https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (16/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 16, 2012, 06:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Ex-Fulham man Dikgacoi hands Palace derby victory over Charlton

Championship: Charlton Athletic 0 Crystal Palace 1

Kagisho Dikgacoi volleyed a classy winner as Crystal Palace overcame south London rivals Charlton in a fiery derby atmosphere at The Valley.

The South African's winner came from a corner on 51 minutes, as he cushioned Damien Delaney's header on his chest before unleashing a controlled volley from 10 yards out.

It could have been different, however, as the hosts had a Bradley Wright-Phillips goal controversially disallowed after 32 minutes.

With father Ian Wright watching in the crowd, Wright-Phillips headed home from a well worked Addicks set piece, but Charlton's cheers were cut short as the linesman raised his flag for offside.

It was a lucky escape for Palace, as replays showed the 27-year-old to be level.

Dougie Freedman's side capitalised on their good fortune for their second consecutive victory, helping them leapfrog Charlton in the table as Chris Powell was left to reflect on Charlton's second loss in a row.

With Charlton languishing in League One for the last two seasons, this was the first time the two sides have met since 2009.

It was an occasion eagerly anticipated by both sets of fans, and kick-off arrived with flares going off in the packed away end.

Crystal Palace started brightest, with England Under-21 international winger Wilfried Zaha in sparkling form on his 100th appearance for the Eagles.

The talented 19-year-old has been linked with a host of Premier League clubs in recent seasons, and on this form it is easy to see why.

After six minutes he got the better of Charlton left back Rhoys Wiggins and his deflected cut-back fell to Dikgacoi, who blasted narrowly over from 12 yards.

Zaha eluded the beleaguered Wiggins for a second time after 12 minutes, his cross again causing havoc in the Charlton box, bouncing off goalkeeper Ben Hamer to Palace's Owen Garvan, whose stabbed effort was cleared off the line by Leon Cort.

Wiggins nightmarish evening came to a premature end when he limped off injured after 22 minutes. Right back Chris Solly slotted in on the left to try and shackle Zaha, with substitute Lawrie Wilson lining on the opposite flank.

Despite spending much of the first period camped in their own half, Charlton thought they had the opener after 32 minutes when Wright-Phillps had his header ruled offside.

That injustice seemed to spark the home side to life as Dale Stephens, who missed out on a move to Aston Villa on transfer deadline day, powered a swerving shot narrowly over from 25 yards.

Charlton were then awarded a free-kick in a central position 20 yards from goal in first-half stoppage time, but skipper Johnnie Jackson's low effort was well held by Julian Speroni.

Despite Chris Powell's side's encouraging end to the first half, Palace were quickly on top again after the break.

The hosts were all over the place after Dikgacoi's superb opener, and winger Yannick Bolasie almost added a second two minutes later but his diagonal shot from the left was well held by Hamer.

Charlton threw on new signing Ricardo Fuller for captain Jackson as they looked to get back into the game, and the big Jamaican almost equalised a few minutes later when his header whistled inches over the bar.

Addicks midfielder Danny Hollands toepoked wide after 71 minutes, but it was Fuller who had the home side's best chances in the nail-biting final stages.

First the former Stoke man shot wide after good work from substitute Wilson on the right and then his deflected effort bounced off the bar before being forced out for a Charlton corner.

Charton keeper Hamer came up for the corner but his header was dramatically cleared off the line by Garvan.

It was desperately close for the home side but Palace held on resolutely to take the three points.

Charlton: Hamer, Wiggins (Wilson 22), Morrison, Cort, Solly, Jackson (c) (Fuller 59), Hollands, Stephens, Pritchard, Kermorgant, Wright-Phillips. Subs not used: Subs: Button, Dervite, Kerkar, Green, Smith.

Crystal Palace: Speroni, Parr, Delaney, Ramage, Blake, Bolasie (Williams 75), Garvan, Blake, Jedinak (c), Dikgacoi, Zaha, Murray (Wilbraham 88). Subs not used: Price, Ward, Moxey, Moritz, Goodwillie,

Referee: T Bates

Attendance: 21,730

http://www.london24.com/sport/league-1/charlton_athletic_2_5812/ex_fulham_man_dikgacoi_hands_palace_derby_victory_over_charlton_1_1517690?

WhiteJC

Transfer Window Assessment

The summer transfer window saw Fulham welcome a total of six new faces to the Club, plus the recent addition of Greek legend Giorgos Karagounis.

Arguably the most high-profile acquisition was that of seven-time Bulgarian Player of the Year Dimitar Berbatov, who put pen to paper on deadline day.

"I think it was a big transfer for this Club," Manager Martin Jol said of his new number nine. "And I think it was necessary because we had [Pavel] Pogrebnyak, we had Bobby Zamora, we had Andy Johnson and we had Orlando Sa and we lost all four of them.

"Then [Mladen] Petric came in, [Hugo] Rodallega came in – that's two out of four, so we needed at least one or two other ones. Dimitar is probably the best player we've ever had here up front so hopefully he can fulfil that expectation and people will see what our players have already seen, and that's that he's got good quality.

"Hugo and Berbatov can play together, or we could even go with Petric and Berbatov. And then you've got Bryan Ruiz too but maybe then you need to go with a slightly different style."

Half of the players that Jol brought in during the summer window were previously plying their trade in the Bundesliga – a domestic league that our Manager knows well.

The Dutchman secured the services of Petric from SV Hamburg, Sascha Riether from FC Cologne, and Ashkan Dejagah from VfL Wolfsburg.

"For me, it was quite obvious that after losing four strikers in the last six months, that we needed quality players and we did that with Petric," he said. "That was an easy one because I knew him. He wanted to join us, he wanted to play in the Barclays Premier League, and he wanted to come to London, so that helped.

"Sascha Riether was at Cologne who got relegated and there's not a lot of players who would like to play in the second division so that was an easy one as well. I knew Sascha from when he was at Wolfsburg when they were champions, in the same team as Dejagah.

"So they played in the same team together already so you don't have to be a professor to come up with those sorts of solutions."

With a considerable revolution having taken place throughout Fulham's strikeforce, the role Marcello Trotta has to play is intriguing.

