more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (07/10/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 07, 2012, 07:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Saints V Fulham Premiership Head To Head

Saints go into unday's game protecting an unbeaten record against Fulham in the Premier League, here we look back on previous meetings.

Saints have met with Fulham at St Mary's on four occasions in the Premier league after the Cottagers promotion to the division in 2001/02 our first season at our then new stadium.

In that first game it ended 1-1 a 7th minute Steve Marlet goal following a Paul Jones goalkeeping error, being cancelled out by Rory Delap in the 22nd minute, 31,616 being in attendance to see Saints 6th game unbeaten.

The following season saw a surprisingly small crowd of 26,188 brave gale force winds of 75mph for a Sunday kick off and they were stunned by two goals by the visitors in the opening 25 minutes, however a James Beattie penalty two minutes later reduced the arrears and just before the break Beattie again scored from open play to make it all square at the break, in the 53rd minute Beattie completed his hat trick by heading home from a free kick, leaving Brett Ormerod to complete the scoring with just under twenty minutes left.   

In 2003/04 31,284 turned up to witness a 2-2 draw but if they were to be disapointed those who attended the fixture the following season would once again witness a six goal thriller in what would be our last game to date with the London club, Kevin Phillips twice giving us the lead in the first half only to see his goals cancelled out by Fulham efforts, in the second half the visitors took the lead shortly after the break and it looked like it would be another defeta for struggling Saints before a Rosenior own goal on 71 minutes gave us a share of the points, this being another two dropped home points as we struggled against relegation.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/fb_news.php?storyid=18328

WhiteJC

Saints V Fulham - The Greatest Game

Saints V Fulham fixtures have often been full of goals however the five goal thriller in 1976 must rank as the greatest game between the two clubs for several reasons.

Fulham's arrival at the Dell on 2nd October 1976, almost exactly 36 years to the date of this seasons fixture saw both teams in the national footballing headlines, Saints of course had just won the FA Cup, but were still suffering the hangover from this as Lawrie McMenemy started to dismantle one side and build another, this was Saints 8th League fixture of the season and they had yet to win one, indeed a 6-2 defeat at Charlton the previous weekend had left us rock bottom of the second division.

Fulham however were flying high, the reason was they had several notable players now in their ranks, including the likes of Bobby Moore, Rodney Marsh & George Best, Best himself was back to playing some scintilating football after a few years in the wilderness as his well documented problems off the pitch had started to take hold.

Interest in the game was high with Match Of The Day cameras in attendance and a couple of thousand Fulham fans swelling the gate to 28,489.

It didnt take long for the crowd to get some action, after only two minutes Ted MacDougall recently signed from Norwich scored his first goal for the club with a glancing header from David Peach's cross, despite the array of attacking talent on show, the aforementioned Best & Marsh as well as Mick Channon and Peter Osgood for Saints, the game remained at 1-0 till the 65th minute then it exploded into life, firstly Mel Blyth came into the area late to meet a Jim McCalliog free kick perfectly and put Saints two up.

A minute later George Best who with things not going his way was becoming more petulant as the game went on, was sent off by the referee, as Best headed for the tunnel, his glamorous wife ( A former Miss World ?, possibly) who had been taking pictures from behind the goal, made her way back to the dressing room herself to much sexist comments from the home fans who after abusing Best on every step of his long walk turned their attentions to her.

But the game was far from finished and Fulham perhaps now able to play to their strengths rather than have to rely on whether Best could be bothered or not pulled one back within minutes of his departure.

But their rally didnt last long as two minutes late Blyth again met a McCalliog free kick perfectly and headed us back into a two goal lead.

On the 80th minute MacDougall got his second, racing though to put the ball past Ian Mellor in the Fulham goal after a superb Channon goal.

The last ten minutes were played out with Saints showing that they two had people who could play the game and pass the ball, making sure that there would be no comeback from the visiors, the crowd cheered every move as the Fulham fans flooded from the Archers oad terraces in their droves.

Lawrie McMenemy put the win down to a team performance, Fulham relied heavily on 3 or 4 superstars perhaps pst their best, but Saints had that all round talent and were embarking on a four straight winnning run in which including this four they would hit fifteen goals and have the fans perhaps wondering whether promotion might yet be on the cards.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/fb_news.php?storyid=18329

WhiteJC

Fulham sign Mickael Tavares on short-term deal
Fulham have signed Senegal international Mickael Tavares on a short-term deal, as part of Martin Jol's efforts to cope with the club's midfield injury crisis.

Simon Davies and Mahamadou Diarra have both been ruled out for several months, while Pajtim Kasami and Kerim Frei are struggling for fitness.

Defensive midfielder Tavares, 29, was a free agent after being released by Hamburg at the end of last season.

He is well known to Jol, who worked with him in Germany, and will also be a familiar face to some English football fans, having spent the 2010-11 season on loan at Middlesbrough.

Tavares told his new club's website: 'I'm happy that I'm now officially a Fulham player and I'm looking forward to playing under Martin Jol once more.

'The players and staff have made me feel welcome and I can't wait to get started with my new teammates.'

Jol hinted Tavares had been signed with a view to being involved in the first team, rather than simply as cover.

'Mickael is a typical holding midfielder and I'm delighted that we've been able to strengthen this area,' said the Cottagers boss.

'He played for me when I was at Hamburg so I'm familiar with his qualities and he will prove to be a very good addition.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/914252-fulham-sign-mickael-tavares-on-short-term-deal#ixzz28aq0JdX0

WhiteJC

Saints v Fulham - Pre-match stats

Saints v Fulham
Sunday 7th October
KO: 13:30

- Southampton were given yet another lesson in top flight football by high-flying Everton as they lost 3-1 at Goodison Park last weekend. New signing Gaston Ramirez got the Saints off to an excellent start barely a few minutes after the whistle, but from then on his side struggled to contain a rampant Everton side.

- Despite their string of poor results, Southampton are continuing to work hard on their return to the Premier League. After six rounds of matches they remain top of the chart for overall distance covered, and are yet to be over taken all season having posted 371.55 miles, 8 miles ahead of second placed West Ham.

- However, the results may be taking their toll as the 54.29 miles posted against Everton is their lowest total so far this season.

- Rickie Lambert will likely be looking to improve the consistency of his shooting this weekend against Everton. He has been off target with 45% of his 11 shots on goal this season.

- Youngster James Ward-Prowse was again Southampton's hardest working player last weekend and is clearly keen to show Nigel Adkins he deserves his starting spot. He ran for 5.94 miles against Everton.

- Defender Nathaniel Clyne continues to adapt well to life at the back in the Premier League. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index puts him fourth for successful tackles made, having accumulated a total of 19 so far this season.

- Adam Lallana continues to impress for Southampton as the season progresses, providing plenty of opportunities for his front men to find the net. He sits fourth on the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index for assists with 3, having also supplied 12 crosses.

- Striker Jay Rodriguez was Southampton's fastest player against the Toffees, the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index spotting him travelling at 21.55mph.

- Fulham lost 1-2 at home to Man City last weekend, despite a penalty from Mladen Petric and a string of superb stops from Mark Schwarzer. While Man City's dominance of possession will mean this was probably a fair ending, Martin Jol will have been pleased with the threat his developing side posed to the defending champions.

- Bryan Ruiz was grafted more than any other player against Man City, racking up a match-leading 6.05 miles on his afternoon's work.

- Hugo Rodallega is clearly keen to justify Martin Jol's faith in him following his arrival for Wigan. He's been peppering opposition goals this season, and has been on target with 81% of his 16 attempts on goal.

- Even at 33, Damien Duff still has the ability to strike fear into opposition defences. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index ranks him joint second for dribbles this season with 9.

- Fullback John Arne Riise showed plenty of verve down the flank for Fulham last weekend. He was their quickest player, recording an impressive 20.62mph.

Stats kindly provided by EA SPORTS Player Performance Index

http://www.saints247.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1871/Saints_v_Fulham_Pre_match_stat.html?#Post1871

WhiteJC

Southampton midfielder Steven Davis has nothing to prove against Fulham

Steven Davis: Hoping to score against former club Fulham

Southampton midfielder Steven Davis believes he has nothing to prove when he takes on former club Fulham on Sunday.

The Northern Ireland international spent less than a season with the Cottagers back in 2007 before leaving for Rangers and admits it was not an easy time for him.

"It was a difficult period for the club because a lot of new players came in and it took time for us all to gel," said the 27-year-old, quoted in the Daily Star.

"As I had not played a lot of football for the previous six months, it was difficult for me too.

"I was only there for a short time before I joined Rangers but I don't have anything to prove to them.

"It is always nice to score against your old team and it is important to get goals from midfield, so I would love to get one."

Saints have won just one game so far on their return to the top flight and conceding goals has been an issue but Davis believes the team can now enjoy a good run starting at the weekend.

"You cannot go into a game thinking we need to score four to win," he added.

"But we are coming into a run of games where we can pick up some points."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8142618/?

WhiteJC

Tavares more than cover - Jol

Martin Jol is confident Mickael Tavares will prove to be 'a very good addition' following his move to Fulham on a short-term contract.

The Cottagers chief moved quickly to sign the 29-year-old Senegal international on a free transfer to help ease the injury crisis gripping the club with Simon Davies and Mahamadou Diarra both ruled out for several months, while Pajtim Kasami and Kerim Frei are struggling for fitness.

Tavares played under Jol during the Dutch tactician's time in charge of Hamburg, while he has experience of playing in England following a lengthy loan spell with Championship side Middlesbrough in the 2011-12 campaign.

On Tavares, who was a free agent having left Hamburg at the end of last season, Jol told the club's website: "Mickael is a typical holding midfielder and I'm delighted that we've been able to strengthen this area.

