watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pandoras Fulhamish Box by Alex Ferguson

Started by Mr Itchy, September 20, 2012, 04:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Itchy

Picked up a copy of the book from my local charity shop. It's a good read. Does anyone else own a copy? Could you tell me if you have autographs by Bobby Robson, Steve Heywood etc in the back? It looks like they are printed. Thanks for any info

Black, White and Fred

What is this book about?? Thought it was a joke...
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Mr Itchy

No joke mate. Alex Ferguson was known as The Traveller and the books about his tales as a traveller to away games..from Ramsgate in 68, Como in 73 and many more

Black, White and Fred

Classic, will have to try and hunt down a copy even if just for the novelty factor.
No pun intended.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

MOR :

Quote from: Mr Itchy on September 20, 2012, 04:57:17 PM
Picked up a copy of the book from my local charity shop. It's a good read. Does anyone else own a copy? Could you tell me if you have autographs by Bobby Robson, Steve Heywood etc in the back? It looks like they are printed. Thanks for any info

There should be 5 autographs on the back page...

MOR :

Quote from: Mr Itchy on September 20, 2012, 04:57:17 PM

I was on the trip to Hereford...Page73...The things we used to do and get up with...kids today don't know the half of it...

OldBrownShoe

Believe me, this is a quite fascinating and wonderful book first published in March 2003. The late and still much missed "Traveller" as Alex was known was as nice and as modest a man as you could find. A veritable fund of stories of his travels and experiences following his beloved Fulham (and England) around both here and abroad and he hardly missed a game of either unless his work for the M.O.D intervened. But it wasn't just Fulham's first team games he went to, but , reserve and junior games and tournaments, friendlies and so on be they here or in the arse-end of Europe of wherever. It wouldn't be unknown for him to leave a game at the Cottage on the final whistle and head north to England's frozen wastelands and watch Fulham's Rugby League team as was and who became the Broncos the following day and days later be footslogging across Albania to watch England and so on.

I recommend you get a taste of the man and his character by googling Alex The Traveller Ferguson.

The book itself shows programme covers, team line-ups, photos and accounts of his travel to and the background and match report/scorers of many, even quite obscure, games. I have a stack of books about Fulham and this is easily one of my favourites.  I think he had sufficient material for a second volume but sadly he died in 2006 following a long illness. However further stories of his travels have continued to be published in Toofif. His love for Fulham (and England) shone through everything he wrote.  A good man.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

LBNo11

...a lovely man who had a way with words, he wrote 'Pandora's Fulhamish Box' as well as 'A Fulhamish Coming Of Age'.

Here is a link for the book being discussed:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pandoras-Fulhamish-Box-Alex-Ferguson/dp/0953884058
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Logicalman

Thanks Ed, secured a copy for just 18 quid (+ p&p comes out at 24 quid or 42 bucks). Just one of two in the UK, and the sole one in the US is up for 103 bucks!!! Looking forward to a great read - especially being an AshWater Press publication.