more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (17/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 17, 2012, 04:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jol hails Berbatov

Fulham boss Martin Jol sang the praises of Dimitar Berbatov following his starring role in the victory over West Brom and is hopeful he can fill the goalscoring void left by the departure of Clint Dempsey.

Berbatov struck a brace on his home debut as Jol's side eased to a comfortable victory over a Baggies team reduced to 10 men in the first half when Peter Odemwingie was sent off for kicking Sascha Riether.

The first goal saw the 31-year-old take control of the ball and bend it inside Ben Foster's post, with the second coming from a penalty at the end of the first half. Steve Sidwell added the third in the 89th minute to seal Fulham's second win of the season.

As well as opening his goalscoring account for Fulham, Berbatov also contributed from a defensive point of view and Jol was happy with his all-round performance.

"I think he did more than he has ever done before in his life," the Dutchman said."He was at the back, he was in midfield, he was up-front and he scored a good goal so I was happy.

"I think he scored 23 goals when I had him at Spurs. I'm sure that if he is fit then he will do what Clint Dempsey did for us [last season]."

- Mark Bryans

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/jol-hails-berbatov-3230078.html?

WhiteJC

Key To Victory

Martin Jol's faith in Fulham's talented pool of Academy graduates was rewarded again on Saturday as Alex Kačaniklić delivered a first-class performance against West Bromwich Albion.

Kačaniklić played a pivotal role in both of Fulham's first-half strikes and the Swedish winger was delighted to have helped the Team to return to winning ways and link up so well with two-goal hero Dimitar Berbatov.

"It was the perfect result for us on Saturday after a few losses before the international break," said Kačaniklić. "To get back to winning ways was really important for us.

"Everyone was really up for the game and we just wanted to get out there and play. It was a really good game and great for Dimitar Berbatov to score his first goals for the Club. It was great playing with him and everyone is delighted he's here.

"He must be delighted scoring two goals on his home debut, but it wasn't just the goals – he played so well for us and we linked up well a couple of times."

Kačaniklić gave West Brom's defence a torrid time and the starlet is hoping his performance will earn him further opportunities in the coming weeks.

"I'm really happy and it's going really well for me at the moment," Kačaniklić explained. "I just want to keep on going and hopefully start more matches. The Manager gave me pat on the back and told me to do the same in the next game I play."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/16/kacaniklic-reaction?

WhiteJC

Not a Bad Start!

Signed for a mere £4 million, Dimitar Berbatov made his first start for Fulham yesterday.

And some start it was.

The Bulgarian scored a brace (one from the spot) as Fulham got back to winning ways after losing away to both Manchester United and Fulham.

Speaking, after the match, about the striker he`s heralded as the finest Fulham have ever had, Martin Jol enthused,

"I think he did more than he ever did before in his life."

"He was at the back, he was in midfield, he was up front. He scored a good goal. So I was happy."

Hopefully Dimitar can keep this up week in and week out and become a Cottage legend.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=293478#ixzz26h50Iz8v

WhiteJC

Damien Duff: 350 not out
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 16, 2012

Fulham's Damien Duff made his 350th Premier League appearance yesterday

After a European Championships that he's still 'trying to forget' and the prospect of young wingers like Alex Kacaniklic and Kerim Frei pushing him hard for a place in Fulham first team, you could have forgiven Damien Duff for taking it easy during pre-season. But relaxing is something the wily winger will do with his young family on the south Dublin mountains when he finally hangs up those boots that graced a top flight touchline for the 350th time yesterday as Duff delivered what's all too easily expected of him these days - an energetic examination of another unfortunate full back – during Fulham's fine win over West Brom.

A clinicial team performance, which ended Albion's outstanding unbeaten start to the new season under Steve Clarke, was enlivened by Duff's driving runs down the right, where he was joined in attack by the overlapping Sascha Riether. The emergence of Kacaniklic, who is showing all the promise he displayed during his eye-catching stint in Liverpool's youth team, means that Duff has been switched across to the right flank, where he made such an impact as an inverted winger after being reuinited with Roy Hodgson, who gave a teenage Duff his first extended taste of Premier League football after the Irish youngster had sparkled on his debut on the last day of the 1996/97 season against Leicester.

Some were foolish enough to question whether Duff still had the hunger for the game when he arrived at Motspur Park having endured a difficult end to his time on Tyneside. The man who has won two Premier League titles, two League Cups, the InterToto Cup, reached a European club final and retired from international duty after reaching a century of caps for the Republic of Ireland – having been named in the UEFA team of the year after his terrific 2002 World Cup, – also has to live with being credited with the goal that sent Newcastle down having diverted Gareth Barry's drive into his own net at Villa Park. Duff, who was pressed into service as a makeshift full-back during Alan Shearer's desperate attempt to save the Geordies from the drop, jumped at the chance to return to the top flight with Hodgson and was literally jumping with his excitement as he waited to make his Fulham debut against Amkar Perm in the early rounds of that famous European odyssey. His impact was immediate, surging down the right flank and creating a crucial goal for Bobby Zamora.

Duff's professionalism – and his unquenchable thirst for success – makes him the ideal mentor for the likes of Kacaniklic and Frei, who are still getting used to the high-octane world of Premier League football. That's not to say that the 33 year-old should solely be thought of an elder statesmen offering advice from the sidelines. He might not quite have the astonishing turn of speed that, when paired with the similarly unstoppable Arjen Robben on the opposite flank, made Jose Mourinho's debut season in English football so special but someone with Duff's intelligence has the ability to shine even when shorn of what might appear a criticial attribute. He still has more than enough pace to worry the country's best defenders and has retained the invaluable asset of delivering a dangerous dead ball.