After scoring eight goals in as many games on loan at Wycombe Wanderers last season, Trotta caught the eye of the Football League but Jol insists the young Italian is needed at Craven Cottage.

"We've had some enquiries for Marcello but as the situation is now I need him here," Jol explained. "He's making big steps and even though we've had enquiries from clubs – some from abroad – to take him on loan, I would like to keep him here.

"Other players will get opportunities now. For example, John Arne Riise was injured a couple of weeks ago so [Matthew] Briggs came in against Manchester United and did well."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/15/transfer-window-assessment?

WhiteJC

Dream Come True

New arrival Ashkan Dejagah will fulfil his boyhood dream of playing in the Barclays Premier League when running out in the black and white of Fulham.

The Iran international joined the Club on the final day of the summer transfer window following eight years in German football – five of which were spent at former club VfL Wolfsburg.

One of several additions, the 26-year-old had to watch fellow new boys Dimitar Berbatov and Kieran Richardson make their debuts against West Ham United last time out – with the talented midfielder forced to miss out as a result of a slight injury.

"I've grown up in Germany, that's where I have played all my football," explained Ashkan. "But for as long as I can remember it has been my dream to play in the English top flight. Wonderful football is played in the Premier League and on top of that it is fast and very aggressive.

"This league is the toughest in the world, so with that comes many challenges. This is a huge step for me, but I'm confident of furthering my career here. I know that I will have to work extremely hard in making sure that happens, but I have everything I need here at Fulham.

"It's a good time to be part of this Club, I know that. In fact, I have to pinch myself to believe that I'm actually here. It's a fantastic feeling – it's a dream come true.

"Of course, I would like to be showing what I can do from the start, but unfortunately at the moment I'm not fully fit. It's not a serious injury, but you can't rush back – no matter how desperate I am to pull on the Fulham shirt."

Dejagah, who has already appeared at Craven Cottage when Wolfsburg travelled to SW6 for the UEFA Europa League Quarter-Final First Leg, will be cheering on his new teammates from the sidelines on Saturday afternoon and is confident Martin Jol's side can take all three points from visiting West Bromwich Albion.

"Even though I won't be involved in the game, I'm really looking forward to being at Craven Cottage and watching the Team take on West Brom," he said. "I've been watching the Team train this week and they look good.

"We lost the last game, so obviously we want the win. I want to sample the atmosphere and support as a Fulham player – it's a moment I will really enjoy. Hopefully the boys can get the result and make it even more of a day to remember.

"The experience will only strengthen my desire to get fit and be out there with them. It's difficult starting out with an injury, but I'm confident that I can get back to my best, find my feet and do well for the Team."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/15/dream-come-true?

WhiteJC

Berbatov is Fulham's best ever striker - Jol

Berbatov at Fulham. Photo: PA

Fulham boss Martin Jol is in no doubt new signing Dimitar Berbatov can ignite the Cottagers' season.

The 31-year-old Bulgarian linked up again with his former Tottenham manager at Craven Cottage after a deadline day move from Manchester United.

Berbatov looks set to lead the Fulham attack on his home debut against West Brom today, and Jol is in no doubt of the quality the former Bayer Leverkusen frontman can bring.

"It was a big transfer for this club. He is probably the best player we have ever had here up front," said Jol, whose side will look to bounce back from their 3-0 defeat at West Ham before the international break.

"Hopefully he can fulfil the expectation and the people will see that he has got good quality.

"It is mixed feelings [after the transfer window] because we lost a lot of players in midfield.

"But we have to get on with the job and then Berbatov came in, and hopefully we have changed that feeling of disappointment a little bit."

Despite also bringing in veteran Greek international Giorgos Karagounis on a free transfer move from Panathinaikos and Iranian midfielder Ashkan Dejagah from Wolfsburg, Jol was left with a rebuilding job after seeing Moussa Dembele join Tottenham, which eventually proved the destination for want-away Clint Dempsey.

The manner of Dempsey's departure continues to irk Jol, who made it clear the American remained an integral part of Fulham's plans despite the player clearly wanting to further his career elsewhere - with Anfield for so long the apparent destination.

"Clint Dempsey wanted to play for a Champions League club, Spurs are probably a Champions League club and stature wise Liverpool are probably a Champions League club, so I can understand it, but to let a player go on the last day is disappointing," the Fulham manager said.

"I really hoped Mousa would stay here then maybe go to the likes of Barcelona or Real Madrid next year, because I really think he is quality.

"He was the man and playing really well, but Spurs paid the clause, so we had to let him go."

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2012-09-15/berbatov-is-fulhams-best-ever-striker-jol/?

WhiteJC

Hughes signs on for another year at Fulham
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 15, 2012

Aaron Hughes celebrates reaching the Europa League final with Zoltan Gera

The way in which Fulham slipped out the news that Aaron Hughes has signed a contract extension to keep him at Craven Cottage just after five o'clock last night rather neatly encapsulated the quiet way in which the no-frills Northern Irish defender has gone about his football career.

Hughes, now 32 and back in the ranks with the 'Green and White Army' after eight years captaining his country, is one of the unsung heroes of a Fulham side that's noticeably shorter on star names these days. The former Newcastle and Aston Villa defender, who made his senior debut at the Camp Nou of all places in November 1997, has developed an almost telepathic understanding with Brede Hanglenad – something which was crucial in shoring up a suspect defence as the Whites miraculously escaped relegation in 2008 – and his reading of the game remains second to none.

When Martin Jol replaced Mark Hughes last season, it initially appeared as though Hughes' versatility would count against him. The Cookstown native was happy to play at full back, as he has done without complaint for club and country throughout his career, to accomodate Philippe Senderos at the heart of the Fulham back four. Even though Senderos has surprised many with his assured performances over the past season and a half, the Hughes-Hangeland partnership took Fulham from the near foot of the Premier League to a Eur0pean final and things look far more assured when they are together at the back.

Hughes, the antidote of the modern celebrity footballer, sounded modest and rather bashful when discussing the new deal.

I am obviously delighted as I have enjoyed my time here so far and to know that I'll be around for another couple of years is a nice thing for me. I've had a lot of good experiences so far and hopefully I'll have more between  now and 2014.

