more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (08/10/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 08, 2012, 04:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Looking Back

Chris Baird returns to Southampton on Sunday for the first time since his exit from the club in 2007.

The dependable Northern Irishman, who has performed solidly in midfield for the Whites this term, joined Southampton's fabled academy in 1998.

Utilised mainly at right-back, the youngster would go on to play 68 times in the league for the Saints. Incredibly, his second start for the club came in the 2003 FA Cup Final against Arsenal.

"I was happy just to be in the squad in Cardiff," the 30-year-old mused. "And when Gordon Strachan named the team, I couldn't believe it. I was disappointed we lost, obviously, but with 30,000 Saints fans, the scene was amazing. Thierry Henry just beat me to Man of the Match – but I think I got it from our players and fans."

Southampton were relegated at the end of the 2004/05 season, but Baird stuck with the South Coast club until Fulham came calling in July 2007.

He returns to St Mary's an established Barclays Premier League star, with over 100 appearances for the Whites to his name.

It took him a while to find his feet in SW6, however.

"It was a hard decision to leave Saints, but I'm happy to be here, although I didn't think I still would be after that first season," said Baird. "I played only 20 games, and the majority of them weren't good. The fans got on my back, and I can understand that. But I'm not one to give up. I wanted to show them, and prove to Roy [Hodgson], the new manager, that I could make it in the Premier League. I got my head down, worked hard and turned things around."

He certainly did, and is now a firm favourite with the Cottage fans, who gave him the nickname 'Bairdinho'.

"I think it came from two goals at Stoke City [in December 2010]," he said. "I was walking off down the tunnel and I heard 'We've got Bairdinho' and I thought: 'Fair enough, I'll take that.' It's nice to hear the fans shouting for me. They've been terrific for us and we want to reward them with another good season."

Now Fulham's third longest-serving player, Baird has been deployed in central defence, full-back and midfield during his time at the Cottage,

"It all started when Roy came in and we had injuries and suspensions," said Baird. "He was looking at the fringe players on the bench, which included me at the time, and seeing if they could do a job. Luckily I could step into roles across the back four and in central midfield - even at Southampton injuries forced me to play at centre-half, so I got to know the position.

"It's just nice to play, to be honest. We've got players who can hurt teams – Dimitar Berbatov is one of the best I've played with - and I'm glad to be part of it."

On his return to St Mary's, he added: "I had a fantastic time at Southampton, and I'm really looking forward to it. I always followed them, even when they were down in League One and I was glad to see them coming back up to where they should be.

"I've still got friends there, my wife's a Southampton girl, I had my first daughter there, her Mum and Dad are big fans. He's going for a Saints win but for me to score. But I'm a Fulham player now and I want the three points."

Baird was talking to the Independent on Sunday's Nick Szczepanik.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/07/looking-back?

WhiteJC

Honest Jol Loving Life At Fulham
by LRCN on OCTOBER 7, 2012

Martin Jol has guided Fulham excellently and excitingly during a rocky transitional period

Part of what makes Martin Jol such a wonderful fit for Fulham Football Club – besides his attractive style of play – is his personality. Refreshingly honest, Jol has a penchant for dry humour and subtle jibes more common on these shores than the ones in his native Netherlands, and has a way of connecting with fans that previous managers have perhaps struggled to do as well as being very intelligent. All in all, Jol is just a very likable person, and his interview in today's Sunday Times just serves to reassure that. Replicated in full below – The Times Online is subscription only – it reads superbly and Jol discusses all manner of Fulham subjects. He also says he isn't sure if we 'love' him yet; let's put that right at Southampton today eh!

(with thanks to a nameless poster on TiFF)

LRCN

When he first arrived in the capital, to coach Spurs, Chigwell was home. "And I thought Chigwell was Hollywood," he grins. "Of course it isn't, but it's like the song: London is the place to be." Now, with Marit, his daughter, and Nicole, his wife, Martin Jol rents a farmhouse near Esher on Henry VIII's former hunting estate. There are deer in the woods and idyllic views. "It's the best area. People are nice, it's almost the city but still green.

"Sometimes I go to Richmond — Keith Richards and all those people living on the Thames. It's unbelievable. If you're here for five years you can ask for an English passport and I think about doing that," Jol jokes. "That's how I feel."

He enthuses equally about Fulham. "The academy's fantastic, champions of England. The chairman, he's the best. He said one thing to me, 'Here are the keys.' Actually Alistair [Mackintosh, Fulham's chief executive] has the keys but that's okay because he's very clever at his job."

So, love is all around. Well, not quite. There's something nagging at Jol, a feeling that, 16 months since arriving, despite being Fulham's most successful modern manager (statistically), despite blooding youngsters, overseeing vibrant football, revamping an ageing squad at a net transfer profit of £10m, he's not accepted in every corner of Craven Cottage.

