https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (24/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 24, 2012, 04:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Rodallega's return fires Fulham to fine win
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 23, 2012

It was almost as if a shy and modest Hugo Rodallega didn't realise what he'd done. With one flick of his dashing dreadlocks, the Colombian forward scored his first goal in eight months on his return to Wigan Athletic and set his new employers on course for a rare – and important – away win. Rodallega refused to celebrate his goal on the pitch after his four fruitful years with the Latics and was similarly unmoved when hundreds of delirious Fulham fans sernaded their new signing, to the strains of the Proclaimers, upon his low-key arrival at Wigan North Western station. Happy to pose for pictures and sign autographs both on the platform and the train, the 27 year-old has quickly become a cult hero.

There was some doubt about he would make Martin Jol's starting line-up on his return to Lancashire, with Bryan Ruiz and Mladen Petric both available after injury, but the Fulham boss was convinced that 'Rodallega would do something nice'. Jol's conviction was proved right just after the half hour when the lone striker leapt to power Dimitar Berbatov's floated cross past Ali Al-Habsi. It was a goal Fulham badly needed as for all the excellent interplay between the new lone striker and Berbatov, described as 'the perfect number ten' by his manager afterwards, the most memorable moment of the preceeding thirty minutes came when referee Lee Probert was floored by the combined force of a fierce 50-50 between Ben Watson and Steve Sidwell and self-effacingly showed himself a red card.

Roberto Martinez, who hoped his side could recover from their harsh hammering at Old Trafford last weekend in front of their own fans, felt his side were 'naive' and was disappointed that the game was far too open. Wigan certainly started in the best possible fashion, with Mark Schwarzer called into action to field an early sighter from Aroune Kone. Had the Ivorian striker been slightly more clinical before lashing home an injury-time consolation, the afternoon might have taken an entirely different course. The August arrival from Sevilla should have levelled the contest when released by a cute James McCarthy pass but Schwarzer swept from his line and smothered the danger. Wigan also hit the woodwork just before the break through Jordi Gomez's rising drive and Emmerson Boyce's reaction suggested he felt he should have headed a Maynor Figueroa past the Fulham goalkeeper rather than wide of the far post.

Although the hosts dominated possession, Fulham fashioned plenty of chances of their own. Far more fluid and ambitious in forward areas then under either Roy Hodgsaon and Mark Hughes, the movement of Berbatov, Duff and Kacaniklic caused plenty of problems for the Latics back three. Al-Habsi made a fine sprawling save from Berbatov's low drive and Kacaniklic fizzed a shot over the crossbar from the left angle of the box, while Jean Beausejour did brilliantly to hook Chris Baird's effort clear from underneath his own crossbar.

Wigan went in search of an equaliser after the break and only the offside flag denied them a leveller when Gomez was adjudged to have been caught as Fulham stepped up before he cut the ball back for McCarthy inside the six-yard box. The Latics only had themselves to blame just before the hour when Gomez somehow stabbed wide after Schwarzer had parried a speculative Mauro Boselli strike – and the Spaniard's glaring miss was to prove costly as Jol's side broke quickly to seal the contest.

The crucial second owed much to the persistence of Ruiz, who jinked his way to the edge of the box after receiving an inviting inside ball from Rodallega, and refused to allow Gary Caldwell to rob him of possession. The Costa Rican's strength forced the ball out to the onrushing Damien Duff, who fired his third goal of a fine season across Al-Habsi and celebrated with the delirious travelling support. Martinez threw up on Callum McManaman and Arsenal loanee  Ryo Miyaichi for the final thirteen minutes and both had an immediate impact. The Japanese winger's deep cross could have floated inside the far post were it not for Schwarzer's sharp reflexes and McManaman, showing the confidence that flows from a series of strong performances for Wigan's U21 side, made the Wigan goal when his half-volley bounced around into the Fulham box and was converted by Kone.

There followed two and a half minutes of concerted Wigan pressure – with Al-Habsi even venturing forward at the death for a corner – but Fulham hung on for three precious points that lifted Jol's side into the top four of the early Premier League table. It's certainly some turnaround from the Dutchman's start at Craven Cottage, when his side failed to win any of his first six league fixtures, and this result was even more impressive given that it was achieved without the power of Mahmadou Diarra in midfield.

WIGAN ATHLETIC (3-4-2-1): Al-Habsi; Caldwell (Miyaichi 77), Boyce (McManaman 77), Ramis; Watson, McCarthy, Figueroa, Gomez (Boselli 62); Maloney, Beausejour; Kone. Subs (not used): Pollitt, Crusat, Jones, McArthur.

GOAL: Kone (90).

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Schwarzer; Riether, J.A. Riise, Hughes, Hangeland; Baird, Sidwell; Duff, Kacaniklic (Ruiz 59), Berbatov; Rodallega (Briggs 88). Subs (not used): Stockdale, Kelly, Karagounis, Kasami, Petric.

BOOKED: Sidwell, Hughes, Baird.

GOALS: Rodallega (31), Duff (68).