There's absolutely no reason, given the longevity of elite footballers' careers these days, why Hughes shouldn't be part of the Fulham defence beyond that date too.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/09/hughes-signs-on-for-another-year-at-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough 1-5 FFC U18s

A Cauley Woodrow hat-trick helped Fulham secure all three points against Middlesbrough on Saturday, with Steve Wigley's team having now scored 16 goals in just three Barclays U18 Premier League fixtures.

Speaking to fulhamfc.com after the game, U18 Manager Wigley spoke of his pleasure at the application and work rate of his team, who produced a truly scintillating first half performance against Middlesbrough.   

"It was a six hour trip up to Middlesbrough on Friday so we stayed overnight which is always a good experience for the players," said Wigley. "It was a beautiful day today and the facilities at Middlesbrough are fantastic so there could be no excuses.  I'm really pleased the team has delivered today.

"We were 4-0 up at half time and it was the best 45 minutes I've seen in a long time. We were 5-0 ahead after 50 minutes and Cauley Woodrow scored a hat-trick for us.  The other goals came from George Williams and Josh Passley, who scored a fantastic volley at the far post.  It's always nice to get good results but for us it's about the performance, application and work rate."

There was a further bonus for Fulham's Academy on Saturday, with highly rated defender Stephen Arthurworrey making a return to competitive action after a lengthy spell on the sidelines. 

"The group showed really good application today and it was also Stephen Arthurworrey's first game back in a year.  He played for 60 minutes which was a big bonus for him and us because he's a very good player.

"We've finished the week off well and on Monday we will start again with the goal of delivering the same application and work rate in our next game."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/15/u18s-vicory?

WhiteJC

Fulham 3 West Brom 0: Brilliant Berbatov at the double as Baggies fire blanks

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov scored a brace on his home debut to guide Martin Jol's side to a comfortable victory over 10-man West Brom.

The 31-year-old, making his first start since a deadline-day move from Manchester United, opened the scoring in the 32nd minute before adding a second from the penalty spot on the stroke of half-time, with Steve Sidwell adding a third in the closing stages.

West Brom forward Peter Odemwingie was sent off in between Berbatov's strikes for violent conduct as Steve Clarke's side lost their first Barclays Premier League game of the season.

Tucked away: Dimitar Berbatov struck his second goal from the spot

The second-half was noticeable for a string of superb saves from West Brom goalkeeper Ben Foster as Fulham failed to add to their lead until the last minute when Sidwell volleyed home.

The home side dominated possession in the opening stages as they pinned West Brom onto the edge of their own penalty area but it was Baggies' winger James Morrison who produced the first effort of quality.

On a rare early foray forward the winger, who signed a new contract yesterday, collected the ball from Billy Jones before forcing a smart save from Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

Jones then pulled a low cross back across goal but neither Shane Long or Marc-Antoine Fortune had gambled on making a run and the ball was eventually cleared.

Fulham's early dominance subsided but they were still looking lively in the final third without testing Foster in the visitor's goal and the final ball lacked quality on a number of occasions.

Easy: Berbatov sent the keeper the wrong way

Berbatov's goal came just after the half-hour mark following some good work from Alex Kacaniklic.

The young winger showed good feet when surrounded by three West Brom defenders before rolling the ball into Berbatov who bent his effort inside Foster's left-hand post.

West Brom came close to an immediate equaliser as Berbatov fouled James Morrison and from the resulting free-kick Fulham skipper Brede Hangeland managed to throw himself in from of Jonas Olsson's shot to keep his side ahead.

Exquisite: Berbatov curls home his first

Moments later West Brom were reduced to 10 men when Peter Odemwingie was shown a straight red card by Roger East for kicking out at Sascha Riether right in front of the dugouts.

Berbatov, who seemed to be at the centre of all of Fulham's decent play, came close to adding a second in the 40th minute but his diving header flew past the post.

The hosts were awarded a penalty in first-half injury time when Jones fouled the busy Kacaniklic after the 21-year-old had beaten him for pace inside the box.

Berbatov stepped up confidently and sent former Manchester United team-mate Foster the wrong way to double Fulham's lead at the interval.

On song: The brilliant Bulgarian was near his effervescent best

Clarke made two changes at the start of the second-half, replacing Long and Fortune with Chris Brunt and Romelu Lukaku.

But it was Fulham who continued to press, looking to make their numerical advantage count.

Brunt forced Schwarzer to tip a long-range effort over the crossbar just after the hour and the Northern Ireland midfielder's corner then hit the outside of Schwarzer's post.

Clarke's other half-time introduction then tested Schwarzer as Lukaku was picked out by Brunt before shooting low and hard at the Australian.

Foster then made a low save from Sidwell's long-range effort and managed to claw the loose ball away from the on-rushing Damien Duff.

Untouchable: West Brom could not contain Berbatov

Get out: Peter Odemwingie was sent off for violent conduct

The former England goalkeeper then palmed Duff's own deflected shot from the edge of the box behind for a corner as Fulham started to take a stranglehold on proceedings.

Only Foster was keeping West Brom in the game as he once again did superbly well to tip Hugo Rodallega's shot around the post after more probing play from Duff.

Despite struggling to maintain Fulham's attacking players Clarke decided to introduce Markus Rosenberg from the bench with 15 minutes remaining in an attempt to claw a goal back.

Foolish: Odemwingie will regret his actions

Foster continued to pull off save after save and denied both Berbatov and Rodallega towards the end of the game.

But he was powerless to stop Sidwell adding the third with only a minute to go.

Wrap up: Steve Sidwell (left) scored the third

Foster kept substitute Pajtim Kasami's front-post cross from sneaking in before Rodallega headed the rebound onto the crossbar.

The loose ball fell to Sidwell who lashed the ball into the empty net.

Raring to go: It was a good afternoon for Fulham

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2202211/Fulham-3-West-Brom-0-Dimitar-Berbatov-scores-Cottagers-goals.html#ixzz26btyYgAm

WhiteJC

Berba double downs Baggies
Odemwingie sent off as Fulham run out 3-0 winners

Dimitar Berbatov opens the scoring for Fulham on his home debut

Dimitar Berbatov enjoyed a dream home debut as Fulham powered their way to a 3-0 victory at Craven Cottage and inflicted a first defeat of the season on West Bromwich Albion.