Perhaps spurred on by the thought of what might have been in Poland, Duff has started this season in sensational form. His clever finish agaisnt Norwich - darting from a conventional right winger's position to reach John Arne Riise's crosffield pass in the blink of an eye – got Fulham's campaign off to a fine start and he produced another accurate strike to put the Whites ahead at Old Trafford before the Manchester United rearguard had woken up. Even when things haven't gone quite to plan – most notably at Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham – Duff's work rate is impeccable and the support he offers the full-back behind him remains outstanding.

There was a nice symmetry in the Ballyboden boy being replaced yesterday by Alex Smith, for whom Fulham have such high hopes. The Fulham academy graduate, like many of his contemporaries, could learn an awful lot from just watching Damien Duff. I hope to have the pleasure of watching an old-fashioned winger go about his work from the Hammersmith End for a few more seasons yet.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/09/damien-duff-350-not-out/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 3 – 0 West Brom ~ Player Ratings
by LORK on SEPTEMBER 16, 2012

Berbatov marked his Fulham debut with a brace

I felt that among both fans and Jol there was a touch of pessimism before the match yesterday, but I felt it would have been relieved as soon as 'Fulham number 9... Dimitar Berbatov' was heard over the tannoy. And so it was, as he gave not so much a fantastic performance but a workshop on guiding players to perform as arrogantly, casually and sublimely as he does. As the scoreline suggested – although it left me quite annoyed, I was about to go with a gut feeling on Cottage Talk of 3-0 before thinking it'd make me sound crazy which is fairly irritating – it was a successful one, as Fulham coasted to victory against a good West Brom side, albeit one with a player deficit for an hour or so.

Schwarzer – 7, made the necessary stops but won't have felt overly worked. Barely saw any ball at his feet, which is interesting.

Hangeland – 7, marked first Long then the very physical Lukaku out of the game, while making all necessary interceptions. The way he took the ball and strolled out of defence before playing an incisive pass was lovely to watch, although I can't understand why West Brom gave him so much time.

Hughes – 6, like Hangeland covered defensively adequately enough, including a couple of quite important tackles when West Brom had a couple of sniffs in our box in the second half.

Riether – 7, although was quite quiet in the first half exploded in to life in the second, after West Brom gave him the freedom of the side of the pitch. Was always an option and spent most of his time alongside Duff, although his final ball was not quite as accurate as it should have been.

Riise – 6, a quiet game quite, surprisingly so since it is the kind that he relishes, but still demonstrated urgency when required and fed Kacaniklic with some tasty passes. Was rarely troubled at the back.

Baird – 8, with Diarra out there was justifiably a lot of concern about where our midfield impetus would come from. However, Baird came in and proved that he was a more-than capable deputy. Baird, like a lot of players out there yesterday, was afforded a lot of space and so he could use his sumptuous range of passing to pull the West Brom shape apart. The accuracy, and more importantly the effectiveness and choice of his long range passes was a joy to behold, and meant that he could run the show. Let's not forget that he has great defensive prowess too, and although that wasn't particularly tested yesterday it will come in use in the future no doubt. Jol seems to see him as a central midfielder he can rely on.

Sidwell – 8, in a similar way there were a lot of doubts about Sidwell. I don't think that is quite that fair, owing to his pedigree, but nonetheless he, like Baird, had a stormer yesterday. Not afraid to knock it wide with lofted balls to switch the play, his energy meant that we kept impressive ball movement all throughout the match, and that paid off when he raced forward to smash in the third – and his second of the season.

Duff – 7, the evergreen Irishman turned in yet another performance. The guy is so remarkably consistent that I shouldn't really be surprised, yet I always am. Nonetheless, he tore the West Brom left back apart – especially in the second half – with a display of skill, quick thinking and great tenacity. Unfortunately denied a goal when a deflected effort was somehow saved by Foster.

Kacaniklic – 8, out with the old and in with the new, so to speak. While Duff has limited seasons left him in, Kacaniklic right now is enjoying a wonderful run of form. Like Duff he displays a knack of attacking a full back and bamboozling them with agility and slight of foot. While his final ball was lacking for most of the game by my reckoning, he created both of Berbatov's goals: firstly with a jinking run which bypassed three defenders before sliding the ball to the unmarked Berbatov before next bursting past Jones and teasing him in to a clumsy lunge – a definite penalty. He quietened in the second half – the baton of wing wizardry had passed over to Duff – but regardless, it was another imposing performance from the youngster.

Winger Kacaniklic created both of Berbatov's goals
Berbatov – 9, while we saw a buzzing midfield display from all participants, Berbatov will take the headlines and rightly so. A gorgeous finish set up by a very quick thought in order to get the ball out enough from under his feet was followed up by a cool penalty, and perhaps he will be disappointed not to take home the match ball after fluffing two good chances. His goals apart, Berbatov orchestrated Fulham's performance. Visibly showing frustration at times and applauding very gracefully at others, he seemed to adapt to a lower calibre of team – not a slight on Fulham – with a great enthusiasm, coming deep to pass the ball, tackling fervently, even looking to get young sub Alex Smith on the ball during a last minute counter-attack. If Berbatov continues to enjoy playing for Fulham as much as he did yesterday then we are going to have a lot of fun with him in the team.

Rodallega – 6, a fruitless afternoon for Rodallega, who is still looking for his first Fulham goal despite seeing fellow strikers Berbatov and Petric both score twice on their debuts. He will be disappointed with a couple of poor layoffs and slack touches, and he seems desperate to get a goal – just look at his reaction after he hit the bar from two hards and let Sidwell score -, sometimes to the detriment of the team as there were a few occasions yesterday when he shot when he probably should have passed. In spite of that though, he worked hard (perhaps too hard), was involved, and was the main player left to foray on his own upfront while everyone else passed it for fun around West Brom's players. At the end of the game I liked how he went hugged every Fulham player (sometimes more than once) and applauded the Fulham faithful with vigor before sealing it with a kiss of the badge. I think we'll like him at Fulham, so long as we are patient enough to let him find his feet and finally explore that ability that we know he has, because the signs are that he is a very willing player, enjoying, I imagine, the step up in class from Wigan.

~Subs~

Kasami – N/A, I was annoyed Jol waited so long to put on a sub and I would have loved to see Kasami on for a half hour or so, seeing as we were in total control of the game. Even still, despite being only afford a little over 6 minutes Kasami made an impression during his cameo, showing strength and skill, although like Rodallega perhaps tried a little too much. I hope to see a lot more of him.

Smith – N/A, now, this was a surprise. Smith is an academy gruduate that seems to have gone under the radar. I've seen him a few times and he appears to be a slighter, more nimble Briggs, a left back who can also play left midfield and has great energy, with a penchant for a final ball. His cameo was even shorter than Kasami's, but just as exciting, as with his first touch, under pressure from West Brom players in the Fulham box, he tricked his way out before initiating a counter attack. I wonder if he is a dark horse for the next player to break through.

~lork

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/09/fulham-3-0-west-brom-player-ratings/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 3-0 West Brom: Berba defies stereotype to demolish Baggies

FOOTBALL: Two goals from Dimitar Berbatov set Fulham on their way to a comprehensive victory over 10-man West Brom on Saturday.

Berbatov marked his full Fulham debut with an exquisite finish. Good work from the fast improving Alexander Kacaniklic on the left preceded the former Manchester United star sweetly picking his spot with a right-footed curling shot.

The task for the visitors was made tougher when Peter Odemwingie inexplicably opted to kick Sascha Riether after the German robbed him of the ball right under the nose of fourth official Howard Webb. The red card was quickly branded.

Of the incident, manager Steve Clarke said: "We are all human. He felt there should have been a free-kick against him. Now he'll have a three-game ban and will take the punishment."

Fulham were now in the ascendancy. Kacaniklic again set up Berbatov, but this time the striker sent his header wide.

Billy Jones brought down Kacaniklic on half-time and Berbatov nonchalantly stroked home the penalty.

Berbatov was running the show, tracking back, linking play and leading from the front - far from the frustrating lazy player he's often accused of being.

Jol joked: "I think he did more than he ever did in his life," adding: "I'm not surprised. Dimitar was top scorer even when he was not playing at Manchester United. He always does enough."

The second half was subdued. Romelu Lukaku threatened occasionally for West Brom, while an inspired Ben Foster stopped Berbatov getting a hat-trick. Yet Fulham got a third goal at the death with Steve Sidwell scoring after a goalmouth scramble.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/news/content/view/full/123953?

WhiteJC

Fulham 3-0 West Brom: Home Sweet Home

Well, there's nothing like a trip back home to make things better, right? After a sorely disappointing defeat on the road to West Ham – one that put the supporters into whatever the tier of worry is directly before panic mode – this was what the club needed.

A full team win saw Dimitar Berbatov pocket a brace on his starting debut, and basically the entirety of the club performed top notch.  A comprehensive win like this doesn't need too much breakdown, but I would like to highlight the phenomenal passing with a few graphics, which you'll see in a moment:

The good:

Dimitar Berbatov – How did we get this guy again? How long has it been since Fulham have had such a proven goalhawk on their side, if ever? It sure feels good knowing he's lurking 24/7, and this time around the rest of the club did a great job putting him in a position to take advantage of that sixth sense.  It's going to take some real getting used to seeing him walk around the pitch while everyone else is sprinting, but it's just his style, and if it continues to produce results, he can lie down and take naps for all I care.

Alex Kacaniklic – The Robin to Berbatov's Batman, Kacaniklic provided the work rate needed to feed the statue in the middle that scores all the goals.  Kacaniklic dominated the left flank, and sliced through the defenses with some impressive runs.  He was threatening enough that he drew a penalty for Berba's second goal, as all the West Brom defense could do to prevent his runs at that point was scythe him down. You could see, especially after Berba slotted home the penalty, the massive smile on Alex's face, and Berba acknowledged it with a point and a hug.  I think he's pretty much locked up that left wing position as his for now.

Chris Baird – Wow, where did this come from? Thanks to injuries to everyone and their mother in the midfield (of which we're already lacking bodies), Baird stepped up and performed admirably.  His passing was flawless, hitting on 82/88 passes. Check it out:

Chris Baird's passing stats against West Brom.

Look how much ground he covered as well! While for the most part he stuck to the right half, he fed lots of passes to the left side attacking half as well. Baird was instrumental in Fulham's success, as were these next two players...

Honorable mention: Steve Sidwell and Sascha Riether – I told you I'd use a few passing graphics, so without further ado, here's these two players passing charts:

Steve Sidwell's passing chart against West Brom

Sascha Riether's passing chart against West Brom

Well, there you have it.  Three players instrumental to the link between defense and attack, three players with over 90% passing success rates.  I mentioned Baird's field coverage, but look at Sidwell's! Baird's can be a little deceiving because while he passed to all portions of the field, the passes didn't exactly originate from all portions of the field, and the origin of the passes shows where the player was.  However, Sidwell literally was all over the place in the midfield. Naturally, he was on the left a bit more compared to Baird on the right, but he was definitely covering all portions of the middle third.  And my goodness, Riether bossed the right side of the field.

Add all this passing up, and you get 182/208 passing in the attacking third, compared to West Brom's 52/85. Domination!

The bad:

Ummm........usually I just blow this section off in wins like this as a joke, but I legitimately tried to find something the club could work on, so here's what I found.

The crossing – Most of the Fulham attacks were brought in with runs of players such as Kacaniklic, so crosses were rare, but Fulham have struggled to put in a good cross for two matches straight now.  Against West Ham they were an abysmal 2/18 with crosses.  Here, they were better but still not where they need to be at 9/36.  9 successful crosses is usually pretty good, but you'd want them to improve that 25% success rate to about 33% to be really successful at crossing.

Where does Fulham go from here:

That away form discussion has reared its ugly head once again, and may be something this club struggles with again this season.  They travel to West Ham and are soundly beaten, and then with arguably a worse squad on the pitch and facing a surging West Brom club, they dominate and put away a comprehensive 3-0 win where they're victorious in just about every statistical category.  It doesn't make much sense, but it's where this club is at now.  Hopefully some of the injuries subside and we get a few bodies back, but with today's performance, they've showed that at least at home the depth is back.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2012/09/16/fulham-3-0-west-brom-home-sweet-home/?

WhiteJC

Jol's trust helps Berbatov feel the Fulham love
Fulham 3 West Bromwich Albion 0

"If I feel that the coach is trusting in my ability then I can do special things on the pitch," Dimitar Berbatov said after Fulham's 3-0 trouncing of West Bromwich Albion on Saturday. It was evident from a performance full of special things – including two goals on his home debut – that he feels that Martin Jol, the Fulham manager, offers him that trust.

Sir Alex Ferguson, the Manchester United manager, clearly did not, at least towards the end of the Bulgarian's four years at Old Trafford. Saturday's match was the Bulgarian's first start since United's Europa League tie against Ajax on 23 February.

"I am happy to get my first game for a long time," Berbatov said. "I just want to play every game and when I do this and I'm healthy with no injuries then the supporters can see the way I play football. I know the coach, he trusts me, he trusts my ability. I feel good if the coach trusts the way I play and you saw today the way I performed on the pitch."

That included dropping into midfield at times, ordering team-mates into position and even making tackles. "If I play for the team it's most important thing in the end," he said.

Jol, of course, managed Berbatov at Tottenham Hotspur before his £30m move to Manchester, and was overjoyed to bring him back to London in the face of competition from Fiorntina and Juventus.

"I asked him in December when [United] beat us 5-0 and said 'Maybe you'll come and play for us' and he said no," Jol said.

"So it was very nice that he said yes a couple of months later. He was at the airport going to Italy when I phoned him again, and he came back. I was ever so grateful. I really didn't expect that a player like him, who could have gone anywhere in the world, would come to Fulham."

Jol, though, had to be at his most persuasive. "Of course, I used everything – that this is the most traditional club in London, although I didn't know if that was an advantage for us, and London is nice because he'd lived here before – and he knows that he will play a lot of games. The only thing he said was: 'Do you think they will like me?' I think they will love him and they love him already."

Match facts

Fulham: SCHWARZER 7/10; RIETHER 6; HUGHES 6; HANGELAND 6; RIISE 7; DUFF 7; SIDWELL 7; BAIRD 6; KACANIKLIC 8; BERBATOV 8; RODALLEGA 6

WBA: FOSTER 7; RIDGEWELL 6; OLSSON 7; McAULEY 6; JONES 5; ODEMWINGIE 3; MULUMBU 5; MORRISON 6; YACOB 5; FORTUNE 4; LONG 5

Goals: Fulham Berbatov 32, pen 45, Sidwell 89.

Substitutes: Fulham Kasami (Kacaniklic, 84), Smith (Duff, 90). WBA Brunt 6 (Fortune, h-t), Lukaku 7 (Long, h-t), Rosenberg (Yacob, 76).

Sent-off: WBA Odemwingie (38).

Man of the match Berbatov. Match rating 6/10. Poss: Fulham 58%. WBA 42%. Attempts on target: Fulham 14. WBA 8. Ref R East (Wiltshire). Att 25,691.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jols-trust-helps-berbatov-feel-the-fulham-love-8143176.html

WhiteJC

So it begins: Berbatov starts love affair with Fulham fans after dazzling display

Dimitar Berbatov just wants to be loved - and two goals on his full debut at Craven Cottage made Fulham fans start loving him.

The 31-year-old surprised many when he opted for Fulham ahead of Juventus, who offered Champions League football, and Fiorentina.