"I get on with the people here. The only thing is this is an old-school place. Sometimes I still don't feel all the supporters are behind me. It's my weakness. I get too involved. It gnaws at me if some aren't proud of me or take me here." He pats his heart. "I'm a fighter and want everyone behind the cause."

There's veneration of the players Roy Hodgson led to the Europa League final in 2010; regret that many are gone. Jol understands that, but feels it's time to move on. "Bobby Zamora scored five [league] goals the year before I came. Under me . . . he scored five goals. One year he scored eight goals, the most in his life [in the Premier League]. And everyone's happy. But that's Fulham.

"Other strikers scored four goals between them. People feel, because it was in the paper, I let all these star players go. But they don't realise that for all these star players, who scored four goals and five goals, I got players like [Dimitar] Berbatov from Manchester United. Mladen Petric, 44 caps for Croatia, one of the most reliable players I've seen. [John Arne] Riise, [Mahamadou] Diarra. [Bryan] Ruiz. Sascha Riether. Maybe we're a bit better now? But maybe I'm wrong.

"Everyone thinks it's a big transformation but it was a natural process. The older players wanted long deals and we couldn't afford that with everyone. And if your club wants to be top 10, you need strikers such as Darren Bent, who'll score 15-20 goals a season. We haven't had that since Louis Saha but now we've Berbatov and Petric."

He wanted to keep Danny Murphy ("one of the best five No 4s in England over the past five years") but Blackburn offered a longer contract. He fought — unrealistically, he now accepts — to retain Clint Dempsey, who had Champions League dreams. Andy Johnson and Dickson Etuhu left with his best wishes. The only beef was Zamora, who upset many inside Fulham (not just the manager) last week by declaring the "vast majority of players" don't like Jol.

"Only Bobby really wanted to go. He doesn't like the press. He told me, 'I hate fans'. Obviously, he didn't like me. A technical thing: after two weeks I said, 'Bobby, I need you in the box to get on the end of crosses'. He said, 'I hate crosses'. So he hated the fans, he hated the press, he hated crosses, he hated me. I thought, 'What can I do?'

"Berbatov isn't here because Fulham's on the Thames. Nor Petric, Diarra, the others. They came because they knew me. Maybe, despite what Bobby says, there is a little advantage I'm here."

Evidence he benefits at least some of the old guard, as seen in Damien Duff's resurgence. "Four per cent body fat, it's almost unnatural. The best professional I've ever seen," Jol marvels. Berbatov can be transformative. Magisterial in his two Fulham starts, wins over West Brom and Wigan, he's 50:50 to return from injury for the match at Southampton today.

"We needed a signing like that. Because the big players already here, like Brede [Hangeland] or Mark Schwarzer, saw Dempsey, [Moussa] Dembele go, and thought, 'What? Aren't we ambitious?'

"I remember coming on the team bus and Charlie Nicholas was saying on TV, 'Yeah, Berbatov, different class'. Everyone on the bus was cheering. At another club, players would feel jealousy. I knew, then, Berba would work out just fine because the other players would accept him as The Man . . . He's not The Man, of course, because he's quiet!"

Jol, who first brought him to the Premier League when he moved to Spurs from Bayer Leverkusen, doesn't see Berbatov as the enigma other managers describe.

"The thing you've got to understand is even when he's happy, he doesn't always look it. His body language . . . but I know him.

"Berba's no extrovert. But he loves people, you know? Like him, I can be quite introverted. If you're my friend I'm totally different than with someone I know won't like me. He has some of my mentality so I say, 'Come into the office, Berba, let's talk'."

Berbatov has played as No 10 behind Hugo Rodallega, who was signed from Wigan in July, but Jol envisaged him as a No 9 in the 4-3-3 he was moving towards, before Dempsey and Dembele departed. "I've had to take a step back with my style and play 4-4-2 again, because we lack midfield numbers. I've mixed feelings.

"We had a good team last year, the first time Fulham had more than 50 points while also playing in Europe. I thought, with Berbatov, top seven. Then . . . bang . . . Spurs paid the release fee for Dembele [£15m] and got Dempsey. Now we're rebuilding again.

"Someone said, 'You've got the top six, then Everton and Fulham'. I thought, 'Really?!' If you look at Stoke, with six strikers, Aston Villa, West Ham, QPR, Sunderland spending . . . how can you say Fulham should be top 10?"

Yet he adds: "I still feel outside of the top four, vision, philosophy, a bit of luck, development, good scouting, can make the difference."

A dream for Jol is opening a gallery for his 350 paintings. Recently, he was in Leipzig on a buying trip. He has collected from New York, Canada and Vienna. The gallery would be in London. "I'm 56, it's time to settle."

Does that mean staying at Fulham? "I'd love to. And my missus would. But I'm too sensitive for this business," he smiles.

