more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (21/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 21, 2012, 04:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Mahamadou Diarra could face lengthy Fulham absence

Fulham's Mahamadou Diarra could be set for a prolonged absence amid fears he has damaged cruciate ligaments.

The 31-year-old injured his knee playing for Mali earlier this month.

"There's a little piece of cartilage floating in his knee," said Cottagers boss Martin Jol, who revealed the midfielder would need an operation.

The Dutchman added that if the damage was more severe than first thought, then Diarra could be out for "three, four, five months at least".

Diarra, who had featured in Fulham's first three Premier League games of the season, ended a 15-month exile from international duty by appearing in Mali's 3-0 win over Botswana.

But the former Real Madrid and Monaco midfielder then missed Saturday's 3-0 win over West Brom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19665969?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol hails Berbatov relationship

Martin Jol believes his long-running relationship with Dimitar Berbatov will be the key to the Bulgarian continuing his success at Craven Cottage.

The former Manchester United striker turned down a number of clubs before joining Fulham and scored twice on his home debut against West Brom.

It is the second time Jol and Berbatov have worked together after the Dutchman signed the striker for Spurs from Bayer Leverkusen for £10.75m in 2006 - and Jol believes that was vital.

"I feel like I was the one who took him from Germany, from Leverkusen," Jol said. "To take someone for that sort of money from Germany showed there was a lot of confidence in the player.

"He had other options at that time and he still made that decision to come to us, to me, to Tottenham. So I think that is the sort of relationship I've got with him because there was probably even a bigger club then coming in for him and he still wanted to come to Spurs.

"But we shouldn't stretch our imagination and I think Berbatov could have gone to Italy. He was on the fringe of going to an Italian club.

"And then I spoke to him and maybe that convinced him. If he plays well like he did the other day, there will always be a good relationship."

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/120920/fulham-boss-jol-hails-berbatov-relationship-181391?#mFOqqBibcp59Ts5x.99

WhiteJC

99 And Out!

When is an international not an international?

It appears when you play Hungary on 4th June!

Following the Republic of Ireland`s exit from the Euros, Damien Duff announced his retirement from international football believing that he`d reached the 100 cap mark.

Sadly it seems that is not the case with it now being inferred that the fixture, against Hungary on the aforementioned date is to be wiped form the record books due to an administration error.

Now what`s that about the luck of the Irish?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=293972#ixzz274Uj9zis

WhiteJC

Rovers Sign Fulham Keeper

Bristol Rovers have today snapped up Fulham keeper Neil Etheridge.

Etheridge signs on a one month loan deal from Premiership side Fulham and is expected to start against Fleetwood on Saturday. The shot stopper has played for the Philippines 36 times and also represented England under 16's once. The 6'3" keeper has made one appearance for Fulham in against Odense Boldklub in the 2011-12 UEFA Europa League.

Today's signing looks like ending Sam Walkers spell as number one for Rovers. Although Etheridge has only signed on a one month loan deal it may be extended longer.

Read more: http://www.bristolrovers.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=293975#ixzz274Uw5XhU

WhiteJC

Fulham boss looks to end away day blues

MARTIN Jol hopes Fulham can end their miserable away record at Wigan on Saturday.

The Fulham boss has already seen his side lose at Manchester United, Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham this season, while they have a 100 per cent record on home turf.

And with trips to Southampton and Reading also on the horizon, the Dutchman is keen to cure their travel sickness asap.

He said: "It's very important because we managed just four wins last year and a couple of draws. That was not good but it wasn't bad either.

"We were on the fringe again. For example, Sunderland, West Brom, we were the better team away from home.

"We had a few draws away from home, like Norwich, Arsenal, just before the end. It was probably in the 93rd minute and in the 84th minute, so we should've done better on that."

He added: "I always say if we manage to get five or six away wins, I think we will do well.

"It's always the same in away games. You have to keep a clean sheet and score a goal, preferably an early goal, because that always gives you a cushion."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2012/09/20/82029-31876438/?

WhiteJC

Rodallega relishing Wigan return

HUGO Rodallega is raring to go ahead of the trip to his former club Wigan at the weekend.

The Fulham forward returns to the DW Stadium for the first time since quitting the Latics to move to Craven Cottage in the summer.

Rodallega is yet to open his account for his new club, but boss Martin Jol says he's desperate to get the nod ahead of the returning Bryan Ruiz and show his old side what they're missing.

