watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (13/04/10)

Started by WhiteJC, April 13, 2010, 07:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/4/12/1416886/analysis-of-my-5-keys-to-survival
Analysis of "My 5 Keys to Survival for Fulham Against Liverpool"

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the result yesterday for Fulham. The Cottagers played a 0 - 0 tie at Anfield against Liverpool. Fulham in my opinion deserved the result they received. They played an excellent defensive game. Fulham did not have much possession. Liverpool controlled the game and possession. However, they could not penetrate into the final third and score a goal. I always look back at my "keys" prior to the match to see what kind of effect they had on the match.Β  Below is "Analysis of my 5 keys to survival for Fulham against Liverpool."Β  Β 

1. Will Hogdson rest many players for this match?Β  To my surprise Roy Hogdson did not rest many players. Bobby Zamora actually played a good amount of the match before being replaced by Stefano Okaka. Zoltan Gera and Simon Davies did not play. When I saw the starting lineup I was encouraged that Fulham were putting out a strong side. I think this key was a positive for the match.Β 

2. I am hoping that Stefano Okaka plays the entire match for Fulham.Β  Stefano Okaka only came in the second half to replace Bobby Zamora. Even though I wanted Zamora to play yesterday, I thought that Okaka needs to play more. He actually set up the only really good chance Fulham had late in the match. He sent a nice pass to Damien Duff. His strike was saved by the goalkeeper. This key I don't think was a major factor in the match.Β  Β 

3. Danny Murphy needs to control the midfield.Β  This key is funny because in some ways Murphy couldn't have gotten the job done. Liverpool had most of the possession. However, Liverpool didn't score so what kind of impact did this key really have?Β  I think Murphy did all he could do, but there is no question Liverpool controlled the midfield. This key didn't help Fulham, but they still got the tie.

4. Fulham need to contain Fernando Torres. Β  Since Torres did not play obviously it made the defensive job easier. Fulham were able to contain N'Gog and Gerrard. They were dangerous, but they could not score. Torres not playing was an impact on the match.

5. Mark Schwarzer needs to be exceptional again.Β  Schwarzer was exceptional in this match. He did have much help, but he was at the top of his game. This key to me was the difference in the match.

In concluding Mark Schwarzer and the back four were the difference in the match. They completely did their job. I am very happy with this result.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=195062
Fulham - Hodgson on Dour Draw!
Following what some would say dour result at Anfield, a result that effectively ends Liverpool`s chances of qualifying for the Champions League, (Sir) Roy Hodgson, in his post match interview, spoke about the display of resolute defending and also the difficulty in playing Liverpool when he remarked,

"There is no doubt Liverpool dominated the game and we were forced on the back foot but at the same time we stood our corner very well and fought hard."

"We stopped them getting clear-cut chances and it was really when we just lost Daniel Agger for a corner at the end that I was concerned the ball was going to go in the back of the net."

"On the occasions when they got good strikes in Mark Schwarzer was equal to it. It is another excellent clean sheet."

"I have got to be very satisfied with what the team has done because Liverpool are a very difficult team to take points off home and away."

I think I`m in agreement with the casual observer here, the observer who hopes our paths don`t meet in the Europa League Final, especially if it were to turn out as flat as this fixture did!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=195062#ixzz0kxYuj179

WhiteJC

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/john-nicholson-leans-toward-voting-zamora-in-2010.html
John Nicholson leans toward voting Zamora in 2010.
By: timmyg | April 12th, 2010

Consider him a swing vote?

Football365's John Nicholson can't really reconcile it in his mind, but finds himself probably voting yes.

Is he really international quality? The much-maligned Europa League has given him a chance to show he can play against top-notch sides such as Shaktar, Juve and Wolfsburg, all sides featuring international players and not just do well, but actually boss the game. His performance against Juve, especially in the first half, was hugely impressive. You don't play like that unless you have talent.

Nicholson also points out the impact of Zamora's goals:

The important thing to realise about Zamora this season is that he has been a game-changing goal scorer. His 19 haven't been notched up by scoring the fourth and fifth in 5-0 thrashings. He's not boosted his total with goals in games that are already won, which is something that could easily be levelled at Defoe. His goals, especially in Europe, have been axiomatic to Fulham's success. That is a very good sign because it shows him able to perform under pressure and not just able to lash one in when the game is already won.

I've been on record here and elsewhere in voicing my disinterest of National teams, particularly ones that aren't my native USA. But this is different; and no, not because he's a Fulham player and I'm being a homer. It just makes sense.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/ReservesvVilla.aspx
Aston Villa Res. 2-1 Fulham Res.

