https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (23/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 23, 2012, 07:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Why Spurs Have Joined Fulham In The Race To Sign Anderlecht's Dieumerci Mbokani

Dieumerci Mbokani 2011-2012
Dieumerci Mbokani was drafted in at Anderlecht last season as a replacement for the departing golden boy, Romelu Lukaku. After an impressive 15 goals in 30 games for Anderlecht in his first full season, memories of Lukaku must have quickly faded into history. It now seems that Tottenham, alongside Fulham and a host of other European clubs, including Juventus, have caught wind of the congolese striker's talents and want some of it for themselves. Judging by the video from last season, it's easy to see why. Mbokani is lightning quick, a lethal finisher and good in the air. He reminds us of a premium version of Hugo Rodallega, particularly strong peeling off the last man, which is perhaps why Fulham are so interested after the Colombian has failed to score for the Cottagers. There's room for improvement on that celebration though...

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/why-spurs-have-joined-fulham-in-the-race-to-sign-anderlechts-dieumerci-mbokani/?

WhiteJC

New Heroes for a New Era?

Being one of the less fashionable clubs, but grateful for our place in the grand order of things, losing our star players to the bigger teams is something we have to live with.

But, there`s no denying that the last few days of the transfer window were very cruel to us with both Dembele and Dempsey going to Spurs.

Speaking ahead of the clash with Wigan this afternoon, Martin Jol has spoken about what life in the Fulham hot-seat can be like, remarking,

"We have to build again and take two steps back to go forward again. Hopefully we can do that because of the likes of Petric and Berbatov - but we also need players in midfield to contribute goals. You have to score at least 50 goals to do well in this league."

"Dembele was my best player and Dempsey was my top scorer. We had to come up with something and we did against West Brom thanks to Berbatov and with Mladen against Norwich in our first game."

"I am very happy that we have that sort of quality up front."

A couple of new heroes for a new era!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=294146#ixzz27GxdqMpb

WhiteJC

Fulham showed initiative against Wigan - Martin Jol

Fulham manager Martin Jol says it is "very positive" that his side have secured their first away points of the season, after beating Wigan 2-1 at the DW Stadium.

Cottagers striker Hugo Rodallega scored the opener, and Jol admitted he hoped playing against his old club would motivate the Colombian.

Damien Duff doubled Fulham's lead with a second-half strike and Arouna Kone managed to pull one back for Wigan late on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19688366?

WhiteJC

U18s 3-2 Manchester City

Fulham Under-18s made it four wins from four when they defeated Manchester City 3-2 at Motspur Park on Saturday.

The Whites took the lead through top scorer Cauley Woodrow in the first half when the striker tucked home from close range following good work by Pat Roberts. It was Woodrow's seventh goal of the season and he nearly made it eight moments later when he rattled the crossbar.

Steve Wigley's men doubled their lead in the second half when Lyle Della Verde scored an absolute screamer from distance after collecting George Williams' pass.

City halved the deficit not long after when 14-year-old substitute Aaron Nemane found the back of the net after the away side countered quickly following a Fulham corner.

The goal spurred City on and Max Oberschmidt had to react quickly to deny them an equaliser.

But it was the Whites who scored next when Muamer Tankovic swept home following more good work from Williams.

Nemane grabbed his second of the game to ensure a nervy finale, but Wigley's charges did enough to hold onto their spot at the top of the league.

Fulham Team: Oberschmidt; Donnelly, Passley (Hyndman), Arthurworrey, Evans; Williams, Roberts (O'Halloran), Sambou, Della Verde; Tankovic, Woodrow. Subs (not used): Norman, Richards, O'Reilly.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/22/u18s-result?

WhiteJC

Arsenal on alert as Brede Hangeland still 'nowhere near' new Fulham deal
Fulham manager Martin Jol has said the club will continue talks with defender Brede Hangeland over a new deal at Craven Cottage, although nothing is yet close to completion.

Brede Hangeland (right) has been at Fulham since 2008 (Picture: AFP)

The 31-year-old Norwegian has become a vital part of Fulham's back-line since joining from FC Copenhagen in 2008, but is out of contract in the summer.

Despite the Cottagers' desire to keep hold of their prized asset, a new deal does not appear close to completion, with the player's agent stating in August that no extension was on the cards and several clubs, including London rivals Arsenal, are thought to be keeping tabs on the situation.

However, Jol insists he wants Hangeland to remain at the club beyond the end of the season, although he too admits terms are yet to be agreed.

'That will take a bit longer because we don't talk to him every day but there will be another appointment as we try to keep him here for the long term,' said Jol.

'If that is not possible then we will try to keep him for the next two years.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/912879-arsenal-on-alert-as-brede-hangeland-still-nowhere-near-new-fulham-deal#ixzz27Gzd1JoX

WhiteJC

Basement boys Barnet pull off transfer coup with signing of former Fulham man John

League Two Barnet have signed former Dutch international striker Collins John as they bid to maintain their Football League status.

John has played in the Premier League with Fulham, scoring 20 goals in a five year spell at Craven Cottage.

John was Fulham's top scorer with 11 goals in the 2005–06 season and the 26-year-old also has Football League experience after loan spells at Leicester and Watford.

Premier class: Collins John made his name for Fulham in the Premier League

The striker was born in Liberia and came to the fore in Holland with FC Twente before a £600k move to Fulham in 2004 he was also part of the Dutch U21 squad that won the 2006 European Championship in Portugal.

John said: 'I am happy to be back in England, I enjoyed my time at Fulham, and now I am older, more experienced and excited to be playing in the English league.

'I was offered the chance to play for Barnet and I just grabbed the opportunity especially as I love the style of English football which I have missed. The training facilities at The Hive are amazing.

'I've learnt a lot from being at Fulham and from my other clubs and although I am only 26-years- old I bring a wealth of experience.