"Of course, he's eager to score against his former club," said Jol.

"I don't tell anyone the line-up before matches but that is the big decision we have to make. It's either Bryan Ruiz or Hugo."

Fellow frontman Mladen Petric and Dimitar Berbatov have hit the ground running for Fulham, with two goals apiece.

Rodallega came close to breaking his duck at West Ham earlier this month, only to be denied by the woodwork.

But Jol revealed the Colombian would not celebrate if he scores on Saturday out of respect for the Wigan faithful.

The Dutchman added: "If he scores goals, it will be very significant because the only thing which will probably be different for him is that he can't celebrate because that is not respectful."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/20/82029-31876524/?#ixzz274VblaLo

WhiteJC

Who are ya? Ashkan Dejagah (Fulham signing)

Dimitar Berbatov may have stole the headlines on deadline day for Fulham fans but the West London club also brought in Iranian international Ashkan Dejagah to boost their creative options.

The 26-year-old attacking midfielder-cum-winger is embarking on his first spell outside of Germany having spent his entire career there completing spells in the BundesLiga at Hertha Berlin and Wolfsburg.

But now Craven Cottage will be his new home after completing a late summer transfer reportedly worth some €2.5 million on a three-year deal.

A lot will be expected of Dejagah for some creative influence given the late losses of Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey to Tottenham but the early signs are promising following Berbatov's impressive cameo in the club's most recent 3-0 demolition of West Bromwich Albion.

It is expected that Dejagah will challenge Damien Duff and Bryan Ruiz for a place on the Cottagers right flank and the Iranian could be described as a fast and aggressive competitor.

We see many foreign stars come and fail in the Premier League but the BundesLiga is likely to have served Dejagah well in his footballing education.

It may have panned out very differently for Dejagah at international level with the Tehran-born player having figured for Germany at five different respective age groups up to Under 21 level for Die Mannschaft.

However, after striking four goals in 20 appearances for the Under 21's, Dejagah switched his allegiance to the country of his birth – Iran with manager and former Real Madrid boss Carlos Queiroz convincing the player that his future lay with the Asian outfit.

Dejagah has started his Iran career successfully scoring twice on his debut against Qatar in February of this year and he will look to emulate the exploits of successful Iranian footballers before him – Ali Daei, Ali Karimi and Vahid Hashemian.

Dejagah will be the second Iranian to play Premier League football following Andranik Teymourian's spells with Bolton Wanderers and indeed Fulham a few years back.

Speaking of his new transfer to West London, Dejagah told the club's official website: "I'm very happy to be signing for Fulham and to come to play in the Premier League.

"I know Sascha (Riether) well and he told me very good things about the club and ; after I had spoken to the manager and heard about the project here, I was convinced.

"So I am happy to be here and I will give my best for the club and our fans."

http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/2012/09/who-are-ya-ashkan-dejagah-fulham?

WhiteJC

Duff didn't want to be made a special case

For an international retiree, it was quite an eventful day yesterday as Damien Duff at first lost and then gained back a cap to retain his status as an Irish centurion.
The Fulham man was reportedly happy to have the situation resolved but only once it was made clear to him that the FAI's decision also applied to his team-mates and that a special exemption was not being made for him.

The winger's total of 100 caps — the last of which came in the European Championship game against Italy in Poznan — had appeared under threat after it emerged that, owing to an administrative error by the Hungarian FA, the Euros warm-up friendly between Ireland and Hungary in Budapest on June 4 was not recognised by Fifa as an official 'A'-match.

That would have reduced Duff's caps total to 99 as well as also reducing by one the number of caps gained by the other players who featured in the game in the Ferenc Puskas Stadium, among them Duff's fellow centurions Robbie Keane and Shay Given.

However, following contact with both Fifa and the Hungarian FAyesterday, the FAI were able to confirm that, since the awarding of caps is at the discretion of each national association, those handed out for the match in Budapest will stand. In a statement, the FAI said it had "decided that the players who participated in the fixture deserve caps, particularly Damien Duff for the service that he gave to his country. Consequently, the Association has informed Damien that it will recognise his status as having earned 100 caps for Ireland."

The initial problem arose because one of the Danish team of officials for the game in Budapest — assistantreferee David Vang Andersen — was not on the current list of Fifa referees and, for that reason, the worldgoverning body are not recognising the fixture for their international ranking coefficient.