The Reserves suffered their first Barclays Premier Reserve League defeat since September as Aston Villa claimed the league title for the third year running, with a two-one victory at their Bodymoor Heath Training Ground.

The Whites took the lead through a first-half Michael Uwezu strike, but two goals in as many minutes from the home side proved to be enough to secure all three points and the silverware.Β  Β 

John Pantsil continued his return to full fitness, making his second start for the Development Squad following his recovery from a knee injury.

The Whites had to be on top of their defensive duties almost immediately after kick-off as the home side created a couple of dangerous attacking situations in the opening minutes, with Marc Albrighton and Andreas Weimann in particular looking a threat.

Fulham did a fine job of soaking up the pressure and they took the lead on the 13 minute mark with an incisive piece of counter-attacking play. Keanu Marsh-Brown raced clear down the right flank before cutting the ball back into the path of Michael Uwezu who finished well past Andy Marshall.

But the Whites were rocked by a two-goal salvo just after the half-hour mark. The home side drew level on 30 minutes after a deflected effort from Barry Bannan flew past Neil Etheridge. Villa then took the lead shortly after the restart when Ciaran Clark rose highest in the Fulham penalty area to head into the net.

To Fulham's credit, Villa's goals did little to change the pattern of play as the Whites maintained their shape and looked to get themselves back into the game.Β  Β 

The Whites made a fine start to the second-half and almost got back on level terms when Matthew Briggs forced Villa keeper Marshall into action. The Fulham defender did well to direct a firm header from Chris Buchtmann's corner on target but he was denied by a spectacular save.

Billy McKinley looked to add some fresh legs to Fulham's attacking line when he replaced Stefan Payne with Italian Under-19 international, Marcello Trotta.Β  Villa then came close to extending their lead when Bannan struck the woodwork with a free-kick from 20 yards.Β  Β 

After a promising start to the second period, the pace of the game slowed somewhat before picking up again in the closing minutes. Trotta almost capitalised on a good opportunity before Villa struck the post for the second time through Collins.

Unfortunately the Whites were unable to force the equaliser and will now turn their attentions towards preparations for this Thursday's encounter against Portsmouth at Motspur Park (kick-off 7pm).

Fulham: Etheridge; Smith, Briggs, Pantsil, Toure; Andranik (Harris 90), Marsh-Brown, Milsom, Buchtmann; Payne (Trotta 52), Uwezu

Subs not used: Bettinelli, Pierre, Marquez-Sanchez

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/ReservesvVilla.aspx#ixzz0kxZhVsH4

WhiteJC

http://www.epltalk.com/roy-hodgson-has-nothing-to-apologize-for/17781?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29
Roy Hodgson Has Nothing to Apologize For

The powers that be in the Premier League tend to get all uptight when a club manager suggests that he's going to rest his starters for whatever reason. This is somehow an affront to the integrity of the competition and unfair to the other clubs fighting to avoid relegation or to get into Europe. Plus, lots of people bet on these games, so resting players at any given time might raise as many red flags as Urawa Red Diamonds supporters.

That said, managers are not the least bit beholden to gamblers, and no manager should be punished for doing what's ultimately best for his club. If a manager decides to rest players in order to get them healthy for a particular fixture, then he should be free to make that decision.

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson is the latest to jump into this teapot tempest when he all but announced that winning the Europa League would take priority over Fulham's remaining Premier League fixtures.

And why not? There's nothing left on offer for Fulham in the league. They've confirmed their Premier League status for next season, and they're too far behind other clubs to win another spot in Europe through the league. There's only one way Fulham plays in the Europa League next year, and that's by winning the Europa League this year.

What's more, Fulham have already played 55 matches this season, more than any club in the Premier League, including the Big Four. If they reach the Europa League final, that number will jump to 63. That's a lot of fixtures for a club that's not very deep. That they've managed any sort of run at all in the Europa League β€” let alone one that saw them knock out Shahktar Donetsk, Juventus and Wolfsburg β€” is remarkable. So why not chase the trophy still on offer? Get Bobby Zamora and Clint Dempsey fully fit, get a win and a draw against Hamburg, and whatever happens in the final on May 12 happens.

Plus, it's not like Fulham have completely closed up shop in the league. The Cottagers held Liverpool to a scoreless draw at Anfield yesterday, a result that left Liverpool 6 points adrift of 4th place. Clearly, Hodgson's defenders haven't gotten the memo that they're supposed to take it easy.

Regardless, many will argue that Hodgson should still try to keep his first team on the pitch, because it would be unfair to Burnley and Hull City if Fulham fielded reserve sides against Wolverhampton and West Ham. This is a rubbish argument. Burnley and Hull had 33 rounds to do what they needed to do to avoid the drop. If they haven't settled matters by now, it's their own fault for being in this position.

