more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (20/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 20, 2012, 04:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

We must be ready for Fulham warns Wigan Athletic ace Di Santo

Wigan Athletic striker Franco Di Santo is looking for his side to bounce back from the defeat at Manchester United at the weekend.

The Latics face Fulham this coming weekend and the Argentine says his teammates want to get over that disappointment with a win against the Cottagers.

Speaking to Latics Player Di Santo said: "We have to be ready for Fulham.

"We have to try and forget about the defeat (Manchester United) and concentrate on the Fulham game.

"We were very disappointed with the way we played on Saturday, that isn't how we normally play and it is something we have to try to fix.

"We will try to get back to the way we play best, attack the other team, if we do well at home this makes the fans happy."

Read more at http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/wigan-athletic-fc/1213299-we-must-be-ready-for-fulham-warns-wigan-athletic-ace-di-santo.html?#D3VWGhh0tHSAWbIe.99

WhiteJC

Jol puts brakes on return of Sender

Martin Jol has confirmed that Philippe Senderos is set to feature for Fulham's reserves as he continues his comeback from injury.

The Cottagers chief is keen to have the 27-year-old Switzerland international central defender back in his Premier League squad following his lengthy absence because of a foot injury.

And, while Senderos is back in training at Motspur Park, Jol insists he will not be thrown straight back into the first-team until he gets some match fitness built up in the coming weeks.

On the former Arsenal stopper, who missed the vast majority of the 2010-11 season after tearing his Achilles tendon shortly after joining Fulham, Jol told the Chronicle: "He's been out for months, so he needs a couple of games for the reserves."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-puts-brakes-on-return-of-sender-1471635.html?

WhiteJC

My Future Goal graduates get Dutch treat

First graduates of Fulham and Barclays Spaces for Sport scheme receive certificates from Martin Jol

The first graduates of the My Future Goal programme with Martin Jol at Craven Cottage

The first graduates of Fulham's "My Future Goal" had a special guest congratulate them on their successful completion of the programme yesterday.

Fulham manager Martin Jol was at Craven Cottage to present the 16 graduates with certificates for completing the programme that is run in partnership with Barclays Spaces for Sports.

The 16 young people graduated from the first 10-week employability programme with a variety of new skills, credentials and experiences, ranging from a Sport Leaders qualification, accredited units in CV writing, money management, interview techniques, as well as vocational learning through work experience and volunteering in the local community.

Indeed, among the first cohort of participants, six have found employment with the club as match-day staff, two have found employment in retail and two are continuing to volunteer with the Fulham FC Foundation.

Launched at Craven Cottage last April, "My Future Goal" is a three-year partnership between Fulham FC Foundation (FFCF) and Barclays Spaces for Sports, which has invested £350,000, that looks to provide a football and sport employability development programme for local people.

It targets young people not in education, employment or training (NEETS), aiming to increase employment opportunities for 300 16-25 year olds by helping them develop life skills such as communication and team work, as well as giving them work-related training. The programme will also engage with local small and medium size businesses to facilitate employment opportunities for graduates of the programme.

"Whilst the work I do with the Club is viewed mainly on the pitch, it is great for me to be able to see the variety of programmes and courses we run, which benefit the local community," Jol said.

"The rewards from the strong partnership between Barclays and Fulham have been seen here today. I hope that we have helped those who have, and are yet to graduate, find the desired career path they want to follow, and I wish all participants every success."

David Wheldon, Managing Director, Brand & Marketing and Citizenship, Barclays said: "This is a great example of how the collaboration of our two organisations, using our specific areas of expertise, can drive positive change in our local communities.

"The results of this programme are already impressive, and have given these young people a real opportunity to develop some important skills that will help them secure employment and improve their chances in life."

http://www2.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/fulham-barclays-spaces-my-future-goal.html?

WhiteJC

Somogyi cements third goalkeeper role

Fulham goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi said he feels he is third in line at the club after Martin Jol was unwilling to let him leave Craven Cottage.

The Hungarian is yet to make an appearance for the Cottagers since joining last year, when he became the Dutchman's first signing for the west London outfit.

The 27-year-old was therefore shocked, but also delighted, when he realised his picture was being displayed in the Premier League side's club shop, and revealed it will be staying there all season.

Somogyi told reporters: "I was surprised to see myself in a big photo, alongside Brede Hangeland and John Arne Riise, in the club's official shop.

"I couldn't believe my eyes because I really didn't expect the club would advertise a goalkeeper's jersey with me.

"What pleases me more is that the picture will be there during the entire season."

The goalkeeper is currently behind Mark Schwarzer and David Stockdale in the pecking order at Craven Cottage, leaving him to battle it out with 22-year-old Neil Etheridge to be next in line.

However, the former Rakospalotai man believes he is ahead of the Englishman after Jol opted to keep hold of him despite interest during the transfer window.

"Martin Jol and goalkeeping coach Hans Segers have praised me," he added.

"I'm a stable third-choice keeper now.

"There were two clubs that wanted to sign me on loan this summer, but I wasn't informed about it.

"But, anyway, Mr Jol said he doesn't want me to leave in case of a red card or an injury to Schwarzer or Stockdale."

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2012/September/19/somogyi-cements-third-goalkeeper-role/?

WhiteJC

Where will the goals come from?

Sunday's match at Wigan will be the first since March, 2007 that Clint Dempsey will not feature for Fulham against that club.

That's not notable in and of itself, but consider that in 10 games he scored 6 goals and that tally accounts for 42% of our 14 goals against them. Which is nearly half. (Go here for a full account of his feats.)

Sure, we have the Berba. Plus Ruiz and Petric should be coming back.

But it's instances like this where the reality sets in. I sure don't hope we miss our talisman.

As the prior two posts have mentioned, Sascha Riether had a great game on Saturday. Of the top six pass combinations, 5 include Riether either receiving or passing the ball. His dashboard is below.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/where-will-the-goals-come-from/?

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: WhiteJC on September 20, 2012, 04:39:34 AM

Sunday's match at Wigan will be the first since March, 2007 that Clint Dempsey will not feature for Fulham against that club.

That's not notable in and of itself, but consider that in 10 games he scored 6 goals and that tally accounts for 42% of our 14 goals against them. Which is nearly half. (Go here for a full account of his feats.)

But it's instances like this where the reality sets in. I sure don't hope we miss our talisman.

As the prior two posts have mentioned, Sascha Riether had a great game on Saturday. Of the top six pass combinations, 5 include Riether either receiving or passing the ball. His dashboard is below.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/where-will-the-goals-come-from/?

Time to move on cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com people....

General

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on September 20, 2012, 07:09:24 AM
Quote from: WhiteJC on September 20, 2012, 04:39:34 AM

Sunday’s match at Wigan will be the first since March, 2007 that Clint Dempsey will not feature for Fulham against that club.

That’s not notable in and of itself, but consider that in 10 games he scored 6 goals and that tally accounts for 42% of our 14 goals against them. Which is nearly half. (Go here for a full account of his feats.)

But it’s instances like this where the reality sets in. I sure don’t hope we miss our talisman.

Time to move on cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com people....

I agree - Berbatov , Petric, Rodallega etc are on a different level to what we've had before and I expect these guys to be able to score and for us not to rely on our midfield as heavily. Move on.

WhiteJC

99 caps and one big problem for Damien Duff

In the only time Jay-Z and Damien Duff will meet in a headline, thanks to a screw up by Hungary, the retired winger apparently only has 99 Ireland caps, not 100.

We were very sad to see Damien Duff retire from international football last month. The Dubliner had been a great servant to the Irish cause, though, and he appropriately ended his career at the Euros, against Italy, captaining the team while winning his 100th cap. Aside from the result, it was as classy a finish as his career merited.

But now it seems that fairytale ending to the Duff story has been shattered. According to today's Irish Daily Star, Duffer is now back on 99 caps after an admin balls-up by Hungary.

Ireland played a dull 0-0 draw with Hungary in Budapest on June 4 but it seems the game will not now be logged by Fifa as a full international because of the referee.

Kenn Hansen from Denmark was not appointed correctly by the Hungarian FA according to Fifa, and a spokesperson from football's governing body has told the Star that the game could not now be registered as an "A" match. The game has not been included on Fifa's official list of results for Ireland and the result has not been included in calculating the rankings.