Steve Sidwell grabbed a late goal for the Cottagers, who played against ten men for the whole of the second half after Peter Odemwingie's sending-off, but the star of the show was Berbatov with two goals.

The Bulgarian looked in the mood right from the start and broke the deadlock with a sublime finish into the top corner from just inside the area after 32 minutes.

Any chance of a Baggies comeback had evaporated by half-time, with Odemwingie shown a straight red card for a wild kick at Sascha Riether and Berbatov then making it 2-0 from the penalty spot after Billy Jones had brought down the impressive Alex Kacaniklic.

West Brom fought hard after the interval but rarely threatened Mark Schwarzer's goal and Sidwell put the icing on the cake for Fulham with a volley from close range in the 89th minute.

Foray forward

The home side dominated possession in the opening stages as they pinned West Brom onto the edge of their own penalty area but it was Baggies' winger James Morrison who produced the first effort of quality.

On a rare early foray forward the winger, who signed a new contract on Friday, collected the ball from Billy Jones before forcing a smart save from Fulham goalkeeper Schwarzer.

Jones then pulled a low cross back across goal but neither Shane Long or Marc-Antoine Fortune had gambled on making a run and the ball was eventually cleared.

Fulham's early dominance subsided but they were still looking lively in the final third without testing Foster in the visitor's goal and the final ball lacked quality on a number of occasions.

Berbatov's goal came just after the half-hour mark following some good work from Kacaniklic. The young winger showed good feet when surrounded by three West Brom defenders before rolling the ball into Berbatov who bent his effort inside Foster's left-hand post.

West Brom came close to an immediate equaliser as Berbatov fouled Morrison and from the resulting free-kick Fulham skipper Brede Hangeland managed to throw himself in from of Jonas Olsson's shot to keep his side ahead.

Moments later West Brom were reduced to 10 men when Odemwingie was shown a straight red card by Roger East for kicking out at Riether right in front of the dugouts.

Berbatov, who seemed to be at the centre of all of Fulham's decent play, came close to adding a second in the 40th minute but his diving header flew past the post.

The hosts were awarded a penalty in first-half injury time when Jones fouled the busy Kacaniklic after the 21-year-old had beaten him for pace inside the box.

Berbatov stepped up confidently and sent former Manchester United team-mate Foster the wrong way to double Fulham's lead at the interval.

Steve Clarke made two changes at the start of the second-half, replacing Long and Fortune with Chris Brunt and Romelu Lukaku.

But it was Fulham who continued to press, looking to make their numerical advantage count.

Stranglehold

Brunt forced Schwarzer to tip a long-range effort over the crossbar just after the hour and the Northern Ireland midfielder's corner then hit the outside of Schwarzer's post.

Clarke's other half-time introduction then tested Schwarzer as Lukaku was picked out by Brunt before shooting low and hard at the Australian.

Foster then made a low save from Sidwell's long-range effort and managed to claw the loose ball away from the on-rushing Damien Duff.

The former England goalkeeper then palmed Duff's own deflected shot from the edge of the box behind for a corner as Fulham started to take a stranglehold on proceedings.

Only Foster was keeping West Brom in the game as he once again did superbly well to tip Hugo Rodallega's shot around the post after more probing play from Duff.

Despite struggling to maintain Fulham's attacking players Clarke decided to introduce Markus Rosenberg from the bench with 15 minutes remaining in an attempt to claw a goal back.

Foster continued to pull off save after save and denied both Berbatov and Rodallega towards the end of the game.

But he was powerless to stop Sidwell adding the third with only a minute to go.

Foster kept substitute Pajtim Kasami's front-post cross from sneaking in before Rodallega headed the rebound onto the crossbar.

The loose ball fell to Sidwell who lashed the ball into the empty net.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8081118?

WhiteJC

Fulham 3 West Bromwich Albion 0: match report
Read a full match report of the Premier League game between Fulham and West Bromwich Albion at Craven Cottage on Saturday Sep 15 2012.

Double delight: Dimitar Berbatov celebrates with Fulham team-mate Steve Sidwell after the Bulgarioan bagged a brace at Craven Cottage
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Dimitar Berbatov clearly started this contest intent on making a point. And by the time he raised both arms skywards, pointing two fingers into the air to celebrate his two goals, he certainly had done.

Having departed Manchester United acrimoniously after frequently being forced to sit on the substitutes' bench despite being the Premier League's top scorer, it was no surprise that he was celebrating success on his first start for Fulham as they ruined West Bromwich Albion's unbeaten start to the season.

Berbatov is the hero that the club have been pining for in the wake of losing key attackers Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey. Here, he showed that he can be a worthy focal point in the final third. His movement, his touch and his nonchalant swagger were all on show and he was rewarded with two goals – both assisted by the outstanding Alexander Kacaniklic – as Fulham eased to victory against an Albion side who will rue Peter Odemwingie's first-half red card for kicking out at Sascha Riether.

Fulham had just snatched the lead in a tight contest, so a sense of frustration in their ranks was understandable, but the ferocity of Odemwingie's reaction was still inexcusable. Shortly afterwards, Berbatov added a second, before Steve Sidwell's late clincher. Berbatov impressed throughout and, despite his infamous laid-back reputation, his work-rate was high – though Fulham manager Martin Jol did not feel the player had a point to prove.

"Whenever he played he was one of the top scorers," said the Dutchman. "That performance was important because we lost our best players. It was a different system."

The initial stalemate was ended in the 18th minutes, when Kacaniklic cut inside from the left, skilfully ran at the defence at pace on the way to the edge of the 18-yard box and squared to his right. Berbatov, in space, trapped the ball then curled it beyond Ben Foster's grasp and into far corner.

The last thing that Albion needed at that stage was a loss of composure and focus – but Odemwingie's moment of stupidity followed after he kicked Riether once the defender dispossessed him. Yet Steve Clarke, the West Brom manager, was sympathetic. "We're all human," he said. "Everybody has emotions. He [Odemwingie] felt he should have had a had a free kick and the red mist came down. We had started slowly."

They had started slowly but that incident meant that a tense contest swung in Fulham's favour. The home crowd did not have to wait long for that second goal to arrive for their new striker and, again, he had Kacaniklic to thank. The midfielder once more made a piercing run and was fouled by a flustered Billy Jones – who looked tired after being given the runaround – leading to a penalty. Berbatov, looking typically casual, stroked in from the spot as Foster went the wrong way.

