watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gillingham Away 1971.

Started by keith, October 03, 2012, 07:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith

One of my first away games was at Gillingham in 1971.Fulham were sitting in Second place in the old division Three and we fans expected promotion.I was 14 years of age,and lived with my parents in the Elephant and Castle inSouth London.It was Easter time with only about Six games left.A short walk to London Bridge station and i was on my way to Kent.On arriving at my destination i made my way to the ground,where i entered the "Home end"and kept my mouth shut in case i was spotted by a Gillingham fan.I needn`t have bothered,as Fulham fans took over Priestfield that day,there were loads of us.If i remember rightly,we were trailing 1-0 at half time,but came back to win 3-1 with goals from,i think,Les Barrett,Jimmy Conway and George Johnstone.It was quite a while ago so i may have the scorers wrong.Certain things i remember are.Our fans in the Gillingham end hiding their scarves until the first chant of "Fulham",and then they all come out from under their shirts and jumpers,me included.I was heavily in to Slade at the time,and i was probably wearing a Tank top like Noddy Holder,and i definately had Doctor Martins on,as that`s all i wore!!!!.Oh dear,i`d hate to see pictures of myself back the now.It was a great day out,in what proved to be the first year that i experienced promotion.I also remember the Gillingham DJ playing "Co Co"by the Sweet,and "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" by Middle of the road at half time.Strange the things you remember,eh?.

LBNo11

...ah the red socks in the promotion season! I was there, I remember it kicking off as a few of the locals objected to their end being taken and tried to pick some of us off in the toilets - cue their fans being chased around the ground, I can remember our fans swinging 'Tarzanesque' from pulley ropes under the scaffolding platform the TV cameras (probably under Gillingham supporting TV anchor Brian Moore) were on in pursuit of the prey at Priestfield.

Oh, and it was Les Barrett's 50th goal for Fuham...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

keith

Blimey,i remember that now.Yes,it was on the Big Match next day.Oh,the Red socks,forgot about them.

Holders

I didn't think George Johnstone arrived till a year or so later, but I could be wrong...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Burt

It wasn't that often we could lay claim to another team's home end.

Plough Lane was one I do remember quite distinctly.

nose

it was the first match i ever saw us win away from home and I was supporting since the early 60s!

keith

Yes Burt,Plough Lane was another.

bill taylors apprentice

Ah! the memories.
Jimmy Dunne's first season with us, a classy player, and I remember Stan Horne, he was rubbish.  

Scrumpy

Quote from: keith on October 03, 2012, 10:25:05 PM
Yes Burt,Plough Lane was another.

Brentford too. QPR once?  093.gif

Let's face it, we've never been great at this 'hooligan' stuff. It's hardly a glorious list of conquests is it?
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

keith

gerrys

Nice memories, I remember it too..............I was there and remember, above all, the drive back to London.............all the cars seemed to have black & white scarves fluttering from their windows...........

Rupert

I can actually remember watching their goal on telly! Webster, our keeper, came racing off his line and I seem to recall their man put the ball past him far too easily.

I can't remember our goals at all. I must have been traumatised by their goal, even though I already knew the result, that's the only explanation.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

VB

FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

keith

Thanks VB,nice one mate.My next venture on here is Newcastle away,League cup 74-75.

Holders

It was unusual that we could outscore Webster's mistakes.

Yes, you're right it was George Johnstone. Fred Callaghan, Barry Lloyd, Johnny Mitch - great memories.'

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: keith on October 04, 2012, 07:18:11 PM
Thanks VB,nice one mate.My next venture on here is Newcastle away,League cup 74-75.

3-0 defeat at St James's Park in the pouring rain as I remember with I think Super Mac scoring their last goal.

I don't think that we were really ever in the game, but the thing that I do remember is the incredible noise that the Leazes End made, but that was when it was a proper football ground rather than the all seater stadium that it is now.

Ended up sleeping for a few hours at St Pancras on the way back until the underground started running. A lot safer then than it would be now. Couldn't do it now, arthritic knees and all that!

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Holders on October 04, 2012, 08:37:42 PM
It was unusual that we could outscore Webster's mistakes.

Yes, you're right it was George Johnstone. Fred Callaghan, Barry Lloyd, Johnny Mitch - great memories.'

Super Mitch didn't join until 72/3 but you can replace him with Les Barrett!

Holders

Yes, so who was No 9 in the pic then? Can't remember who we had after Steve Earle and before Mitch.

LBNo11

Quote from: Holders on October 04, 2012, 09:09:05 PM
Yes, so who was No 9 in the pic then? Can't remember who we had after Steve Earle and before Mitch.

...Vic Halom...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC