News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Refs HAVE to start giving penalties even when players stay on their feet.

Started by Scrumpy, September 23, 2012, 11:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

It does my head in!

Aguero today was through on goal and was clearly fouled by an Arsenal defender in the box. He did really well to keep his feet and try to get the shot away. Once he had missed the chance, the referee should have awarded a penalty. The commentators said that 'if he had gone to ground there, he would have got the penalty'. Just what is encouraging players not to dive? If Aguero had been less honest, he would have been rewarded. If referees (all of us) want to stamp out diving, then they need to start awarding penalties when a player is fouled, but he manages to keep his feet.

It really frustrates me, because this is such a simple little change that referees could bring in, and it would have an immediate impact. Players would realise that if they always tried to stay on their feet, a referee would spot that they were being fouled and award a penalty without the need to dive.  :dft007:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Count Berbatov

Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

jazz hardrockin

Commentators are not accountable for what they say or know about the game. The rules are, if you are fouled but is an advantage to you if you come in possession of the ball after the fact ,referee rules in your favour.If you fluff your chance is your problem not the referee's problem. Aguero seem to me very much like he smash his car in the wall and than he was asking to buy a car insurance...lol
No animal is being hurt in the making of this posting.

craig10

Agreed...

Also I would like to see penalties given for nasty tackles by desperate defenders instantly after a shot is taken

Hope That makes sense

Count Berbatov

In an open play the ref gives certain amount of time to. Not sure 3-5 sec or so, to see if the team lost its advantage. Then give or not the foul
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

HatterDon

Remember our stonking of Spurs in the FA Cup a couple of years ago. When Dawson hacked Dembele in the penalty area, the ref waited until Dembele's shot -- yes he stayed on his feet -- went astray before he blew up for the penalty. I've NEVER seen a ref play advantage and then call a penalty before, or since for that matter.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Apprentice to the Maestro

The referee can give a penalty even if the player stays on his feet or doesn't gain an advantage.

I thought, with the benefit of multiple television angles and repeats, that it was a penalty. Unfortunately for Aguero it just seemed to be one of those occasions when the defender was between the attacker and the referee and the referee could not be certain that it was a foul.

I am not sure the referee would have given it if the forward had gone to ground as the commentator suggested. He might even have booked Aguero for diving.

I found it frustrating though that the divers, such as Invanovic, were not all booked. There ought to be post match reviews and yellow cards to reduce the significant levels of diving.

westcliff white

It's a double edged sword, if u stay up and don't get it people moan if u go over u dive, it is hard for refs. If they gave a pen to someone who stayed up and it wasn't they would be lambasted by everyone just as they are now for being conned by divers. Hard call for them.

Uefa introduced that rule re reds / yellows for diving, remember Eduardo at arsenal against Celtic, got given a one match ban (he dived in my opinion). Arsenal appealed and said you can't prove that unless you know the players mind, they won that case ban overturned. Every club would follow suit after games if that's the case, but I generals agree with you.
Every day is a Fulham day

Holders

Totally agree. There has to be an incentive to try to play football rather than take obvious dives even when a shot was on. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

fulhamben

they
Quote from: westcliff white on September 24, 2012, 06:27:40 AM
It's a double edged sword, if u stay up and don't get it people moan if u go over u dive, it is hard for refs. If they gave a pen to someone who stayed up and it wasn't they would be lambasted by everyone just as they are now for being conned by divers. Hard call for them.

Uefa introduced that rule re reds / yellows for diving, remember Eduardo at arsenal against Celtic, got given a one match ban (he dived in my opinion). Arsenal appealed and said you can't prove that unless you know the players mind, they won that case ban overturned. Every club would follow suit after games if that's the case, but I generals agree with you.
should make it like cricket.the player that goes down should have to verbally appeal for the penalty. that way it can be proved at a later date if there was contact or if it was a dive. ive seen players slip and get booked for diving so this way a player slipping and not appealing will neither get a pen or a card
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.