watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Two blasts from the past/We're obsessed with them

Started by The King, September 26, 2012, 09:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggers

Personally I don't think a businessman worth over £1b can credibly tell a manager 'you're not getting ANY money'.

More likely in my opinion is that Hughes and his cronies presented a list of transfer targets to the board, the board said 'no thanks, how about these instead?' and Sparky walked and left his now infamous parting shot. The board didn't panic about this and let it happen as they knew Big Martin Jol was waiting in the wings to take over.
"I never comment on referees and I'm not about to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson

http://alrightbeav.wordpress.com/

@shutuposhea

Chesh

Quote from: FLETCHINO on September 26, 2012, 10:00:50 PM
Well done reading and the POG for getting the winner!! Hughes out!!!
Would much rather he is left to take them down
:005:
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

TonyGilroy

No way that we can know what happened but to me Hughes never looked comfortable as Fulham manager - he gave the impression that we were beneath him.

I reckon that after a good year he felt he would receive an offer from a "better" club. One that deserved him.

In the event that was a misjudgement.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 27, 2012, 09:50:00 AM

No way that we can know what happened but to me Hughes never looked comfortable as Fulham manager - he gave the impression that we were beneath him.

I reckon that after a good year he felt he would receive an offer from a "better" club. One that deserved him.

In the event that was a misjudgement.

This is my take.

There is probably truth that Hughes was also unhappy about the budget he was given, but I really dont think that MAF was trying to force him out - the angry letter after his departure and subsequent word with Randy Lerner at Villa that he was not a good egg seem to back this up. Also, MAF and others at FFC have said that all was agreed and the contracts on the way to the lawyers before Hughes walked at the last minute. You can't help but feel the influence of Joorabchian on this whole episode.

Another thing to remember was that he had to be persuaded over 2 days to become the QPR manager and promised significant money to spend before accepting them. He himself made a big thing upon hiring about how they met his ambitions and promised him the world to get him. Again, he obviously thinks he is better than QPR but at least there he has managed to get an open chequebook to try to establish his aims.

Unfortunately for him, he doesn't seem to be a squad builder when he can throw around the cash. And you know he will be looking to move after the first sign of success.

Joe McDonald

Really want Hughes to stay at QPR.  If he could somehow manage to take that expensively asembled squad down... poetic justice!

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Rupert on September 27, 2012, 12:24:02 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on September 26, 2012, 11:23:46 PM
Quote from: The King on September 26, 2012, 09:36:48 PM
Nicky Shorey scored a free kick to level it up for Reading vs QPR, and now Pogrebnyak scored to make it 3-2 for Reading. Pavel just missed a penalty though.

QuoteMichael Marshall on Twitter: "Mark Hughes? Blackburn - poor, City - poor, and now QPR - poor. Every owner has given him investment but he's always under delivered."

Quote from the BBC live report. How come he doesn't mention Fulham? Are Fulham that good that even with a poor (he says) manager like Hughes they'll still do well?

Because it didn't fit his construct. Why mention Hughes at Fulham in that series since the only season he was in charge we finished with the second highest finish in our history.

Hmm, just a thought here, feel free to shoot me down in flames if you wish, but is there some sort of link between Hughes being allowed to choose who he signs, money no object (City and the Ha-Has, not sure about Blackburn) and doing poorer than expected, and being told who to sign by us yet making a decent job of it? Might that be his "lack of ambition" problem? He fancied some over-rated signings, our CEO said no chance, have these lads instead.
You hit the nail on the head here.

He inherited a good team playing a good system which he changed along with pushing Ray as far away from the first team as he could get him as Mo would not allow him to get rid. He signed Halliche and was told to sign Dembele who he ummed and arred about until Birmingham were about to sign him. He got us into the relegation zone by christmas, Murphy had a chat with him which found us reverting to playing the way we used to(even before BZ returned) and lo and behold shot up the league. The moral  of the story don't let him sign players or try and impose his posse of assistants and coaches on the squad.

jazz hardrockin

Quote from: Rupert on September 27, 2012, 08:27:14 AM
Quote from: jazz hardrockin on September 27, 2012, 03:30:14 AM
Hughes...just look at his record....lol...who cares

Well, as a few of us are discussing this topic, clearly some of us do, if that's okay with you? Feel free to ignore the topic if it makes you laugh out loud all the time, which must get a little wearying, I would have thought.

Hatter, I do not dispute that you have presented a very viable scenario there, and I certainly don't think that Fulham FC is above any such double-dealing, but if it was as you say, then I am more than a little surprised at the lack of comment from Hughes or his entourage. This did more or less blow the sympathy he had built up after being shafted by Man City, and he has found subsequent "ambitious" employment hard to find, hence his current situation.

By the by, I had a quick perusal of one of the Ha-Ha boards last night, some of them are claiming that he didn't do well with us, saying that our high position finish was only a few points away from lower mid-table, and with the squad he had he ought to have done better. Not my opinion, I was happy enough with the post-Christmas recovery, but food for thought?

So his record is not up for discusion than?...lol...off topic i reckon  :dft001:
No animal is being hurt in the making of this posting.

Rupert

Quote from: jazz hardrockin on September 27, 2012, 02:53:01 PM
So his record is not up for discusion than?...lol...off topic i reckon  :dft001:

Have you actually bothered reading the thread, or were you just trying out what I assume is supposed to be some sort of put-down?

My response was an answer to your "who cares" comment, but the third paragraph does touch upon his record. So carry on lolling away, my friend, if it makes you happy, and the rest of us will carry on discussing whatever we please.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

jazz hardrockin

How about his record for a change...In debt please!
No animal is being hurt in the making of this posting.