"He played for me when I was at Hamburg so I'm familiar with his qualities and he will prove to be a very good addition."

Tavares is also delighted to get an opportunity to ply his trade in the top tier of English football with the Cottagers.

He added: "I'm happy that I'm now officially a Fulham player and I'm looking forward to playing under Martin Jol once more.

"The players and staff have made me feel welcome and I can't wait to get started with my new teammates."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/tavares-more-than-cover---jol-1480366.html?

WhiteJC

Barclays U21s: Fulham beat Chelsea 3-1

West London derby ends 3-1 for home team at Craven Cottage in Barclays U21 Premier League

Fulham 3-1 Chelsea

A strong Fulham side sent Chelsea to a second consecutive defeat in the Barclays U21 Premier League while gaining their second victory in the competition at a wet Craven Cottage.

Kerim Frei, Philippe Senderos and Ashkan Dejagah were named in the Fulham XI by manager Kit Symons, as well as Mickael Tavares, whose signing on a short-term deal was confirmed earlier in the day.

After an even opening period Charles Banya gave the home side the lead with a volley from Senderos's long ball.

The lead did not last for long as Chelsea levelled before the break when Fulham goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi was unable to stop Billy Clifford's free kick. But the home side went back ahead when Frei robbed the ball, rounded the Chelsea goalkeeper and fed Marcello Trotta to slot home.

Senderos and Dejagah were withdrawn at half-time but Fulham were not weakened and extended their lead three minutes after half-time when Frei and Trotta again combined with the latter heading in the former's free kick.

Chelsea almost halved the deficit twice when free kicks from Lucas Piazon and Lewis Baker hit a post but ultimately they could not prevent Fulham from victory.

"I'm very pleased as it was a decent performance," Symons told fulhamfc.com. "Obviously we had a few senior players out there so it was good to get the win."

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/barclays-u21-league-061012-review.html?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Southampton v Fulham (13:30 BST)

This should be a very open game, and I fancy Southampton's chances.

I know Fulham won their last away game, at Wigan, but the Latics created plenty of scoring opportunities in that match and, as a Saints player, you would be going into a home game against the Cottagers thinking that we are going to do the same and we can win.

I'm not sure Southampton felt that confident about taking the three points even when they went ahead against Everton last week but this weekend will be a different story, especially if Fulham have one of their off-days on the road.

Southampton have conceded an average of three goals a game in the league this season and I am sure their manager Nigel Adkins will have been working like mad on their defending but it is important they do not lose any of their attacking threat at the same time.

It is all about getting the balance right and I am with Adkins when he says he will keep on attacking. As a newly promoted team he has not got the strongest of squads but he has some useful attacking players like Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert so he should play to his strengths.

Prediction: 2-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19795970

WhiteJC

Jol wary of Lambert threat
Fulham manager Martin Jol believes that Sunday's opponents Southampton boast one of the best target men in England in Rickie Lambert.

Saints have endured a tough start to life back in the top flight after a seven-year absence, with their only points coming in the recent 4-1 defeat of Aston Villa.

Lambert netted twice in that victory and also scored against both Manchester sides in what has so far been an impressive start to his first season in the Premier League.

Jol has been impressed by the 30-year-old's exploits and expects a tough challenge against the recently-promoted side at St Mary's tomorrow afternoon.

"Rickie Lambert is probably one of the best target man we've got in England," the Fulham boss said. "He is very dangerous with crosses, especially at the far post.

"If you see their line-up and if you are capable as a club of getting the likes of Gaston Ramirez then you're heading in the right direction.

"I thought they were very unfortunate in two or three matches, even against Manchester City away from home. They should have quite a few more points.

"They play with four players up front and if you talk about Ramirez, Adam Lallana and the like, they are all good players.

"You saw that in the first 30 minutes against Everton and against Man City, for example. I think they've got the quality to survive in the league and to hurt you."

Despite some impressive performances, Southampton's poor start to the season saw pressure begin to mount on manager Nigel Adkins.

The former Scunthorpe boss led Saints to successive promotions from League One, but reports suggested former Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez or - rather surprisingly - ex-Saints and Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp could replace him.

"That is football, you know? You can do well and someone will say anything and then you get a different perception," Jol said.

"You saw with Bobby Zamora. Everybody was happy here, we were hugging and then everybody thinks it is ok.

"Nothing is what it seems in football and you will see in the next couple of weeks there will always be players telling you the spirit is great and it is the same with him.

"He did ever so well, got them promotion and what more can you do as a manager?

"Three weeks in it is about pressure and winning games and I feel he already knew that. I don't think it is news for him."

Jol will be missing talisman Dimitar Berbatov for the trip to St Mary's due to injury and could also have to do without Mladen Petric, who picked up a calf complaint yesterday.

Kieran Richardson does, though, return for a Fulham side boosted by Philippe Senderos, Pajtim Kasami, Kerim Frei and Ashkan Dejagah stepping up their return to fitness last night.