He means he's not counting chickens. Fulham plan contract extension talks but after leaving Spurs and Hamburg despite overseeing both clubs' best seasons in 25 years, he's cautious. Which brings us back to his unease.

Everton were hailed for finishing seventh last season. Fulham were joint-eighth with Liverpool but nobody seemed to notice. "I like to be recognised," Jol admits. "That's why I'm a sportsman.

"I work not only for money but because I want people to see me and my club are doing well. When I was in Waalwijk, at my first club, they named a street after me," he adds wistfully. "Is it a nice street? No. But never mind."

Striking sums add up for Jol

Martin Jol has done the maths and knows what he needs to succeed. He says: 'To finish in the top 10, you need 50 goals. We've lost our top scorer, Clint Dempsey, who got 17 last season, but I know Berbatov can score 14-15, Petric 10 and Rodallega can score seven or eight.'Mladen Petric: averaged 10 league goals/season in five years in Bundesliga.Dimitar Berbatov, left: averaged 14 goals/season in five PL years (not counting 2011-12 when, restricted mostly to substitute appearances, he still scored seven in 12 games).Hugo Rodallega: averaged seven goals/season in his three full seasons for Wigan.Bobby Zamora hit two, eight, five and five goals in his 3½ seasons with Fulham (20 league goals in 91 appearances) while Andy Johnson, in three complete seasons, scored seven, three and three.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/10/honest-jol-loving-life-at-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Target - Hangeland

One Sunday red-top is using our current central defender crisis to suggest we could be recruiting come January.

With Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Nemanja Vidic all side-lined with injuries and with Jonny Evans in and out with a recurring dead-leg, thee inference is that Sir Alex Ferguson is looking towards Craven Cottage with a view to bringing Brede Hangeland to Old Trafford.

The red-top accepts that the tall Norwegian is no spring-chicken, at 31, but reckons his Premier League experience makes him the ideal candidate to do a decent job for Manchester United.

Could they be right?

Read more: http://www.manchesterunited.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=295865#ixzz28fsjlL5R

WhiteJC

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer says the players have no problem with manager Martin Jol

Mark Schwarzer: Insists Fulham's players do not have an issue with Martin Jol

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer insists he and his team-mates are '100 per cent' behind manager Martin Jol despite the claims of Bobby Zamora this week.

Zamora, who left the Cottagers in January to join Queens Park Rangers after reports the striker fell out with his manager over his lack of game time, claimed earlier this week he was not the only one to have an issue with the Dutch boss.

But experienced keeper Schwarzer, who has been at Craven Cottage since 2008, insists Fulham would not have been able to claim their three wins from six Premier League games so far this season if the players were not on Jol's side.

He told The Observer: "Bobby had his issues with the manager and that's why he moved on.

"If people had a problem with the manager, you wouldn't have seen the successes or the performances we've shown so far this season. It would be impossible to do that.

"The players are all 100% behind the manager and, as far as I'm concerned, there's no validity to [Zamora's] statement at all."

Jol strengthened his attacking options in the summer with the signing of Dimitar Berbatov from Manchester United and Schwarzer believes the Bulgarian has already made a big impact both on the pitch and in the dressing room.

"Whenever any player comes to the club you wonder if he'll fit in and flourish and if he'll reproduce the form he'd shown previously. But you could see straight away in training that the guy has amazing talent," said the keeper.

Outstanding
"It was just a matter of how long it would take him to gel with the team and Dimitar's settled in almost instantly and been outstanding: his commitment, his skill and vision on the ball, and the demands he makes of others. The younger players in particular, he's hard with them but also quick to praise them if they do something well. That's something we'd lost.

"We've lacked a bit of that, demanding players to produce at a high level. Berba's developed that attitude at Tottenham and Manchester United, expecting the best from everyone, and he's brought it here."

Schwarzer turned 40 on Saturday but the Australia international is not yet thinking about hanging up his gloves and insists he still has targets in mind, including helping his country qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

"They say you know when it's time to step aside," said the keeper. "Maybe I will but I've got goals ahead of me. It's all part of the grand plan.

He added: "Whatever happens next summer, I'd love to stay in England.

"All I'm focusing on is playing well for Fulham, winning games, having a good season and qualifying for the World Cup with Australia."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8145646?

WhiteJC

Young Striker Tracked

Glancing through the Sunday press, it appears that Fulham are keen on a young striker.

Dwight Gayle, a former Arsenal trainee, is currently scoring fro fun for Dagenham and Redbridge and Fulham are amongst a trio of clubs said to be interested in taking the lad to a higher level, with West Ham United and Reading also believed to be monitoring the situation.

We`ll report further if any more information becomes known.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=295873#ixzz28ftPTcG5

WhiteJC

Southampton 2 Fulham 2: Fonte earns point in injury time... but Jol cries foul

Fulham manager Martin Jol was forced to bite his lip after Sunday's draw at Southampton. With victory seemingly within the visitors' grasp, Jose Fonte hit an added-time equaliser for the hosts to leave Jol deflated.