Finding the net: John scored 20 goals for Fulham

'It saddens me to see the league position my new club is in, however that boosts me even further to help them move up.
'I'm a box player, I bring power and strength, I give 100 per cent all the time and I just can't wait to get going.'

Barnet are currently bottom of League Two but head coach Mark Robins said: 'Naturally I am delighted that a player of Collins John's ability has signed for the club and he is back in the English game where he made his name.

'He is a strong, powerful centre-forward and that will certainly help the younger players around him and undoubtedly he'll be of great asset to the team.

'The next few weeks now will obviously be important in terms of getting him match fit.'

John will be available to make his debut in League Two once he has been granted international clearance.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2207084/Collins-John-signs-League-Two-Barnet.html#ixzz27H00Y1k5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Wigan 1 Fulham 2: Duff and Rodallega bag the points as Berba shines for Fulham

Hugo Rodallega refused to celebrate his first goal since January despite Fulham rising to the giddy heights of fourth place.

Inspired by Dimitar Berbatov, Fulham gave their hosts a footballing lesson - no mean feat against Roberto Martinez's side, who are easy on the eye.

Winging it: Damien Duff scores Fulham's second

And ex-Wigan striker Rodallega showed a touch of class when he scored the opener after 31 minutes.

The striker nodded home Berbatov's clever cross but resisted the temptation to show any elation at the expense of the club he left in the summer.

Rodallega received applause from the home faithful for his gesture but Wigan fans were less patient with their own team.

Jordi Gomez was booed for shooting instead of passing to well-placed team-mate Shaun Maloney and the crowd even displayed rare disapproval towards Martinez, who delayed until the 76th minute before sending on exciting winger Ryo Miyaichi.

Centre of attention: Referee Lee Probert takes a tumble

Cause for concern: Referee Lee Probert receives treatment

Martinez will point to some bad luck - Gomez hitting the underside of the bar - and misses from Arouna Kone and Mauro Boselli.

But Fulham were worth their win, with Bryan Ruiz holding off three defenders to set up D amien Duff for the second goal after 68 minutes.

Happy return: Hugo Rodallega opens the scoring for Fulham against his old club

Manager Martin Jol said: 'Dimitar gave us the quality, Rodallega the pace. Rodallega was very eager and motivated to play. I thought he would score. He is Wigan's top scorer in the Premier League and he showed respect to the fans by not celebrating and they showed respect to him.'

Berbatov's chipped pass for Rodallega's goal will not be bettered in the upcoming Ryder Cup.

Flying high: Hugo Rodallega climbs above Wigan defenders to open the scoring

Gomez thought he had levelled when he caught Beausejour's cross but it smacked against the crossbar.

Kone then showed both sides of his game when put through by Maloney. He outpaced the Fulham back-line but took a heavy touch that allowed Mark Schwarzer to save.

Boselli then missed an even better chance when keeper Schwarzer parried James McCarthy's shot and he prodded the rebound wide from six yards.

Kone did net a consolation but Martinez said: 'Those two missed chances were as clear as you get.'

Tough tussle: Fulham's Bryan Ruiz holds off Wigan's Shaun Maloney

Up for it: Wigan's Shaun Maloney challenges Fulham's Steve Sidwell

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2207027/Wigan-1-Fulham-2-Duff-Rodallega-bag-points-Berba-shines-Fulham.html#ixzz27H1P2P97

WhiteJC

Hot Rod fires Cottagers
Fulham striker returns to Wigan to haunt former club

Colombian striker Hugo Rodallega scored his first goal for Fulham as the Cottagers beat his old club Wigan 2-1 at the DW Stadium.

The 27-year-old, a free transfer in the summer, rose over former team-mate Gary Caldwell to head home Dimitar Berbatov's cross on 31 minutes.

Jordi Gomez hit the post for the hosts before Damien Duff notched Fulham's second on 68 minutes from Bryan Ruiz's pass.

Arouna Kone pulled one back for the Latics in injury time but Fulham held on to earn their first away win of the season.

It meant that for the second campaign in a row the Cottagers have broken their away duck at the DW Stadium, and the result lifted Fulham into the top four, at least until Sunday.

The main talking point of the early stages was an unfortunate moment for referee Lee Probert, who was the unintended victim of a full-blooded challenge between Steve Sidwell and Ben Watson.

The referee was well and truly floored and there was a lengthy delay while he received treatment, although he did see the funny side, waving a red card in jest.

When play resumed, it did not take long for Fulham to get on top and three times they went close to taking the lead midway through the first half.

Dinked cross

First a dinked cross from Berbatov was headed straight at Ali Al Habsi by Rodallega before Jean Beausejour acrobatically cleared Chris Baird's header from in front of his post.

Berbatov then drew a scrambling save from Al Habsi, and in the 24th minute the Bulgarian went close again with a wobbling shot that the Wigan goalkeeper was grateful to push over the bar.

The home side created their best chance a couple of minutes later, Maynor Figueroa crossing excellently for a diving Emmerson Boyce at the far post but he headed wide.

It was no surprise that Berbatov was the creator of the opening goal, the striker building on his two goals against West Brom last weekend by expertly picking out the head of Rodallega.

The Colombian had been booed by the home fans earlier on but he earned their applause when he declined to celebrate his bullet header right in front of them, and he was given a warm reception when he was substituted late on.

That gave Wigan some much-needed urgency and Jordi Gomez was unlucky not to equalise in the 38th minute when he met Beausejour's cross perfectly but saw his left-footed shot hit the underside of the bar and bounce down just in front of the line.

The hosts began the second half brightly and Boyce's cross was headed just wide by Watson before Kone spurned a glorious chance.

The striker was played clean through but took a slightly heavy touch and could only poke his shot straight at Mark Schwarzer.

Made changes

Both managers made changes, Bryan Ruiz replacing Alex Kacaniklic for Fulham while Mauro Boselli was given his chance by Roberto Martinez in place of Gomez.

Ruiz made an immediate impact, forcing a diving save from Al Habsi with a 20-yard free-kick after Rodallega had been sent tumbling by Gary Caldwell.

Wigan had certainly had their opportunities and in the 65th minute the ball fell for James McCarthy on the edge of the box and he drew a scrambling save from Schwarzer.

Boselli was first to the rebound but the Argentinian, still looking for his first Premier League goal two years after first joining the club, could only guide the ball wide.

The visitors made Wigan pay with their second goal three minutes later, Ruiz holding off the home defence before teeing up the unmarked Duff for a clinical finish into the bottom corner.

Still the Latics plugged away and they would have pulled one back in the 73rd minute but for the fingertips of Schwarzer, who kept out Ivan Ramis' header with the help of the bar.

Martinez made his last throws of the dice, sending on Ryo Miyaichi and Callum McManaman, but it was Fulham who were next to threaten another goal, Berbatov denied by an accomplished save from Al Habsi.

Wigan did find the net eventually, Kone with a fine turn and shot, but, with only two minutes of injury time remaining, it came too late for the hosts.

Man of the match:
Mark Schwarzer. Made a number of good saves in the second period as the Fulham ran out winners.

Goal of the game:
Hugo Rodallega's opener. Dimitar Berbatov crossed from the right for the former Wigan striker to rise over Gary Caldwell and head home.

Shot of the match:
Jordi Gomez hit the woodwork with a left-footed effort in the first period.

Save of the match:
Schwarzer came out quickly to close down and block from Arouna Kone in the second period after the striker had been played in through on goal.

Moment of the match:
Lee Probert was the meat in the sandwich as Ben Watson and Steve Sidwell challenged for the ball in the first half, sending the referee tumbling to the ground and needing treatment on the pitch. Probert saw the funny side of the incident though, brandishing his red card in jest while on the ground!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/261610/report

WhiteJC

Rodallega returns to haunt Latics
Wigan Athletic 1 Fulham 2: Fulham striker sets up season's first away win for Martin Jol's notoriously bad travellers

It took a moment of fantastically funny showmanship to light up what was not the most appealing opening to a Premier League fixture this season.

Steve Sidwell, while attempting to dispossess Ben Watson in midfield, got his tackle tangled with Lee Probert – an unwitting bystander – and upended the referee. Probert performed a roll of Sergio Busquets proportions before receiving treatment and jokingly brandishing a red card to the accidental aggressor.

The comedic interlude to what had been a game played at a rather lethargic pace in the Lancashire sunshine served to brighten the visitors in front of a relatively busy DW Stadium, following a "buy one get one free" offer – though the home fans ended up wishing that Hugo Rodallega had not turned up.

On his return since a summer departure to pastures new, Rodallega's first few touches had been tepidly booed but the jeers lacked real conviction for a striker who had so often conjured brilliance for Roberto Martinez's side. And when he opened the scoring and refused to celebrate, the Wigan supporters chose to applaud his decency. Dimitar Berbatov, drifting wide, was allowed to swing a centre over, and Rodallega met it with a thundering header past the goalkeeper. In doing so, the Colombian became only the second player to score 15 Premier League goals inside this ground – the other being Henri Camara – but it was not the way the Latics would have envisaged him equalling that record when he last found the net here in January.

Martin Jol, said he "knew that Rodallega would be motivated to do something nice and that is exactly what he did", and on the face of it, there seemed to be little Wigan anger at the former player coming back to haunt them, but the natives were restless. The frustration was aimed at their own players. The disapproval forced Wigan to rally, but they missed good chances and Jordi Gomez hit the crossbar.

This fixture has been a stable source of away points for Fulham. They are now unbeaten here in seven, albeit five of those were draws, but the results provide comfort for a team who are notorious strugglers on the road.

"Last year we had four wins and five draws away from home. That is not bad but certainly not good," Jol said. "Five midfielders left the club – a couple of them I wanted to keep. I was so satisfied for Sidwell and [Chris] Baird. They didn't play over the last couple of months because we had a different midfield with [Mahamadou] Diarra and Moussa Dembele."

It still has been a reasonably good start to the season for Martinez, but the absence of Franco Di Santo from the squad shone a light on the threadbare squad in an attacking sense. Mauro Boselli was the only striking option, thrown on with half an hour to play. The Argentine's glaring miss from six yards moments after being introduced summed up their problems when the top scorer is absent.

"Overall, we didn't deserve to lose," Martinez said. "We had the better chances, but you need to score goals. Our performances need to be more solid. Since the international break we have lost a bit of focus."

Martinez is already looking for attacking options to target in January, but his public admiration of Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha has angered the Eagles' chairman Steve Parish, who took to Twitter to lambast the Wigan boss. They continue to monitor the player, and lacked his sort of pace in behind against a stubborn Fulham back four. "Having nicked Victor [Moses] due to administration, then selling for £9 million Roberto would like it ever so much if we would roll over," Parish said. "I guess he'll just try to unsettle our player using the papers."

Damien Duff showed Boselli how it was done, converting Bryan Ruiz's assist on the counter. Kone's turn and spin in the dying minutes almost summoned a late comeback but it could not spoil Fulham's best start to a campaign since 2002.

Wigan (3-4-2-1): Al Habsi; Ramis, Caldwell (Miyaichi, 79), Figueroa; Boyce (McManaman, 79); Watson, McCarthy, Beausejour; Gomez (Boselli, 62), Maloney; Kone.

Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Riether, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise; Duff, Baird, Sidwell, Kacaniklic (Ruiz, 59); Rodallega (Briggs, 88), Berbatov

Referee: Lee Probert

Man of the match: Rodallega (Fulham)

Match rating: 7/10

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/rodallega-returns-to-haunt-latics-8165718.html

WhiteJC

Wigan 1-2 Fulham

Damien Duff added a second goal for Fulham midway through the second half

Hugo Rodallega opened his Fulham goals account against the club he left in the summer to set Martin Jol's side on their way to a first away win of the season in the Premier League.