The quartet played in Fulham 3-1 with rivals Chelsea in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League, which also saw Mickael Tavares play the full 90 minutes hours after signing a short-term deal with the Cottagers.

http://www.football365.com/fulham/8142817/Jol-wary-of-Lambert-threat?

WhiteJC

Midfielder Joins

There was speculation a few weeks ago that Martin Jol was after Mickael Tavares and now that speculation has turned to fact.

Today it is being reported that the twenty-nine year old has signed for the Craven Cottage club, on a short term deal, after being released by Hamburg.

Anyone know if he`s any good?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=295767#ixzz28aslrdaH

WhiteJC

Fulham U18s 1 Chelsea U18s 2

Fulham's Under-18s slipped to an unlucky 2-1 defeat to Chelsea at Motspur Park on Saturday.

The Whites were looking to bounce back after a 3-1 defeat at Liverpool last weekend ended their 100 per cent winning start to the season.

But they fell behind in the 18th minute when Ruben Loftus-Cheek arrived unmarked at the far post to tuck home Jonathan Muleba's cross.

Fulham levelled midway through the second half when Muamer Tankovic slotted in from just a few yards out.

A point was the least Fulham deserved for their efforts but it was Chelsea who snatched the win late on when Ambrose Gnahore's cross was unfortunately turned into his own net by Dean O'Hallaran.

Steve Wigley's side are next in action on Saturday 20th October when they host Crystal Palace. The Whites defeated the Eagles 4-3 earlier this season.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/06/fulham-u18s-1-chelsea-u18s-2?

WhiteJC

S'ton v Fulham: Count on the Saints for a goal-filled game
Jol's away day blues set to resume after rare win last time

Southampton's defensive frailties mean they're going to have to turn St Mary's into something resembling a fortress if they are to avoid relegation this season.

They're 13/8 to beat Fulham in this one and, desperate as they are for a win, will be boosted by the Cottagers woeful record on the road.

A win at Wigan last time was an anomaly following three straight defeats early in this campaign and 17 Premier League away losses in the two campaigns prior.

Saints looked to have finally started their season when they last ran out in front of their own fans when they walloped Aston Villa 4-1 and Fulham haven't won on their patch since a league cup triumph in 1998. You've got to go back to 1935 to find their last league win here.

With these records in mind, a defeat would be disastrous for Nigel Adkins' men but, if they play like they did against Man United and Villa, at least in an attacking respect, they will certainly get some goals against the ill-travelling Cottagers.

Rickie Lambert has bagged three times with the St Mary's faithful watching on, adapting to Premier League life like the proverbial duck to water. He's the 11/4 favourite to score first in this one, though the 9/1 on offer that he nets with his preferred left peg is the better option of the two.

Goals are one thing Southampton can be relied upon for, win, lose or draw and for there to be more than 2.5 scored here Ladbrokes are offering 4/6 – another great price. Six of the Saints' last eight have gone this way so a repeat of it here is well worth a bet.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/ston-v-fulham-count-on-the-saints-for-a-goal-filled-game_119902.html

WhiteJC

Mark Schwarzer enters his 40s fit, in form and focused on Fulham
The goalkeeper, celebrating a big birthday, discusses ambition, Australia and why Bobby Zamora is wrong about Fulham

Mark Schwarzer insists that Bobby Zamora's assertion that 'the vast majority' of
Fulham players are unhappy with the manager, Martin Jol, has 'no validity at all'.
Photograph: Tom Jenkins for the Observer

Mark Schwarzer knows the day will come when his body screams enough is enough. His limbs will protest as he edges out of bed in the morning, the very thought of venturing into the chill of a winter drizzle to roll around in a muddy goalmouth enough to bring on all the aches and pains associated with the onset of middle age. It is just that, even with wisps of smoke still drifting from the candles on his 40th birthday cake, the Australian remains convinced that moment remains some way off. He still has too much to achieve.

If Saturday was about celebrating becoming a quadragenarian then, at St Mary's this afternoon, Fulham's veteran will fling himself into a Premier League contest with the same vigour that marked his top-flight bow, for Middlesbrough at Sheffield Wednesday back in 1997. This will be his 475th game among England's elite, yet he is still hoping to add significantly to that tally and, in turn, his hundred-plus caps for Australia, having targeted a swansong at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. He is a stalwart of two clubs with whom he has graced Europa League finals but a goalkeeper still chasing the dream of the Champions League. "They say you know when it's time to step aside," he says. "Maybe I will but I've got goals ahead of me. It's all part of the grand plan."

That strategy formulated early. It started back in Richmond, New South Wales, when he turned out for Colo Cougars' under-sevens and the local butcher reminded Schwarzer's mother, Doris, that "soccer is for softies"; or as a 10-year-old when he took up goalkeeping; or at 19 when he first donned the shin pads he has worn for games ever since. But, over a 22-year professional career that has taken him from Marconi Stallions to Teesside, via spells with Dynamo Dresden, Kaiserslautern and Bradford, and into a fifth season at Fulham, Schwarzer remains thirsty for more. Paulo Gazzaniga, who will shake his hand at Southampton today, is half his age but would do well to learn from the softie turned sporting icon in direct opposition.