As hosts, the Hungarian FA were responsible for all aspects of the fixture and the association is now havingdiscussions with Fifa in a bid to have the fixture officially recognised. But while it's unlikely that they will succeed in that endeavour, they have also indicated that — like the FAI — it is still their intention to record the fixture as an international match for the purposes of caps.

The FAI also pointed out yesterday that there are numerous precedents for national associations using theirdiscretion to either award or withhold international caps. For example, the FAI awarded caps for the abandoned friendly against England at Lansdowne Road in 1995 whereas the English FA did not. By contrast, English players who participated in the 1963 England against the Rest Of The World match were recognised by the FA with caps. Similarly, players who participated in matches played by Ireland against Italy B and West German B teams weregiven caps, even though the matches would not have been recognised by Fifa as full 'A' internationals.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/duff-didnt-want-to-be-made-a-special-case-208386.html?

WhiteJC

Diarra Could Be Out For 'Months', Says Jol
by LORK on SEPTEMBER 20, 2012

Diarra has become a key member of Fulham's team since joining earlier this year

A big blow for Fulham's Premier League aspirations today as Jol revealed the extent of the injury suffered by key midfielder Mahamadou Diarra. After confirming that Diarra would need an operation to clear up some loose cartilage in his knee – an injury picked up on his return to the Mali international set up a couple of weeks ago after an extended exile – Jol went on to say:

...if there is damage to his cruciate ligament, for example, it will take a lot longer. It will take him three, four, five months at least.

No doubt the Fulham manager will be concerned as the injury just compounds his midfield woes, and if the Diarra injury is as bad is it is feared he will be a huge loss after an increasingly impressive standard of performance in a Fulham shirt.

There was some good news however, as during the same press conference Jol announced Ruiz would be fit to play against Wigan. Nothing was said about injury doubt Mladen Petric.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/09/diarra-could-be-out-for-months-says-jol/?

mr-ska

Fulham Boss Plans Hangeland   Talks..

MARTIN Jol plans to hold further talks with Brede Hangeland in a bid to tie the defender's long-term future to Fulham.

The Norwegian centre-half is in the final 12 months of his contract at Craven Cottage, but the club have begun negotiations to extend his stay in SW6.

Aaron Hughes signed a new deal last week and boss Jol hopes Hangeland will join his defensive partner in committing his future.

He said: "That will take a bit longer because we don't talk to him every day but there will be another appointment as we try to keep him here for the long-term.

"If that is not possible then we will try to keep him for the next two years

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/21/fulham-boss-plans-hangeland-talks-82029-31876914/#ixzz275R5NMRX

mr-ska

CHRIS Baird and Steve Sidwell have admitted this season is their best chance of cementing places in Fulham's first team.

The mass exodus in the middle of the park that saw Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu, Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele depart over the summer left Baird and Sidwell as pair last men standing in Saturday's 3-0 win over West Brom – and both grabbed the opportunity by the scruff of the neck.

Sidwell banged the final nail into Albion's coffin for the 3-0 win, and Baird enjoyed a commanding display in the centre as Whites returned to winning ways.

Waiting in the wings is the injured Kieran Richardson, Mahamadou Diarra and new recruit Giorgos Karagounis – but the combined age of the last two is a hefty 66, and that alone offers plenty of reasons for Baird and Sidders to lick their lips.

"It's my second start this season – and I thought I did all right in the midfield to be fair to myself," said Baird.

"I'm happy here at Fulham, and every opportunity I get I will show the manager I can play in that position – and I don't think I did my chances any harm after this match."

Sidwell likewise reckons he can keep Karagounis and co warming the bench for a little while longer.

"When I came here under Mark Hughes I got thrown straight in and played every game up until my injury," he said.

"My foot was in the door then – and obviously I've got another chance with Clint and Mousa going.

"Now it's down to me to make that count."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/21/midfield-duo-ready-to-fill-fulham-void-82029-31878661/#ixzz275hGlsQ4

WhiteJC

FM Preview: Wigan Athletic v Fulham 22 Sep 2012

FootyMad attempt to assist you with their form guide as Wigan Athletic take on Fulham in a Premier League match on 22nd September 2012 at 15:00.
History of the Wigan Athletic v Fulham fixture

Fulham face a trip to Wigan Athletic at Robin Park on Saturday afternoon, hoping to improve upon an average previous return from this fixture. Of the 21 games played, Cottagers have recorded 5 wins, and Wigan Athletic have come away with 8 victories.