Albion showed the right attitude in the second period but the game already looked lost. As the half wore on, there were a procession of Fulham chances with Foster doing well to keep out a series of efforts from the likes of Damien Duff, Hugo Rodallega and the still-menacing Berbatov. He could do little though, in the closing stages, when a Rodallega header hit the bar and Steve Sidwell followed up to complete a comfortable win. Berbatov would have liked a hat-trick but he will still go home a very happy man.

Match details
Fulham (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Riether, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise; Duff (Smith 90), Baird, Sidwell, Kacaniklic (Kasami 84); Rodallega; Berbatov.
Subs: Stockdale (gk), Kelly, Karagounis, Briggs, Trotta.

West Brom (4-2-3-1): Foster; Jones, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell; Mulumbu, Yacob (Rosenberg 76); Odemwingie, Morrison, Fortune (Brunt 46); Long (Lukaku 46).
Subs: Myhill (gk), Dorrans, Gera, Dawson.
Sent off: Odemwingie.

Referee: Roger East (Wiltshire).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9538076/Fulham-3-West-Bromwich-Albion-0-match-report.html

WhiteJC

Fulham's Dimitar Berbatov hits home double past West Bromwich Albion

Fulham's goalscorer Dimitar Berbatov, left, takes a shot during a 3-0 home win against West Bromwich Albion.
Photograph: Andrew Cowie/AFP/Getty Images

Martin Jol was full of praise for Dimitar Berbatov after he had marked his home debut with two goals at the expense of . More unusually, however, the Fulham manager was appreciative of the all-round effort of his 31-year-old signing from Manchester United.

"I think he did more than he has ever done before in his life," the Dutchman said. "He was at the back, he was in midfield, he was up front and he scored a good goal so I was happy.

Berbatov helped to fill the gap left by the departure of Clint Dempsey to Tottenham as he helped his new side to a comfortable victory over a visiting team reduced to 10 men in the first half when Peter Odemwingie was sent off for kicking Sascha Riether.

For his first goal, Berbatov bent the ball inside a post past the excellent Ben Foster; the second came from a penalty at the end of the first half. Steve Sidwell added the third in the 89th minute as Fulham secured their second win of the season.

Jol is hopeful that his new Bulgarian forward can keep the goals coming for Fulham. "That is a challenge for him," he said. "I think he scored 23 goals when I had him at Spurs. I'm sure that if he is fit then he will do what Clint Dempsey did for us.

"My whole midfield was new, my front-line was new, [we played] a different system. I was really pleased they stepped up a gear to satisfy us. We lost five midfield players and no-one came in so I was very pleased with Bairdy [Chris Baird] and [Steve] Sidwell."

West Brom's head coach, Steve Clarke, suffered his first league defeat in charge of the team. "I was disappointed with the way we started the game," he said. "I thought we allowed Fulham to get too much control in the game, we started slowly and suffered for that because we lost a goal. The biggest disappointment in the first half was losing the second goal right on half-time."

But Clarke refused to use the dismissal of Odemwingie as an excuse and was more content with how his side performed after half-time. "We are all human, everybody has got emotions," he said. "He thought he had a free-kick against him, the red mist obviously came down and he will take his punishment.

"He will get his three-game ban and the club have got a disciplinary process we will go through, and we move on. In football it happens, people get sent off. I was happier with the second-half performance. I think we approached the game well second half and we tried to cause a few problems."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/15/fulham-west-bromwich-albion-premier-league?

WhiteJC

Jol - Berbatov was different
Fulham boss delighted with Bulgarian's display against West Brom

Martin Jol praised the all-round performance of Dimitar Berbatov after the Bulgarian netted twice on his home debut for Fulham in a 3-0 win over West Bromwich Albion.

Berbatov opened the scoring with a fine finish just after the half-hour mark, before Fulham's task became easier with the sending-off of Peter Odemwingie.

It was 2-0 on the stroke of half-time when Berbatov tucked away a penalty following a foul by Billy Jones on Alex Kacaniklic, and Steve Sidwell added a third in the 89th minute.

Jol believes Berbatov has shown throughout his career that he is a force to be reckoned with, but it was his willingness to accept responsibility and work hard for the team that most impressed the manager.

"It is almost a habit because we had the same with (Pavel) Pogrebnyak last season and Mladen Petric in the first game against Norwich," Jol told Sky Sports.

"I think he was different than I have seen him before. He was all over the pitch, he was heading balls away from his own goal, he was in midfield, he was winning balls, he was up front.

"He had to play in the hole and be the sort of anchor man and he did that, so I was ever so pleased because we did not have a No.10."

Asked if Berbatov was unplayable when he is in the mood, Jol replied: "I don't know about unplayable but when I had him at Spurs he was a top striker, when he was at Leverkusen he was a top striker and I think he did ever so well for Man United.Jol - We dominated throughout

"He was their top scorer all the time so hopefully he can do the same here."

Jol was pleased with the way Fulham started the match but expressed disappointment with their second-half performance after West Brom battled hard with ten men.

"That was the only criticism. We were two goals up and should have taken the game away from them, but we didn't do that," he explained.

"We should have scored the third goal earlier, but I thought we dominated the game even before the sending-off."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8081364?

WhiteJC

Classy Berbatov makes himself feel at home
Fulham 3 West Bromwich Albion 0

When Fulham signed Dimitar Berbatov on the final day of the summer transfer window, some fans must have thought that the languid Bulgarian represented a poor replacement for Clint Dempsey, who is two years younger and a lot more dynamic. In the long term they may be proved right, but yesterday it looked a more than fair exchange.

Not only did Berbatov score twice on his home debut, with a superb curling effort and a clinical penalty, but he was also spotted winning challenges in midfield, executing a sliding challenge to dispossess an opponent, and heading away a corner-kick.

"He was at the back, he was in midfield, he was up front, he scored a good goal," Martin Jol, the Fulham manager, said. "I think he did more than he ever did in his life before. Dimitar wanted to give us this result. If he's fit, he will hopefully do what Clint Dempsey did for us."