As well as leaving Duff on an inelegant 99 (though it boosts Marco Tardelli's hopes of getting him back for Germany now, right?) it drops another retiree Shay Given to 124 while Robbie Keane is now back to 120.

It leaves Ireland with just four centurions now, Given, Keane, Kevin Kilbane and Steve Staunton.

http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/99-caps-and-one-big-problem-for-damien-duff-0028528-1?

WhiteJC

Dartford manager Tony Burman agrees loan extension with Fulham for goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli

Dartford have extended Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli's loan for a further month.

The 20-year-old has produced a string of impressive performances in Darts' climb to sixth place in Blue Square Bet Premier.

Saturday's 4-0 win over Hereford was due to be his final appearance but manager Tony Burman, pictured, has agreed an extension with the Premier League side that will allow first-choice Louis Wells more time to recover from a hip injury.

Burman said: "There was no problem keeping Marcus for another month.

"He's been excellent for us and is a talented young keeper who, judging by his performances, has a big future. Louis is back in training but we don't have to rush him. We want him to be 100% right."

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford_messenger/sport/2012/september/19/marcus_bettinelli.aspx?

WhiteJC

My Future Goal

Fulham Manager Martin Jol congratulated the first graduates of the My Future Goal programme (run in partnership with Barclays Spaces for Sports) at a high-profile event at Craven Cottage on Tuesday.

The first 10-week employability programme saw 16 young people graduate with a variety of new skills, credentials and experiences, ranging from a Sport Leaders qualification, accredited units in CV writing, money management, interview techniques, as well as vocational learning through work experience and volunteering in the local community.

There are a number of success stories from the first cohort of participants on the programme. One participant successfully completed the course and is now a matchday employee for Fulham. Another is an active volunteer for the Fulham FC Foundation, assisting with holiday course programmes and studying for an FA Level 1 coaching badge, whilst another looking to gain employment in a sports administration role is currently volunteering as a telecommunications assistant with the Foundation.

Launched at Craven Cottage last April, prior to Fulham's fixture against Swansea City, the three-year partnership between Fulham FC Foundation (FFCF) and Barclays Spaces for Sports sees the two organisations collaborating to provide a football and sport employability development programme for local people called My Future Goal. Targeting young people not in education, employment or training (NEETS), it aims to increase employment opportunities for 300 16-25 year olds by helping them develop life skills such as communication and team work, as well as giving them work-related training.

With a £350,000 investment from Barclays, young people in Surrey and South, West and Central London will take part in a series of 10-week programmes, providing the opportunity to improve employability skills and confidence and gain accreditations to help them enter or return to the labour market.

Fulham FC Foundation has designed this bespoke football and sport employability programme in partnership with Barclays Spaces for Sports and will engage with local small and medium size businesses to facilitate employment opportunities for graduates of the programme.

Jol, commented: "Whilst the work I do with the Club is viewed mainly on the pitch, it's great for me to be able to see the variety of programmes and courses we run, which benefit the local community. The rewards from the strong partnership between Barclays and Fulham have been seen here. I hope that we have helped those who have, and are yet to graduate, find the desired career path they want to follow, and I wish all participants every success."

David Wheldon, Managing Director, Brand & Marketing and Citizenship, Barclays commented: "This is a great example of how the collaboration of our two organisations, using our specific areas of expertise, can drive positive change in our local communities.  The results of this programme are already impressive, and have given these young people a real opportunity to develop some important skills that will help them secure employment and improve their chances in life."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/20/my-future-goal?

WhiteJC

Inside The DW Stadium

Wigan fan Barry Worthington previews Saturday's game as Fulham visit the DW Stadium.

First things first, what have you made of the season so far?

Pretty much as expected really; as a Latics fan you never let yourself get too carried away. Following our great run at the end of last season, though, I thought we could have half a chance to explode into the new campaign, but a couple of disappointing results have kept my feet firmly on the floor. We got caught cold in the opening game against Chelsea and were two goals down after just seven minutes. But we came back into the game and for the majority of the match, we looked the better side, we just couldn't get the goal that would have put Chelsea under pressure.

We should have beaten Stoke City, we outplayed them but their hustle and bustle style is always a threat and we succumbed to a typical sucker punch.
Having lost 4-0 at Manchester United at the weekend, you must of course, be looking to take three points on Saturday?