The Dutchman felt Saints defender Maya Yoshida had fouled Giorgios Karagounis just seconds before referee Mark Clattenburg awarded the hosts the decisive free-kick which led to their late equaliser.

Jol said: 'It was 100 per cent a free-kick for us. I know because I thought to myself, "Now we are fine. Now we've got the ball and the pressure has gone".

Heading home: Jose Fonte scores his second goal for Southampton

'But the referee didn't see it and two seconds later it is a free kick for them. It happens, but if it did not happen then they would not have scored.

'Did the decision  ultimately cost us three points? Yes. But if you say something in  England because you get fined and get in trouble.

'Of course I've got good wages but I don't want to pay these sort of fines. But everyone knows exactly what happened.'

However, wWhen he reflects on things looking back this morning, Jol may feel a little happier with the point given that his side were forced to come from a goal down at St Mary's.

Fulham were dealt a double injury blow before the game on the morning of Sunday's clash when attacking duo Dimitar Berbatov and Mladen Petric both failed late fitness tests.

And things got worse the troubles quickly grew for Jol when Southampton took the lead in the raced into a fourth minute.

Fonte's deft, looping header from Adam Lallana's corner arrowed beyond Mark Schwarzer and Aaron Hughes' attempted headed clearance before  bouncing off the bar and into the back of net.

All smiles: Kieran Richardson celebrates after scoring for Fulham

Delight: John Arne Riise celebrates after his shot is turned into his own net by Jos Hooiveld

Four minutes later Frazer  Richardson was carried off on a stretcher with a torn thigh  muscle and was replaced by Jos Hooiveld. But the enforced change did not break the home side's stride as they searched for a second goal.

Rickie Lambert went close before Jason Puncheon had the ball in the net in the 23rd minute — but the effort, which came from a Danny Fox corner, was ruled out for a foul on Schwarzer.

Heading in: Aaron Hughes can't prevent a Jose Fonte's effort from creeping into the net

The Australian keeper was then forced into an excellent save from Lambert five minutes before the break after fine build up play for by Puncheon.

And Southampton, with only one Premier League victory so far this season, would live to rue regret their missed first-half chances as Fulham laid siege to the hosts' goal after the break.

Steve Sidwell struck the post after connecting with sent a his close-range effort after Bryan Ruiz's inswinging free-kick in the 60th minute onto the post before striker Hugo Rodallega saw an instinctive header expertly saved by Paulo Gazzaniga.

Celebrations: Jose Fonte with Southampton fans on Sunday

But Jol's side did not have to wait too l long to level as John Arne Riise saw his drive from the edge of the box from Sascha Riether's low cross deflect off Hooiveld and past Gazzaniga in the 69th minute.

And the visitors thought they had snatched all three points in the 88th minute when substitute Kieran Richardson slammed home another Riether  cross.

But, thanks to Clattenburg, Fonte headed home an injury-time equaliser from Fox's corner after the referee awarded a free kick against Giorgios Karagounis.

Going close: Rickie Lambert sees his shot saved by Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer

Nigel Adkins, the Southampton manager, said: 'I was disappointed with our second half performance. I felt that we went too deep in the closing stages and invited pressure on.

'That is not what we wanted the players to do but that is  what happens.

'We left it far too open for the opposition — that was why we decided to bring off Rickie  Lambert and Jason Puncheon late on.

'We can now re-group during the international break and  analysis e how we can go forward. Four points is better than none and we've had a tough start to the season.'

My ball: Danny Fox clashes with Fulham's Damian Duff

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2214107/Southampton-2-Fulham-2-Jose-Fonte-rescues-point-Saints.html#ixzz28ftzaOSi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Southampton 2 Fulham 2: Saints grab late equaliser in thrilling encounter

Southampton boss Nigel Adkins stressed the need for positivity, from fans and players alike, in his programme notes yesterday.

In that spirit he commended his team's first-half display, was pleased at further proof of their ability to score goals in the top flight, and praised their character in rallying to salvage a last-minute draw.

However, positivity must be tempered with realism and he admitted games like this need to be won if Southampton are to back up their successive promotions by consolidating in the Premier League. And he knows that while Saints may be scoring at this level they are also conceding: 20 times in seven games to date.

"We have conceded too many goals," said Adkins. "We have to defend as a team. We pressed well in the first-half but we dropped off in the second, the game became too open and that allowed Fulham to play."

As a consequence Jose Fonte's fourth-minute goal was overhauled in the last quarter by two from Fulham, a Jos Hooiveld own goal and Kieren Richardson's first for the club. A third home defeat in four league games loomed, then Fonte rose again to equalise in the last minute.