REFEREE: Lee Probert (Wiltshire).

ATTENDANCE: 19,284.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/09/rodallega-return-fires-fulham-to-fine-win/?

WhiteJC

Great To Be Back

Bryan Ruiz made a triumphant return to the Fulham side on Saturday afternoon when he replaced Alexander Kačaniklić in the 59th minute at the DW Stadium.

The Costa Rican took less than 10 minutes to help his Team score their second of the afternoon when he held off an army of Wigan Athletic defenders to play in Damien Duff, and he admitted to fulhamfc.com that he is delighted to be available for selection once again.

"It feels great to be back," Bryan said. "It was just a small injury but it took me three weeks to come back so it was difficult because I knew it wasn't a really bad injury but I had to take my time.

"It was great that I could help with the assist. It was really tough when I came in as the game was really intensive at that moment so it was difficult but the team did great. I just tried my best and it was great that I could assist and that we got the three points.

"After Wigan scored, and it was 2-1 with two minutes to go, it was difficult because they were pushing up but we did a great job during the whole game so we deserved to win at the end."

Hugo Rodallega put in another workmanlike display against his former club and Bryan was happy to see his team mate notch his first goal for the Whites.

"I think Hugo is doing a great job for the Team," he said. "He's a great person and also a great player who gives 100 per cent all the time and I think his goal was a result of the work he has done."

Fulham ended the day fourth in the Barclays Premier League table and Ruiz is keen to take the momentum from our recent form into Saturday's clash with current Champions Manchester City at the Cottage.

"It's good to go into the game against City having won two games in a row," Bryan explained. "There is a lot to play for next Saturday against a big team but we'll play our football and I think we can take the confidence from our performance against Wigan into that match."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/23/great-to-be-back?

WhiteJC

Former Fulham Striker Collins John Relaunching Career at Barnet as Agent Insists He Could Have Earned More Elsewhere

Former Fulham striker Collins John has signed a deal with English fourth tier side Barnet as he bids to relaunch a career which has so far disappointed given his potential.

Emerging through the FC Twente youth academy, John was tipped for big things and it was little surprise when a bigger club, in the shape of Fulham, swooped in to sign him at the tender age of 18.

John managed four senior appearances for the Holland national team in 2004, the year he moved to Fulham, and hopes were high that the striker, born in Liberia, could develop into a world-class hitman.

But John's career disappointed and he was loaned to Leicester City, Watford and NEC, before eventually signing a permanent deal with Belgian outfit Roeselare.

From there it was on to MLS side Chicago Fire in 2010 and then a club in Azerbaijan in the form of Gabala FC, before ending up in Iran with Mes Sarcheshmeh. Finally John represented Northern Cypriot side Genclik Gucu earlier this year.

Now he will try to get his career back on track in England and his agent Joris Coppes explained that the striker could have earned more elsewhere if he had so wished.

"Collins was offered the opportunity to play for Ujpest Dosza and the A-League side Wellington Phoenix. These clubs offered him more money, but he wants to really get fit and get back to playing football.

"The manager of Barnet has great confidence in him and Collins has qualities so we believe he will have a good time."

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2012/09/23/former-fulham-striker-collins-john-relaunching-career-at-barnet-as-agent-insists-striker-could-have-earned-more-elsewhere/69560/?#KOVbfx9Sl9awKuYz.99

WhiteJC

Fired-up Fulham flying

Aaron Hughes was pleased to see Fulham get the away win monkey off its back early in the season at Wigan.

The Cottagers have earned a reputation for being strong at home and poor on the road, and their first three away trips this season brought defeats at Manchester United, Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham.

But they picked up three points on Sunday morning (AEST) at one of their most successful away grounds, the DW Stadium, with Hugo Rodallega and Damien Duff scoring in a 2-1 victory.

Defender Hughes said: "It's something that a lot people remind us of quite a bit that our away form is not great but I think if you look at it closely, we've had a lot of draws away from home, so we maybe haven't won as many as we should but I certainly don't think we've lost any more compared to any other team.

"To come here five games in and get an away win is good for us and we're pleased with it. Our home form had always been good and we want to keep that."

It is the second season in a row Fulham has broken its away duck in Wigan, with Martin Jol's team winning 2-0 last October, while it had not lost on the ground since 2005.

The result brought the Cottagers their third victory of the season after home wins over Norwich and West Brom and lifted them up into the top four prior to the Sunday games.

Hughes said: "It's pretty early so I don't think anyone's going to get too carried away but it's a good way to start the season, nine points after five games is not a bad return. We'd have taken that and it gives us something to build on in the coming months."

Rodallega was the star turn with a goal against the club he left in the summer but the creator was Dimitar Berbatov, who again showed what a valuable signing he looks set to be.

The Bulgarian was a peripheral figure at Manchester United last season but is very much at the centre of things at Craven Cottage.

Hughes said: "He showed some lovely touches, including the cross, and he held the ball up well. It's not just the goals he brings, it's everything else around the box and in his general play. He's a very important player for us."