Tucked away: Dimitar Berbatov struck his second goal from the spot

He flew to Italy, but when he returned, chose Fulham and Martin Jol, for whom he played some of his best football at Tottenham.
Jol said: 'I didn't expect a player like him who could play all over the world to come to Fulham. He knows he will play a lot of games for me and that was great.

'The only thing he said was: "Do you think they (the fans) will like me?" I said: "I think they will love you." I think they love him already.'

Cheers mate! Steve Sidwell believes Berbatov could be the best striker the club have ever seen

Classy: Berbatov was in electric form on Saturday as Fulham took apart West Brom

Berbatov said he just wants to reproduce the football that earned him a £30.75million move from Spurs to Manchester United in 2008.

He said: 'If the coach is trusting in my ability, I can do special things. I want to show that I appreciate they took me to the club. I know the coach trusts me and my ability.'

Steve Sidwell, who scored the third goal in the 3-0 win over West Brom, said: 'You look at that season he played the year before last. He was top scorer for United. He's always calm and collected. He brings the best out of everyone else.'

Jol thinks Berbatov is the best striker the club have ever had. Does Sidwell agree? 'If he carries on playing the way he did today, he's got every chance of fulfilling it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2204146/Fulham-fans-love-Dimitar-Berbatov-already.html#ixzz26h7pUIcp

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov rediscovers form with 'a manager in Martin Jol who trusts me'
Two goals from Fulham's Dimitar Berbatov in win over West Bromwich Albion add credence to his claim that he was harshly treated by Manchester United's Sir Alex Ferguson.

Dimitar Berbatov rejected a return to Tottenham in favour of a move to Fulham in the summer, a decision that already looks more than justified – after just one start he has two goals, a happy manager and team-mates tipping him to finish the season the league's top scorer.

It was Berbatov's relationship with Martin Jol – who managed the striker when they were both at Tottenham five years ago – that was a key factor in the player rejecting the overtures from White Hart Lane. Berbatov remembered how much his former manager Jol had wanted him to stay at Spurs, rather than move to Manchester United, and that counted in the Dutchman's favour in recent weeks.

Tottenham had been so upset about Berbatov leaving in 2008 – after Jol had been sacked – that they compiled a dossier for the Premier League complaining about United's pursuit of him. So there was a hint of irony when Jol said: "When Manchester United beat us 5-0 [in December], he gave me his shirt. I said, 'Maybe you play for us', and he said no. So it was very nice that he said yes after a couple of months. He was in the airport, going to Italy, and he came back so I was ever so grateful."

The Bulgarian had delivered a parting shot at Sir Alex Ferguson for a "lack of respect" when he left United and, after troubling West Bromwich Albion in an impressive all-round display, he again highlighted his relief at being away from Old Trafford and having a change of manager. "If I feel the coach is trusting my ability then I can do special things on the pitch," Berbatov said.

"Now that I play for Fulham, I just want to show that I appreciate that they took me to the club. I know the coach, he trusts me. I feel good if the coach trusts the way I play and you saw that with the way I performed on the pitch."

Berbatov left defender Gareth McAuley in no-man's land with his well-timed run before curling in from 16 yards to make it 1-0. He then sent goalkeeper Ben Foster the wrong way with a penalty.

Marking Berbatov was a highly problematic task as he drifted between midfield and attack. Even Youssuf Mulumbu – deployed by the visitors as a specialist defensive midfielder – could not contain him.

Berbatov linked up well with Steve Sidwell, the midfielder who fired in a late third. When Sidwell was asked if Berbatov could be top scorer again, he replied: "Of course. Why not? Football's all about confidence and what a way to start."

This match would have been far less comfortable for Fulham had Peter Odemwingie not been sent off for kicking out at Sascha Riether soon after the first goal. Odemwingie apologised but explained: "I felt a kick on my ankle from behind and then I got angry. I wasn't trying to hurt him. I just wanted to foul so I could stop the game and ask the referee and linesman why I didn't get a free-kick. But I did react with too much aggression."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9546560/Fulham-striker-Dimitar-Berbatov-rediscovers-form-with-a-manager-in-Martin-Jol-who-trusts-me.html

WhiteJC

FULHAM 3 - WEST BROM 0: DIMITAR BERBATOV'S GOLDEN BOOTS

IT was what you would expect of Dimitar Berbatov – 90 minutes of beautifully crafted football embellished by two goals.

Berbatov showed how he can bring craft, guile and abundant ability to Fulham's search for a new identity, after losing key men in the summer.

Steve Sidwell, who claimed Fulham's third goal, now believes Berbatov is a contender for the Golden Boot award .

He won it at the end of the 2010-11 season when he scored 21 goals as Manchester United clinched the title. Berbatov was just too classy for Albion, who lost their unbeaten record and Peter Odemwingie , sent off in the 38th minute for a kick on Sascha Riether.

Sidwell talked up Berbatov's credentials, saying: "He has this great calmness on the ball, knows other players' runs and when to shoot. His touch is superb and having him here raises the bar for everyone.He doesn't have a lot to say, so we are going out on a team bonding night this week. But one thing is for sure, he can push us in only one direction."

Albion were out of it by half-time. After conceding Berbatov's lovely opener, they had Odemwingie sent off following a rush of blood.

Odemwingie said: 'I lost my temper and I have to keep my cool. It is something I will learn from if I am confronted again a with a similar situation."

Boss Steve Clarke said: " It didn't help us. He's now banned for three games. We will also take action."

The Football Association will this week confirm the appointment of Dan Ashworth to shape the national game's future.

Ashworth, West Brom's technical and sporting director, will deal with coaching and help develop young talent.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/346513?

Lighthouse

Berbatov may not sing for his supper.

HE MIGHT be spared the footballer's ritual embarrassment of the initiation song – but Dimitar Berbatov could end up just as red-faced under the mountain of praise being heaped on him at Fulham.

Boss Martin Jol reckoned the former Manchester United forward 'is probably the best player we have ever had here up front', and Steve Sidwell (pic) was just as willing to join the Bulgarian's fan club.

The midfielder reckoned there was no reason why the new man can't live up to the accolade from his boss, but insisted he was anything but star material around the training ground.

"Dimi's very quiet – and he keeps himself to himself," said Sidwell.

"Of course it helps players raise their game when someone of that calibre comes into the club.

"We don't do an initiation ceremony here – but we might leave that up to team captain Brede (Hangeland) to have a bonding session with all the new players.

"Time will tell whether we're a stronger side (after the transfer window closed). And it's a big statement (to say he could be the best striker ever) but if he carries on playing the way he did against Albion, Dimi's got every chance of fulfilling it."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/16/82029-31847724/#ixzz26iHXZId1
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

FULHAM 3 - WEST BROM 0: BERB OF PREY

SOME people strike gold once in a lifetime – but only a rare few have what it takes to do it again.

Just ask British Olympic greats Bradley Wiggins, Chris Hoy or Ben Ainslie.

Now it is Dimitar Berbatov's turn to try to grab a little slice of history.

The striker won the golden boot as the Premier League's top goalscorer in 2011 with Manchester United.

But only five men have ever done it twice – Alan Shearer, Michael Owen, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Thierry Henry and Didier Drogba.

However, after a match-winning Fulham full debut, which rolled back the years, Berbatov could be on his way to joining that list.

His record for the Cottagers reads one start, two goals since his £4m switch from Old Trafford.

And team-mate Steve Sidwell, who grabbed the home side's third goal, has already seen enough to insist the 31-year-old Bulgarian can repeat his goalscoring heroics.

Sidwell said: "Could he do it again? Of course he could. Why not? ­Football's all about confidence and what a way to start."

Berbatov broke the deadlock against West Brom with a great piece of skill, taking one touch to control the ball before curling a beauty past keeper Ben Foster.

The Baggies then fell apart, with Peter Odemwingie sent off for ­kicking Sascha Riether ­between the legs and Billy Jones handing ­Berbatov his second goal.

The full-back hacked down Alex Kacaniklic in the box and Berbatov – who has not always been known as the best penalty-taker in the world – kept his cool from the spot.

He started just five league games for United last season but insists Fulham fans can expect big things from him now he has a manager who has 100 per cent faith in him.

Berbatov said: "If I feel that the coach trusts in my ability, then I can do special things.

"I feel good if the coach trusts the way I play – and you saw the way I performed on the pitch."

And boss Martin Jol, who also had Berbatov at ­Tottenham, claims the hitman is the club's greatest signing and has ­improved since he last worked with him.

He said: "Dimitar was different from the time I knew him. Now he is almost the complete footballer."

Even Baggies boss Steve Clarke – whose side lost their unbeaten record – had to sit back and ­admire some of Berbatov's play.

He said: "When Berbatov gets the ball into his feet, in and around the box, then he can create things.
Blame

"He's got fantastic qualities and Fulham have done well to get him."

But Clarke refused to blame Odemwingie's moment of madness in the 38th-minute for this defeat and the striker later apologised.

Odemwingie said: "I've said sorry to the boys. It was my fault."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/272601/Fulham-3-West-Brom-0-Berb-of-prey/?

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov's return to the playing field and refusal to move with the times refreshing to see
There are manifold crimes for which the Europa League might be held responsible. Its Byzantine, elephantine, mathematics seminar of a format.

Making it look easy: It is nice to see Dimitar Berbatov back playing again after being stuck on the bench at Old Trafford for so long
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

The not insignificant number of its participants who want no part in it.

The fact that it has allowed fans, and chairmen, to cultivate the impression that Andre Villas-Boas is a world-class manager. When the time comes, let all this be offered in evidence against it. Its most grievous and lasting legacy in this country, however, is the merry havoc it has wreaked on the English fixture list. Once Sky and ESPN have had their pick of games, once the police have had their say, and once Europa League teams have been given their rest, the Saturday fixture list resembles a school playground after all the good kids have been picked. A sort of ghetto of the mediocre. Everton tend to feature quite often.

Which is why last weekend's Match of the Day felt like such a throwback.

With the Europa League group stage still to get under way (it begins, with the ceremonial click of a solitary turnstile at a solitary stadium somewhere in Europe, this Thursday), there were no fewer than eight games to show. The beam of relish on Gary Lineker's face betrayed a steadfast belief that the biggest matches in English football are too prestigious by far to be left in the trembling hooves of Colin Murray.

But there was something else, too, that evoked a recent but bygone era: a deep, calming familiarity, yet so transient that it had almost ceased to feel familiar. Its name was Dimitar Berbatov.

You could interpret Berbatov's two goals for Fulham against West Bromwich Albion as a feat of restitution, a glorious dividend for the faith he had shown in the game whilst languishing in the reserves at Old Trafford. But let us not over-complicate things. It was just nice to see him again, for Berbatov is one of the most unjustly maligned players of our age.