It helped that West Bromwich Albion contributed to their own downfall. They were defending an unbeaten record and had an outside chance of finishing the match as Premier League leaders if they had won, but they played most of this game with 10 men after the dismissal of Peter Odemwingie for a kick at Sascha Riether.

They had begun confidently. James Morrison fired in an early range-finder that Mark Schwarzer was forced to flick over the bar, while Shane Long was a constant irritant to the home defence.

Albion's own rearguard had an easy time as Fulham's crosses drifted harmlessly across goal with neither Berbatov nor Hugo Rodallega able to anticipate them.

But as Berbatov warmed up and his passes found their targets, the defenders began to have more to think about. Billy Jones, an attack-minded right-back, was suddenly finding Alexander Kacaniklic a handful and a firm tackle by Jonas Olsson on Rodallega spared his blushes after he had allowed the Swedish winger to cross.

But there was no reprieve after 32 minutes when Kacaniklic turned Jones inside out down the left before passing to Berbatov, 15 yards out. The Bulgarian took a touch, looked up and swerved the ball round Ben Foster. Marc-Antoine Fortuné gave Jones a consoling pat, which took less effort than helping him out with Kacaniklic.

It was only the second goal West Brom had conceded this season, and things rapidly went downhill for the visitors with the departure of Odemwingie after 38 minutes. Dispossessed by Riether, he flicked out a boot at the right- back, and when that barely made contact, he kicked out viciously, with the ball nowhere.

"We're all human, we all have emotions," the West Brom manager Steve Clarke said. "He felt it was a free-kick to us and the red mist came down. It certainly didn't help but we gave Fulham too much space."

Perhaps the sensible thing at that stage would have been to see out the half and re-group. Jones, though, seemed to have other ideas. He launched a swashbuckling run into the Fulham penalty area, but it ended with the ball running harmlessly through to Schwarzer, and it may be that the long sprint back to his position had tired him out – because he got nowhere near the ball as he attempted to dispossess Kacaniklic in the penalty area in the 45th minute. It was the clearest of penalties and Berbatov planted the ball calmly past Foster.

West Brom tried to get back into the game, and substitutes Romelu Lukaku and Chris Brunt both forced saves from Schwarzer, but Fulham were making the most of the extra space. Damien Duff and Steve Sidwell both had shots saved by Foster, one of which was deflected off Berbatov, who would surely have claimed a hat-trick if it had gone in. Eventually Fulham scored a third, Sidwell blasting home the rebound after Rodallega's header had hit the woodwork.

Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Reither, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise; Duff (Smith, 90), Sidwell, Baird, Kakaniklic (Kasami, 84); Berbatov, Rodalegga.

West Bromwich Albion (4-2-3-1): Foster; Jones, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell; Mulumbu, Yacob (Rosenberg, 76); Odemwingie, Morrison, Fortune (Lukaku, h-t); Long (Brunt, h-t).

Referee: Roger East.

Man of the match: Berbatov (Fulham)

Match rating: 6/10

Half-time: 2-0 Att: 25,691

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/classy-berbatov-makes-himself-feel-at-home-8142250.html

WhiteJC

Jol Reaction

Martin Jol was delighted with his Team's performance on Saturday as the Whites secured a 3-0 win over West Bromwich Albion at Craven Cottage.

Jol was quick to praise his entire side on Saturday for producing a sterling performance despite a number of key players missing through injury.

"I was ever so pleased with the win because we had nine injuries," Jol explained. "We had a long list and there were not a lot of options. We had a very young bench today.

"My whole midfield and front line was new. I was very pleased with Chris Baird and Steve Sidwell. It was a different system and we only had one day to prepare. At home we are much stronger than we are away from home but it's also pleasing because we kept a clean sheet."

Berbatov was the star of the show with a brace on his home debut and Jol is confident the striker will continue to score goals aplenty, as he has throughout his career in the Barclays Premier League.

"I feel that he [Berbatov] is no different from when he was scoring goals at Spurs and Manchester United," said Jol. "Luckily enough he did the same for us today.

"Dimitar was top scorer even when he was not playing at Manchester United. Wherever he has played he has been one of the top scorers in England. Even last year when he didn't play all the games he had 20 or 21 goals.

"He had other options and there were other clubs in England that wanted him but it was a good opportunity for us. I was pleased because it was the first time Dimitar and Hugo Rodallega have ever played together and they worked their socks off."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/15/jol-reaction?

WhiteJC

A Strong Performance

Brede Hangeland was delighted with Fulham's winning performance against West Bromwich Albion on Saturday and the Norway international is evidently excited to have star striker Dimitar Berbatov at FFC.

"It was a very good overall performance on Saturday and I was really pleased for Dimitar [Berbatov] to score two goals on his home debut," said Hangeland.

"Obviously we're really happy for him but we all knew his quality. We've played against him in the past and seen him do incredible stuff for many years now. It's great to see him here at Fulham."

Fulham's new-look attack gave West Brom's defence a torrid time in SW6 and Hangeland is hoping the Whites can deliver a repeat performance at Wigan Athletic next weekend.

"I thought we dominated the game," Hangeland explained. "Obviously when they had a man sent off it made it easier for us, but I thought we were good value for the three points.

"We knew we had Hugo [Rodallega] and Dimitar in attack and we wanted to try and dominate the game and make life hard for West Brom, as we always should against any team at home.

"There have been a lot of changes and there are a lot of new faces but we managed to perform really well as team and play some nice football against West Brom. We're really happy with how things went.

"In the two home games we've been brilliant and we've got to try and do that away from home now. I think we've proved to everyone that we can play really good football and do well so we'll try and carry that on next weekend against Wigan."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/15/hangeland-reaction?

WhiteJC

Berbatov provides touch of class - Fulham 3-0 West Brom

It's, unfortunately, quite sobering when you realise that a player well out in the fringes at Manchester United can have such a cosmic impact upon a top ten team. It highlights the vast divide between Premier League teams and Dimitar Berbatov, the man in question, proved this point quite poetically today.

Fulham fans will not moan, though, because the former United man grabbed a brace and performed heroically as Fulham made if eight goals in two home games with a fine 3-0 victory over 10-man West Bromwich Albion. Away form aside, Martin Jol seems to be making a distinctly potent outfit and with Berbatov spearheading an attack that could potentially include an instrumental Hugo Rodallega, an inspired Mladen Petric and a classy Bryan Ruiz, teams around us should be getting somewhat worried.