Longevity has offered Schwarzer a sense of perspective. Nothing seems to faze him, eager as he is to dissect everything from Australia's sporting crisis to gamesmanship or Fulham's summer of upheaval. The London club were in the bottom division when Schwarzer arrived at Valley Parade yet, like the goalkeeper, they are now established in the elite. Even so, there had been flutters of concern when Mousa Dembélé and Clint Dempsey departed for Tottenham Hotspur before the transfer deadline. "The situation was very disruptive," he says. "We played West Ham the day after the window closed and were very poor. The whole thing had unsettled us. But the guys who have come in have helped pick us up. They've all added quality and Dimitar Berbatov has given us something extra. Something we didn't have before.

"Whenever any player comes to the club you wonder if he'll fit in and flourish and if he'll reproduce the form he'd shown previously. But you could see straight away in training that the guy has amazing talent. It was just a matter of how long it would take him to gel with the team and Dimitar's settled in almost instantly and been outstanding: his commitment, his skill and vision on the ball, and the demands he makes of others. The younger players in particular, he's hard with them but also quick to praise them if they do something well. That's something we'd lost.

"We've lacked a bit of that, demanding players to produce at a high level. Berba's developed that attitude at Tottenham and Manchester United, expecting the best from everyone, and he's brought it here. As experienced players, we set the standard. Some would say the young guys get in too easily these days and then get carried away with themselves. It's our job to knock them down a couple of notches sometimes, give them a reality check, to get the best out of them. The whole club has to maintain momentum and evolve the style of football the manager wants. We've been too one-dimensional at times. The manager is changing that."

Others have found that process unacceptable. Bobby Zamora endured a fractious relationship with Martin Jol last season and was one of six high-profile departures from Craven Cottage this calendar year. Last week, while Queens Park Rangers loiter at the foot, the former England striker suggested "the vast majority of players there now" are unhappy with Jol. "Bobby had his issues with the manager and that's why he moved on," says Schwarzer. "If people had a problem with the manager, you wouldn't have seen the successes or the performances we've shown so far this season. It would be impossible to do that. The players are all 100% behind the manager and, as far as I'm concerned, there's no validity to [Zamora's] statement at all."

No other foreign import has played as many Premier League games as Schwarzer. So what had he made of Sergio Agüero's comments after Manchester City's victory at Fulham last Saturday, the Argentinian suggesting domestic referees are more sympathetic to local talent when it comes to players tumbling in the penalty box? "I dive all the time and get nothing for it, so I fully understand what he's on about," says the goalkeeper with a grin. "Seriously, he spoke about the penalty that was given to us [being soft], and that was won by John Arne Riise, so maybe he's got his nationalities a bit mixed up.

"Certain players tend to dive each week more than others and, all of a sudden, that reputation sticks. A lot of the time these guys have got only themselves to blame for having the odd call go against them because they're known for theatrics. I've played against 'foreign' players – I'm not naming names – who call for everything and anything that comes in the box."

Has he not encountered English players going to ground too easily? "To a lesser extent because I don't think it's in their nature. The English mind-set – the Australian's mind-set is very similar – is be hard but be fair. Players from different regions of the world view the game in different ways. Some see it as life and death and will do anything to win. I've played against teams from South America and Asia and some players will do whatever they possibly can to get a result or a decision. If that means cheating, they will. I've seen them. There are different codes of ethics all over the world. We talk about 'fair play' but one could argue some players are countering that by not playing in the spirit of the game."

The goalkeeper experienced gamesmanship first-hand in the second leg of the World Cup play-off in Montevideo in 2001, when Australia were spat at, punched and robbed on arrival. On the evening of the game the rendition of their national anthem began mid-chorus, stopped, restarted and then fizzled out prematurely. The visitors were intimidated and duly overwhelmed. Four years later, again in a play-off, Guus Hiddink's team welcomed Uruguay to Sydney and three opposing players set upon the Socceroos' centre-half, Tony Popovic, in the tunnel. "They knew he was hot-headed and might react. But to see them going for him ... I can't fathom that. I don't know how I'd react if my manager told me: 'Go up to the other goalkeeper, pin him up against a wall and say something about his mother.' I couldn't do it."