Winning a home game following a disappointing away performance is always a great way to get the fans buzzing again. We contained United for the first 50 minutes, very comfortably to be honest, then we collapsed. Individual and collective errors led to all their goals rather than good play and that left both the players and fans very flat, but we have the chance to get that out of the system on Saturday, especially with the game being at the DW Stadium. I'm really looking forward to it

Roberto Martinez has again come out and said that he won't go against his football principles – do the fans admire his approach to the game?

Absolutely, the Martinez style is now the Latics' style - possession football, patient build up and playing the game the right way. The way we've been playing since it all 'clicked' into place has been a pleasure to watch.

How do you see the match going?

It'll be an interesting game, I know Martin Jol likes his teams to play football so we should be in for a tight, tactical battle that will be fascinating to watch.

Who for you are Wigan's most important players – who could make the difference against Fulham?

Shaun Maloney is the player that makes us tick, he's the link between the forwards and midfield. He's a proper crafty player with great technique and reads the game very well. Jean Beausejour is also vital to the Latics. He plays left wing-back and was undoubtedly the final piece of the Martinez jigsaw when he was signed from Birmingham City last January.

And likewise, which Fulham players do you think could cause you a few problems?

Past players usually come back to haunt you. Hugo Rodallega was a real favourite at the Latics and it would be just like him to open his goalscoring account with you at the DW. Dimitar Berbatov is also a quality striker and one who we'll need to keep a close eye on.

Do you have any previous standout memories from games between Wigan and Fulham of the past?

Being an oldie, I remember Kevin Keegan's first game in charge of Fulham, that was at our old Springfield Park ground. It didn't go Keegan's way, however, as the Latics won 2-0.

The game that I thought was most thrilling, though, was a League Cup game back in December 2002. We were a League Two club at the time, Fulham in the top tier, but a great performance from the Latics, especially Nathan Ellington with a brace of goals, saw us come out on top 2-1

For travelling fans, what is the best and worst thing about a trip to the DW Stadium?

Best: modern ground, no viewing restrictions from any seats, friendly fans and staff, great facilities, easy to get to by rail, road or foot. Worst: it's cold, very cold in winter!

The DW Stadium is known to have some of the best pies in football – would you agree with that?

The pies are fantastic, award winning and made locally by Wigan firm Pooles. The Chunky Steak are the ones to go for.

Where should travelling fans get a pint?

Literally a two-minute walk from the away end is Sharpey's Sports Bar and Fish and Chip restaurant. My advice would be get some food from the take-out section, half the price of ordering inside.

Tell us something we might not know about the club or Wigan itself?

In 1953 the Latics versus Hereford United game attracted the attendance record for an FA Cup tie between two non-League clubs, with a crowd of 27,526. Wigan is derived from the Brigante name for warrior.

Score prediction?

Head says close game, heart says 2-0 Latics win. As a supporter I always go with the heart.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/20/inside-dw-stadium?

WhiteJC

Why backing over 2.5 goals is the way to go when Wigan host Fulham
With two sides meeting who have been scoring and conceding freely this season, goals look guaranteed in Wigan v Fulham.

If the season were to end today then Wigan and Fulham would be relatively happy with their current positions in the Premier League table, with the Whites in ninth place and the Latics in 14th. But if the two managers had an option to extend the season by a week, Wigan boss Roberto Martinez would, on the face of it, be more likely to twist than his counterpart from Craven Cottage Martin Jol.

Join bwin here now to place up to £20 in free bets on Wigan v Fulham!

The reason for this is that Fulham's away form is notoriously poor, meaning a Wigan win at 13/10 – which would take them above the Whites in the table – is the obvious choice in bwin's 3Way football betting market.

Nevertheless, Fulham won the corresponding fixture at the DW Stadium last season 2-0 and in fact have an excellent recent record against Wigan. The Cottagers have not lost to them in 11 matches and can be backed at 21/10 to claim another win. The draw meanwhile is offered at 9/4.

Having netted ten goals already, Fulham are the division's joint top scorers and against a Wigan defence perhaps best described as leaky, they will be confident of adding to that tally.

Yet analysing the statistics for the current season, it seems clear that the bet to invest in is three or more goals being scored, which is offered at the attractive looking price of evens. Each one of Fulham's four league matches this season has comfortably gone over 2.5 goals, with Martin Jol's side in excellent scoring form.

