watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Merged threads re Diarra injury

Started by Jambo, September 20, 2012, 01:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

I can understand Jols lack of info , I am suffering a similar problem and because the ligament crosses over the cartilage just under the knee cap , until they go in they won't know, only difference he is being done now i will probably be seen for a scan next year!

cebu

Perhaps this might be an opportunity for Grygera to get into the squad.

Burt

Too much missing information here.

Namely has he damaged his cruciate or not? That is still an unknown, and the gap is best case 3 weeks, worst case 6 months.

Lets see what emerges...

ffcbulgaria

Quote from: MasterHaynes on September 20, 2012, 04:29:59 PM
Drat! i just had a feeling that when he said he was making an international comeback he would get injured out there. He should have left well alone and we should have made it a condition on signing him, especially with the Nations Cup this January.

I must admit I have been thinking about the same. Especially since my last viewings of the African Cup have left me thinking what a brutal football is practiced over there - crazy lunges and mindless challenges. Once I read about his unretirement i was just hoping he wouldn't feature much but then.... we see what happened

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on September 20, 2012, 05:47:30 PM
Massive massive blow for us.... If he is out for months we will struggle in midfield, our best CM by a country mile.....
On another note - we did see in our last 2 losses all the arguing between Diarra and Brede. We didn't see any of that stuff in WBA game apart from Berbatov giving "friendly" instructions by pointing, which is quite different anyway :D It might actually be for the better - less quality but more commitment and increased squad harmony!

Berserker

Yes I was thinking about the Brede/Diarra arguing situation when reading this thread earlier.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

cmg

I cannot agree about supposed detrimental effects of this 'arguing' business. Diarra is a massively experienced international team captain (as is Hangeland), he was an absolutely central figure in two Real Madrid la Liga-winning sides, he has an enormous amount of value to contribute. Heated  discussion, even disagreement on the field does not necessarilly indicate disharmony (you have to shout to make yourself heard, for instance). Schwarzer, another experience international skipper, was giving his defenders a fearful bollocking at some stages on Saturday. Berbatov will have a lot to say for himself, too, again with good reason.

When you have high profile players you must expect them to put themselves about a bit. Murph was the undoubted main man among some strong, silent types who have now departed (and Zamora who was a moaner).

ffcbulgaria

I choose to disagree - i have played collective sports for a long time and it obviously can have negative effect. You can play with the best player you know but he will shout at you like you are an idiot and you can play with the same level of player who will give u advice but in a proper way.

It's not about just saying something to someone. WHen u have a certain player barking at the team captain how does it look to you and the rest of your teammates?

Crita

Quote from: Berserker on September 20, 2012, 09:37:57 PM
Yes I was thinking about the Brede/Diarra arguing situation when reading this thread earlier.

As in you think Brede might have signed up to play for Egypt and then crunched Diarra to solve his problems?  :005:

In all seriousness, I hope Diarra's recovery is swift. I also think we'll cope reasonably well in his absence.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Berserker on September 20, 2012, 05:40:02 PM
If he is out for most of the season can we use his squad place for a replacement?
Not his place, no. but there are still several places left in our squad as we've only registered 22 or 23...so at least two places left.
I think we may do something (again) if the cruciate ligament damage is confirmed...we all hope it's only those three-four weeks but you never know. ballack, hargreaves, reo-coker (in talks with charlton) still available. our squad is paper-thin in central midfield. it's only sidders and bairdinho atm and the likes of karagounis (bit-part player), smith, minkwitz, donegan (all inexperienced) and kasami (I'm convinced Jol sees him as an attacking mid though). it's an issue IF Diarra is out for the three-five months that Jol mentioned. a big issue.

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 20, 2012, 03:28:57 PM
Quote from: mangoputney on September 20, 2012, 03:23:17 PM
More Jol wummery

Could be floating cartilage, could be cruciate... Surely these are massively different???

Weren't it just a 'knock'... The bs coming out of the cottage since end of last season has been immense

Could just be that Jol's not a surgeon.

Diarra's having an operation to remove some floating cartilage and there may be more extensive damage but the surgeon won't know until he has a look.

I'm guessing Jol won't be carrying out the operation.

Hope that helps you understand.
:011:

WolverineFFC

Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on September 21, 2012, 01:24:32 AM
More Jol wummery

Could be floating cartilage, could be cruciate... Surely these are massively different???

Weren't it just a 'knock'... The bs coming out of the cottage since end of last season has been immense

Diarra's having an operation to remove some floating cartilage and there may be more extensive damage but the surgeon won't know until he has a look.

I'm just a Yank in the medical field over here, so I may not be as up on how medical science goes in the UK. But that is kind of an odd statement from Jol regarding Diarra's knee. Any decent surgeon (or for that matter primary doc) should be able to distinguish an ACL/PCL injury from simple cartilage damage with office exam and diagnostic testing. Can you find a surprise once you get into the knee? Sure, but that is the exception instead of the rule.

Makes me think 1 of 2 things is going on. Either 1) Jol was just waxing on about the uncertainty of medical science in general and it is likely cartilage damage. or 2) FFC know his cruciate is torn and are trying to slowly introduce the idea of him being out for the season. That way they break the bad news slowly, hoping to cushion the fall out from fans over their inability to get enough cover in the midfield in the window.

mangoputney

Thank you Wolverine, exactly what I was getting at
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

cebu

Quote from: WolverineFFC on September 21, 2012, 04:44:50 AM
Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on September 21, 2012, 01:24:32 AM
More Jol wummery

I'm just a Yank in the medical field over here, so I may not be as up on how medical science goes in the UK. But that is kind of an odd statement from Jol regarding Diarra's knee. Any decent surgeon (or for that matter primary doc) should be able to distinguish an ACL/PCL injury from simple cartilage damage with office exam and diagnostic testing. Can you find a surprise once you get into the knee? Sure, but that is the exception instead of the rule.

Makes me think 1 of 2 things is going on. Either 1) Jol was just waxing on about the uncertainty of medical science in general and it is likely cartilage damage. or 2) FFC know his cruciate is torn and are trying to slowly introduce the idea of him being out for the season. That way they break the bad news slowly, hoping to cushion the fall out from fans over their inability to get enough cover in the midfield in the window.

Thanks for the explanation WolverineFFC. I'm not a medical man, but was nevertheless surprised by Jol's comments.

So now we fans are in the classic position of hoping for the best while fearing the worst.

The whole thing could really bring out the conspiracy theorists ...   086.gif

TonyGilroy

I just think that Jol chats quite casually at these press conferences. I think he tells the truth but he isn't weighing his words as if he was on oath.

I think if he knew the extent of the injury he'd say. If he's not sure then its reasonable to say "it could be this or it could be that". If he fears it's a bad injury but isn't certain he also has to take the players feelings into consideration.