This same argument against resting starters took place last December, when Mick McCarthy put the Wolverhampton reserves on the pitch for a midweek fixture at Old Trafford. McCarthy was fined Β£25,000 by the Premier League for that decision, which completely ignored the fact that it was the right decision. Wolves took six points from the two matches surrounding that midweek tie, and those six points are currently the distance between Wolves and the drop zone. What's more, those three points might not save Manchester United's title hopes after all.

That the Premier League even decided to fine McCarthy set a horrible precedent. Now Hodgson might end up facing a similar fine if he decides to field any reserves in advance of that semifinal tie against Hamburg. Let's hope the league has the good sense not to charge him Β£25,000 for this. After all, the league didn't fine Rafa Benitez Β£25,000 when he put the Liverpool reserves on the pitch three years ago. Dempsey scored a game-winner against those reserves to keep Fulham in the top flight.

A club like Fulham might never be able to chase European glory again. Hodgson should be allowed to do whatever is necessary to help Fulham win that trophy, and if that means throwing the reserves out the reserves against Wolves and Everton, so be it. The other 19 clubs had an entire season to earn their points. If they haven't done it yet, it's they're own fault.

WhiteJC

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premiership/englands-must-have-striker-oh-pur-leaze
England's Must Have Striker? Oh, Pur-leaze.

So one year ago Bobby Zamora was getting ridiculed and now it seems that he HAS to be in the England squad for this summer's World Cup. Reality check please. Just because he's had a decent season for Fulham it doesn't mean he's now ready to perform on the biggest stage of them all.

This season he has scored more goals than in previous seasons, but, has anyone considered that it has taken him until the age of 29 to have this sort of campaign? In all honesty he's not an England player and never will be. I can understand the view that there are some strikers in that squad *cough*, Emile Heskey, who makes some fans wonder as to how they're still in it but the excuse that Zamora should be there in front of certain people doesn't quite work. Then again, the thing with this is that if Zamora was chosen for the squad he would probably play as a replacement for Heskey or Peter Crouch, as a sub, and Heskey doesn't really score many goals does he? So how Zamora can be expected to do so having had no international experience is beyond me.

Presumably the current plan is Wayne Rooney, Crouch, Heskey and Jermain Defoe and you would think that all four will be chosen. Now, a fifth striker would change the dimension of the squad and Zamora is not such a special case that Fabio Capello would include him because you can be sure that he will have studied him thoroughly. I'm guessing that Capello is a man that favours four strikers rather than five, even though it's the goals that will win you the tournament- he's probably looking at the balance of the squad.

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/project-0-0/
Project 0-0
Filed under: General β€” weltmeisterclaude @ 9:42 pm

After a lot of fun last year (and a bit of money for those of us who like to bet on correct scores) Project 0-0 seemed to have been abandoned this season. But it's well and truly back now, which is good because those points certainly do add up.

The above are this year's and last year's away games, together with the shots on target 'accomplished' and 'conceded' in each. What's interesting is that last year the shot totals were 'better' than this year: we allowed fewer and had more. Only by a smidge, but a slight difference nevertheless. Also, our totals were similar whether we drew 0-0 or not. This year, in only three 0-0s, we've really not shown much attacking-wise.

None of which tells us much, but I thought it worth contextualising this and last year's efforts. We managed seven 0-0s last time, and have only three this. So perhaps a slight change in approach. Who can say?

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6952
Sarcastic pops at Bobby can't pass for real comment
by Dan on April 12, 2010

At university, I was shaken by the confidence of one of the lecturers in my first year. This old-school history professor railed against 'the perils of the welfare state' and talked in excited terms about the importance of military might and, being young, naive and liberal, I wasn't a big fan. My disenchantment grew when it seemed as though I couldn't score highly on any of the essays he marked.

Approaching him at the end of a seminar, he rather gruffly asserted that I 'hadn't done enough reading'. I decided against asking him whether he had surveillance cameras in my room and the library to know this was absolutely true. Eventually, I plucked up the courage to go and see him in his office. He offered me a cup of tea and was much more polite than I expected. The problem with my essays was that they were 'rather weak'. He explained that, if I was writing in opposition to a particular view, I needed to form a cogent argument and offer evidence in support of it. In short, the onus was on me to prove that I was right.

You're probably wondering why I chose to recite this story from when I skulked around the Amory building in my first year at university. Well, sometimes when I read things on the internet, my blood begins to boil. Normally, my ire is reserved for rabid right-wing nonsense but sometimes I'm annoyed by sarcastic stuff like this, which happens to focus on Fulham's Bobby Zamora.