Having netted ten goals already they are the division's joint top scorers and against a Wigan defence perhaps best described as leaky, they will be confident of adding to that tally. Indeed, the Latics have conceded at least two goals in every one of their matches so far, although at the other end they have also been finding the back of the net, with Martinez's men scoring in seven of their last eight home matches.

All this therefore points to a high-scoring encounter, and the price of even money on over 2.5 goals looks too good to turn down. For some higher odds try backing over 2.5 goals to be scored in the first half, available at 11/2. This bet has paid out in two of Wigan's last four home games, and in two of Fulham's last three matches, and for a small fun bet looks to hold some serious value.

Recommended bet: Over 2.5 goals @ evens

Outside punt: Over 2.5 goals in the first half @ 11/2

http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/wigan-fulham-backing-2-5-goals-smart-money-invested,24634.html?

WhiteJC

Damien Duff to retain century of caps despite administrative error

Damien Duff's achievement of having reached 100 Republic of Ireland caps will be recognised by the FAI despite an apparent administrative blunder.

Doubts were raised over the legitimacy of Duff's century haul when it emerged a friendly against Hungary has not been logged by Fifa as a full international.

However the FAI has stated it will be awarding caps for the June fixture.

Fifa and Uefa confirmed on Thursday the decision to award a cap is at the discretion of the national association.

Fifa confirmed to the FAI that one of the assistant referees who officiated in the 0-0 draw in Budapest on June 4, Mr David Vang Andersen, was not on the current Fifa list of referees.

An FAI statement explained: "this is the reason why they (Fifa) are not recognising the match for their international coefficient".

The Hungarians, who were not aware of the discrepancy until it surfaced in the Irish media, have assured the FAI they intend to record the fixture as an international match.

The FAI has decided that the players who participated in the Hungary game deserve caps, stating: "particularly Damien Duff for the service that he gave to his country" .

The FAI have informed the retired winger that it will recognise his status as having earned 100 caps for the Republic of Ireland.

Damien Duff's Republic of Ireland career
Made senior debut in 1998 against Czech Republic
Scored eight goals in his 14-year Republic career
Scored the first ever golden goal in a World Cup match during the 1997 Fifa World Youth Championship in Malaysia
Voted Ireland's player of the tournament at 2002 World Cup in Japan and Korea

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19662125?

WhiteJC

Fulham strike target 'flattered' by Juventus interest

Fulham face a fight to land Dieumerci Mbokani after the Anderlecht hitman revealed that he is 'flattered' by mooted interest from Serie A champions Juventus.

The Cottagers were believed to have made a move for the 26-year-old last January, but Anderlecht were unwilling to sell.

And despite luring Dimitar Berbatov to Craven Cottage on transfer deadline day, Fulham boss Martin Jol is thought to be on the lookout for more attacking firepower after seeing Andy Johnson, Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey all leave west London.

Mbokani, the DR Congo international, has had a flying start to the season, having netted eight goals in 10 games in all competitions.

His exploits have attracted the interest of Fiorentina, Milan and Juventus, and Mbokani, who was asked about speculation linking him with the latter, admits he could leave Belgium when the transfer window re-opens next year.

"I'm flattered - it is a great club and I cannot remain indifferent," he is quoted as saying in Belgian newspaper La Dernière Heure.

"Yet there are other clubs who follow me, I'm sincere. In January? Nothing is decided, we will see. Now I'm focused on Anderlecht."

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/120920/fulham-strike-target-flattered-juventus-interest-181378?#HMZmM2bxucBzGest.99

WhiteJC

Etheridge Loan Deal

The Club can confirm that Fulham goalkeeper Neil Etheridge has joined Bristol Rovers on a one-month loan deal.

The Academy graduate made his First Team bow for Fulham in last season's UEFA Europa League against Odense BK and is a regular for the Philippines' national side, earning 37 caps to date.

The 22-year-old joined the Fulham Academy in 2006 after three years as a trainee at Chelsea.

Since joining the Whites, he has spent time on loan at Leatherhead and Charlton Athletic.