It is the second campaign in a row the Cottagers have broken their away duck at the DW Stadium, and the result lifted Fulham into the top four, at least until tomorrow.

Rodallega deservedly broke the deadlock in the 31st minute with a goal created by the excellent Dimitar Berbatov, and Damien Duff added a second goal midway through the second half before Arouna Kone scored in injury-time for Wigan.

The main talking point of the early stages was an unfortunate moment for referee Lee Probert, who was the unintended victim of a full-blooded challenge between Steve Sidwell and Ben Watson.

The referee was well and truly floored and there was a lengthy delay while he received treatment, although he did see the funny side, waving a red card in jest.

When play resumed, it did not take long for Fulham to get on top and three times they went close to taking the lead midway through the first half.

First a dinked cross from Berbatov was headed straight at Ali Al Habsi by Rodallega before Jean Beausejour acrobatically cleared Chris Baird's header from in front of his post.

Berbatov then drew a scrambling save from Al Habsi, and in the 24th minute the Bulgarian went close again with a wobbling shot that the Wigan goalkeeper was grateful to push over the bar.

The home side created their best chance a couple of minutes later, Maynor Figueroa crossing for a diving Emmerson Boyce at the far post but he headed wide.

It was no surprise that Berbatov was the creator of the opening goal, the striker building on his two goals against West Brom last weekend by expertly picking out the head of Rodallega.

The Colombian had been booed by the home fans earlier on but he earned their applause when he declined to celebrate his bullet header right in front of them, and he was given a warm reception when he was substituted late on.

That gave Wigan some much-needed urgency and Jordi Gomez was unlucky not to equalise in the 38th minute when he met Beausejour's cross perfectly but saw his left-footed shot hit the underside of the bar and bounce down just in front of the line.

The hosts began the second half brightly and Boyce's cross was headed just wide by Watson before Kone spurned a glorious chance.

The striker was played clean through but took a slightly heavy touch and could only poke his shot straight at Mark Schwarzer.

Both managers made changes, Bryan Ruiz replacing Alex Kacaniklic for Fulham while Mauro Boselli was given his chance by Roberto Martinez in place of Gomez.

Ruiz made an immediate impact, forcing a diving save from Al Habsi with a 20-yard free-kick after Rodallega had been sent tumbling by Gary Caldwell.

Wigan had certainly had their opportunities and in the 65th minute the ball fell for James McCarthy on the edge of the box and he draw a scrambling save from Schwarzer.

Boselli was first to the rebound but the Argentinian, still looking for his first Premier League goal two years after first joining the club, could only guide the ball wide.

The visitors made Wigan pay with their second goal three minutes later, Ruiz doing brilliantly to hold off the home defence and tee up the unmarked Duff for a clinical finish into the bottom corner.

Still the Latics plugged away and they would have pulled one back in the 73rd minute but for the fingertips of Schwarzer, who kept out Ivan Ramis' header with the help of the bar.

Martinez made his last throws of the dice, sending on Ryo Miyaichi and Callum McManaman, but it was Fulham who were next to threaten another goal, Berbatov denied by an accomplished save from Al Habsi.

Wigan did find the net eventually, Kone with a fine turn and shot, but, with only two minutes of injury time remaining, it came too late for the hosts.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english-league/2012/0922/338645-wigan-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Fulham see off Wigan to move fourth with Rodallega and Duff goals

Hugo Rodallega, centre, scores for Fulham against Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Action Images

Hugo Rodallega was praised by both managers as he helped Fulham to a first away win of the season against his former club Wigan, lifting Martin Jol's side into the top four, until Sunday at least.

The Colombian left the Latics in the summer after refusing to sign a contract and scored his first goal for his new club at the DW Stadium.

Rodallega is Wigan's all-time leading goalscorer in the Premier League with 24 and, after a few boos early in the game, he was applauded by the home fans when he chose not to celebrate the bullet header that put Fulham ahead. The striker was then applauded by all sides of the ground when he was substituted late in the game.

His manager, Jol, said: "I knew Rodallega would be very eager and motivated to do something nice, to score his goal and that was exactly what he did, so that was ever so pleasing for us. He showed respect to the people and they showed him respect as well."

Rodallega's goal came in the 31st minute and Damien Duff added a second in the 68th minute before Arouna Koné pulled one back for Wigan in injury time.

Roberto Martínez, the Wigan manager, said of his former player: "Hugo showed real respect to the fans. It could have been easy for him to celebrate the goal, and rightly so.

"It was a nice gesture from him and the fans recognised that.

"Nothing hurts you more than losing a football game and nothing gives you more happiness than winning a football game so showing the respect of controlling the emotions I think was a nice touch."

Rodallega's goal owed much to the talents of Dimitar Berbatov, who again showed what a great signing he looks set to be.

The former Manchester United striker was outstanding and picked out the head of Rodallega with a peach of a cross, while he was denied three times by Ali al-Habsi as he came close to adding to his two goals against West Bromwich Albion last weekend.

Jol said: "I always thought he was a fantastic player, the only thing I see now is he can play in a different position as well. If you go and play against Wigan in an away game you take a big gamble to play with two strikers. I made the gamble to play with Hugo up top and Dimitar, and he was probably the best No10 you can ever imagine."

Fulham certainly merited their lead but Wigan only had themselves to blame for failing to pull level. In the first half Jordi Gómez was desperately unlucky to see his well-struck shot hit the underside of the bar but Koné and the substitute Mauro Boselli both missed glorious openings in the second.