Fulham's start is even more impressive given the players they lost in the summer, including star names Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele to Tottenham right at the end of the transfer window.

Jol is happy with the way Berbatov and Rodallega have bedded in but knows there is more work to do if Fulham are to maintain its good start with tougher fixtures ahead.

The manager said: "Last season we had four wins away from home and five draws, and that is not bad but it's certainly not good.

"And, of course, with our problems, it could have been a big problem because five midfielders left the club, a couple of whom I wanted to keep.

"I think Dimitar Berbatov gave us the quality and Rodallega gave us the pace so we will try to get the team into shape in the next couple of weeks."

Wigan had chances but did not find the net until Arouna Kone's close-range effort in injury time, leaving boss Roberto Martinez frustrated and demanding better.

He said: "We have to defend better and we have to make it harder for the opposition. We started quite poorly on the ball, our possession was a little bit pedestrian, it was easy to defend. Fulham got a goal and that helped the way they wanted to play.

"From then on they showed their experience, how well organised they are. In the second half I thought we reacted really well and we adjusted well and we took control of the game but still Fulham looked too dangerous."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1121579/Fired-up-Fulham-flying?

WhiteJC

Bulgaria's Berbatov Heaped with Praise after Second Fulham Game

Fulham manager Martin Jol and the British media were full of praise for striker Dimitar Berbatov as the Bulgarian played an instrumental role in the side's 2-1 win at Wigan.

Dimitar Berbatov claimed a delightful assist for Hugo Rodallega's opener, while substitute Bryan Ruiz did brilliantly to set up Damien Duff for what turned out to be the winner.

"That was a decision I had to make because Bryan Ruiz is our [number] 10," Jol said of his choice to stick with the same team that beat West Bromwich Albion last week.

"Wigan make it difficult for you with five defenders, or two wing-backs, so it was a gamble to play with two central midfield players, plus two strikers.

But I knew that Rodallega would probably be very eager and motivated to do something nice and to score his goal and that is exactly what he did so that was very pleasing for us."

Hugo's celebration was subdued after notching his first Fulham goal – something that his Manager was not surprised to see.

"He's their top scorer ever in the Premier League and he showed respect to the people of Wigan [by not celebrating]," he explained. "And they showed him respect as well when we took him off."

Berbatov once again showed that there was more to his game than silky touches and scoring goals, as the Bulgarian put in another hard working 90 minute shift in the North West.

"I always thought that he was a fantastic player," Jol said of his number nine. "The thing is now that I see that he can play in a different position as well because if you go and play against Wigan in an away game you take a big gamble to play two strikers. Most of the time last year we changed our playing culture and went more 4-3-3 [away from home].

"I made a gamble to play with Rodallega – on top of our attack – and Dimitar, who was as good as you could imagine as a number 10, which is a different role."

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=143486

WhiteJC

Talented Group

Under-18 Manager Steve Wigley has praised his side following their impressive 3-2 defeat of Manchester City on Saturday.

The Under-18s made it four wins from four as they continued their fine start to the season having already beaten Wolverhampton Wanderers, Crystal Palace and Middlesbrough. As it stands Wigley's charges top the Barclays Under-18 Premier League Group Three table.

"It's not really about where we stand in the league right now," said Wigley. "What is most pleasing is how the boys have been playing – they have been doing the majority of things right. It's been an excellent start, and their efforts have been rewarded.

"They certainly deserved it on Saturday, and although City got themselves back into the game, it would have been an injustice if they left Motspur Park with a share of the points. We played really well in the first half with Cauley Woodrow and Lyle Della Verde putting us two up.

"Really, we should have added to that, we should have killed the game. But credit to City they came back and put us under pressure. Muamer Tankovic restored the two-goal lead, but City pushed us back again to make it a nervy final few minutes.

"City have some very talented players as you would expect, they are a match for any team. But we have a very talented group here at Fulham too, and although I've only been working with the boys for a short while, I've been really impressed with not just their ability but their mentality too."

This Saturday, Fulham host Liverpool before taking on SW6 rivals Chelsea.

"If you put City alongside Liverpool and Chelsea, we are talking about three of the best academies in the country," added Wigley. "So it's a tough period for us. But it's a good test for the boys and having started well, it's up to them to keep it going."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/23/talented-group?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss: Berbatov and Rodallega crucial to improving away form

Fulham manager Martin Jol is looking for an improvement to the Whites' away form after taking all three points from Wigan.

The west Londoners lost 10 of their 19 games away from Craven Cottage last term and have struggled in recent years to pick up any away wins.

"Last season we had four wins away from home and five draws, and that is not bad but it's certainly not good," Jol said.

"And, of course, with our problems, it could have been a big problem because five midfielders left the club, a couple of whom I wanted to keep.

"I think Dimitar Berbatov gave us the quality and Rodallega gave us the pace so we will try to get the team into shape in the next couple of weeks."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_berbatov_and_rodallega_crucial_to_improving_away_form_1_1526421?