I've never heard of Prashant Bhatt and he probably doesn't know who I am either. That doesn't matter. His petty barbs at one of the league's most improved players managed to rile more. To use my lecturer's logic: he didn't bring too much weight to his case.

Let's take a look at some of what the esteemed contributor to The Transfer Tavern has to say:

This season he has scored more goals than in previous seasons, but, has anyone considered that it has taken him until the age of 29 to have this sort of campaign? In all honesty he's not an England player and never will be. I can understand the view that there are some strikers in that squad *cough*, Emile Heskey, who makes some fans wonder as to how they're still in it but the excuse that Zamora should be there in front of certain people doesn't quite work. Then again, the thing with this is that if Zamora was chosen for the squad he would probably play as a replacement for Heskey or Peter Crouch, as a sub, and Heskey doesn't really score many goals does he? So how Zamora can be expected to do so having had no international experience is beyond me.

Two things, here.

1) Zamora was a prolific lower-league goalscorer a while back. He scored 31 goals for Brighton in 2000-01 and managed 32 the following season at a higher level. Fourteen in what's now the Championship in 2002-03 wasn't a bad return for someone whose first-team experience was rather nondescript before he teamed up with Micky Adams on the south coast.

2) Statements like 'in all honesty he's not an England player and never will be' imply both a) that England players carry some distinguishing mark that means we can all spot them and b) an ability to see into the future. He would most probably be a back-up striker in South Africa (if he gets on the plane) but it's worth remembering he's scored more goals than Crouch and had much more playing time than Heskey, despite suffering several injuries this year. If you don't give Bobby a go, how will ever know if he can cut it at the highest level?

Then there's this lovely little paragraph.

Let's get in to tactics here. Fulham usually work their way to the edge of the box where Zamora either holds it up with his gangly structure or either gets on the final ball to finish a move. But a striker going to a World Cup needs more than that. The question is: what else does he offer? If we are to believe what we see than Heskey is the one who holds the ball up and gets the best out of Rooney (ha, that's great that one...Heskey gets the best out of Rooney) and the strikers all have decent goal-scoring records- something that should be their first priority.

Clearly, our friend Prashant hasn't actually examined Fulham's tactics in any great detail. Yes, Zamora can sometimes be used as a target man but he makes him sound like some 1950s throwback who got all his goals through brute force. Such a simplistic characterisation of Bobby ignores the clever little flicks, intelligent runs and his sterling defensive work that have made him such an integral part of Roy Hodgson's side. As a creative player, he's a lot more impressive than many armchair fans believe (six assists in the league alone this year).

This idea that Bobby's not got enough to cut it against international defences can only be predicated on the football equivalent of snobbery. He only plays for Fulham after all: the disdain was evident on Alan Hansen's face when Adrian Chiles limply asked him if Zamora could play for England. Bobby's given plenty of international defenders the run around this year and, arguably saved his best performances for the Europa League this year. Just ask Fabio Cannavaro.

Zamora's scored nineteen goals this year. He's probably not finished yet. Because he hasn't played for England before isn't a valid reason for excluding him from consideration now. No amount of sarcastic commentary can sully his convincing case

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_fulham_v_stoke_city_14_apr_2010_517255/index.shtml
FM Preview: Fulham v Stoke City 14 Apr 2010

This week FootyMad's match preview focuses on the game between Fulham and Stoke City at 20:00 on Wednesday, 14th April 2010 in the Premier League.

History of the Fulham v Stoke City fixture

Fulham prepare to entertain Stoke City at Craven Cottage on Wednesday evening, looking to continue an impressive record. The Cottagers are clearly on top, winning 51.52% of the games played between the two.

The most recent encounter between these two sides at Craven Cottage was less than a year ago, in April 2009, the Cottagers carving out a narrow 1-0 victory in a Premier League match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, click here

Recent encounters between the teams:
2009/2010 Tue 05 Jan Stoke City 3 - 2 Fulham PREM
2008/2009 Sat 25 Apr Fulham 1-0 Stoke City PREM
2008/2009 Sat 13 Dec Stoke City 0 - 0 Fulham PREM
2006/2007 Sat 27 Jan Fulham 3 - 0 Stoke City FAC
1998/1999 Tue 16 Mar Stoke City 0 - 1 Fulham LGE1
1998/1999 Tue 08 Sep Fulham 1 - 0 Stoke City LGE1
1994/1995 Wed 28 Sep Stoke City 1 - 0 Fulham LGEC

Recent respective form guides

Fulham have lost just once in their last six home games, winning four and drawing the other one. A total of 11 goals have been scored by the Cottagers in those games, with 6 conceded.

Stoke City have an average recent record on the road, collecting 2 wins and 3 draws from the last six. These low-scoring games have seen just 5 goals scored and conceded.

