https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Match Fixing by any other name?

Started by Logicalman, September 21, 2012, 12:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

BBC football

Michael Laudrup has no problem with rivals paying teams to win

Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup says he sees no problem with teams paying rival sides to win games.

The Dane stressed he was completely against "match fixing", but believes the term needs to be "better defined".

He said: "If Swansea play the last game against a team and a third team pays Swansea to win the game, I really don't see anything bad about that."

Accepting money to influence the outcome of a match is against Football Association and Premier League rules.

Laudrup was asked about the issue of match fixing by a journalist working for European media organisations at a news conference.

The scenario Laudrup describes could involve a club in the relegation zone paying a team a bonus if they beat one of their closest rivals, enabling the threatened club to stay up.

Laudrup, who has 104 caps and 37 goals for Denmark, was asked the question because he played for Lazio and Juventus in the 1980s, and Italian football continues to be dogged by match-fixing claims.

As many as 13 Italian clubs - mainly from the second division - are under investigation. Juventus coach Antonio Conte was given a 10-month suspension in August for not reporting alleged match-fixing in two games involving ex-club Siena in the 2010-11 season. He denies the claims and is appealing.

Laudrup, 48, said players guilty of being paid to lose should be banned from the game for life instead of being given fixed-term bans.

He said: "To say I'm against that [match-fixing] is like saying today it's Thursday - it's obvious.

"The worst match fixing I've heard was what happened in Italy before I came there in the beginning of the 80s, where somebody bought three or four of the players in a team to lose a game.

"That means that seven or eight players in a team were playing to win, like normal, and three or four of them just to lose."

However Laudrup has no issue with what is known in Spanish football as the "suitcases" culture.

"It's just a bonus. For me, match-fixing is somebody pays someone to lose a game," he said.

"In Spain where there's one or two matches left in a season we always talked about the suitcases.

"But the suitcases is to win - I don't see anything bad about that.

"I think we have to define very well what is match-fixing because there's different levels, I think."

Spokesmen for both the Football Association and Premier League declined to comment specifically on Laudrup's revelations.

But the FA pointed to rule E5(a) of its regulations, which states:
• a participant shall not, directly or indirectly, offer, agree to give, give, solicit, agree to accept or accept any bribe, gift or reward or consideration of any nature which is, or could appear to be related in any way to seeking to influence the outcome or conduct of a match or competition.

The Premier League has a rule stating that "a cub shall not either directly or indirectly:
• be involved in or have any power to determine or influence the management or administration of another club or Football League club; or
• permit any other club or Football League club to be involved in or have any power to determine or influence its management or administration.

And:
• in all matters and transactions relating to the League each club shall behave towards each other club and the League with the utmost good faith.

Logicalman

Suitcases? Is that what our 'Arry would (allegedly) call brown envelopes then?

TonyGilroy

It's a very short step from that to "you're only willing to pay us £X to win. I think it's going to take £X + £Y"

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Logicalman on September 21, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

I think he calls it a doggy bag.

Logicalman

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 21, 2012, 01:03:33 PM
It's a very short step from that to "you're only willing to pay us £X to win. I think it's going to take £X + £Y"

Perfectly correct, good observation.

cmg

I am sure that Michael, having represented those bastions of integrity Juventus and those nice people from Lazio, can be considered as having some expertise in these matters.

epsomraver

Yet another reason to stop watching Premier league football :dft007:

MikeR

If I understood correctly, Moussa's deal to Tottenham includes a substantial bonus for us if they make the CL - but we could affect that by our results. Can somebody explain to me how such a contract clause (if it exists) is not indirectly influencing "the management or administration of another club or Football League club"?
We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken

MontenegroWhite

They do that in Spain for years. Especially Real Madrid when they are in a must of catching Barcelona. Totally wrong, for me.

epsomraver

Quote from: MikeR on September 21, 2012, 01:35:27 PM
If I understood correctly, Moussa's deal to Tottenham includes a substantial bonus for us if they make the CL - but we could affect that by our results. Can somebody explain to me how such a contract clause (if it exists) is not indirectly influencing "the management or administration of another club or Football League club"?

Because this is for a specific match that would directly influence a title.

nose

This interview was amazing. what planet is ladrup on. This is definitely match fixing 'lite'. Can you imagine the opportunity to a team not needing the points to say OK give us a few bob and will try otherwise i'll play the reserves....   I think something similar was said above. It is indeed the thin end of the wedge!
the man needs to be finned massively by the FA for, on this occasion' genuinely bringing the game in to disrepute.

cebu

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 21, 2012, 01:03:33 PM

I couldn't agree more, TG. Laudrup's position really is just a very small step away from the situation you highlight.

Bad Laudrup!   :dft007:

Ron Sheepskin

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 21, 2012, 01:04:04 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on September 21, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

I think he calls it a doggy bag.

:drums:
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Chesh

Quote from: nose on September 21, 2012, 01:51:47 PM
This interview was amazing. what planet is ladrup on. This is definitely match fixing 'lite'. Can you imagine the opportunity to a team not needing the points to say OK give us a few bob and will try otherwise i'll play the reserves....   I think something similar was said above. It is indeed the thin end of the wedge!
the man needs to be finned massively by the FA for, on this occasion' genuinely bringing the game in to disrepute.
Agreed, along with the scenario that TG mentions.

It is not what we want in England, and Laudrup can FO back to Spain or Italy where he thinks it's the norm.

Unbelievably ridiculous, ill thought out, and frankly thick comments from someone who I kind of respected before.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Berserker

I find it hard for a manager to actually say this openly, plus not get into trouble for his comments. Anything that happens now in the Prem this season will make me wonder if there is a bit of fixing going on.   
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

jazz hardrockin

Quote from: Berserker on September 21, 2012, 02:55:50 PM
I find it hard for a manager to actually say this openly, plus not get into trouble for his comments. Anything that happens now in the Prem this season will make me wonder if there is a bit of fixing going on.   

It takes two to Tango.... :dft012:
No animal is being hurt in the making of this posting.

cusackdribble

Had been impressed with him until this. One of those occasions on which it is probably best to keep it to yourself. Glenn Hoddle probably knows that feeling...

epsomraver

It's called foot and mouth disease, open one and put the other in it.

MJG

Stupid idea to allow a third party any kind of influence on a game.
Open's up so many avenues for bribes as well.

Aaron

This was on thedailymash, right?

He can't have ACTUALLY said this?