WhiteJC

Berbatov gives Fulham the cutting edge – Wigan Athletic 1 Fulham 2

Wigan once again showed their early season frailty against a Dimitar Berbatov inspired Fulham on Saturday. The home team failed to capitalise on some golden goalscoring opportunities while making silly mistakes in defence.

Berbatov was a major contributor to Wigan's downfall, as the Bulgarian striker was a constant source of inspiration and creativity for the Cottagers.

Roberto Martinez was forced into making several changes to his expected starting line up with injuries to Franco Di Santo, Antolin Alcaraz and James McArthur which meant starts for Jordi Gomez, Ben Watson and Jean Beausejour. Fulham started with Berbatov and former Wigan striker Hugo Rodallega upfront in a positive move by manager Martin Jol.

The match got off to a slow start and the most entertaining moment came when referee Lee Probert was accidentally tackled by Fulham's Steve Sidwell and then clattered by Wigan's Ben Watson, much to the amusement of the crowd.

Latics had the perfect chance to take the lead when Maynor Figueroa played a diagonal cross from the left to Emmerson Boyce at the back post but, the wing back headed into the side netting.

As the half wore on it was Fulham's two new strikers Rodallega and Berbatov who were posing a threat to Wigan's back line and it was these two who combined for the opening goal.

Berbatov chipped the ball into the six yard box and Rodallega rose high above Gary Caldwell to head home. It was a simple goal but excellently executed by the pair. The Colombian did not celebrate too extravagantly showing due respect to his former club.

Jordi Gomez did come close to equalising with the half time break approaching when he got on the end of a cross by Beausejour but his powerful effort crashed against the underside of the cross-bar and the ball bounced away to safety.

The match was finely balanced at half time with Wigan having more possession but Fulham holding a slender lead.

Early in the second half Arouna Kone had a glorious chance to draw the sides level. A slide rule pass by Shaun Maloney put Kone through on goal but the normally clinical Ivorian fired straight at Mark Schwarzer.

James McCarthy had another great opportunity when with only Schwarzer to beat he shot from the edge of the box, the Australian keeper parried the ball into the path of substitute Mauro Boselli but the Argentinean somehow contrived to put the ball wide.

Wigan paid the penalty for the missed opportunities when five minutes later sloppy defending allowed substitute Bryan Ruiz to play in Damien Duff and the Irishman finished clinically from ten years out.

Wigan were totally dominating possession and pressing forward to get a foothold in the game but Fulham inevitably defended in-depth with even Rodallega dropping back to act as an extra defender.

Roberto Martinez brought on forwards Ryo Miyachi and Callum McManaman for Caldwell and Boyce in a desperate attempt to get back into the game, but despite several good attacking runs by McManaman and Miyachi it was only in the 88th minute that Wigan managed to pull a goal back from Kone. The striker took the ball down on his chest and hit a low volley through a crowd of players which beat the despairing dive of Schwarzer.

Wigan had huffed and puffed all afternoon they had dominated possession 64% to Fulham's 36% and had 19 goal attempts to Fulham's 13. They had created some great opportunities but failed to finish, whereas Fulham had been more clinical in front of goal.

In Dimitar Berbatov Fulham had the most outstanding talent on the pitch, his deft touches, creative passing and eye for the goal made life very difficult for Wigan. His signing from Manchester United could be one of the bargains of the season. He will score many goals for Fulham this season but he will also contribute by creating numerous opportunities for his colleagues.

http://lets-hang-on.com/2012/09/23/berbatov-gives-fulham-the-cutting-edge-wigan-athletic-1-fulham-2/?

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Martin Jol may turn to Nigel Reo-Coker to reinforce midfield despite defeat of Wigan Athletic
Martin Jol is considering the recruitment of Nigel Reo-Coker, as the Fulham manager attempts to reinforce his midfield.

Fulham had already lost Moussa Dembélé, Clint Dempsey, Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu since the end of last season before Mahamadou Diarra suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury at the start of this month.

After signing Greece international captain Giorgos Karagounis two weeks ago, Jol could make more offers to free agents who can still move outside the transfer window.

Reo-Coker was hoping to secure a move abroad in the summer after choosing not to extend his deal with Bolton Wanderers but interest from Sevilla and Hamburg did not amount to a firm offer. Although he has since been training with Charlton Athletic, their manager, Chris Powell, insists he will not be joining the Championship side.

Other options for Jol might include Owen Hargreaves and Thomas Hizlsperger, who are both out of employment, having been released by Manchester City and VfL Wolfsburg respectively.

In Saturday's 2-1 win over Wigan Athletic, Jol went with the only two fully fit midfielders available to him in Steve Sidwell and Chris Baird. Jol said he was "very proud" of their efforts in a victory secured by goals from Hugo Rodallega and Damien Duff. Yet he appreciates the need for greater depth. Rodallega, who departed from the DW Stadium in May after his relationship with Wigan manager Roberto Martínez deteriorated, chose not to revel in his first-half opener – the first for his new club – converted from a cross by the imperious Dimitar Berbatov.