Fulham see themselves just below half way in the Barclays Premier League, showing a record of 42 points from their 33 games played so far, Stoke City's 43 points from 33 games sees them lie inside the top half of the table, in 10th position.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, click here

Current form guides: P W D L F A P
Fulham 6 3 1 2 6 7 10
Stoke City 6 2 3 1 5 3 9

FootyMad's prediction ...

Fulham are starting to turn Craven Cottage into a fortress, but the quality of opposition for this game makes your FootyMad panel believe the teams will share the spoils on this occasion. Score draw

Sequence statistics:
Fulham 5 games since last home draw.
Unbeaten run of 4 matches.

Stoke City Undefeated in last 3 away games.
4 games since last defeat.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-keeper-schwarzer-keen-continue-after-world-cup-766161
Fulham keeper Schwarzer keen to continue after World Cup

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer says he is keen to continue playing at the top level well after this year's World Cup.

The 38-year old has been inspirational for the Cottagers this season as he prepares to take the gloves for the Socceroos in South Africa later this year and has insisted that he would love to play on into his 40s.

"I'm enjoying myself more than ever and I'm probably close to being as fit as I've ever been in my whole career," said Schwarzer.

"I want to keep going as long as I can. As long as I'm enjoying it, and able to play at this level, why not?"

Schwarzer had hinted that he would re-consider both his club and international playing futures at the end of the World Cup with this latest comment indicating he is willing to go around again, at least at club level.

The former Middlesbrough man may take his Australia gloves off at the conclusion of South Africa but has also veiled that he may go on and represent his nation at the 2011 Asian Cup in Qatar.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-boss-hodgson-keen-schwarzer-carry-past-40-766151
Fulham boss Hodgson keen for Schwarzer to carry on past 40

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson says retirement should not be on the agenda for 37 year-old goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

Hodgson believes time is still on Schwarzer's side.

"Some of the best goalkeepers in the past have gone on to over 40," he said.

Schwarzer, who spent 11 years at Boro, said: "I'm enjoying myself more than ever, and I'm probably close to being as fit as I've ever been in my whole career.

"I want to keep going as long as I can. As long as I'm enjoying it, and able to play at this level, why not?"

WhiteJC

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/soccer/superb-socceroos-goalkeepr-mark-schwarzer-could-play-into-his-40s/story-e6frey4r-1225853203580
Superb Socceroos goalkeepr Mark Schwarzer could play into his 40s

VETERAN Socceroos goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer feels he could continue playing top-level football into his forties after hitting career-best fitness and form with Fulham.
The 37-year-old shot stopper has been outstanding this season, helping guide Fulham to the Europa League semi-finals and a credible 12th in the Premier League.

Schwarzer was at his brilliant best in Fulham's scoreless draw against Liverpool with a string of world-class saves prompting his manager Roy Hodgson to suggest he could continue playing beyond 40.

And the former Middlesbrough gloveman admitted he had no thoughts of retirement as he approached his 38th birthday in October.

"I'm enjoying myself more than ever and I'm probably close to being as fit as I've ever been in my whole career," said Schwarzer, who is contracted at Craven Cottage until the end of the 2010/11 season.

The idea of Schwarzer playing top-level club football into his 40s is far from unthinkable.

The three oldest Premier League players - John Burridge (43 years, five months), Neville Southall (41 years, five months) and Steve Ogrizovic (41 years, three months) - were all goalkeepers.

Of the current crop of top-flight goalkeepers, Portsmouth's David James and Manchester United's Edwin van der Sar turn 40 this year, while Aston Villa's Brad Friedel will be 39 next month.

What remains unclear is Schwarzer's playing future with the Socceroos.

He said last year he will consider retiring from international football after the World Cup in June but hinted he could play on for January's Asian Cup in Qatar.

Schwarzer's immediate focus is on taking Fulham to the highest possible league finish, and continuing their European fairytale when they begin their Europa League semi-final tie against Hamburg on Friday week (AEST).

"It's in our own hands," Schwarzer said.

"It would be a tremendous achievement for the players and club.

"We're all fighting for the same cause, we all want to be successful.

"We've got to stay focused and keep determined, and then the sky's the limit for us."

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/8614167.stm
Ask John Pantsil your questions

BBC World Service programme Fast Track is giving you the opportunity to put your questions to Ghana international defender John Pantsil.

The Fulham right-back is one of Africa's most consistent performers in Europe over the past two years.

His performance for both club and country led him to being named among Caf's Africa best XI for 2009.

He missed the recent Africa Cup of Nations in Angola because of an knee injury he suffered during in December.

Pantsil is expected to return to play his first game for his club next week after recovering from the injury.

He will also be key if Ghana are to perform well at the World Cup in South Africa in June.

Send your questions to Pantsil in the box on the right hand side

Tom

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 13, 2010, 07:48:33 AM
http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_fulham_v_stoke_city_14_apr_2010_517255/index.shtml
FM Preview: Fulham v Stoke City 14 Apr 2010

This week FootyMad's match preview focuses on the game between Fulham and Stoke City at 20:00 on Wednesday, 14th April 2010 in the Premier League.

History of the Fulham v Stoke City fixture

Fulham prepare to entertain Stoke City at Craven Cottage on Wednesday evening, looking to continue an impressive record. The Cottagers are clearly on top, winning 51.52% of the games played between the two.

The most recent encounter between these two sides at Craven Cottage was less than a year ago, in April 2009, the Cottagers carving out a narrow 1-0 victory in a Premier League match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, click here

Recent encounters between the teams:
2009/2010 Tue 05 Jan Stoke City 3 - 2 Fulham PREM
2008/2009 Sat 25 Apr Fulham 1-0 Stoke City PREM
2008/2009 Sat 13 Dec Stoke City 0 - 0 Fulham PREM
2006/2007 Sat 27 Jan Fulham 3 - 0 Stoke City FAC
1998/1999 Tue 16 Mar Stoke City 0 - 1 Fulham LGE1
1998/1999 Tue 08 Sep Fulham 1 - 0 Stoke City LGE1
1994/1995 Wed 28 Sep Stoke City 1 - 0 Fulham LGEC

Recent respective form guides

Fulham have lost just once in their last six home games, winning four and drawing the other one. A total of 11 goals have been scored by the Cottagers in those games, with 6 conceded.

Stoke City have an average recent record on the road, collecting 2 wins and 3 draws from the last six. These low-scoring games have seen just 5 goals scored and conceded.

Fulham see themselves just below half way in the Barclays Premier League, showing a record of 42 points from their 33 games played so far, Stoke City's 43 points from 33 games sees them lie inside the top half of the table, in 10th position.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, click here

Current form guides: P W D L F A P
Fulham 6 3 1 2 6 7 10
Stoke City 6 2 3 1 5 3 9

FootyMad's prediction ...

Fulham are starting to turn Craven Cottage into a fortress, but the quality of opposition for this game makes your FootyMad panel believe the teams will share the spoils on this occasion. Score draw

Sequence statistics:
Fulham 5 games since last home draw.
Unbeaten run of 4 matches.

Stoke City Undefeated in last 3 away games.
4 games since last defeat.

What is this? We don't play Stoke City on Wednesday.
Fulham for life!

dancrawford

I rather regret getting riled enough by that silly 'oh pleeeeeeeeeease' post to deliver an epic rant on Bobby's England chances.

Although the link doesn't seem to show up on FOF, I trust people will understand I was referring to anti-Bobby for England piece also featured in the thread.

WhiteJC

Quote from: dancrawford on April 13, 2010, 08:16:24 AM
I rather regret getting riled enough by that silly 'oh pleeeeeeeeeease' post to deliver an epic rant on Bobby's England chances.

Although the link doesn't seem to show up on FOF, I trust people will understand I was referring to anti-Bobby for England piece also featured in the thread.

thats how I read it DanΒ  :045:

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/04/13/fulham-midfielder-set-for-contract-talks-64767-26225969/
Fulham midfielder set for contract talks

SIMON Davies is praying he will stay fit so negotiations over a new contract to keep him at Fulham for the rest of his career can resume.

The 30-year-old midfielder has been plagued by an on-off season with worries over a troublesome instep bone that has seen him twice make a comeback.

The Wales international believes he's now over the worst – and is looking forward to a new deal to end his playing days at Craven Cottage.

He said: "I would like to stay on 100 per cent.

"But I needed to get back fit – and I'm over the worse and enjoying myself as at any stage in my football life.

"I was scheduled for (contract) talks but then I had a reoccurrence of my injury. So I'm sure the club are making sure I can stay fit before they start again. But I want to extend my stay here, and look to finish my career here."

The player signed from Everton in January 2007 was player-of-the-season in 2007-08, but admits he's been playing catch-up since August.

He added: "Missing some of the season's games was a worry – but I hope to get a run from now until the end of the season.

"It's been a struggle to get my fitness back over the last few games."

And since his second return, Davies has been called on twice to fill an unaccustomed role at right-back including the home tie against Wolfsburg in the Europa League, although those with good memories will recall the last time he did so, it was for Wales against England at Old Trafford the best part of six years ago.

He said: "The only trouble was England scored after about five minutes. But I guess you could say playing there is another string to my bow.