League Two strugglers Rovers are at home to Fleetwood Town on Saturday (3pm).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/20/etheridge-loan?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Mahamadou Diarra could miss majority of season reveals Martin Jol

Fulham fear Mahamadou Diarra could be ruled out for the majority of the season, manager Martin Jol admitted today.

Jol revealed the potential extent of the injury Diarra suffered making his return from international exile with Mali this month.

The 31-year-old, who had not played for his country for more than a year, damaged his left knee and was forced to miss Fulham's 2-0 Barclays Premier League win over West Brom last weekend.

Jol confirmed this afternoon Diarra required some form of surgery and would miss at least another three weeks.

But if it transpires he has damaged his cruciate ligament, he could be out for up to five months.

Jol, who was expecting to learn the true extent of the damage next week, said: "There's a little piece of cartilage floating in his knee, so we have to operate that in any case, and that can be three or four weeks.

"But if there is damage to his cruciate ligament, for example, it will take a lot longer.

"It will take him three, four, five months at least."

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/fulham-midfielder-mahamadou-diarra-could-miss-majority-of-season-reveals-martin-jol-8160201.html

WhiteJC

Duo hand Fulham injury boost ahead of Wigan clash

Bryan Ruiz

Wigan v Fulham

FULHAM are boosted by the return of Bryan Ruiz and Mladen Petric for Saturday's trip to Wigan.

The pair both missed last weekend's win against West Brom through injury, but boss Martin Jol confirmed the duo were fit for the clash at the DW Stadium.

However, the Whites will have to do without Kieran Richardson, Mahamadou Diarra, Kerim Frei and Simon Davies (injured).

Philippe Senderos is back in full training but still a couple of weeks away from a return, while new signing Ashkan Dejagah is still building up his fitness work.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/20/82029-31875500/?#ixzz271IGFQcn

WhiteJC

Diarra misery for Fulham
Midfielder set for surgery as Jol waits to learn full extent of injury

Mahamadou Diarra: Fears he could miss the rest of the season with a knee injury

Fulham fear Mahamadou Diarra could be ruled out for the majority of the season with a serious knee injury.

Martin Jol has revealed Diarra damaged his knee ligaments on international duty earlier this month with Mali.
Diarra was forced to miss last weekend's win over West Brom and Jol has confirmed the former Real Madrid man required some form of surgery and would miss at least another three weeks.

However, if it transpires he has damaged his cruciate ligament, he could be out for up to five months.

Jol, who was expecting to learn the true extent of the damage next week, said: "There's a little piece of cartilage floating in his knee, so we have to operate that in any case, and that can be three or four weeks.

"But if there is damage to his cruciate ligament, for example, it will take a lot longer. It will take him three, four, five months at least."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8095203?

WhiteJC

COTTAGERS BOUNCE BACK
by Ben Blackmore, Shoot's Fulham blogger

It was an important victory for Fulham against West Brom last weekend.

The Whites had slipped to two away defeats before the international break, and it was vital that Marin Jol's side recorded three points to get back on track.

Dimitar Berbatov, described as Fulham's 'best ever signing' by Jol this week, stole the show with an all rounded superb performance. The Bulgarian netted two goals but it was his work rate that impressed.

The striker is often known for his class but has a reputation of being lazy. Berbatov put on a perfect showing to the Fulham fans, his work rate was top notch and his technical showing was one of the best seen at The Cottage.

Berbatov may have received all the credit for the victory but it is worth mentioning how solid the defence was. Having previously looked shaky in a 3-0 defeat to West Ham at Upton Park, the back four looked solid and were rarely troubled all afternoon.

It's two wins from two at the Cottage but two defeats from two away from home for the Whites and is starting to look similar to last season for the West London club, solid at home but not so impressive away from home.

The home victory was also important to shrug off the criticism and prove to the fans that Fulham are capable of playing good football despite losing last season's two best performers, Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele, to other clubs. 

It is now vitally important that Fulham kick-start their away form with three points away at Wigan. The DW Stadium is a place that Jol's side should be looking for maximum points.

The Whites should look to last season's 2-0 victory in Wigan for inspiration, and also to the fact that they have never lost to Wigan in the Premier League.

Clinical finishing will be the key for the West London Side if they are to defeat their Premier League counterparts. The team have creativity all over the pitch but will need to tuck away chances in order to start winning away from home.

To put it simply, Fulham must beat Wigan to bring confidence back into winning away from home.