Martin Jol was unhappy that Fulham had not been given a free-kick in the build-up to that goal but limited his criticism of referee Mark Clattenburg to: "It was 100 per cent a free-kick, it was as if he didn't see it." His restraint was, he said, "because you cannot say anything in England, you get fined. I get good wages but I don't want to pay a fine."

Jol's players had begun as if still digesting a Sunday roast enabling Saints to force a succession of corners, none of them defended convincingly. Eventually Adam Lallana dipped one over Hugo Rodallega at the near post and Fonte looped a header into the top corner of the back post.

Saints continued to look the better side but spurned several chances to increase their lead before the break. Rickie Lambert rolled a carefully side-footed shot wide after a slick passing move. Sasha Riether cleared off the line from Jason Puncheon after another Lallana corner had unsettled Fulham. And Puncheon picked out Lambert at the far post only for Saint's leading scorer to blast his shot at Mark Schwarzer.

It seemed inconceivable that Fulham could play as badly after the break but Southampton initially maintained their control. On the hour, though, Fulham stirred. In a burst of concerted pressure Steve Sidwell hit the post, Paulo Gazzaniga saved a point-blank header by Rodallega, and Maya Yoshida blocked another effort by the Colombian with his arm. It wold have been a harsh penalty as Yoshida's arm was by his side and the contact seemed inadvertent.

In an attempt to close the game down Adkins, to home supporters' displeasure, replaced the misfiring Lambert with Guly Do Prado. But the Brazilian had barely got into the game when Fulham levelled after the hapless Hooiveld turned an off-target shot by John Arne Riise into his own net.

It seemed there could be only one winner from then on and though Richardson drove over from one Riether cross he impressively converted the overlapping right-back's next delivery. Game over, surely, but in the final minute of normal time Dan Fox swung in a deep free-kick and Fonte spoiled Schwarzer's 40th birthday weekend.

Showing the positivity Adkins will need this season he summed up: "We showed great character. At 1-0 it was two points lost, but from 1-2 it was a point gained."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/southampton-2-fulham-2-saints-grab-late-equaliser-in-thrilling-encounter-8201049.html

WhiteJC

Late Southampton leveller denies Fulham the win

Southampton 2-2 Fulham

FULHAM had to settle for a point after a dramatic finale in which Kieran Richardson's first Whites goal had looked likely to be the winner – only for Jose Fonte to head in his second to make it 2-2.

There were just two minutes left when former Manchester United midfielder Richardson (pictured) stole into the area to rattle in a low cross from Sascha Riether – the ball deflecting off a defender to beat keeper Paulo Gazzaniga.

With a packed away end in full celebratory mode, and home fans heading for the exits, Fonte got in between Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes to deflect a free-kick into the net at the far post for a 90th minute heart-breaker. Fulham felt they should have had a free-kick of their own in the build-up.

The Whites had recovered well from conceding an early goal – and a wobbly first half in general – to claim a deserved share of the spoils at St Mary's.

They struggled to cope with a set piece bombardement before the break, but posed far more problems in the second half – even if it needed an own goal from defender Jos Hooiveld to cancel out a Fonte header.

The Whites had barely had time to get their bearings before they found themselves a goal down.

Adam Lallana's inswinging corner was just perfect for Fonte on the edge of the six-yard box and a looping header beat a backtracking Aaron Hughes for height at the far post.

It could very easily have been 2-0 in the 18th minute, when a sweet move caught Fulham flat-footed. Lallana fed Jay Rodriguez in the inside left channel and a pull-back offered up a glorious opportunity for Rickie Lambert, which the striker sidefooted wide.

Then, Riether had to clear off the line after another corner caused mayhem in the Whites' six yard box, and Jason Puncheon had a 'goal' ruled out for an infringement at another flag kick.

Mark Schwarzer, a day after his 40th birthday, had to be alert to get down at his near post when Lambert had another chance before the half was out.

It was not as if Fulham failed to venture into the opposition half though, and they forced set pieces of their own. But without either of the injured pair Dimitar Berbatov or Mladen Petric available, there was a lack of incisiveness up front.

Hugo Rodallega almost scampered onto a long ball from deep, but parity at the break would have been undeserved.

There was much more purpose about Fulham after the interval and Ruiz started to look more of a threat.

From one of his free-kicks, Steve Sidwell almost ghosted in to score at the far post – the ball coming back off a post – and Rodallega had a close-range volley blocked following another clever Ruiz floater.

Their greater aggression found reward when Riether charged down the right flank to play a perefct ball across the area to John Arne Riise.

The Norwegian, still seeking his first goal in Fulham colours - struck hard and low, but the ball was going wide until Hooveld obligingly diverted the ball into the roof of the net.

It was a goal that, in the event, set up a breathless conclusion.

Line-up: Schwarzer; Riether, Hangeland, Hughes, Riise; Duff, Sidwell (Karagounis 70), Baird, Kacaniklic (Richardon 66); Ruiz, Rodallega. Subs not used: Stockdale, Kelly, Senderos, Kasami, Briggs.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/10/07/82029-31984532/?#ixzz28fvVqlGB

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Martin Jol rues Southampton's 'harsh' equaliser at St Mary's

Fulham manager Martin Jol believes Southampton's last-minute equaliser to force a 2-2 draw was harsh on his team.

The Cottagers looked to have come from behind to win when Kieran Richardson forced home Sascha Riether's cross to give the visitors the lead at St Mary's with minutes remaining.

But Jose Fonte headed in his second goal of the game to salvage a point for Saints and Jol thought that was tough on his team despite them being outplayed before the interval.

"It was harsh," Jol told Sky Sports. "When it's extra time and you concede an equaliser it's always harsh.

"But if you take into consideration the first half when we couldn't play our football in midfield and couldn't get the ball to our quality - we didn't play with quality.

"Second half we were much better. And we put them under pressure - scored two goals. But yes it's always disappointing when you concede two goals off two set-plays."

Asked what he had said to his players at the break to inspire the turnaround, Jol said: "I felt we're known by playing football; by our quality; by trying our philosophy and earning the right to play.

"It was almost like we were worried to play our football. (But) I'm not worried!

"It's not bad to have a point but we should have had three."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8146354?

WhiteJC

Richardson: My silly mistake cost Fulham victory

Fulham star Kieran Richardson has admitted responsibility for his side not beating Southampton at St Mary's.

The left-sided player had netted what looked to be a winner for the Cottagers, after coming on as a substitute, but moments later he gave away a free-kick with Jose Fonte making the scoreline 2-2 from Danny Fox's set piece.

And Richardson, a summer signing from Sunderland, revealed he regrets his rash foul but hopes to learn from his error.

"We deserved to win," he said after the match. "It was a silly mistake from me to give the free-kick away and it led to their goal.

"It was a free-kick but before that we should have had a free-kick for [a foul on] Karagounis but the referee didn't see it. It was a bit of frustration from me.

"A player of my experience should have dealt with that situation quicker. I'll learn from that and hopefully we can win the next game."

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/121007/richardson-my-silly-mistake-cost-fulham-victory-182587?#QU47tpd0cTjpe7wL.99

WhiteJC

Jol rues Fulham's first-half display in Southampton draw
The Dutch coach bemoaned his team's showing in the opening 45 minutes but praised his side's resilience despite their failure to hold on to their 2-1 lead late in the game

Fulham manager Martin Jol bemoaned his side's first-half performance after the Cottagers' 2-2 draw against Southampton at St. Mary's.

Jol's team were denied all three points after Saints defender Jose Fonte headed in his second goal of the day in stoppage time just minutes after Kieran Richardson had given Fulham the lead.

The Dutch coach was happy with his side's application in the second period but was still frustrated with the first-half showing that left them trailing 1-0 after Fonte scored his first goal in the early stages.

"I wasn't pleased with the first or second goal but I was very pleased with the resilience and the character and the mental strength," Jol told Sky Sports.

"Although we were a bit worried in midfield to play, we didn't play, we did better in the second half.

"We stood up and played like we always did before. We put them under pressure and my best players in the second half had the ball – Bryan Ruiz, Giorgos Karagounis, and we played football."

The Fulham chief was also left frustrated by a number of decisions made by referee Mark Clattenburg, with Southampton's equaliser coming after what Jol felt was a questionable free-kick that was awarded to the hosts.

"The ref acted as if he did not see it," he complained. "And then two seconds later it was a free-kick to them. But OK, that happens and of course, if it doesn't they wouldn't have scored."

Striker Dimitar Berbatov was left out of Fulham's squad after struggling with a hip injury but Jol confirmed that the Bulgarian was close to returning to the team.

"He was very close [to playing against Southampton]," he revealed. "He told me on Monday he would probably play and then on Friday he said he didn't want to take a risk.

"He came to me yesterday and he was doing a test today in London and if they [he and Mladen Petric] would have been fit, they would have travelled to Southampton maybe to be on the bench or maybe in Berbatov's case to start. But he is on the fringe of being fit."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/10/07/3432773/-?

WhiteJC

Manchester United Considering Bid For Fulham Defender Brede Hangeland

United keen on Fulham's Hangeland.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is considering a bid for Fulham centre-back Brede Hangeland, reports the Metro.

The Scot is desperate to beef up his back-line, which has shipped goals recently in the absence of injured trio Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Nemanja Vidic.

Hangeland's contract at Craven Cottage expires at the end of the season, meaning United could swoop for the 31-year-old on the cheap in January.

The towering defender has barely put a foot wrong since joining the West Londoners from Copenhagen in 2008 and has been frequently been linked with a move to Arsenal.

United have fallen behind in 5 of their seven league games so far this season and conceding ten goals along the way, much to Ferguson's frustration.