West Brom certainly were. They started timidly, rarely pushing into the Fulham half but when they did, with James Morrison collecting a Billy Jones pass, Mark Schwarzer was tested.

Steve Clarke's side were reduced to few chances after that, however, as the home side began to dictate play - Chris Baird in particular passing well and linking play superbly.

Half an hour in an Fulham's dominance began to bear fruit as Alex Kacaniklic, who had a dream afternoon and perhaps put in one of his best performances in White, teed up Berbatov. The former Tottenham man proceeded to bend the ball sublimely around Ben Foster and Jol breathed a sigh of relief.

It wasn't long before the win was secured - though not through any further intrusion on the scoreline. A moment of madness from Peter Odemwingie led to his dismissal as the forward - deployed on the right of midfield on this occasion - lashed out at Sacha Riether. The red was both justified and deserved.

Berbatov, now beginning to control the match with his own talent-induced force field, came close with a diving header but his second would soon follow. Again, Kacaniklic was involved, as the winger won a penalty for the home side. Berbatov sent Foster the wrong way and West Brom were now, surely, more concerned with damage limitation.

Clarke made two changes to his side over the break in an attempt to change the path of the game and, to an extent, the plan worked. The Baggies looked more lively in the second period but, in truth, never looked particularly threatening. Chris Brunt forced a save from long range before striking the post from his own corner.

With that spell of optimistic venturing over, Fulham yet again took the driver's seat. Ben Foster made some exemplary saves as first he denied Steve Sidwell and then an on-rushing Damien Duff. Duff then returned with more venom but a deflected shot still couldn't fool Foster who, despite ending up on the losing side, put in a masterful shift.

Hugo Rodallega, who, despite not getting a goal was influential throughout, tested Foster twice and Berbatov tried again but all seemed in vain. That was until Sidwell popped up in the last minute of normal time with only an empty net to answer to.

That made it 3-0 and that left the impression we hoped it would: come to Craven Cottage and expect the toughest of challenges.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/9/15/3337756/berbatov-touch-of-class-fulham-3-0-west-brom-odemwingie?

WhiteJC

Fulham 3 West Brom 0

If by magic we could play all our games at home, wouldn`t life be fun?

Instead of hoping to get into the Europa League by snatching that final place or by the Fair Play League, we`d be chasing down a Champions League place.

Which begs you to ask why are we so good at home yet so abject on the road?

Today was a classic example. We welcomed a West Brom side who had started the season well and who were not conceding gaols, and we batered them.

Okay they may have given us a helping hand when Peter Odemwingie (my Away Player to Watch in the match preview) decided that he`d have a mad moment and give John Arne Riise a kick up the backside, thereby getting a red card, but we were miles better than them.

Dimitar Berbatov, making his first start in a Fulham shirt, tried his best to justify the claim that Martin Jol made before the game, about him being the best front player we`ve ever had with a sparkling finish for the first goal (on 32 minutes) curling the ball around several players and the keeper, before adding a second on the stroke of half time courtesy of a foul, by Jones, on Kacaniklic, from the penalty spot, but we were genuinely miles better.

Sure, after the break West Brom regrouped and had the occasional foray forward but without Ben Foster in their goal they`d have been trounced. What was amazing was that we didn`t get that third until the final moments when Steve Sidwell got on the score-sheet, but all in all it was a pleasant day beside the Thames and that wish about playing all our games at home - if only!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=293418#ixzz26c0LCcfK

WhiteJC

Berbatov batters the Baggies

As far as Martin Jol was concerned the only silver lining in Fulham's dismal defeat at West Ham a fortnight ago was that he had been reunited with Dimitar Berbatov. 'The only positive was to see his class and quality again,' smiled a wistful Jol. 'I've missed it'. Even the Bulgarian couldn't overturn a half-time 3-0 deficit at the Boleyn Ground but, after being handed a first Premier League start in six months by his new boss, Berbatov wasted little time in demonstrating just how he might enjoy life at Craven Cottage as a first-half brace ended West Brom's unbeaten start under Steve Clarke.

Albion arrived in the capital confident that could end a 45 year wait for a league win at Fulham and Clarke resisted the temptation to tinker with the side that surprised Everton on September 1, which meant that Cottage cult hero Zoltan Gera spent the afternoon being seranded from the sidelines. The visitors didn't see too much of the ball in the early exchanges but still fashioned the first chances with James Morrison drawing a fine save out of Mark Schwarzer from 20 yards after the Australian goalkeeper had easily fielded an early sighter from Peter Odemwingie. Those warnings seemed to spur Fulham into life as their pretty passing patterns had lacked penetration before Alex Kacaniklic came to the fore.

The Swedish international has started the new season the way he finished the last, having forced his way into the Fulham first eleven after an impressive loan spell with Watford, and he made both of Berbatov's first two goals for his new club. The former Liverpool winger surged beyond Billy Jones, whom he tormented all afternoon, into the penalty area before Fulham's new striker curled his cute cut-back around a helpless Ben Foster from fifteen yards. A matter of seconds after Jones had been denied a chance to equalise at the other end by a fine saving tackle from Aaron Hughes, Kacaniklic was running at the unfortunate full-back again and after Jones' rash decision to dive in, Roger East had little option but to award a spot-kick, which Berbatov dispatched with the minimum of fuss. The former Manchester United man might have been celebrating a first half hat-trick had he steered a free header the right side of the post from Kacaniklic's inviting cross four minutes earlier.

In between the two goals that made West Brom's task uneviable, Odemwingie was sent off for an inexplicable kick at Sascha Riether's groin in full view of btoh the referee and his assistant. There was little prospect of the Baggies turning the tide, so confidently were Fulham stroking the ball around at this point, but the Nigerian's moment of madness, sparked by a soft confession of possession to the German defender, made things far more difficult for his team-mates. Clarke shuffled his pack, sending on-loan striker Romelu Lukaku and club captain Chris Brunt on at half-time, and both tested Mark Schwarzer in a sustained spell of second-half pressure from the visitors, but Fulham always looked likely to add to their advantage, with Chris Baird's raking passes inviting Hugo Rodallega and Damien Duff to make the most of their numerical advantage.