They were made to pay when the Fulham substitute Bryan Ruiz set up Duff for a clinically-taken second, and when Koné did eventually find the net with a crisp turn and shot it was too little, too late.

The result lifted Fulham into the top four while for Wigan it was a third defeat of the season and left them still without a home win.

Martínez was far from happy but felt the result was harsh, saying: "I don't think we deserved to lose. What Fulham did was created a few chances, probably more than we would like. I thought from open play a couple of times we showed a lack of intensity in defence but we had the better chances.

"When Jordi hits the crossbar it seems that it's not going to be your day. Arouna Koné and Mauro Boselli's chances were as open as you're going to get and you need to score goals. We need to improve in certain aspects, we can't concede goals so cheaply because then it becomes very difficult to win games."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/22/wigan-athletic-fulham-premier-league?

WhiteJC

Match report: Wigan 1-2 Fulham

Hugo Rodallega's celebrations were understated as he came back to haunt his old club with a goal.
Photo: PA

Hugo Rodallega opened his Fulham goals account against the club he left in the summer to set Martin Jol's side on their way to a first away win of the season in the Barclays Premier League.

It meant that for the second campaign in a row the Cottagers have broken their away duck at the DW Stadium, and the result lifted Fulham into the top four, at least until tomorrow.

Rodallega deservedly broke the deadlock in the 31st minute with a goal created by the excellent Dimitar Berbatov, and Damien Duff added a second goal midway through the second half before Arouna Kone scored an injury-time consolation for Wigan.

The home side created their best chance a couple of minutes later, Maynor Figueroa crossing for a diving Emmerson Boyce at the far post but he headed wide.

Wigan had certainly had their opportunities and in the 65th minute the ball fell for James McCarthy on the edge of the box and he draw a scrambling save from Schwarzer.

The visitors made Wigan pay with their second goal three minutes later, Ruiz doing brilliantly to hold off the home defence and tee up the unmarked Duff for a clinical finish into the bottom corner.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2012-09-22/match-report-wigan-1-2-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Wigan Athletic 1 Fulham 2: Fulham take three points away from home

Hugo Rodallega of Fulham heads in his goal for his side

It wasn't until a peculiar incident where the referee was tackled that the game really began to get underway.

Steve Sidwell, while attempting to dispossess Ben Watson in midfield, got his tackle tangled with Lee Probert – an unwitting bystander – and upended the referee. Probert performed a roll of Sergio Busquets proportions before receiving treatment and jokingly brandishing a red card to the accidental aggressor.

The comedic interlude to what had been a game played at a rather lethargic pace in the Lancashire sunshine served to brighten the visitors in front of a relatively busy DW Stadium, following a "buy one get one free" offer – though the home fans ended up wishing that Hugo Rodallega had not turned up.

On his return since a summer departure to pastures new, Rodallega's first few touches had been tepidly booed but the jeers lacked real conviction for a striker who had so often conjured brilliance for Roberto Martinez's side. And when he opened the scoring and refused to celebrate, the Wigan supporters chose to applaud his decency. Dimitar Berbatov, drifting wide, was allowed to swing a centre over, and Rodallega met it with a thundering header past the goalkeeper. In doing so, the Colombian became only the second player to score 15 Premier League goals inside this ground – the other being Henri Camara – but it was not the way the Latics would have envisaged him equalling that record when he last found the net here in January.

Martin Jol, said he "knew that Rodallega would be motivated to do something nice and that is exactly what he did", and on the face of it, there seemed to be little Wigan anger at the former player coming back to haunt them, but the natives were restless. The frustration was aimed at their own players. The disapproval forced Wigan to rally, but they missed good chances and Jordi Gomez hit the crossbar.

This fixture has been a stable source of away points for Fulham. They are now unbeaten here in seven, albeit five of those were draws, but the results provide comfort for a team who are notorious strugglers on the road.

"Last year we had four wins and five draws away from home. That is not bad but certainly not good," Jol said. "Five midfielders left the club – a couple of them I wanted to keep. I was so satisfied for Sidwell and [Chris] Baird. They didn't play over the last couple of months because we had a different midfield with [Mahamadou] Diarra and Moussa Dembele."

It still has been a reasonably good start to the season for Martinez, but the absence of Franco Di Santo from the squad shone a light on the threadbare squad in an attacking sense. Mauro Boselli was the only striking option, thrown on with half an hour to play. The Argentine's glaring miss from six yards moments after being introduced summed up their problems when the top scorer is absent.

"Overall, we didn't deserve to lose," Martinez said. "We had the better chances, but you need to score goals. Our performances need to be more solid. Since the international break we have lost a bit of focus."

Martinez is already looking for attacking options to target in January, but his public admiration of Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha has angered the Eagles' chairman Steve Parish, who took to Twitter to lambast the Wigan boss. They continue to monitor the player, and lacked his sort of pace in behind against a stubborn Fulham back four. "Having nicked Victor [Moses] due to administration, then selling for £9 million Roberto would like it ever so much if we would roll over," Parish said. "I guess he'll just try to unsettle our player using the papers."

Damien Duff showed Boselli how it was done, converting Bryan Ruiz's assist on the counter. Kone's turn and spin in the dying minutes almost summoned a late comeback but it could not spoil Fulham's best start to a campaign since 2002.

Wigan (3-4-2-1): Al Habsi; Ramis, Caldwell (Miyaichi, 79), Figueroa; Boyce (McManaman, 79); Watson, McCarthy, Beausejour; Gomez (Boselli, 62), Maloney; Kone.

Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Riether, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise; Duff, Baird, Sidwell, Kacaniklic (Ruiz, 59); Rodallega (Briggs, 88), Berbatov.

Referee: Lee Probert

Man of the match: Rodallega (Fulham)

Match rating: 7/10

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/wigan-athletic-1-fulham-2-fulham-take-three-points-away-from-home-8165731.html

WhiteJC

Jol's Wigan Reaction

Martin Jol was full of praise for his strikers after Fulham came away from the DW Stadium on Saturday afternoon with three points following our 2-1 win over Wigan Athletic.