For me, I've got to go for an away win. I think the creativity in Jol's side will be far too superior for Wigan, who will struggle to handle Berbatov. If the Bulgarian can match his performance from last Saturday he will be too hot to handle.

http://www.shoot.co.uk/news/latest_article/C48/premier_league/cottagers_bounce_back/?

WhiteJC

Jol's Wigan Preview

Martin Jol welcomes Bryan Ruiz and Mladen Petric back to his matchday squad for the trip to Wigan Athletic on Saturday (3pm).

The news regarding Mahamadou Diarra was less positive though, as our Manager explained to the gathered press on Thursday afternoon.

"We've got a few injuries," he said. "Kieran Richardson is still out and he's expected to be back in training next week.

"Kerim Frei is still injured, Simon Davies has got a problem with his hip, [Ashkan] Dejagah came from VfL Wolfsburg injured, and Diarra came back from international duty with a problem with his left knee.

"Diarra could be out for three or four weeks, but it could be even longer – it depends if he's got a real problem with his cartilage, with his cruciate ligament, so we have to wait and see.

"There is a little piece of cartilage floating in his knee so we have to operate on that and if there is damage to his cruciate ligament then it will take a lot longer – three, four, five months at least. We'll know for sure next week."

Philippe Senderos is another player still unavailable, but Jol is hopeful that he won't have too long to wait before he has the Swiss defender at his disposal.

"I feel that after breaking his foot, Philippe needs two weeks to come back and be match fit," he explained.

"Normally you've got four centre-backs and if Philippe is there then I've got three, and with Baird I've got four good centre-backs but Baird, of course, plays in midfield now. I need Philippe as soon as possible."

One area that now provides Jol with a welcome selection headache is our frontline, with the return of Petric and Ruiz providing the stiffest of competition for Dimitar Berbatov and Hugo Rodallega, who performed so assuredly in our last outing.

"It's nice that we've got quality up front," our Manager admitted. "Any quality striker at any club will have an influence. It's always nice to see Hugo, to see Dimitar and Petric – who's back from injury – and they've each got different qualities.

"It was a big challenge for Hugo because Petric played [the first match] and did very well. I feel that Hugo stretched West Bromwich Albion - he was a handful and, of course, we've got different options with Petric or Rodallega so we have to make a decision on that.

"Bryan Ruiz came back from injury so that is the other option to play with a number 10 and Berbatov, or play with two strikers. That is the big decision we have to make so it's either Bryan Ruiz or Hugo.

"I felt that Hugo was a bit unlucky not to score [against West Brom] as he had three or four shots on goal. He had a header that hit the bar before we scored with Steve Sidwell so he's very eager to score and he's eager to score against his former club."

One man certain to start is number nine Berbatov, who opened his account for the Whites with a brace on his Craven Cottage debut, and Jol went on record once again to express his delight at securing a player of the Bulgarian's calibre.

"Dimitar was the top scorer wherever he played," Jol said. "At Bayer Leverkusen he was top scorer and he did the same at Tottenham Hotspur. He was ahead of all the other players like Robbie Keane and [Jermain] Defoe so he's a top player.

"Even at Manchester United he was their top scorer and, of course, they trusted him there. If you sign someone, you must trust him, otherwise you better leave it.

"I was the one who took him from Germany, from Leverkusen, and to take someone from Germany for that sort of money showed a lot of confidence in the player and I think he felt that because he had other options at that time.

"I think Berbatov could have gone to Italy [before signing for Fulham]. He was almost on the fringes of going to an Italian club and then I spoke to him and maybe that convinced him. But if he plays well, like he did the other day [against West Brom] there will always be a good relationship."

The Whites have fared well in recent years against Wigan and Jol is hopeful that we can keep our good run going against the Latics on Saturday.

"When we last played Wigan they were on a high because they changed their system and had four wins and a draw," the Dutchman said.

"We were the only team who beat them so hopefully we can come up with the same answers.

"Last season we managed to get four wins away from home and a couple of draws which was not good, but it wasn't bad either. I always say that if you get five or six away wins then I think we will do well.

"I think it's always the same in away games; you have to keep a clean sheet and score a goal – preferably an early goal because that gives you a cushion."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/20/jols-wigan-preview?