The frequent criticism of Berbatov is that he is lazy. The fact that statistics have disproved this time and again — at Manchester United, his output was roughly similar to Wayne Rooney's — cut no ice with a commentariat adamant that work not only had to be done, it had to be seen to be done. Fans love to see strikers charging rabidly at the opposition goalkeeper or chasing lost causes all the way to the far touchline, even though there is no hope of winning the ball. It just makes them feel a little better.

In the court of public opinion, Berbatov paid for refusing to play this game. He was a victim of his own sound principles, as well as a little justifiable arrogance. He paid, too, for defying easy categorisation in a country where forwards are often still placed in one of four pigeonholes: 'Tall/Quick', 'Tall/Slow', 'Short/Quick', and 'Francis Jeffers'.

Instead, Berbatov was a tall striker who preferred the ball to feet, a player who could beat his man without needing to sprint past him, an athlete who never appeared to be running, who smoked publicly and often.

Football's intelligentsia, keen to analogise the exquisite culture with which he played the game, projected all sorts of enigmatic variations onto him. Much was made of the fact he painted and read, as if these were of the slightest relevance. The truth was far simpler: his exquisite touch came from practising with a basketball while growing up, his carefree attitude a recognition that when you spend your childhood queuing for bread, as Berbatov did in communist Bulgaria, football is but a frippery.

That he ended up on the languid banks of the Thames is no surprise. Fulham has always been a resort for those who had fleeting glimpses of the limelight before deciding they could do without the hassle: Danny Murphy, Steve Sidwell, Damien Duff, Kieran Richardson. Like Hove or Weston-super-Mare, Craven Cottage is where you go for a quiet life.

So much of football is defined by flux. Every passing season brings new faces and new ideas, new sponsors' patches on referees' arms. But its familiar figures are just as essential to the game's vitality, for they offer an essential measure of time. Sundays may be the new Saturdays and Thursdays the new Wednesdays, but there is a certain measure of comfort in knowing Berbatov will always be Berbatov.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/9546539/Fulham-striker-Dimitar-Berbatovs-return-to-the-playing-field-and-refusal-to-move-with-the-times-refreshing-to-see.html

WhiteJC

Ex-Man Utd striker reveals why he feels different at Fulham

DIMITAR Berbatov reckons when a coach has faith in him – the Fulham striker can move mountains.

The new man bagged a brace in his home debut in the 3-0 win over West Brom on Saturday - and it could have been a hat-trick except for a brilliant reflex stop by Ben Foster.

But in what sounded like an indirect swipe at Sir Alex Ferguson, Berba insisted he is a happier man in west London.

The forward was reported as disappointed with Sir Alex at the end of his Manchester United tenure, and claimed it was no surprise he hit the ground running after Martin Jol rescued him.

Berbatov said: "If I feel that the coach is trusting in my ability then I can do special things on the pitch. I'm happy we got the three points and I'm pretty sure the supporters were happy as well.

"Now that I play for Fulham I just want to show I appreciate they took me to the club.

"I know the coach. He trusts me; he trusts my ability, and then I feel good if the coach trusts the way I play and you saw the way I performed on the pitch."

The 31-year-old also wants to help younger Whites develop as well including Alex Kacaniklic who laid on Berba's first goal after a dazzling run down the left.

The Bulgarian raised an eyebrow when reminded the young Swede wasn't even born when he started playing as a kid.

"You have a point," said Berbatov. "But he's fresh and young. He have great ability for me; it's a good way to teach him some things and he can get even better."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/16/82029-31847706/?#ixzz26jqWyAD5

WhiteJC

Chop's Monday Musings

Saturday was my first chance to see Fulham live this campaign. It was a perfect day to watch football and it turned out to be a perfect game too. It certainly inspired me to do a bit of writing again, and I though I'd have another go at a regular CCN post. A Monday morning alternative view of the weekends events, something a little off the cuff but hopefully something worth reading.

The pre-match talk in my bit of the Hammy End was all about injuries to key players (Ruiz, Petric, Richardson & Diarra all out), excitement over Dimitar Berbatov and concern over how the midfield partnership of Baird & Sidwell would cope.

Berbatov (c) NickSarebi on Flickr

Berbatov oozed class. One of those pinch yourself moments when a player of genuine quality plays at the Cottage. He strolled around the park without appearing to break a sweat yet popped up time and again in the perfect position to contribute to our attack. At times he reminded me of Danny Murphy; gaining those vital yards of space thanks to his speed of thought rather than his speed of foot, cajolling his team mates when they didn't pick the right choice but encouraging them when they did and, of course, calmly sliding home the penalty that effectively won us the game. He seemed a natural leader, a shining example for those around him. Perhaps this was a one off, the thrill of being a big fish again, a game that gave him room to express himself. We shouldn't get too carried away but I think I'm going to enjoy watching Mr Berbatov.

I love Saturday afternoon games in the sun. There's a feeling of optimism in the air helped by my memory suggesting we always win in the sun (I know we don't really but my brain eliminates the losses as abberations). West Brom played some neat football but were let down by a moment of madness from Peter Odemwingie. With Fulham a goal to the good already the normal concerns about playing against ten men were allayed. When the penalty was converted it felt like the games was won (I've seen us thrown away leads before, I'm rarely completely confident but this would have taken a complete disaster to lose and so it proved). Not the most thrilling of second halves then but enough to keep us entertained and the joy of three points in the bag.

