watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Should Fulham do the same?

Started by MasterHaynes, September 28, 2012, 11:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterHaynes

Newcastle have just signed pardew up for another 8 years shouldn't we be making the same approach to Jol or at the very least another 5 years to get some stability and confidence in our long term future?

PokerMatt

Eight years is a nonsense deal from Newcastle imo. It's claimed it will "get them a big payoff" when a bigger club wants him. No, in reality it will put off other clubs and will cost Ashley shed loads when he inevitably wants to get rid/gets bored.

How many managers last 8 years anyway? Wenger, Ferguson, Dario Gradi. Moyes?

I think 3-4 year deals are ideal for all parties. Gives the manager time to build something and gives both sides a chance to back out further down the line if it's not working out - it's important for a club to have that as much as the manager.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Boggers

I certainly think Jol has done enough to earn a long term contract - but something like the 8 year one Newcastle have handed Pardew seems excessive, if things start to awry it will cost them big bucks if they want to get rid of him.

That being said, I'd be delighted if the board offered Jol a 3/4 year contract  098.gif
"I never comment on referees and I'm not about to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson

http://alrightbeav.wordpress.com/

@shutuposhea

shnlwswlkr

Not at all! 8 years is madness! Football can change over night, let alone across a few seasons! What happens if it all goes tits up? They're going to have to pay him off a ridiculous amount! 4/5 seasons at the most and then look into it every 2/3 seasons and assess your situation then! An 8 year contract is a joke!
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

cottage cheese

i would be very worried if by xmas we havnt seen jol and brede sign new deals. Brede for me has been the keystone along with mark that have pulled this club along at times in terms of peformances and attitude. He will be very very hard to replace for the price we got him at.

Jol, I will admit was not my first choice and the start we had under him did put me off him more. I will put my hands up and say he has turned it around and I fully 100% back the man and he deserves a new contract. We have played the most exciting football under him in years and I think we are the perfect fit him and vice versa.

Riverside

Certainly Jol should have a new longer contract - agreed that it would give some semblance of stability .. But 8 years is toooooo long. 3/4 would be ideal .

HatterDon

Newky owner is just trying to get his name in the press. a long-term contract means nothing in football management. Our owner gets his name in the press enough and doesn't seem to need it so much. Remember, everytime their owner makes a statement, his sporting goods company gets a mention.

I doubt if either the owner or the manager is there five years from now, never mind 8.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jazz hardrockin

No animal is being hurt in the making of this posting.

filham

I would like to see a list of Newcastle's previous managers that shows how long they were at the club. I bet not many of them lasted 4 years.

What on earth makes them think someone is now going to stay for eight?

Logicalman

Here you go (thanks Wiki)

ManagerYears
Andy Cunningham      5.41
Tom Mather4.25
Stan Seymour18.76
George Martin3.59
Doug Livingstone       1.08
Charlie Mitten3.34
Norman Smith0.67
Joe Harvey13.01
Gordon Lee1.64