"I did not celebrate my goal because I have too much respect for Wigan and their fans," Rodallega said. "My life here over the last three years was unbelievable. I've got such good memories of things like scoring the winner at Stoke on the last day [when Wigan secured Premier League safety in 2011]. I'm hoping this goal will start a new chapter for me."

Wigan have now failed to defeat Fulham in 12 matches. Arouna Kone's injury-time strike was too late for a reprieve. Martínez was right to say his side deserved a point but he was still disappointed with his team's performances since the international break. "Maybe we will have to start using players that are a little bit fresh that haven't been away," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/9561338/Fulham-manager-Martin-Jol-may-turn-to-Nigel-Reo-Coker-to-reinforce-midfield-despite-defeat-of-Wigan-Athletic.html

WhiteJC

Fulham star: I have too much respect for Wigan fans to celebrate

Fulham star Hugo Rodallega has admitted that he didn't celebrate because he still respects the Wigan fans.

The Whites forward opened the scoring in the first half as the west Londoners triumphed by two goals to one.

"I didn't celebrate because I have too much respect for the Wigan fans. The three years I had here were unbelievable.

"It's very special. I said hello to the players and Roberto Martinez in the changing room before the game and I'm very happy to be back here."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_i_have_too_much_respect_for_wigan_fans_to_celebrate_1_1526609?

WhiteJC

Hughes relieved as Fulham get away show on the road

Aaron Hughes was pleased to see Fulham bury the notion that his side are poor away from home early on in the season.

Fulham have earned a reputation for being strong at home and weak on the road and their first three away trips this season brought defeats at Manchester United, Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham.

Hughes remembers a 16-month stretch between away wins ending in December 2010 but he said after their 2-1 win at Wigan on Saturday: "It's something a lot people remind us of, that our away form is not great, but if you look at it closely, we've had a lot of draws away, so we maybe haven't won as many as we should but I certainly don't think we've lost any more compared to any other team. To come here five games in and get an away win is good for us. Our home form had always been good and we want to keep that."

Hugo Rodallega was the star turn with a goal against the club he left in the summer but the creator was Dimitar Berbatov, who again showed what a valuable signing he looks set to be. Damien Duff scored Fulham's second, while Wigan had chances but did not find the net until Arouna Koné's close-range effort in injury time.

Match facts

Wigan: AL-HABSI 6/10; RAMIS 5 CALDWELL 5 FIGUEROA 6; BOYCE 6; McCARTHY 6; WATSON 7; BEAUSEJOUR 7; GOMEZ 6; MALONEY 6; KONE 7

Fulham: SCHWARZER 6; RIISE 6; HANGELAND 7; HUGHES 7; RIETHER 6; KACANIKLIC 6; BAIRD 7; SIDWELL 7; DUFF 7; RODALLEGA 8; BERBATOV 8

Goals: Wigan Kone 90+1. Fulham Rodallega 31, Duff 68. Subs: Wigan Boselli 6 (Gómez, 62), Miyaichi (Caldwell, 77), McManaman (Boyce, 77). Fulham Ruiz 6 (Kacaniklic, 59), Briggs (Rodallega, 89). Booked: Fulham Hughes, Sidwell, Baird. Man of the match Rodallega. Match rating 7/10. Possession: Wigan 64%. Fulham 36%. Attempts on target: Wigan 5. Fulham 7. Referee L Probert (Wiltshire). Attendance 19,284.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/hughes-relieved-as-fulham-get-away-show-on-the-road-8166659.html

WhiteJC

Jol looks to add to Fulham midfield and weighs up move for Reo-Coker

Fulham boss Martin Jol is considering another move into the free agent market with the signing of former Bolton midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker.

Jol is keen to reinforce his midfield after the loss of Mousa Dembele, Clint Dempsey, Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu since the end of last season and then losing Mahamadou Diarra to a suspected cruciate knee ligament injury at the start of this month.

Free agent: Fulham are considering a move for out of contract Nigel Reo-Coker

After signing Greece international captain Giorgos Karagounis two weeks ago, Jol could make more offers to free agents who can still move outside the transfer window.

Reo-Coker was hoping to secure a move abroad in the summer after choosing not to extend his deal with Bolton but interest from Sevilla and Hamburg did not amount to a firm offer. Although he has since been training with Charlton Athletic, their manager, Chris Powell, insists he will not be joining the Championship side.

Other options for Jol might include Owen Hargreaves and Thomas Hizlsperger, who are both out of employment, having been released by Manchester City and VfL Wolfsburg respectively.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2207706/Fulham-consider-free-agent-Nigel-Reo-Coker.html#ixzz27OeWDY8v
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Chop's Monday Mumble

These things are always going to be trickier to write when all I've got to go on is 8 minutes of Match of the Day highlights but it would be remiss of me to abandon this project a mere two weeks in. Actually 8 minutes is pretty good coverage for Wigan v Fulham. Mike Whalley is no longer tracking who ends up last on Match of the Day but I'm fairly sure in the five years he did this fixture was the one that appeared most regularly.