Other than King Dimitar it was the youngsters that caught the eye.Kacaniklic had a stormer of a first half causing all sorts of chaos down the left wing and creating both the first two goals. Second half he tailed of a little, perhaps the West Brom defence wised up a little, but he continues to show enormous promise. Rich suggested in his match report that Kasami tried too hard but I enjoyed his late cameo in the game. He charged about like a bull in a china shop but there was a desire to make something happen that I felt revitalised the game just when it needed it. The surge forward that led to the final goal was perhaps not the most elegant piece of football but just as it seemed he'd overcooked it he manage to stab in a left foot shot that caught everyone by surprise and eventually fell to Sidwell. Poor old Rodallega must wonder if he's ever going to score and I felt for him a bit as he pounded the ground with his hand having seen his header bounce back off the crossbar. Finally a word for Alex Smith, who seems to have been part of our academy/reserve set up for ages. He didn't get long on pitch but it's great that Jol is happy to give youth a chance.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/chops-monday-musings/?

WhiteJC

Berbatov to be spared Fulham initiation ritual

HE MIGHT be spared the footballer's ritual embarrassment of the initiation song – but Dimitar Berbatov could end up just as red-faced under the mountain of praise being heaped on him at Fulham.

Boss Martin Jol reckoned the former Manchester United forward 'is probably the best player we have ever had here up front', and Steve Sidwell was just as willing to join the Bulgarian's fan club.

The midfielder reckoned there was no reason why the new man can't live up to the accolade from his boss, but insisted he was anything but star material around the training ground.

"Dimi's very quiet – and he keeps himself to himself," said Sidwell.

"Of course it helps players raise their game when someone of that calibre comes into the club.

"We don't do an initiation ceremony here – but we might leave that up to team captain Brede (Hangeland) to have a bonding session with all the new players.

"Time will tell whether we're a stronger side (after the transfer window closed). And it's a big statement (to say he could be the best striker ever) but if he carries on playing the way he did against Albion, Dimi's got every chance of fulfilling it."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/16/82029-31847724/?#ixzz26jrJir47

WhiteJC

Berbatov 'needs trust'
New Fulham star needs backing from coach

Dimitar Berbatov: Took centre stage against West Brom

Fulham's new striking hero Dimitar Berbatov says he can do special things on the pitch, but only when his boss trusts him.

The Bulgarian departed Manchester United in the summer and made no secret of the fact he had fallen out and 'lost respect' for Sir Alex Ferguson.

Now at Fulham, and given centre stage by Martin Jol, Berbatov looks in his element, which was highlighted in their 3-0 win over West Brom as he was the catalyst behind the performance.

"If I feel the coach is trusting my ability then I can do special things on the pitch," Berbatov said.

"Now that I play for Fulham, I just want to show that I appreciate that they took me to the club. I know the coach, he trusts me.

"I feel good if the coach trusts the way I play and you saw that with the way I performed on the pitch."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8085762/?

WhiteJC

U21s Host Boro

Under-21 Manager Kit Symons is looking for a marked improvement when his side host Middlesbrough on Monday evening (7pm).

Symons' side have been beaten in their two Barclays Under-21 Development League games so far this term, with a 2-1 loss to Wolverhampton Wanderers followed by a 4-1 defeat to Crystal Palace.

Their third match of the campaign sees Boro arrive at Motspur Park, with Symons hoping to see his charges turn in a better display than they have to date this season.

He said: "It goes without saying that we're all really disappointed, but there's still plenty of football to be played – the season has a long way to go yet.

"No one likes to lose, and I'm no different. When this team goes out, it goes out to take three points. Yes, the players' development is crucial, but so too, is forming a winning mentality no matter what level you play.

"You need to have that desire and will to win, and on top of that, the knowhow of winning. At the moment, that's something that we perhaps haven't had. But it will come."

He continued: "Middlesbrough is a chance for us to put things right. I want to see us playing how I know we can and doing the right things.

"It will be another strong test for us. It's a match that we're all looking forward to, and I believe it will be a good game of football."

Please note that the match against Boro is the last game for which Fulham Members will be admitted free of charge. Going forward, Members must pay (Adults £3, Under 16s/Over 65s £1) for entry to the match.

Season Ticket Holders will still be given complimentary access on production of a valid Season Ticket Card.

Fulham Under-21s v Middlesbrough Under-21s, Barclays Under-21 Development League Group Three, kick-off 7pm.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/17/u21s-host-boro?

WhiteJC

Jol blocks loan moves for Fulham youngsters

FULHAM boss Martin Jol has ruled out any of his fringe players leaving on loan because they're needed at Craven Cottage as back-up.

The Dutchman had hoped to send out Matthew Briggs, Pajtim Kasami and Marcello Trotta, only to miss out on some of his targets on deadline day.

Jol was still weighing up whether to loan some of his youngsters to get first-team football, but has decided to keep them in SW6 to provide cover.

He said: "We've had some enquiries but at the moment I need all of these players.

"Trotta's making big steps and I can't let him go. There were quite a few clubs, even abroad, that wanted to get him on loan but I would like to keep them all.

"They're always knocking on the door. You saw what happened in the transfer window so other players will get opportunities now.

"Hopefully everything will be fine with John Arne Riise. He was injured two weeks ago and Briggs came in against Man United and did well. They will stay here for the next period."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/17/82029-31847713/?#ixzz26jteOQJD