Australia prevailed that day, Schwarzer saving penalties from Dario Rodríguez and Marcelo Zalayeta in a shoot-out to propel his country to a first World Cup finals in 32 years. It remains his finest hour, an image of his decisive save engraved in the cut-glass trophy presented to him when he became the first Australian to accrue 100 caps last month. That occasion was in the unlikely setting of Beirut's Saida Municipal stadium in front of a crowd of 9,000, his team-mates wearing training gear with "Schwarzer 100" emblazoned in fluorescent yellow in the warm-up and Lucas Neill tossing him the captain's armband just before kick-off. "To be the first to reach that landmark makes it all the more special," says the veteran, even if that friendly victory was unrepresentative of recent form, with the Socceroos having endured a stumbling start to their World Cup qualifying campaign. "This is a transitional period. The reality is our success hangs on the quality of the players coming through and we need them to step up."

The same could be said for Australian sport in general. Schwarzer enjoyed the Olympic Games this summer as a spectator, spending time at the beach volleyball and in the aquatics centre. His compatriots were expected to claim gold in the men's 4x100m freestyle relay on the night he went, only to finish fourth. To end 10th in the medal table, with only seven golds, felt inadequate. "By our high standards it's a crisis. There's been a really rough patch over the course of the last few years. It's starting to boil a bit. There are a lot of questions to be answered, especially after the Olympics. But when you consider the reality, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

"Look at the implications of funding having been cut back, as it has since Sydney in 2000. At one point during the Olympics, out of all the gold medals that had been won up to then, 18 had been by athletes coached by Australians. So we've exported our best coaches. We've got only ourselves to blame. It's very difficult to demand that success if you're not putting everything in to achieve it. Great Britain, like most host nations, threw a lot of money at it. Results speak for themselves. But it'll be what happens next that is interesting."

The same applies to Schwarzer. The goalkeeper is out of contract next summer, with David Stockdale kicking his heels waiting for a chance to impress, but hopeful he can remain in England. He has his own ambitions: hoisting Fulham firmly into European contention; maybe even gracing the Champions League. That chance looked to have gone when he turned down Bayern Munich and Juventus to move to Craven Cottage in 2008 and again when the club rebuffed Arsenal's inquiries two years ago.

"It's still a dream," he adds. "When I first moved to Fulham I thought it couldn't get any better than this and then you're linked to a club like Arsenal which was very flattering. The club were adamant I wasn't going anywhere and it's nice to be in that situation too. You can never say 'never'. It keeps you on your toes, having that desire in the back of your head. Whatever happens next summer, I'd love to stay in England. All I'm focusing on is playing well for Fulham, winning games, having a good season and qualifying for the World Cup with Australia."

Those are immediate objectives. The aches and pains can wait.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/06/mark-schwarzer-40-focus-fulham?

WhiteJC

Return of the Saint but now he's Bairdinho
Fulham's Mr Versatile is the first of those highly prized academy starlets to return to St Mary's

One bittersweet aspect of Southampton's return to the Premier League was always going to be the chance to welcome back the academy graduates who had to be sold while the Saints were out of the top flight. Today, ahead of Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott and the rest, Chris Baird becomes the first of the old boys to return, making his first appearance at St Mary's since leaving for Fulham in 2007.

Saints supporters who remember the young right-back will now see an experienced Premier League player with a Europa League final under his belt. They may be bemused to hear the Fulham fans sing "We've got Bairdinho" – the chants and a Facebook page a tribute to the likeable Ulsterman who won over the crowd after a difficult start at Craven Cottage.

"I think it came from two goals at Stoke," he said of the Roberto Carlos-style strikes in December 2010. "I was walking off down the tunnel and I heard, 'We've got Bairdinho' and I thought, 'Fair enough, I'll take that.' It's nice to hear the fans shouting for me. They've been terrific for us and we want to reward them with another good season."

Baird, 30, was signed from Southampton by Lawrie Sanchez, who managed him in a Northern Ireland team that had taken some notable scalps, including Sven Goran Eriksson's England in 2005. He had been Saints' player of the season, and though he had experienced relegation, he had good memories, such as the 2003 FA Cup final against Arsenal. "It was only my second start," he said. "I was happy just to be in the squad in Cardiff, and when Gordon Strachan named the team I couldn't believe it. I was disappointed we lost, obviously, but with 30,000 Saints fans, the scene was amazing. Thierry Henry just beat me to man of the match, but I think I got it from our players and fans.

"It was a hard decision to leave Saints but I'm happy to be here [at Fulham], although I didn't think I still would be after that first season. I played only 20 games, and the majority of them weren't good. The fans got on my back, and I can under-stand that. But I'm not one to give up. I wanted to show them, and prove to Roy [Hodgson], the new manager, that I could make it in the Premier League. I got my head down, worked hard and turned things around."

Baird is Fulham's third longest-serving player, and arguably the most versatile. He has played in central defence as well as at full-back, and is now a holding midfielder in Martin Jol's entertainingly remodelled side.

"It all started when Roy came in and we had injuries and suspensions. He was looking at the fringe players, which included me at the time, and seeing if they could do a job. Luckily I could step into roles across the back four and in central midfield – even at Southampton injuries forced me to play at centre-half, so I got to know the position. It's just nice to play, to be honest. We've got players who can hurt teams – Dimitar Berbatov is one of the best I've played with – and I'm glad to be part of it."

