more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff(19/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 19, 2012, 04:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

John Arne Riise hails 'amazing' Dimitar Berbatov

Fulham's John Arne Riise admits it is "amazing" to have a player like Dimitar Berbatov at Craven Cottage.

The 31-year-old joined from Manchester United late in the transfer window as he reunited with Martin Jol, who managed Tottenham during the Bulgarian's time at the north London club.

Berbatov rejected the likes of Juventus and Fiorentina to move to Craven Cottage, where he netted his first two goals in the 3-0 defeat of West Brom on Saturday.

Riise could not help but be impressed by his new team-mate's performance for the Whites, and believes it bodes well for the future.

"For Fulham to have a player like him at the club is amazing," he told the club's official website, www.fulhamfc.com. "It just proves that we're working hard to push the club forward.

"He came in and scored two goals on his home debut and you can't ask for more than that. He's settling in well and all the boys are pleased to have him in the team.

"We'll try and make it as easy for him as possible at his new club."

Both of Berbatov's goals came after good work from Alex Kacaniklic, who has been handed the unenviable task of replacing Clint Dempsey on the left wing following his move to Tottenham.

The 21-year-old has impressed in his performances so far and left-back Riise believes the pair can build a decent relationship.

"Last season, I had Clint in front of me and we had a good relationship," the Norway international said.

"We're going to miss him but Kaca has come in and we work well together. He works hard, he's young and keen to learn. I like having him in front of me because I know he'll do a lot of good things.

"It looks good for the rest of the season."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/john-arne-riise-hails-amazing-dimitar-berbatov-8153009.html

WhiteJC

Berbatov hails Kacaniklic ability

Fulham ace Dimitar Berbatov says he hopes to help Alex Kacaniklic's development as he looks to form a partnership with the young Swede.

The 21-year-old has been given his chance by Martin Jol this season and has grabbed it with a string of fine performances, setting up Berbatov for his brace in the 3-0 win over West Brom.

Kacaniklic looks to have a bright future ahead of him and former Manchester United forward Berbatov says he is eager to help the youngsters develop at Craven Cottage.

"You can see when a young player wants to show his ability on the pitch," Berbatov told Talksport.

"Kacaniklic's fresh and young and he has great ability. For me, it's a good way to teach him some things and he can get even better.

"And not only him but all the players try their best to win every game and this is the most important thing."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/berbatov-hails-kacaniklic-ability-1470862.html?

WhiteJC

Jol waiting on Grygera
Fulham boss yet to decide on defender's future

Zdenek Grygera: Defender is currently training with Fulham despite being out of contract

Fulham manager Martin Jol has said that he is waiting for defender Zdenek Grygera to make a full recovery from injury to give him a new contract.

The 32-year-old's original contract with the Premier League club ran out in the summer and he is currently a free agent.

Grygera is recovering from a cruciate ligament injury he suffered last season and is training with the rest of the Fulham squad at Motspur Park.

"Grygera is still not match fit," said Jol in The Fulham and Hammersmith Chronicle.

"He played against Oman ('A') last week and did well so he's close.

"We will wait until he's fully fit to make a decision [on his future]."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8090197?

WhiteJC

Wigan Athletic defender Alcaraz in race to face Fulham

Wigan Athletic centre-back Antolin Alcaraz is desperate to shake off a groin tear and line up against Fulham.

The Paraguay centre-half missed last weekend's 4-0 defeat at Manchester United after suffering the setback while playing for his country.

"I'm okay," Alcaraz told the Wigan Evening Post. "I felt a lot better a few days ago, put it like that, but I'm okay.

"I am waiting to hear back from the doctor, but my hope is that it won't be a long-term problem.

"I am feeling better all the time, although there is still a little bit of pain there.

"It was a pretty normal movement during the game, and I just felt pain in the muscle.

"I came off straight away because I didn't want to make it worse.

"I obviously want to play on Saturday, but the decision will be up to the doctor."