There were enough glimpses to suggest the positives from our performance against West Brom had been maintained. Berbatov looked guileful, Duff continued to rampage down the right and the Baird/Sidwell combo looked strong in the middle (to the point of taking down the referee). The standout player for me? Mark Schwarzer. Three top class saves (with his shin when faced one on one with Arouna Kone, at close range from McCarthy then quickly up to put off the follow up and a fingertip touch onto the crossbar from  a late header) that kept us in the game and gave us that all important first away win.

We all know how poor our away form has been since joining the Premier League but it's not really that much worse than 60% of the league. That said, last years' tally of four wins was our best since 2005 when  Chris Coleman was getting the best out of the team that Jean Tigana built. In his pre-match conference, Jol discussed hoping to pick up four or five wins on the road this season, which suggests he realises the need to improve and will be more prepared to give it a go on our travels.

This is our best start to a season since 2002 and, despite none of the "big" clubs playing, it was rather nice to see us in the top four places come the end of Saturday fixtures. David Moyes made the very sensible point in his post match interview that you can't really judge a team until they've played 10 games. Mark Lawrenson concured and then promptly wrote off Swansea & Reading's chances this season. Our next five games see us face Man City, Aston Villa & Everton at the Cottage, whilst travelling to Southampton & Reading. If we could pick up another 8 or 9 points from that set of fixtures I think we could all be very pleased with our start indeed.

So, in summary, a good away win (that should prevent the pundits from banging on about our form until at least December), a first goal for Rodallega (that should boost his confidence) and a fine goalkeeping display (that should confirm why he's our number one).

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/chops-monday-mumble/?

WhiteJC

Full Marks

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer was delighted to leave the DW Stadium with maximum points on Saturday to make it three wins from five in the Barclays Premier League.

"It was a really good away performance from us," the 101-cap Aussie said. "We started the game very well and were a little bit disappointed that we weren't a couple more goals up at half-time. We started a bit sluggish in the second half but we worked really hard and then scored the second goal."

Although the away side dominated for large spells of the match, Wigan Athletic were a threat at times and Mark was much more than a spectator during the game, making a number of crucial saves.

"You just do your job," he said, deflecting praise away from his own stellar performance. "You know going away from home that you're going to be under pressure and I just get on with it and play my game and as a team we got the result which is the main thing."

Three of Martin Jol's summer signings started the game, along with Academy graduate Alexander Kačaniklić, and Schwarzer admitted his pleasure at the ease with which everyone has settled.

"When you've got new players added to the squad, it's always important to have that core of a team that have the experience and know what it's like to play for Fulham Football Club," he said. "I think the players that have come into the Club have done extremely well.

"Dimitar Berbatov is an excellent player, everyone knows what a great player he is and he's been excellent for us since the day he arrived. He's a top pro who is happy to help out the young boys and I think he's a massive plus for us and we've seen that in the games he's played."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/24/full-marks?

WhiteJC

Clean Sheet For Etheridge

Neil Etheridge kept a clean sheet on his Bristol Rovers debut as the Pirates drew 0-0 at home to Fleetwood Town on Saturday.

Goalkeeper Etheridge, on loan with Rovers from Fulham for a month, will be hoping to keep his starting spot when the League Two strugglers head to third-place Exeter City this Saturday (3pm).

In the Blue Square Bet Premier, Marcus Bettinelli helped Dartford to a 2-2 draw at Wrexham.

Seventh-placed Dartford and Bettinelli, who extended his loan spell with the Kent side for a further month last week, are away to Braintree Town on Tuesday night (7.45pm).

In the same division, Kidderminster Harriers and Richard Peniket's wait for a first win of the season went on after a 1-1 draw at Alfreton Town.

Harriers remain bottom of the table, although Peniket is still to finish on the losing side during his loan spell with the Midlands outfit, with all five of the games he has featured in ending in draws. Kidderminster are away to Cambridge United on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

Finally, Corey Gameiro was a 65th-minute substitute as FC Eindhoven drew 1-1 at SBV Excelsior on Friday.

Eindhoven are away to JVC Cuijk on Tuesday evening (8pm Dutch time).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/24/clean-sheet-for-etheridge?

WhiteJC

U21s Host City

Fulham Under-21s are in action on Monday afternoon (2pm) when they host Manchester City in a behind-closed-doors encounter at Motspur Park.

Kit Symons' side secured their first point of the new campaign last Monday after a 0-0 draw at home to Middlesbrough.

Marcello Trotta, Alex Smith and Pajtim Kasami all went close against Boro, but Symons' men couldn't make the breakthrough.

Visitors City began the season with a 0-0 stalemate at Chelsea, before a 4-0 win over Middlesbrough was followed by a 2-2 draw at Liverpool.

A match report from the clash with City will follow after the final whistle.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/24/u21s-host-city?

WhiteJC

Dimitar Berbatov keen to waste no more time in his strong start at Fulham

The deadline day signing has reinvigorated his stuttering career and been a huge influence in Fulham's wins against West Brom and Wigan.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise, but when Dimitar Berbatov calmly and brilliantly stroked the ball into the net for his first goal against West Brom, English football fans seemed to collectively remember just what an excellent player he is.