Dimitar Berbatov claimed a delightful assist for Hugo Rodallega's opener, while substitute Bryan Ruiz did brilliantly to set up Damien Duff for what turned out to be the winner.

"That was a decision I had to make because Bryan Ruiz is our [number] 10," Jol said of his choice to stick with the same team that beat West Bromwich Albion last week.

"Wigan make it difficult for you with five defenders, or two wing-backs, so it was a gamble to play with two central midfield players, plus two strikers.

"But I knew that Rodallega would probably be very eager and motivated to do something nice and to score his goal and that is exactly what he did so that was very pleasing for us."

Hugo's celebration was subdued after notching his first Fulham goal – something that his Manager was not surprised to see.

"He's their top scorer ever in the Premier League and he showed respect to the people of Wigan [by not celebrating]," he explained. "And they showed him respect as well when we took him off."

Berbatov once again showed that there was more to his game than silky touches and scoring goals, as the Bulgarian put in another hard working 90 minute shift in the North West. 

"I always thought that he was a fantastic player," Jol said of his number nine. "The thing is now that I see that he can play in a different position as well because if you go and play against Wigan in an away game you take a big gamble to play two strikers. Most of the time last year we changed our playing culture and went more 4-3-3 [away from home].

"I made a gamble to play with Rodallega – on top of our attack – and Dimitar, who was as good as you could imagine as a number 10, which is a different role."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/22/jolwiganreaction?

WhiteJC

Jol: Berbatov the best 'No. 10' you can imagine
The Dutchman is delighted with the Bulgarian's impact since his arrival from Manchester United and praised the display of Hugo Rodallega after the Cottagers' 2-1 win over Wigan

Fulham manager Martin Jol was effusive in his praise for striker Dimitar Berbatov as the Bulgarian played an instrumental role in the side's 2-1 win at Wigan.

Berbatov has had a major impact since arriving at the club in a cut-price £5 million deal from Manchester United and was at his fluid best at the DW Stadium, providing a magnificent assist for Hugo Rodellega to open the scoring.

And Jol, although admitting it was a gamble to play with two strikers away from home, was delighted with the Bulgarian's display.

Jol told reporters: "I always thought that he was a fantastic player, the only thing I see now is that he can play in different positions as well.

"If you go and play away at Wigan you take a gamble to play with two strikers because most of the time last year we changed our playing style with a 4-3-3.

"I made a gamble to play with Rodallega upfront and Dimitar, and he was probably the best 'No. 10' you can imagine."

The former Tottenham and Ajax manager was also pleased with Rodallega's contribution and his muted celebration having scored against the club that introduced him to the Premier League.

Jol continued: "I knew that Rodallega would probably be very eager and motivated to do something nice, to score his goal and that's exactly what he did.

"Ever so pleasing for us. He's their top scorer ever in the Premier League, and he respected the people and they showed him the respect when we took him off."

Jol was happy to see his side improve on last season's dismal away form with individual performances key to the hard-fought win over Wigan.

"Last year we had four wins away from home and five draws so it was not bad but certainly not good," the Dutchman said.

"It was satisfying that [Chris] Baird and [Steve] Sidwell played so well, I think Berbatov gave us the quality and Rodallega gave us pace."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/09/22/3395700/-?

WhiteJC

Jol pleased for Rodallega
Fulham boss delighted to take three points on the road

Martin Jol was satisfied with Fulham's performance following their win over Wigan and praised Hugo Rodallega after he scored against his former club.

Rodallega broke the deadlock with a header just after the half-hour mark and Damien Duff made it 2-0 with a fine strike in the second half.

Arouna Kone pulled a late goal back for Wigan to set up a frantic finale, and Jol was disappointed that his men allowed it to get so close.

He was nevertheless pleased to pick up three points on the road, telling Sky Sports: "An away result like that is always positive, especially against a Wigan team that has momentum and is playing well.

"We knew it would be a difficult game but, if you saw us play the first 30 minutes, I think we deserved everything.

Motivated

"After that we gave away the initiative and it made it exciting in extra time because they scored, but overall I think the win was deserved."

Jol was pleased to see Rodallega score his first Fulham goal against the Latics, with the Colombian opting not to celebrate in front of his former fans.

"I had a feeling and I knew that Rodallega would be motivated to do something," Jol explained.

"That is exactly what he did and that is nice for him and for us."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8101697?

WhiteJC

Wigan 1-2 Fulham

Towards the end of last season Wigan went on a mind-bending run that saved their bacon. In that run they lost to Fulham, confirming something we've long suspected, that we have our historical league-mates' number.

Usually Clint Dempsey scored the Wigan beating goals, but he's swapped Martin Jol for Andres Villas Boas, a small pond for a medium sized one, and now we need someone else to beat Wigan.

It's not going to be a problem, is it?  Dimitar Berbatov won't score twice every game but few teams will shut him out for 90 minutes. Today he made the first, crucial goal, and from there the game was ours.

Before the goal came Berbatov had a practice effort, wandering around the defence before flipping a nice cross onto the head of the surprisingly aerial Rodallega. This one was saved, but the pair had another go soon afterwards. Berbatov, gentler this time, a delicious cross that you'd expect Peter Crouch to put away, but again Rodallega reminded us that timing and spring are everything in attacking headers, up he went, in it went, and Fulham were rightly ahead.  Rodallega showed respect for his former employers by not celebrating, which was good of him.

At this point Fulham were rampant, mainly down the right flank where Duff was maintaining his good form. There was no obvious source of our superiority, our players just seemed to be sharper than theirs. Wigan did have a good chance when a first-time shot banged against Mark Schwarzer's crossbar, but it would've been an unjust concession: Fulham deserved to be ahead at half-time.

The second half was always going to be trickier but Wigan didn't reach top gear until we'd scored again, Ruiz bumbling around in the D (and therefore drawing defenders to him) before feeding a completely free Duff, who scored convincingly.

Do you remember Duff's Fulham debut?  He came on and within seconds had beaten his man on the touchline and made a goal. He looked thrilled. Here was another Roy Hodgson makeover, a great player down on his luck enjoying his football again. He hasn't really stopped since then and it's been one of the wonders of modern Fulham that we've had a player like this in our team for a decent while now. Duff's been terrific and while we all know he's been terrific, perhaps we don't always appreciate how terrific.

Anyway, that was 2-0. Wigan got one back very late on but Fulham won these three points easily enough. It wasn't like last week when the midfield absolutely dominated, this was more of a team performance where we were a bit better than them everywhere, and had the nous and opportunity to make the most of our quality. Football doesn't always reward good performances, particularly away from home, but this is why you sign Dimitar Berbatov isn't it?  Quality in the penalty box makes the difference.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/09/22/wigan-1-2-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Rodallega praised by managers old and new as Fulham hitman opts not to celebrate header

Hugo Rodallega earned the praise of both managers as he helped Fulham to their first away win of the season against his former club Wigan.

The Colombian left the Latics in the summer after refusing to sign a new contract and scored his first goal for his new club at the DW Stadium in Fulham's 2-1 victory.

Rodallega is Wigan's all-time leading goalscorer in the Barclays Premier League with 24 and, after a few boos early in the game, he was applauded by the home fans when he chose not to celebrate his bullet header.

The striker was then applauded by all sides of the ground when he was substituted late in the game.

Well-earned: Hugo Rodallega is congratulated by boss Martin Jol

Fulham boss Martin Jol said: 'I knew Rodallega would be very eager and motivated to do something nice, to score his goal and that was exactly what he did, so that was ever so pleasing for us. He showed respect to the people and they showed him respect as well.'

Rodallega's goal came in the 31st minute and Damien Duff added a second for the visitors in the 68th minute before Arouna Kone pulled one back in injury time.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez said of his former player: 'Hugo showed real respect to the fans. It could have been easy for him to celebrate the goal, and rightly so. It was a nice gesture from him and the fans recognised that.

'Nothing hurts you more than losing a football game and nothing gives you more happiness than winning a football game so showing the respect of controlling the emotions I think was a nice touch.'

Although Rodallega was the headline maker, his goal owed much to the talents of Dimitar Berbatov, who again showed what a great signing he looks set to be.

Tricky customer: Dimitar Berbatov skips Gary Caldwell

The former Manchester United man was a class above all afternoon and picked out the head of Rodallega with a peach of a cross, while he was denied three times by Ali Al Habsi as he came close to adding to his two goals against West Brom last weekend.

Jol said: 'I always thought he was a fantastic player, the only thing I see now is he can play in a different position as well.

'If you go and play against Wigan in an away game you take a big gamble to play with two strikers. I made the gamble to play with Hugo up top and Dimitar, and he was probably the best number 10 you can ever imagine.'

Fulham certainly merited their lead but Wigan only had themselves to blame for failing to pull level.

In the first half Jordi Gomez was desperately unlucky to see his well-struck shot hit the underside of the bar but Kone and substitute Mauro Boselli both missed glorious openings in the second.

They were made to pay when substitute Bryan Ruiz set up Duff for a clinically-taken second, and when Kone did eventually find the net with a crisp turn and shot it was too little, too late.

The result lifted Fulham into the top four, for 24 hours at least, while for Wigan it was a third defeat of the season and left them still without a home win.

Martinez was far from happy with his side but felt the result was harsh, saying: 'I don't think we deserved to lose.

'What Fulham did was created a few chances, probably more than we would like. I thought from open play a couple of times we showed a lack of intensity in defence but we had the better chances.

Familiar face: Roadallega powers past Ali Al Habsi

'When Jordi hits the crossbar it seems that it's not going to be your day. Arouna Kone and Mauro Boselli's chances were as open as you're going to get and you need to score goals.

'We need to improve in certain aspects, we can't concede goals so cheaply because then it becomes very difficult to win games.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2207165/Hugo-Rodallega-praised-managers-old-new-Fulham-hitman-opts-celebrate-header.html#ixzz27HBUovUZ

WhiteJC

Fulham FC: Why Dimitar Berbatov Is Not Fulham's Greatest-Ever Striker

Martin Jol, otherwise known as the Dutch Jose Mourinho, in terms of his outlandish statements rather than his success, knee sliding technique or ability to look dapper in a flasher mac, has a history of hilarious press conferences.

But the quote which would have made me spit out my cereal—had I been eating any—was that Jol claimed Dimitar Berbatov was "the best player we have ever had here up front".

This would be understandable, until you realize that the 'here' mentioned is Fulham and not Fleetwood Town.

But the love story didn't end after his brace against West Bromwich Albion, as a week later, Jol gushed that Berbatov was "the best No. 10 you can imagine".

A true accolade indeed, and one which I think the Fulham manager needs to reconsider, as I have five players here who deserve that title a lot more than the sulky Bulgarian.

Louis Saha
Before Louis Saha became president of the 'Keep Sports Physiotherapists In Work' campaign, the Frenchman actually used to score lots of goals.

Saha joined Fulham in 2000 and scored 63 goals for the club, including 27 in his first year, which helped take them into the Premier League. Yes, he may be on par with Berbatov in terms of talent, but nobody will know how good Saha could have become if his career hadn't been marred by injury.

Clint Dempsey
Okay, so the recently departed Clint Dempsey didn't wear the No. 10 shirt, nor did he play in the typical No. 10 position, but the American scored 23 in all competitions last season, as well as 35 percent of Fulham's Premier League goals, which makes him a top striker in my books.

Berbatov is definitely a more natural goal scorer, but is he better than cult hero Clint Dempsey? No chance. Well, not yet.

Brian McBride
Fellow countryman Brian McBride was knocked off the top of the standings for the most Premier League goals scored by an American at the end of the 2011-12 season, but McBride is still one of Fulham's greatest ever strikers.

A fan favorite, McBride scored 40 goals in all competitions, and he even has a bar named after him in Craven Cottage—called McBride's, if you hadn't already guessed.

Gordon Davies
I'll admit, the person to the left of this page is actually Martin Jol, but he has just realized the huge mistake he made regarding his outlandish Berbatov shout.

Gordon Davies had two spells at Fulham; between 1978-84, and then a five-year return in 1986. A record goalscorer with a deadly strike, Davies scored 159 in 394 appearances. Berbatov may have two in two, but I doubt he will better Davies' record.

Johnny Haynes
Martin Jol must walk into Craven Cottage blindfolded if he missed the statue which is situated outside—and I'm not talking about that ghastly Michael Jackson one.

Johnny Haynes is Fulham's all time greatest player. Once an England captain, Haynes could pass, control and shoot the ball like no other of his era, and although classed as an "inside forward"—which could be a bone of contention for the fastidious among you—I am not letting Berbatov take any accolade away from Mr Haynes.

Johnny Haynes. Fulham's greatest ever striker. No contest.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1343873-fulham-fc-why-dimitar-berbatov-is-not-fulhams-greatest-ever-striker?

WhiteJC

THE VIEW FROM SOUTH TEXAS — WIGAN ATHLETIC V. FULHAM FC

by HatterDon

An Almost Comfortable Away Trip

Yes, I know. Fulham are not good on the road. Yes, Fulham suffer against mediocre teams. Yes, yes, yes. The truth is, of course, that Fulham have been very capable of taking points at the DW Stadium in England's northwest. And, except for stoppage time, looked comfortably the better team on display today.

Roberto Martinez is one of my most favorite managers. With very little in the way of a budget, he doesn't go the grizzled-veteran-route-one route. Instead, his teams play good football, quality football, that can frighten any side – witness the seven matches won of their last nine last season. And his side looked bright today at times. Luckily, for Fulham, their good passing never included the "last pass."

There was plenty of pleasing football from both sides early on. Most of the action in both directions was down Fulham's right wing for the first half hour or so. Duff and Riether engineered much of Fulham's early pressure. And there was plenty of early pressure. Fulham were playing like a side that had dismantled a very good WBA last weekend – NOT like a side hoping for a 0-0. And Fulham looked like scoring almost from the off.

The thought struck me early on that if I was watching 22 strangers out there, it would have taken me all of 90 seconds to have realized that the number 9 in black was head and shoulders above them all. Wigan had their hands full with Uncle Bulgaria, and after several missed opportunities, a gentle chip from just side of the area from Berbatov found Rodallega's forehead, and the Colombian netted for the first time in Fulham colors. After a few confused minutes during which it looked as if Fulham would add to their total, Wigan began playing the best football of the match for  the last 15 minutes. They put Fulham under sustained pressure on more than one occasion and, eventually hit the post.

The first half ended 0-1 and the points looked to be up for grabs. This was a bit disconcerting, though, since Berbatov could easily have had 3 assists AND a goal during the first 45. Would Fulham rue those missed chances?

If anyone NOT in South Texas thought that Fulham would come out playing negatively and protecting the one-goal lead, they'd be mightily disappointed. After soaking up considerable pressure by Wigan – most of it thwarted by their own profligacy – Fulham garnered their second goal. In a complete reversal of roles, the Whites [was there any white in that kit?] were attacking relentlessly, relegating Athletic to quick counterattacks.

As soon as Fulham brought on Ruiz to replace the disappointing Kacaniklic, things got interesting. The Costa Rican nearly scored from a free kick and, in the 68th minute, held off three defenders to lay the ball into the path of Damian Duff. 0-2 and game over, one would have thought. It certainly looked that way until just before injury time when Martinez brought on Ryo Miyaichi and Callum McManaman [why is that name so hauntingly familiar?]. Their energy and guile put Fulham back on the defensive for the last thirteen minutes plus.

After some brilliant work by a suddenly fully employed Mark Schwarzer, Wigan pulled back a goal they really deserved. Kone – for my money Wigan's best player all match – ended a goalmouth scramble by sidefooting past Tha Big Aussie. 1-2 and that's the way it stayed.

Who caught the eye today? Rodallega looked exceptional for most of the match although it'll take me a long time to get over his sideways pass to absolutely nobody on the edge of Wigan's penalty area. Riether did well and so did Baird. Hangeland was also a rock, although not quite as good as the international announcers believed. He credited clearances from Baird and Sidwell to the Norwegian Giant evidently believing that anyone in black who had short hair was our number 5.

Who disappointed? Special K did. Twice set up brilliantly by Berbatov, he never looked like even getting a decent shot off. We improve mightily when he was replaced by Ruiz. Hughes played his worst game this season, twice putting the defense under terrible pressure in the first half. Luckily, Wigan's passing let them down on both occasions and it did no harm.

So, by my math that makes it 9 points from 5 played and a goal difference of +5. A quick check of the table tells me we're in 4th, ahead of Man United thanks to the alphabet. Well, that's not likely to last, but it's a wonderful sight and – as long as Berbatov remains healthy – we're going to scare the crap out of some very good defenses. Wigan? I think they may have enough talent in the squad to survive one more time. They certainly have enough talent in the person of their manager.

Hatter Don's Man of the Match? This was close. Damian Duff gets it hotly pursued by Dimitar Berbatov and Mark Schwarzer.

Man City is at the Cottage next weekend, and on this form we need fear nobody. COYW

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=187