Baird has had plenty of managers to impress – six at Southampton, four at Fulham. But while the turnover at St Mary's led to relegation, Baird praises Hodgson – who tried to sign him for West Bromwich Albion in January – Mark Hughes and Jol for maintaining stability at Fulham. "We were doing well at Southampton, consistent in the League, but there were manager changes and players coming and going, and relegation happened, then administration.

"Whoever has come in at Fulham has seen the good things we can do and stuck with them. Mark was terrific, and Martin is similar. Training is good, we're playing well, we fin-ished ninth, in the top half again."

He hopes Fulham will be in the top half after today's game. "I had a fantastic time at Southampton and I'm really looking forward to it," he said. "I always followed them, even when they were down in League One, and I was glad to see them coming back up to where they should be.

"I don't know what the reception is going to be like today – OK, I hope. I've still got friends there, my wife's a Southampton girl, I had my first daughter there, her mum and dad are big fans. He wants a Saints win but me to score. But I'm a Fulham player now and I want the three points."

Southampton v Fulham is on Sky Sports 1 today, kick-off 1.30pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/return-of-the-saint-but-now-hes-bairdinho-8200703.html

WhiteJC

Trap's strange talk of Duff return baffles Kelly

Stephen Kelly has described Giovanni Trapattoni's repeated talk of coaxing Damien Duff out of retirement as "strange" and said it needs to be "nipped in the bud".

Kelly, a team-mate of Duff's at Fulham, admitted to being surprised at the talk from the Ireland manager as he was aware of how content Duff was with his decision to retire.

"Every interview I do, people keep asking me about it and it's more coming from the fact that the manager's talking about it," Kelly said in an interview with the Sunday Independent.

"As far as I'm concerned, Damien's retired. He's a really good friend of mine and he's made the decision for himself and for his family. I think it's strange that they keep going on about it. Not the media. The media keep going on about it because the manager's talking about it. I think it's strange that the manager and staff keep bringing it up. If they have any private conversations with Damien just leave it at that. I think it should be nipped in the bud. The speculation is ridiculous and it's been dragged on for no reason."

Trapattoni has been quieter on the subject since the Oman game last month. Before that, he repeatedly hinted that Duff might be talked out of retirement to face Germany. Duff retired with 100 caps in August and has never given an indication he might change his mind.

"I don't think the manager is privy to any more information than I would be," Kelly added.

"If Damien is going to come back, he's not going to make a big song and dance about it, that's not him but you can see he's happy with his decision. He will do it if he thinks it's right and at the moment obviously he doesn't think it is."

Kelly also expressed his frustration at not playing at all at the European Championships but said, unlike Darron Gibson, that he has never considered not turning up for Ireland. "Darron didn't play when he was over there, that's the manager's prerogative. But there's a lot of us in that position, I think I'm in it more than anyone. I felt I played a huge part in the game that got us to the Euros in Tallinn. I've given a lot to the team. To be perfectly honest, if anyone is to feel aggrieved at not playing, I think I have the strongest case. It's not through my lack of conviction that I'm not annoyed. Of course I am. But the way I see it is, if you don't turn up, you can't play and the only way I'm going to get to play for my country is if I'm there."

Kelly will join up with the Ireland squad this week as Trapatonni faces an injury crisis in defence. Sean St Ledger is unlikely to play having suffered a hamstring injury playing for Leicester City yesterday. He will, however, report to the Irish team hotel tomorrow and will undergo a scan. Richard Dunne is already out with a long-term injury.

James McClean, who tweeted his dissatisfaction at not playing in Kazakhstan, complained of a tight groin after Sunderland's defeat to Manchester City. He will have a scan at his club tomorrow.

Kevin Doyle withdrew yesterday after he picked up an injury in training for Wolves. Robbie Brady, who went off with an injury during Manchester United's under 21 match last Monday, joined David Meyler as a late addition to the squad.

- DION FANNING

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/traps-strange-talk-of-duff-return-baffles-kelly-3251517.html

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL: SELLING CLINT DEMPSEY & MOUSSA DEMBELE HAS COST FULHAM TOP SIX FINISH

MARTIN JOL had been dreaming of a top-six finish for Fulham just a few weeks ago.

Then transfer deadline day came along to shatter those ambitions and leave the Craven Cottage boss more concerned about Premier League survival than gate-crashing Europe.

For Jol admits the loss of two star performers in the final 48 hours of the summer window – as Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele both uprooted for Spurs – has forced a total rethink.

The Dutch coach, whose side have taken nine points from a possible 18, said: "I have to be honest – that transfer window was the worst ever because I really hoped to keep my best players.

"We beat Norwich five-nil in the first game of the season and I thought this is my best squad.

"I also knew Dimitar Berbatov was on the fringes and felt, if we add him, we can go for the top six.

"I really thought that. But then in a couple of days it all changed. I can't say I relished the situation at all. I was very frustrated.