"Here at Fulham I had Aaron Hughes talking me to make sure I wasn't losing focus or drifting behind, which was a great help."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6955
Don't be silly. There's no manager of the month curse
by Tor on April 13, 2010

I'm having a lazy day today ahead of settling down to watch some football so I thought I'd do a bit of research.

Someone on Cottage Corner asked why we did so badly in March and my automatic response was "Roy won Manager of the Month for February". But how much of a curse is this award? In the words of Harry Hill, there's only one way to find out. So here for your delectation are the winners of the award this season and their performance in the following months' fixtures.

August – Harry Redknapp (Tottenham)
12.09.09: Tottenham 1 – 3 Man Utd
20.09.09: Chelsea 3 – 0 Tottenham
23.09.09: Preston 1 – 5 Totttenham (Carling Cup)
26.09.09: Tottenham 5 – 0 Burnley

September – Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester Utd)
03.10.09: Man Utd 2 – 2 Sunderland
17.10.09: Man Utd 2 – 1 Bolton
21.10.09: CSKA Moscow 0 – 1 Man Utd (Champions League)
25.10.09: Liverpool 2 – 0 Man Utd
27.10.09: Barnsley 0 – 2 Man Utd (Carling Cup)
31.10.09: Man Utd 2 – 0 Blackburn

October – Roy Hodgson (Fulham)
05.11.09: Roma 2 – 1 Fulham (Europa League)
08.1109: Wigan 1 – 1 Fulham
21.11.09: Birmingham 1 – 0 Fulham
25.11.09: Fulham 3 – 0 Blackburn
28.11.09: Fulham 1 – 1 Bolton

November – Carlo Ancelotti (Chelsea)
02.12.09: Blackburn 3 – 3 Chelsea (Carling Cup)
05.12.09: Man City 2 – 1 Chelsea
08.12.09: Chelsea 2 – 2 Apoel Nicosia (Champions League)
12.12.09: Chelsea 3 – 3 Everton
16.12.09: Chelsea 2 – 1 Portsmouth
20.12.09: West Ham 1 – 1 Chelsea
26.12.09: Birmingham 0 – 0 Chelsea
28.12.09: Chelsea 2 – 1 Fulham

December (Alex McLeish, Birmingham)
02.01.10: Nottm Forest 0 – 0 Birmingham (FA Cup)
09.10.10: Birmingham 1 – 1 Man Utd
12.01.10: Birmingham 1 – 0 Nott Forest (FA Cup)
23.01.10: Everton 1 – 2 Birmingham (FA Cup)
27.01.10: Chelsea 3 – 0 Birmingham
30.01.10: Birmingham 1 – 1 Tottenham

January – David Moyes (Everton)
06.02.10: Liverpool 1 – 0 Everton
10.02.10: Everton 2 – 1 Chelsea
16.02.10: Everton 2 – 1 Sporting Lisbon (Europa League)
20.02.10: Everton 3 – 1 Man Utd
25.02.10: Sporting Lisbon 3 – 0 Everton (Europa League)
28.02.10: Tottenham 2 – 1 Everton

February: Roy Hodgson (Fulham)
06.03.10: Fulham 0 – 0 Tottenham (FA Cup)
11.03.10: Juventus 3 – 1 Fulham (Europa League)
14.03.10: Man Utd 3 – 0 Fulham
18.03.10: Fulham 4 – 1 Juventus (Europa League)
21.03.10: Fulham 1 – 2 Man City
24.03.10: Tottenham 3 – 1 Fulham (FA Cup)
27.03.10: Hull 2 – 0 Fulham

March: David Moyes (Everton)
04.04.10: Everton 2 – 2 West Ham

I have to say that I'm not convinced. Look at Everton after Moyes won the award for January – they beat Chelsea and Manchester Utd. Admittedly both at home but I watched the Man Utd game on the telly and Everton really did display some quite special football.

Birmingham got through a couple rounds of the FA Cup and picked up two draws in the league after Alex McLeish was crowned MOTM for December. One of those FA Cup wins was against Everton at Goodison Park – never an easy tie.

Ancelotti's probably the best candidate for supporting the view that the award is a curse. Two wins at home (against Fulham and Portsmouth – both "expected" wins), an away defeat to Man City and five draws, including against West Ham which most people would probably have thought Chelsea should've won comfortably given West Ham's form this season. Being held to a 3-3 draw at home to Everton probably wasn't one of Chelsea's finest hours either. (Everton seem to be cropping up a lot in this "study" one way or another).

So, onto Fulham .... well that's a tricky one. In November we took five league point from a possible 12 and got beaten by Roma and the refs. Not brilliant. In March we took no points from a possible nine, got beaten quite convincingly by Juventus and missed out on a trip to Wembley. All that alone would suggest to me that Roy does seem to be a victim of 'The Curse'.