Despite often being out of favour at Old Trafford, the Bulgarian still managed to score 48 goals in 108 league games, including sharing the league's Golden Boot in 2010-11. Even last season, when he played only twelve league games, Berbatov managed seven goals.

Berbatov could well be even more successful at Fulham, where the team will be set up to best utilise his considerable talents, rather than at Manchester United, where he was deemed to be a negative influence on the teams rapid style.

Berbatov completed his brace against West Brom with a penalty, before turning provider in setting up the opener as Fulham collected their first away points of the season in the 2-1 win at Wigan.

It is away from home where Berbatov may have the most noticeable effect on Fulham's fortunes. Last year the Cottagers frequently struggled on their away days, losing ten times and managing a mere four wins.

One of their major problems on the road was a lack of goals, scoring only 12 goals away, a quarter of which came in the 3-0 at Bolton, compared to their 36 at home.

Berbatov's ability to hold up the ball and bring others into the play will be vital to Martin Jol's attempts to improve that record. He also brings an air of the impossible to proceedings, he can conjure up a goal or an assist from nowhere, even in games where Fulham may be well on the back foot.

Now in his seventh season in the Premiership, defenders know all about Berbatov's ability, and more importantly, know how they may well be unable to do anything about it on occasion. His presence in the Fulham line up will give opposition manager's a unique challenge, and should create more space for his team mates to thrive in.

Berbatov is still only 31, the two year deal that Fulham have signed him on looks like excellent business. His languorous style is likely to be unaffected by age for some time yet and you could see him extending his time at Craven Cottage beyond those two years.

Surplus to requirements at Manchester United after the arrival of Robin van Persie, this truly looks like a move that benefits all parties, not least the neutral football fan, as there are few better players to watch around.

http://hereisthecity.com/2012/09/23/nh-dimitar-berbatov-keen-to-waste-no-more-time-in-his-strong-sta/?

WhiteJC

Hugo Rodallega helps Fulham find their feet at familiar setting of Wigan
• Hughes pleased with Fulham's nine points from five games
• Dimitar Berbatov singled out for special praise

Dimitar Berbatov showed against Wigan what a valuable signing he looks set to be for Fulham.
Photograph: Michael Mayhew/Sportsphoto Ltd/Allstar

Fulham have earned a reputation for being strong at home and poor on the road and their first three away trips this season brought defeats at Manchester United, Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham. But they picked up three points at one of their more accommodating venues, the DW Stadium, on Saturday and the defender Aaron Hughes was delighted the team recorded a first away win so early in the season.

"It's something that a lot people remind us of quite a bit, that our away form is not great," Hughes said. "But I think if you look at it closely we've had a lot of draws away from home, so we maybe haven't won as many as we should but I certainly don't think we've lost any more compared to any other team.

"To come here five games in and get an away win is good for us and we're pleased with it. Our home form had always been good and we want to keep that."

It is the second season in a row Fulham have broken their away duck at Wigan, with Martin Jol's team winning 2-0 last October, and they have not lost at the ground since 2005.

The result was their third win of the season and it lifted them into sixth place. "It's pretty early so I don't think anyone's going to get too carried away but it's a good way to start the season – nine points after five games is not a bad return," Hughes added. "It gives us something to build on in the coming months."

Damien Duff got the decisive goal but Hugo Rodallega was the star turn with the opener against the club he left in the summer although its creator was Dimitar Berbatov, who again showed what a valuable signing he is.

The Bulgarian was a peripheral figure at Manchester United last season but is very much at the centre of things at Craven Cottage.

Hughes said: "He showed some lovely touches, including the cross, and he held the ball up well. It's not just the goals he brings, it's everything else around the box and in his general play. He's a very important player for us."

Fulham's start is even more impressive given the players they lost in the summer, among them big names like Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembélé to Tottenham right at the end of the transfer window.

Jol is happy with the way Berbatov and Rodallega have bedded in, moreover, but knows there is more work to do if Fulham are to maintain their good start.

"Last season we had four wins away from home and five draws, and that is not bad, but it's certainly not good," the manager said.

"And, of course, it could have been a big problem because five midfielders left the club, a couple of whom I wanted to keep.

"Dimitar Berbatov gave us the quality and Rodallega gave us the pace so we will try to get the team into shape in the next couple of weeks." Wigan had chances but did not find the net until Arouna Kone's close-range effort in injury time.

Man of the match Hugo Rodallega (Fulham)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/23/wigan-fulham-premier-league?

WhiteJC

Tickets On General Sale

Our next home fixture is against Manchester City on Saturday 29th September. Tickets have already sold out but there are a limited number of hospitality packages still available to buy.

If a hospitality package isn't for you, why not get your tickets for one of our other upcoming games at Craven Cottage:

Fulham v Aston Villa - Saturday 20th October (3pm)

The Whites face Paul Lambert's Villa side and will be looking to maintain our 100 per cent home start to the season at the Cottage. Tickets are now on General Sale from £30 for adults and £10 for juniors.