Read more at http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/wigan-athletic-fc/1213288-wigan-athletic-defender-in-race-to-face-fulham.html?#M4hHIuM85ZqL7uzy.99

jazz hardrockin

No animal is being hurt in the making of this posting.

WhiteJC

Senderos on Fulham comeback trail

MARTIN Jol says Philippe Senderos needs a couple of games for the reserves before being considered for Fulham's first-team.

The Swiss centre-back is back in training at the club's Motspur Park headquarters following a long spell on the sidelines with a foot injury.

And boss Jol believes the 27-year-old requires a run-out for the second string to get him up to speed.

The Dutchman said: "He's been out for months, so he needs a couple of games for the reserves."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/19/82029-31865803/?#ixzz26vKmKeCg

WhiteJC

Jimmy's View

When Fulham visit the DW Stadium on Saturday (3pm) to face Wigan Athletic, there will be one former player looking on with great interest.

Jimmy Bullard was a popular character during his time at both clubs and the charismatic midfielder anticipates a close game at the weekend.

"Wigan like to pass the ball about and so do Fulham," Jimmy told the official website. "They're two top Premier League outfits now as they've both stayed in the Premier League a long time.

"Wigan always seem to come strong at the end of the season. They've kept their Premier League status alive at the back end of the last few seasons now so if they have a good start to a campaign and can carry it on then who knows how well they could do.

"Roberto Martinez is known for wanting to play football on the deck and they play some great stuff so I think it could be a great game on Saturday."

The Whites have won both of our home games so far this season, but we still await our first away point – a pattern that Jimmy is optimistic we can put to bed once and for all in the 2012/13 campaign.

"When I was there we were strong at home and not so good away," he said. "But it's early days and Martin Jol is doing a great job. Hopefully Fulham will do a little better away from home than they have the past couple of years.

"I think Fulham have got to kick on as they've got the players behind them now to maybe get into those top six or top eight places. Wigan, also, for me have been in the Premier League long enough that they've got to look to do the same.

"I think it's going to be a close game. To be honest, I don't know who's going to win! I think it could go either way but the home advantage might just put it in Wigan's favour. But it will be a close game so if I'm pressed for a prediction I'd say 2-1 to Wigan."

For someone who only appeared for the Club on 41 occasions, Bullard's time in SW6 was eventful to say the least. After a flying start where he scored twice in his first three games, he suffered a severe knee injury after a collision with Scott Parker at St James' Park.

"I loved it at Fulham, absolutely loved it," Jimmy admitted. "I just loved my time there and then I got a horrible injury in my fourth game for the Club up at Newcastle United and that put me out for 18 months.

"I came back and played the best part of 40 games and got in the England squad while I was at Fulham so I think I reached my peak there. I still say to this day that I wished I was there as it was the best Club that I've been at."

Whatever opinion fans held following Jimmy's departure to Hull City, it's impossible to deny the role he played in the Whites' successful relegation fight in the 2007/08 campaign.

Along with Brian McBride, Bullard returned to First Team action after recovering from injury and played a significant part in our remarkable escape – not least on the final day of the season at Fratton Park.

"That's as high as I've ever been," Jimmy explained. "It couldn't have been better - it felt like we'd won the Premier League. That was an amazing day. It was red-hot sunshine and was just fantastic – I'll remember that as long as I live.

"When you have times as good as that, you'll always remember it. That's the biggest time of my career really. I've got into a Carling Cup Final, I've got in the England squad, but for me, staying up with Fulham was probably the biggest thing.

"To come back from my injury and help us stay up, I loved it. I took to the fans and the fans took to me, and I had a great rapport with them and everyone around the Club. I just loved it and I felt at home there. High as a kite I was every time I played for Fulham."

Every Whites fan will recall that famous day in the sun on the south-coast as Danny Murphy rose highest to nod home Bullard's delightful free-kick to secure the three points we needed to maintain our Premier League status.

"The same as all free-kicks, I didn't really try and pick anyone out, I just whipped it in," Jimmy recollected.

"I put it into what looked like a good area and away from the keeper and was just hoping that someone heads it. Then Murph of all people got on the end and I couldn't believe it.

