https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: DIS - thread

Started by Logicalman, October 05, 2012, 04:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Quote from: Rupert on October 05, 2012, 11:18:51 AM
Quote from: LBNo11 on October 05, 2012, 10:55:15 AM
...off at a tangent here, in his closing sentence cebu states "where there are no disgruntled employees" - so if you are happy with your lot are you 'gruntled'?

The English language, wonderful to behold...

And if you are not dismayed, then you are....?

This might need a thread of its own!

OK then, so, how do you get 'GUSTED'? and how do you hold something in 'TAIN'? and does 'PERATE' mean it's equal and similar?

These questions, and many others, on this episode of Soap .....

HatterDon

Isn't one way to be missed to have been previously dismissed?

Here's one that has always confused me -- distaff. It's usually used to describe something feminine. Does this have any "roots" in the concept of severing a staff?

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LBNo11

...I think this is as parage thread...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

NogoodBoyo

---it should be mantled before the next solution of the monasteries.
Nogood "turbed by this I am, isit" Boyo

LBNo11

...I'll sipate and keep this one to this thread only...

The Doctor

To turn it around, didn't the great Norman Stanley Fletcher once declare himself to be "dischuffed" with a turn of events?

I love occassionally dropping that word into conversations and watching the brief moment of polite confusion on people's faces as they try to extract the meaning from the context

LBNo11

...and does a convicted dodgy lawyer become barred from his profession because he has been  disbarred..?

:023:

HatterDon

nothing here for me to pute
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

And if Sherlock Holmes failed to come to a conclusion, would the case be dissolved?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Ron Sheepskin

In a conversation with a Belgian (no, not that one - where is he anyway?) once, he used the word 'discomfortable'. I sort of feel that this word ought to exist.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Lighthouse

So what all this mean is that the English Language is discombobulated.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

GodfatherJol

According to the internet, 'gruntled' is a word (though scarcely used) and it does have a meaning that is essentially the opposite of 'disgruntled'. But equally, if it's not in any dictionary (I've not looked) then it could just be individual writers coining a new phrase.

Coincidently I've just started a degree in English Language and Linguistics and a couple of days ago we had a lecture that mentioned this kind of thing. If you want a brief explanation of why some 'dis-' words have no orthographically similar opposite, I can try my best. (SPOILER: it may/will be boring)

Burt

I am thoroughly gusted by this thread  :dft011:

Logicalman

How does one become membered? Adding limbs back on perhaps.

NogoodBoyo

Very good, Logical.
Nogood "keeping my tance from any more of these in case my dogs recover form temper, isit" Boyo

Logicalman

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 06, 2012, 11:50:50 AM
So what all this mean is that the English Language is discombobulated.

actually I felt it might be better combobulated instead, as in removed from a state of confusion (urban dictionary)

Ron Sheepskin

If you were fired from your job, were you missed?
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Logicalman

Hmm, articulated is being pure in speech and without ambiguity, so why is disarticulated being severed at the joints? Isn't that disjointed?

and how many of us are in pute?

GoldCoastWhite

I'm finding WBA's performance, and QPR's discomfort deeply appointing ! 3-1  082.gif

Adam87

oztralian well said goldcoast