You can also make great savings thanks to our Group Ticket and Family Package ticket promotions. Find out more and buy today.

Fulham v Everton - Saturday 3rd November (3pm)

The Toffees travel to SW6 this November and tickets are expected to sell fast. You can buy yours today from £35 for adults and £15 for juniors. Find out more.

You can also save up to £40 by purchasing a Family Package for this game.

Fulham v Sunderland - Sunday 18th November (4pm)

Martin O'Neill's Black Cats visit the Cottage in a repeat of the Whites' final home game last season. Tickets start from only £30 for adults and £10 for juniors.

Our loyal Season Ticket Holders can buy two additional tickets for just £5 each in the Putney End.

Fulham Members can also save £5 on tickets in the Putney End. Find out more and buy your tickets online today.

Special offers and promotions end 10 days before the relevant fixture. All tickets are subject to availability, terms and conditions apply.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/24/tickets-on-general-sale?

WhiteJC

Dimitar Berbatov to Fulham: 3 Reasons Man United Will Miss the Bulgarian Striker

Dimitar Berbatov is making his presence known in Fulham.
Clive Rose/Getty Images

Fulham snagged striker Dimitar Berbatov from Manchester United on August 31. The dynamic goal scorer is already endearing himself to the Fulham faithful, and showing Man U that they will miss him greatly.

Berbatov chose to go to the Cottagers over numerous offers from other teams. It's a match the 31-year-old is happy to enjoy.

"I'm very happy to be signing for Fulham and to come and play in the Premier League," he told the Fulham website (via BBC.com).

The Bulgarian goal scorer netted 48 goals in his nearly five-year career at Man U. He joins Fulham as a decorated goal scorer and will be a welcomed asset to the Cottagers attack.

Moving out of a very physical league like the Bundesliga and into the Premier League was a great move for Berbatov. His success garnered a $45 million contract from Man U during the transfer window in 2008. He lived up to every penny.

Now, Berbatov and the Red Devils have parted ways. Apart, these two may both reach even greater levels of success in the coming seasons. Man U is one of the most storied clubs in all of football, but they are going to miss Berbatov for these three reasons.

Playmaking

No one can doubt the sheer skill of Dimitar Berbatov. The Bulgarian is the first non-Englishman to score five goals in a single match. He did so in Man U's 7-1 win over Blackburn in November 2010.

The 31-year old is one of the better scorers in the game and he will be able to showcase that talent on a greater level in Fulham. After joining the English ranks in 2006 with Tottenham Hotspur, Berbatov has scored 75 goals.

He has the ability to create beautiful scoring plays in an instant. Berbatov won the Premier League's Golden Boot in 2011, a solid award to display his abilities.

After a rough ending to his time with the Red Devils, Berbatov has a chance to regain his form and get back to the playmaker that he has been in the past. The cerebral striker has a new home and will look to put his talents on display in his improved role with the new club.

A Calculated Attack

Fulham may have picked up one of the most heady attackers in the game today, and just in time. Currently sitting with nine points in the Premier League standings, Fulham now have four goal scorers with at least two goals, more than any other team in the league.

Three points in three matches is a great start for the Bulgarian striker.
Clive Rose/Getty Images
Berbatov adds a calming, but swift, element to the Cottagers attack. The Bulgarian provided a nifty dish to Hugo Rodellega to open the scoring in a 2-1 Fulham win over Wigan on September 22.

With three points in three matches, it appears the Cottagers are a good fit for Berbatov's offensive abilities. Great touch, great vision, great composure and great production have provided a spark to the Fulham squad.

In two starts, Fulham are 2-0 and are outscoring opponents 5-1 in the last two matches.

Goal Scoring, and Lots of It

Berbatov is arguably one of the most talented strikers in the game. It's tough to argue with 77 EPL goals in his career, including two in his first start for the Cottagers on September 15.

The Bulgarian is one of the top scorers in the game. He proved that to West Bromwich Albion nearly two weeks ago. He scored both goals in his first half in a new uniform and seemed to be consistently involved in all of the Cottagers' best play. Berbatov scored in the 32nd minute and on a penalty kick late in the first half.

There is little reason to believe his production will slow. Forbes.com writer Bobby McMahon called the Berbatov-Fulham relationship a "perfect match."

He may be right, though his reasoning probably didn't sit well with Cottagers fans. Averaging a point per match, Berbatov seems to love his new home. That relationship should only continue to grow stronger as chemistry and production grows.

While Fulham may not be contenders for the EPL, the addition of the talented striker has brought a new energy to the pitch. He has made the Cottagers a stronger, more dynamic and more technical attacking force. That improvement should help Fulham for the next few seasons.

One thing is for sure, he is proving to all those back at Man U that they are going to miss his production. They probably should have given him a bigger role in the offense over the last few weeks.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1345311-dimitar-berbatov-to-fulham-3-reasons-man-united-will-miss-bulgarian-striker?