"He's one of my good mates and it was good times. It's a shame it goes but I enjoyed that time and I remember it like it was yesterday."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/19/jimmys-view?

WhiteJC

Berbatov could be great at Fulham

In the summer transfer window a few players left Fulham FC to further their careers, most notably Clint Dempsey after reports of him refusing to play for Martin Jol, but one player has turned to Craven Cottage to revive his career.   

Dimitar Berbatov had a hard time trying to keep his place in Sir Alex Ferguson's plans in his four years at Manchester United with their striking prowess, but under his new manager he will look to be one of the greatest signings the club have ever produced.

Only a few players have the touch and genius that the Bulgarian provides when at his best, which makes him a handful for defenders to control. Martin Jol was the first manager to see it when he was in charge of Tottenham Hotspurs and he still believes the striker has what it takes to succeed and score goals in the Premier League.

At Man United Berbatov was never really the star man, even though his quality could never be denied. At his time in the red of United, he shared the limelight with attacking players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez and an on fire Javier Hernandez in his first season in England.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men would always look to give the ball to those players as they could make something out of nothing, which sometimes left Berbatov in the cold. At Fulham on the other hand he is the star name. 

Against West Bromwich Albion he played the number 10 role and the team always looked to play the ball towards him to produce that moment of magic. He's the type of player that needs the ball at his feet to be effective and for the fans to love him. So far so good for the 31 year old.

Apart from the way he plays, there's another reason why he can be great for Fulham and that's down to the pressure finally being lifted off the shoulders of the experienced Bulgarian striker. With a £35m price tag on your head you are expected to perform week in and week out and rightfully so, but if you don't then the media and fans will question your ability. He didn't start every game for the reds so the fans started to question why they wasted big money on a non-starter.

Now, with the South West London club paying around £4m for his talent, there will be a huge amount of pressure off of him and that will allow him to play his natural game, which initially got him moves to Spurs and Man United in the first place.

He showed a sign of freedom and relaxation against West Brom on his home Debut, with an impressive performance, which was capped off by one beautiful goal put in the top corner and another dispatched from the penalty spot.

Confidence is another thing for Berbatov. Not playing week in week out even when scoring goals at United definitely dented the striker's confidence, whereas at Fulham he will look to start every game that he is fit for. Once he continues to find the back of the net his confidence will rise and so will his flicks and tricks. 

An example of his confidence was on the weekend with his first goal. Before the ball got to him he took a quick glance at the goal and received the ball. The touch allowed him to open up his body and without looking towards the goal he struck the ball into the top corner with, somewhat, ease.

The introduction of Dimitar Berbatov to Fulham will help the club reach their targets and maybe even over achieve, but can continue the good start at his new team with an even better performance against Wigan Athletic? To be considered as one of the best the club has ever seen he will need to, not just for the club but for himself.

http://www.footballfriendsonline.com/blogs/2012/9/19/berbatov-could-be-great-at-fulham.html

WhiteJC

Somogyi smitten by Fulham
Shot-stopper says a couple of clubs wanted to sign him on loan

Hungarian goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi has revealed his delight at being the goalkeeping face of Fulham.

The 27-year-old became the first signing of the Martin Jol era, joining the Whites during the summer of 2011.

And after impressing for the club's development squad last season, Somogyi is now hoping to push David Stockdale and No.1 Mark Schwarzer in the first team squad.

"I was surprised to see myself in a big photo, alongside Breder Hangeland and John Arne Riise, in the club's official shop," admitted Somogyi.

"I couldn't believe my eyes because I really didn't expect the club would advertise a goalkeeper's jersey with me.

"What pleases me more is that the picture will be there during the entire season."

And on his development at Craven Cottage, he said: "Martin Jol and goalkeeping coach Hans Segers have praised me. I'm a stable third-choice keeper now.

"There were two clubs that wanted to sign me on loan this summer, but I wasn't informed about it.

"But, anyway, Mr Jol said he doesn't want me to leave in case of a red card or an injury to Schwarzer or Stockdale."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8092092?