"Now the aim is for us to get to forty points as quickly as possible.

"It may sound obvious but that's the target – and I think it is the same focus for another 12 clubs in the league."

Today's opponents Southampton are definitely among that group, having won just once since securing promotion back into the big time.

Yet Jol wonders why so many pundits have been so quick to write off the south coast club's chances of beating the drop given their massive close-season spending spree.

Ahead of the trip to St Mary's, the ex-Spurs coach added: "Jealousy I leave to others but sometimes you feel it if people talk about surviving in the league.

"Jay Rodriguez to Southampton was probably seven million pounds and Gaston Ramirez was twelve million.

"Last season, Fulham spent ten million in instalments on David Ruiz and one or two other players – and we still did well.

"The only thing I can do is look in the mirror and be pleased – but if other people don't see it, then what can I do about it?"

"It's more difficult to get recognition at a club like Fulham.

"Everybody tells me we need to be in the top ten still – even now that Dembele and Dempsey, who was our top scorer, have left the club.

"But I just keep quiet and keep my mouth shut – like other people should do – and work hard."

That last stinging comment was almost certainly aimed at Bobby Zamora following his latest outburst about his unhappy time at the club under Jol.

The QPR striker, who left Fulham in acrimonious fashion in January, claimed last week that few of his former ­team-mates actually like or get on with Jol.

But the Craven Cottage boss hit back, saying: "Anybody else can say what he wants. But I think the attitude of the players here is great.

"I still feel my team wants to give everything.

"I just try to be myself and for most of the players that is enough. And if it is not enough then I don't care!"

Jol knows that Saints will not be any pushovers, either, particularly with Rickie Lambert in attack.

"He is probably one of the best target men we've got in England," said Jol.

"He is very dangerous with crosses, especially at the far post.

"If you see their line-up and if you are capable as a club of getting the likes of Ramirez, then you're heading in the right direction."

• FULHAM yesterday signed Senegal midfielder Mickael Tavares, 29, who was released by Hamburg in the summer.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/275880/Martin-Jol-selling-Clint-Dempsey-Moussa-Dembele-has-cost-Fulham-top-six-finish/?

WhiteJC

In It Together

Martin Jol was full of praise for the harmony he sees in his squad as they prepare for Sunday afternoon's clash with Southampton at St Mary's.

"What I've seen over the last year, it's about togetherness, it's about team building," he explained. "I think the attitude of my players is great, it's fantastic. If you see the nucleus of my team, which was there of course before I came, I changed the philosophy a bit but I still feel that they want to give everything.

"I want to stay true to myself. If I want to improve someone then I will say what I've got on my mind to try to improve them as a player. But, of course, it's not easy because they are very insecure and vulnerable because it's a high-profile job that they've got.

"For me, the most important thing is results and development of my team and I think it was a big challenge last year and everyone has to agree that we did well. We got more points than we have in almost any other year, combined with playing in Europe, so I was pretty happy."

There have been considerable personnel changes during Jol's tenure at the Cottage but the Dutchman is pleased with how things are working out.

"I feel that under the top four or five, maybe six [teams in the Barclays Premier League] now, there is still a lot to be gained with philosophy, vision, methods, and I feel that is what we do here at Fulham," our Manager said.

"It was so totally new when we played with my new midfield; without Dempsey, without Dembele, without Diarra, without Danny Murphy. Chris Baird came in and we had more touches than all of the other games last year so that means that we still have our culture. If you look at teams like Arsenal then I think the culture will always pull you through and I think we will do well with that."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/07/in-it-together?

WhiteJC

Jol's war chest

MARTIN JOL admits Fulham cannot match the big-money transfers of today's opponents Southampton.

But the Fulham boss is sure he will not have to ask owner Mohamed Fayed to release funds for the January transfer window.

Jol revealed: "He said before the season you can spend the same amount as last year and we sold for over £30million and only bought for £8m.

"So I am 100 per cent certain he knows there is a lot in the kitty.

"People talk about surviving in the league and look at Southampton, Jay Rodriguez was probably £7m and Ramirez was £12m.

"Whereas Fulham spent £10m in instalments with Bryan Ruiz and one or two other players and we still did well."

The Dutchman is realistic about Fulham's chances this season after seeing top players exit Craven Cottage in the summer.

Among the high-profile departures were Mousa Dembele, Dickson Etuhu, Danny Murphy and Clint Dempsey.

He added: "This transfer window was probably the worst ever because I really thought I would keep my best players besides Clint Dempsey.

"I knew Dimitar Berbatov was on the fringes and thought if I can add him maybe we can go for the top six.

"Then in a couple of days it all changed. I was quite frustrated.

"Everybody tells me that we need to be in the top 10 even when Dembele and Dempsey have gone.

"The only thing I can do is keep my mouth shut and work hard."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4575967/Martin-Jol-Theres-20million-in-my-Fulham-war-chest.html#ixzz28b10bvua