The most recent encounter between these two sides at Robin Park was less than a year ago, in October 2011, as the visitors ran out cosy 0 - 2 winners in a Premier League match.

Recent encounters between the teams
Season   Date   Team   Result   Team   Comp
2011/2012   Sat 21 Apr   Fulham   2 - 1   Wigan Ath.   Premier League
2011/2012   Sat 29 Oct   Wigan Ath.   0 - 2   Fulham   Premier League
2010/2011   Sat 15 Jan   Wigan Ath.   1 - 1   Fulham   Premier League
2010/2011   Sat 30 Oct   Fulham   2 - 0   Wigan Ath.   Premier League
2009/2010   Sun 04 Apr   Fulham   2 - 1   Wigan Ath.   Premier League
2009/2010   Sun 08 Nov   Wigan Ath.   1 - 1   Fulham   Premier League
2008/2009   Sat 07 Feb   Wigan Ath.   0 - 0   Fulham   Premier League

Recent respective form guides
Wigan Athletic have lost just once in their last six home games, winning four and drawing the other one. A total of 12 goals have been scored by the Latics in those games, with 6 conceded.

In complete contrast to Wigan Athletic, Fulham are having a torrid time on their travels, chalking up just 1 victory, with 5 defeats, from the last six. Cottagers have conceded 13 goals in these games, and only hit 3 in reply.

Wigan Athletic find themselves struggling down in 14th position in the league having picked up 4 points from their 4 matches.
Fulham's 6 points from 4 games sees them lie inside the top half of the table, in 9th position.

Current overall team form
Team   P   W   D   L   F   A   P
Wigan Athletic   6   3   1   2   11   11   10
Fulham   6   2   0   4   10   9   6

FootyMad's prediction ...
FootyMad see this game edging towards a narrow win for the Latics, as the Cottagers have been none too clever on the road in recent matches. Home win

Sequence statistics

Team   Sequences
Wigan Athletic   Failed to win in previous 2 home matches.
Not won in the 2 most recent games.

Fulham   Lost each of the previous 4 away matches.
Not won in previous 4 away matches.
Last drawn game 11 outings ago.

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_wigan_athletic_v_fulham_22_sep_2012_758795/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Building Momentum

After getting over the disappointment of back-to-back Barclays Premier League defeats by comfortably dispatching West Bromwich Albion at the Cottage, Aaron Hughes is looking forward to taking some momentum into Saturday's game at the DW Stadium (3pm).

"It was nice to come back after the international break and get a win after the disappointment of West Ham United," Aaron told fulhamfc.com. "So we got that and that's something we'll take into the game on Saturday up at Wigan Athletic.

"We both play good football and obviously Roberto Martinez is big on how he plays – getting the ball down and knocking it around.

"They have a nice style about them and I guess that's what we're known for as well so it should be a good football match. I think it will be a close one too and we'll be hoping we can get something from the game."

The Latics have failed to take maximum points against Fulham in six years but Hughes insisted that they'll be taking nothing for granted despite Wigan's poor record against the Whites.

"It's one of those where if we win a game against someone that we hadn't beaten for six years, I don't think we'd read too much into it," he explained. "Saturday will be a different day and anything can happen on that one day.

"So we'll just be going up there, prepared as normal, and hoping to put in a good away performance."

This time last year, Hughes and his teammates were still searching for a first Premier League win of the 2011/12 campaign. In pleasing contrast, victory on Saturday would make it nine points from a possible 15 and Aaron admitted his delight at our early-season form.

"I think it's a pretty good start if you get three wins out of the first five," he said. "You'd take that – I think most clubs would. I think even some of the top clubs would look at that and say it's not a bad start.

"It's always nice to get wins early on the board and we've got a couple of good ones already. Even the game against Manchester United – the result didn't go for us but the performance, second half especially, meant we could have got something there.

"It was really only the West Ham game where I thought we let ourselves down a little bit. If we can go up to Wigan at the weekend and put in a performance similar to what we did at United and similar to the two home games that we've had already, then we've got a good chance of getting something."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/21/building-momentum?

WhiteJC

Fulham Third Kit Released
by LORK on SEPTEMBER 21, 2012

The Fulham third kit

Unless I've entirely missed this and it's gone under the radar, Fulham have recently put out the third kit option for the 2012/13 season. Incorporating two diagonal slashes across a dark blue body, it certainly follows on from the unorthodox, but popular, orange away kit.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/09/fulham-third-kit-released/?