But then on 18th March this happened.

And for that reason, together with my ever-so-scientific research above, I can't quite bring myself to buy into the curse nonsense.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/04/13/fulham-star-simon-davies-set-for-talks-over-new-deal-82029-26225961/
Fulham star Simon Davies set for talks over new deal

SIMON Davies is praying he will stay fit so negotiations over a new contract to keep him at Fulham for the rest of his career can resume.

The 30-year-old midfielder has been plagued by an on-off season with worries over a troublesome instep bone that has seen him twice make a comeback.

The Wales international believes he's now over the worst – and is looking forward to a new deal to end his playing days at Craven Cottage.

He said: "I would like to stay on 100 per cent.

"But I needed to get back fit – and I'm over the worse and enjoying myself as at any stage in my football life.

"I was scheduled for (contract) talks but then I had a reoccurrence of my injury. So I'm sure the club are making sure I can stay fit before they start again. But I want to extend my stay here, and look to finish my career here."

The player signed from Everton in January 2007 was player-of-the-season in 2007-08, but admits he's been playing catch-up since August.

He added: "Missing some of the season's games was a worry – but I hope to get a run from now until the end of the season.

"It's been a struggle to get my fitness back over the last few games."

And since his second return, Davies has been called on twice to fill an unaccustomed role at right-back including the home tie against Wolfsburg in the Europa League, although those with good memories will recall the last time he did so, it was for Wales against England at Old Trafford the best part of six years ago.

He said: "The only trouble was England scored after about five minutes. But I guess you could say playing there is another string to my bow.

"Here at Fulham I had Aaron Hughes talking me to make sure I wasn't losing focus or drifting behind, which was a great help."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2565/exclusives/2010/04/13/1876328/fulhams-roy-hodgson-hoping-inter-will-beat-barcelona-win-the
Fulham's Roy Hodgson hoping Inter will beat Barcelona & win the Champions League
Former Nerazzurri boss backs Special One to conquer Europe

Roy Hodgson has backed his former club Inter and their coach Jose Mourinho to see off the challenge of holders Barcelona and win the Champions League.

Speaking exclusively to Goal.com UK at the annual Football Extravaganza fundraiser in aid of the Nordoff Robbins charity, Hodgson hailed Inter's progress under Mourinho.

The Fulham manager had two spells in the top job at San Siro in the late 1990s, and has been impressed by their progress in Europe this season. "They've done very well," he said.

"Normally in the past they've reached the quarter-finals and now they're in the semi-finals." He admitted a difficult task awaited the Italian champions in the last four.

"Hopefully this year they'll crown their domestic glories by also doing one internationally, in Europe, and I'm hoping that they'll go to the final, albeit that they have an enormously tough nut to crack in Barcelona before they reach it."

As well as praising Mourinho's season, Hodgson drew attention to the foundations laid for the Portuguese coach by his predecessor, Manchester City's Roberto Mancini.

"They've been exceptionally good the last four years to win the championship every year. It's been an outstanding achievement," said the 62-year-old.Β 

Hodgson has received a shower of plaudits himself this season, following Fulham's near-miraculous 2008 escape from relegation and seventh-place finish last season by masterminding an extraordinary run to this year's Europa League semi-finals.

However, the former Blackburn Rovers coach was characteristically modest on his role in Fulham's achievements, preferring to leave the credit to his players. "You can never put a price on experience and you can never quantify it, that's the problem," he smiled ruefully.

"I don't feel it's been anything special that I've done. I can't put my finger on anything I've done that someone else with less European experience wouldn't have done. On the other hand, you don't know to what extent some of the decisions you're making and some of the things you're doing are being affected by the experience you've had of Europe and European football in the past.

"I'm just pleased that the team has responded so well to the constant challenges they've had to face and that we're in with a fighting chance of reaching the final."

Europa charge

Hodgson admitted he was still doing his homework on Fulham's semi-final opponents Hamburg, though he has faced the German club in Europe before. "I don't know a lot about them," he said.

"I played them when I was at Viking (Stavanger) three or four years ago in the same competition. The team has changed a lot since then, though one or two of the players are still there. I know (Piotr) Trochowski who's still there for example. (Mladen) Petric I know a little about because I had him at Grasshoppers. (Ruud) Van Nistelrooy of course everyone knows from his time in England and Holland."

The coach promised Fulham would be ready to try and secure a second trip to the northern German city, in the May 12 final, by the time the semi arrives. "I'm not an expert on the team at the moment," he conceded, "but we're getting a lot of information on them, and by the time Thursday week comes around I think I'll have a pretty good grip on how they play and what they do and we'll be trying to prepare against it."