Although Hangeland is older than Ferguson's usual targets, the Scot feels United need a solid presence at the back, with Jones and Vidic both someway off a return.

Rio Ferdinand, 33, has struggled in recently weeks and was badly exposed by Tottenham's pace in Spurs' 3-2 at Old Trafford, while Johnny Evans remains unconvincing.

Fulham are unwilling to lose the Norway international but boss Martin Jol is aware than Hangeland could walk away for free next summer so is willing to considers any bids from Old Trafford.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/10/07/manchester-united-considering-bid-for-fulham-defender-brede-hangeland/?

WhiteJC

SOUTHAMPTON 2 - FULHAM 2: MARTIN JOL IS LEFT IN A CLATT FLAP

MARTIN JOL accused Mark Clattenburg of helping Southampton get out of jail after Fulham were denied their first win at Saints since the year Monopoly was invented.

The Cottagers last won at either The Dell or St Mary's Stadium in 1935 and Jose Fonte's late header extended that sequence.

But Fulham boss Jol claimed ref Clattenburg should have spotted a foul by defender Maya Yoshida on Kieran Richardson seconds before Fonte nodded home Danny Fox's stoppage-time free-kick.

He said: "One hundred per cent we should have had a free-kick for a foul by Yoshida on Richardson. The kick was not given and then they win a free-kick and score."

Fulham's Premier League away record is shocking and their travel woes looked set to continue when Fonte headed Southampton in front after only four minutes.

Adam Lallana's floated left-wing corner was flicked across goal by the Portuguese centre-back before looping into the top corner of Mark Schwarzer's net.

Fulham were rescued by the woodwork as Jos Hooiveld's stabbed shot from a Lallana corner rebounded off the upright.

Saints thought they had doubled their lead when Jason Puncheon fired home from close range from a Lallana corner, but Clattenburg correctly spotted that the winger had shoved Schwarzer with his backside and awarded a foul.

England hopeful Rickie Lambert missed two good chances and Nigel Adkins' side were made to pay.

Steve Sidwell hit the post with a bundled close-range shot on the hour mark before Hugo Rodallega's header was kept out by a flying save from Saints' young Argentine keeper Paulo Gazzaniga.

The game changed in Fulham's favour 23 minutes from time when Adkins inexplicably hauled off top scorer Lambert and bought on Brazilian Guly do Prado.

Fulham were gifted an equaliser in the 70th minute after the hapless Hooiveld made a mess of his footwork to divert John Arne Riise's low long-range shot past a stranded Gazzaniga.

Then two minutes from time Brede Hangeland's hopeful long ball sent Sascha Riether free on the right and the defender's cross was steered home from eight yards by the onrushing Richardson for his first Cottagers goal.

Fonte had the last word but Adkins admitted his side have to cut out the defensive mistakes after leaking 20 goals in their first seven Premier League games.

He said: "We are used to winning and playing attacking football.

"The supporters are used to that and that is what you have to go and dom but, likewise, you have to put yourself in a position to keep clean sheets.

"The game was far too open and we did not have control of the second half."

Adkins defended his decision to substitute Lambert, adding: "We changed a couple of personnel to put some fresh legs in there.

"If you don't start Rickie Lambert or you bring him off there is always going to be a question to answer, but we needed some fresh legs."

Jol praised the way his side fought back to almost snatch victory after being outplayed for the first hour.

The Dutchman said: "I was very pleased with the resilience, the character and mental strength.

"In the second half our best players had more of the ball and we played football.

"In the first we were too worried about making mistakes and could not get the ball to our best players."

He also revealed ex-Manchester United hitman Dimitar Berbatov will return from his hip injury after the international break.

Jol said: "Berbatov is close. He told me on Monday he would probably play, but on Friday he still felt sore and did not want to take the risk."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/276023/Southampton-2-Fulham-2-Martin-Jol-is-left-in-a-Clatt-flap/?

L-Wizzy

Quote from: WhiteJC on October 08, 2012, 04:29:43 AM

Young Striker Tracked

Glancing through the Sunday press, it appears that Fulham are keen on a young striker.

Dwight Gayle, a former Arsenal trainee, is currently scoring fro fun for Dagenham and Redbridge and Fulham are amongst a trio of clubs said to be interested in taking the lad to a higher level, with West Ham United and Reading also believed to be monitoring the situation.

We`ll report further if any more information becomes known.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=295873#ixzz28ftPTcG5

I spoke to my dagenham coach this morning and he said he is a quallity player
Twitter: @officialslimwiz

WhiteJC

Southampton 2-2 Fulham

If you think you had a bad day, pity poor Jos Hooiveld. Hooield, trying to make his way in football, told the Southampton website before the game: "you look at my record this season, giving away an own goal and two penalties in three games which doesn't look good...." Then he added to this dubious start with a pair of deflections, one of which was officially awarded as his very own goal, the other to Kieran Richardson. Poor man.