Berbatov sent an ambitious effort over from the corner of the area, before two fabulous reaction saves from Foster denied Duff a deserved goal on his 350th Premier League appearance. The one-time England international showed terrific reflexes to get his gloves to Hugo Rodallega's powerful drive – which deflected off Jonas Olsson on its way towards goal and susbtitute Pajtim Kasami sent a cross-cum-shot right across the face of goal.

The third did duly arrive a minute from time despite Foster's best efforts: the goalkeeper palmed away Kasami's cross, but was stranded once Rodallega's header came back off the crossbar, allowing Steve Sidwell a simple tap-in. Jol smiled broadly and sent on young Alex Smith for his Fulham debut, but his attention will now turn towards a difficult trip to Wigan in a week's time and ending the Whites' unfathomable away day blues.

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Schwarzer; Riether, J.A. Riise, Hughes, Hangeland; Baird, Sidwell; Duff (Smith 90), Kacanaklic (Kasami 84), Rodallega; Berbatov. Subs (not used): Stockdale, Kelly, Briggs, Karagounis, Trotta.

GOALS: Berbatov (32, pen 45), Sidwell (89).

WEST BROMWICH ALBION (4-2-3-1): Foster; Jones, Ridgewell, McAuley, Olsson; Yacob (Rosenberg 76), Mulumbu; Odemwingie, Morrison, Fortune (Lukaku 45); Long (Brunt 45). Subs (not used): Myhill, Dawson, Dorrans, Gera.

REFEREE: Roger East

ATTENDANCE: 25,691

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/09/berbatov-batters-the-baggies/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 3-0 WBA

All the misery seems misplaced now. Central midfield problem? Not when the back-up back-up plan can run a game against decent opposition. Chris Baird and his messier partner, Steve Sidwell, proved once again that at a stable club no single player is indispensible, no five players even. We can lament the mislaying of Dempsey, Dembele, Murphy, Etuhu and all the other stalwarts of days of yore, but there is much to be excited about, too.

Dimitar Berbatov for one. We had been very excited about him, of course, but today he proved that the strolling reputation is partly an exaggeration: he cares, as witnessed when he showed his frustration with his new, non-Champions League team-mates.

Equally, he shared the love when others' play merited it. Alex Kacaniklic, thrown away by an increasingly hilarious Liverpool, was in rare form on the left wing, and his jinking directness set up Berbatov's goals. For the first he drew three players, passed inside, and Berbatov only needed the second he got to control aim fire. Ha. Class.

The second was a penalty after Kacaniklic had sped outside his full-back and been tripped. At first it looked like Hugo Rodallega wanted it but there is a pecking order for these things and that begins with the superstar, who made Ben Foster fly in the wrong direction and putted home.

Berbatov said thank you to his friend on the wing, which is how it should be.

West Brom also had a man sent off, Peter Odemwingie swinging a boot into a space that Sascha Riether occupied. Riether exploded into the air as if he'd trodden on a landmine, and it looked as if Odemwingie had to go. I have my doubts, even after seeing the replay. I think it might just have been a really unfortunate accident, but perhaps not. Either way, it more or less killed the game, if not Riether, who was able to regain his composure and soldiered on.

The second half was okay. Foster made some splendid saves, especially from Duff after the latter walloped a trademark howitzer from the edge of the box, which may have deflected on the way. He made a handful of further saves to keep the game tight, but was ultimately powerless to stop a Steve Sidwell strike from close in, Kasami and Rodallega (both trying far too hard to make an impression in the second half) both having a go before Sidwell bundled a bouncing ball into an empty net.

Another good home win. We kept the ball fabulously well at times, and in Riise we have a full-back at the top of his game. Duff is putting in a Simon Davies c.2007 season whereby he's 8/10 every match, and the other attacking players all did well enough. Berbatov visibly slowed towards the end but his debut was all we might dared have hope for. It's hard to describe how exciting it is to have a player like this in front of you. It didn't all work out for him but the class is shining through already. Fantastic.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/fulham-3-0-wba/?

WhiteJC

Jol impressed with Berbatov's professionalism

Martin Jol hailed Dimitar Berbatov's professionalism and eagerness to impress after the Bulgarian marked his first start for Fulham with a first-half brace that set Jol's side on their way to a comfortable win over West Brom.

Jol felt the Berbatov who orchestrated much of Fulham's approach play this afternoon was somewhat different to the striker he had last worked with at Tottenham. The Fulham manager also explained that, after injury robbed him of Croatian forward Mladen Petric, Berbatov had to play in a slightly different role behind Hugo Rodallega as the home side were also without the services of Bryan Ruiz.

I think he was different than I have seen him before. He was all over the pitch, he was heading balls away from his own goal, he was in midfield, he was winning balls, he was up front. He had to play in the hole and be the sort of anchor man and he did that, so I was ever so pleased because we did not have a number 10.

I don't know about unplayable but when I had him at Spurs he was a top striker, when he was at Leverkusen he was a top striker and I think he did ever so well for Manchester United. He was their top scorer all the time so hopefully he can do the same here.

That was the only criticism. We were two goals up and should have taken the game away from them, but we didn't do that. We should have scored the third goal earlier, but I thought we dominated the game even before the sending-off.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/09/jol-impressed-with-berbatovs-professionalism/?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder insists WBA red card played no part in 3-0 win.

CHRIS Baird dismissed the notion Fulham got lucky when WBA had a player sent off in the first half.

As the midfielder pointed out, his side were already 2-0 up by then – although watching Peter Odemwingie taking the long walk back to the Cottage changing rooms after a wild swing was a bonus.

The 10 versus 11 for the remaining 53 minutes provided Baird and pals a chance to cement a second home win on the spin – helped in some style by the performance of two-goal Dimitar Berbatov on his home debut.

Baird said: "The sending-off was obviously a help, but sometimes these things don't always go your way.

"But we got the third goal and that killed them off.

"You obviously hear Dimi's name and you think world class.

"I was right behind his first goal, and the way he got it out from his feet and curled it in was perfect. Let's hope there's more of the same.

"He was down the pecking order at Manchester United and wanted to come to a club where he can get a few games – and that's all the better for us."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/15/82029-31842524/?#ixzz26c2I3UNA