News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham FC's thoughts on hooliganism - in 1968 - a letter to the authorities...

Started by LBNo11, October 04, 2012, 08:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...an archive document from yesteryear:-

With thanks to Fulham fan Peter Proverbs for his permission to copy and post...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

In the Enclosure

True we didn't have a bad hooligan problem but I can remember a couple of bad incidents in 1966/7/8 against Sheffield United, Wolves and Stoke when beer bottles being thrown made a night game look like a shower of crystal. Also knives being produced in the Hammersmith end and wooden poles being used to fight with. Not to mention West Ham wrecking the floral garden in Bishops Park.
For years after that the park gates were locked at one end meaning a  hike if you were coming from Putney.

Gangs were not organised in the 60s but there was always an attempt by away teams to occupy the Hammersmith end which always succeeded when Man Utd were in town as about 5,000 of them seemed to be there just after the gates opened.

Burt

Quote from: In the Enclosure on October 04, 2012, 08:23:14 PM
For years after that the park gates were locked at one end meaning a  hike if you were coming from Putney.

I remember that... We used to climb over. Being a tiddler at the time, Brother Burt had to hoik me over.

keith

Mr_Moon

True we didn't have a bad hooligan problem but I can remember a couple of bad incidents in 1966/7/8 against Sheffield United, Wolves and Stoke when beer bottles being thrown made a night game look like a shower of crystal. Also knives being produced in the Hammersmith end and wooden poles being used to fight with. Not to mention West Ham wrecking the floral garden in Bishops Park.

Oh God, not the floral garden!

carol

I typed this letter!  I was secretary to Graham Hortop and Bobby Robson at that time having joined the club in 1965.  I left in 1969 to return to the FA where I had previously worked.

Rupert

Quote from: carol on October 04, 2012, 10:50:57 PM
I typed this letter!  I was secretary to Graham Hortop and Bobby Robson at that time having joined the club in 1965.  I left in 1969 to return to the FA where I had previously worked.

Did the FA reply with anything constructive (assuming you can reply without betraying any confidences, of course)?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

MasterHaynes

Knowing how slow the FA are to repond to everything when y
It would be a great tale if on your return to the FA in 69 you typed the reply to it as well all authorities then rarely resonded to anything quickly 065.gif

LBNo11

Quote from: MasterHaynes on October 05, 2012, 09:55:06 AM
Knowing how slow the FA are to repond to everything when y
It would be a great tale if on your return to the FA in 69 you typed the reply to it as well all authorities then rarely resonded to anything quickly 065.gif

...now that would be a turn up. Thanks for posting that Carol, a happy connection to the past...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

domprague

Quote from: Mr_Moon on October 04, 2012, 10:13:00 PM

Oh God, not the floral garden!

Maybe it was Dennis Wise and Les Ferdinand. They've got form in doing over West London gardens.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.