WhiteJC

Wigan v FULHAM: Petric and Ruiz battle to start alongside Berbatov in attack

Fulham welcome back Bryan Ruiz and Mladen Petric for Saturday's Barclays Premier League game at Wigan.

Both forwards missed last weekend's 2-0 win over West Brom and will vie for a place alongside Dimitar Berbatov at the DW Stadium.

Battle for position: Bryan Ruiz (right) will hope to start for the Cottagers

Mahamadou Diarra (knee), Kieran Richardson (hip), Kerim Frei (pelvis) and Philippe Senderos (foot) remain sidelined, while new recruit Ashkan Dejagah is not yet match fit.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Hangeland, Riether, Hughes, Riise, Sidwell, Duff, Kacaniklic, Petric, Berbatov, Rodallega, Baird, Briggs, Kelly, Stockdale, Kasami, Ruiz, Karagounis, Somogyi.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2206567/Wigan-v-FULHAM-Mladen-Petric-Bryan-Ruiz-battle-start-alongside-Dimitar-Berbatov-attack.html#ixzz276yyJfMv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Golden Touch

The brand new Fulham Third Kit for the 2012/13 season is now available for you to order online, in celebration of the first wear against Wigan Athletic on Saturday 22nd September.

The new Third shirt has a striking gold and white sash, in what is a first for Fulham. The FxPro sponsor logo has been moved beneath the crest, making this shirt unique in the replica range. It also features embroidered Kappa Ominis with gold trim to both shoulders and a small gold FFC logo on the collar.

Choose between long or short sleeves and personalise your Third Shirt with the name and squad number of your Fulham hero.

Be amongst the first to own the 2012/13 Third Kit by ordering online or direct on 0843 208 1223 today!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/21/third-kit?

WhiteJC

FULHAM BOSS MARTIN JOL MAY HAVE TO DRAFT IN MAHAMADOU DIARRA REPLACEMENT

FULHAM boss Martin Jol fears crocked Mahamadou Diarra could miss most of the season and he may have to bring in a replacement.

Midfielder Diarra injured his left knee on his international return for Mali earlier this month.

Jol is worried the ex-Real Madrid man may have suffered cruciate ligament damage.

He has already signed Greece star Giorgios Karagounis on a free transfer and admits he may need to bring in another midfielder if Diarra is going to be out long term.

"He will have an operation next week which would normally mean he would be out of action for three or four weeks,'' said Jol.

"But if there is damage to his cruciate ligament then he will miss four or five months at least.

"So we are still looking to bring someone in and maybe there is another Diarra in the market because sometimes you can do deals with free agents outside the transfer window."

Defender Chris Baird will continue to deputise in midfield for the trip to Wigan tomorrow having impressed in last week's win over West Brom.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/273245/Fulham-boss-Martin-Jol-may-have-to-draft-in-Mahamadou-Diarra-replacement/?

WhiteJC

Bettinelli Extends Darts Spell

Fulham youngster Marcus Bettinelli has extended his loan spell at non-League Dartford for a further month.

The 20-year-old goalkeeper has impressed hugely during his time at the Blue Square Bet Premier side since joining them in late August, playing in five wins and two defeats.

That upturn in form for Dartford has seen them move up to sixth in the Conference table.

The Darts travel to fourth-placed Wrexham on Saturday (3pm).

Bettinelli is one of four Fulham starlets currently plying their trade away from SE6. Richard Peniket is with Kidderminster Harriers and Corey Gameiro is with FC Eindhoven, while Neil Etheridge joined Bristol Rovers on a temporary basis on Thursday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/21/bettenelli-extends-darts-spell?

WhiteJC

Wigan Athletic v Fulham F.C: Match Preview

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has backed flop striker Mauro Boselli to make a big impact at the DW Stadium this season.

The Argentinian reportedly cost the Latics more than £6m when he arrived from Estudiantes in the summer of 2010 but he has made only 14 appearances for the club, with his two goals both coming in the League Cup.

He spent a spell on loan at Genoa in Italy in 2011 before heading back to Estudiantes last season.

But the 27-year-old has now returned to Lancashire and is a regular in the Wigan squad this season, scoring in the Capital One Cup victory over Nottingham Forest in August.

He has been kept off the pitch in the Premier League by the form of Franco Di Santo and Arouna Kone, but Martinez is confident Boselli's time will come.

The Wigan boss said: "Mauro's attitude has been tremendous. He wants to play games, he wants to be ready to help the team, and that's a real sign of maturity. He's going to be very important."

Wigan will look to bounce back from last weekend's 4-0 drubbing by United tomorrow when they host Fulham, who have won both their home matches but are yet to pick up a point on the road.

Although Ali Al Habsi saved a penalty last week, it was not his best day in a Wigan shirt, the keeper at least partially at fault for two of the goals.

But Martinez felt the responsibility for the defeat lay with the whole team.

The Spaniard said: "He's a really solid character and a player who represents what we want to do.

"Ali's been in tremendous form and I think on Saturday as a team we dropped our standards, probably that little intensity that you need wasn't there, and we let ourselves down.

"As a player you're going to have good days and bad days but he's always wanted to improve and to take responsibility."
Wigan Athletic 1 Fulham F.C. 0

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/wigan_athletic/s/1589336_wigan-athletic-v-fulham-fc-match-preview

cebu

Wigan prepare for Hugo return

Last Updated: September 21 2012, 14:21 BST

Wigan will welcome back a familiar face when Fulham head to the DW Stadium for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash.

Wigan v Fulham. Click here to bet.

Hugo Rodallega:

Related Content
Football Transfer Centre
The latest football news
Follow us on Twitter
Free £10 bet on football

Striker Hugo Rodallega left the Latics in the summer after refusing to sign a new contract before joining Martin Jol's men in July.

The manner of the Colombian's departure from Wigan means he is likely to be in for a hot reception from the home fans, but Martinez believes Rodallega will go down in history as one of the club's favourite sons.

Rodallega's tally of 24 goals makes him Wigan's all-time leading goalscorer in the Premier League, while his winner against Stoke in the final game of the 2010-11 season kept the club in the top flight.

Martinez said: "We know Hugo really well. It's one of those situations where I'm sure when Hugo retires everyone will have incredible memories of his past at Wigan Athletic and I'm sure he'll have a really soft spot for his time at Wigan.

"I think it was a really special relationship. Now he's moved on, he's got a different challenge, we've moved on, and when you play against each other you both fight for your own aims.

"But Hugo's past will always be remembered and I'm sure every fan will have a special moment."

Wigan will look to bounce back from last weekend's 4-0 defeat against Manchester United at Old Trafford with their first home win of the season.

Fulham traditionally struggle on their travels and have lost both their away games so far this season, narrowly against Manchester United and then disappointingly to West Ham.

Martinez said: "They're very strong at home, arguably the best team in the league playing at home at the moment.

"Away from home they've had a mixture but their game at Old Trafford was a game they finished really strongly and maybe they should have got something out of it.

"They have a really strong group of players that have been there for a long time and they have a really important know how about their football club. And the new players have settled in quickly so I think it's a very well-balanced side.

"Every time we've played Fulham they've always been really difficult games, very close, and they come down to small details, so I expect more of the same on Saturday."

Fulham were impressive winners last weekend, beating in-form West Brom 3-0 with two goals from Dimitar Berbatov, a summer arrival from Manchester United and someone Martinez knows his side will need to be wary of.

"He has tremendous experience and is a player who brings that big-club knowledge into a squad, and that's always important," said the Latics boss. "He looks hungry, he looks fresh and that's always a real threat. We'll have to be very aware of that."

When Fulham last visited the DW Stadium 13 months ago, Wigan were in the middle of a sorry run that saw them lose nine matches in a row.

Their home form looked set to condemn them to relegation, with Martinez's side failing to win a match at the DW Stadium between August and the end of March before a brilliant finish helped them secure a remarkable escape for the second successive season.

The Spaniard is well aware of the need to do better on home soil this time if they are to avoid the same scenario but, after a loss to Chelsea and a draw with Stoke so far, he is not in too much of a hurry.

Martinez said: "The way we finished last season was very strong and we were very consistent over the last third of the season. Of course we need to get wins and positive results but how we're going to get them is more important to me at this stage.

"We really looked forward to coming back to the DW Stadium and we've had two very different games so far. Fulham is going to be something different, too. That's what this league brings you and we need to be ready."

Wigan's only injury doubt is centre-back Antolin Alcaraz, who continues to recover from a groin strain picked up on international duty and will have a late fitness test.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/8097485/wigan-prepare-for-hugo-return