The game that reminded me of a 2-2 draw in Derby, in which we played a terrible team, went ahead late on via a deflection, then conceded an equaliser almost instantly. Southampton weren't nearly as bad as Derby, but they were there for the taking, and it's disappointing that we didn't take all three points.

The early goal, of course, was crucial. With that Southampton were happy to sit a little, conceding no real space. So Fulham worked the ball around slowly and clumsily, only occasionally getting the width they'd need to make something happen. Southampton ended up playing their third choice right-back and you wouldn't have known it from the way Fulham attacked. It was a first half to forget.

In the second half we had the intriguing sight of Bryan Ruiz running around almost constantly. He didn't touch the ball very much in 15 minutes of Fulham possession, which raised questions. Was he trying too hard? Was he just making terrible runs? Were our players looking elsewhere? I remember Match of the Day in years gone by showing how good players make space by not running, waiting, then making decisive movements. Berbatov, of course, is a master of this. But here was Ruiz describing neverending circles on the St Mary's turf in a bid to be involved, and of course exactly the opposite happened.

Then all of a sudden he did start getting involved and Fulham looked all the better for it. If I, a man in the stands, would have one piece of advice to the experts at Fulham, it would've been to tell Ruiz to play higher up the pitch, closer to Rodallega, and to then get him the ball a lot more. As it was Rodallega spent a game chasing nothingness (the occasional lead-footed Hangeland clomp notwithstanding) and the wide men weren't involved in coherent attacking moves enough (although they did play quite well in isolation). The Southampton defence, made up as it was of new signings and reserves, wasn't tested nearly enough.

If we weren't going to do anything around the D the space was always going to come from our full-backs, given the way the game was going, and slowly we saw Riise starting to take more chances on the overlap. Ultimately this didn't really work for him but it was the right idea. Down the other flank Reither was still too reluctant to take responsibility I felt, not really committing defenders before making his pass, for instance (Ruiz *is* good at this, Dembele was incredible at this) and therefore not really helping Duff as he might've, but credit where it's due, he kept chugging on forward and was rewarded with the assist for Kieran Richardson's almost winner.

I've got ahead of myself. Southampton went ahead early from a looping header from a corner. It was one of those "Oh really?" goals where you have to shake your head a bit, so soft and not the sort of concession a defence like ours makes. Trouble was, it nearly happened again, Saints having another goal chalked off following what must have been a push on Schwarzer, and then nearly scored *again* when one of our men cleared off the line. All of these from corners. It was disconcerting, and seemed to get to our defenders who spent most of the game playing as if it was the first day of pre-season training, or indeed as if they were being asked to pass a rugby ball. No, there was little movement ahead of them, but in such situations a hoof into space is rarely the right pass. Zat Knight would've been shaking his head at some of our distribution from the back.

And Southampton could've had another on top of all that, Lambert sliced wide when we'd been opened up wide.

So the second half could only get better. After the aforementioned 15 minute spell of good if aimless possession (I say aimless, but at least we had some tempo now), Ruiz hit the post with a free-kick cross, and Rodallega drew a fine save from the Southampton goalkeeper. We were well in the ascendency now and a goal seemed reasonably likely. Sure enough it came, Riise given clear sight, his shot was (as ever) not quite struck correctly and going wide, but our friend Hooiveld stuck out a boot and diverted the ball home.

We were well on top now and good work down the right fed Riether, whose cross was knocked home by an ecstatic Richardson (via Hooiveld), and that appeared to be that. But then as time was running out Jose Fonte headed in his second for a thoroughly deflating equaliser, and that was just about that.

Ultimately away points are nothing to get upset about and in the cold light of day the fact that we did control so much of the match could be considered a good thing, but we weren't good enough in a lot of areas, and that will concern Martin Jol.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/southampton-2-2-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Richardson Reflects

Kieran Richardson made a bittersweet return to the Fulham team on Sunday afternoon when he notched his first goal for the Club, before Jose Fonte's late header meant we had to settle for a point against Southampton.

Richardson was a second half replacement for Alexander Kačaniklić and provided a constant threat to the Saints' backline, culminating in his 88th minute strike when he converted Sascha Riether's clever cut-back.

"I thought my goal might have won it," Kieran admitted to fulhamfc.com. "Sascha did well; he got down the right and cut it back – it was a great delivery. And if the likes of him can get balls like that in the box then I'll score goals; that's what I want to do.

"I've got mixed emotions really. We're disappointed we didn't come away with the three points. I thought we played very well second half and everyone in the changing room was gobsmacked that we didn't get the win. But it wasn't to be, we'll take a point away from home and in our next home match [against Aston Villa] we'll try and kick on and get all the points."

Southampton's late equaliser came in controversial circumstances. Fonte headed in after the home side were awarded a free-kick for a foul by Richardson, mere seconds after referee Mark Clattenburg failed to spot a high challenge on Giorgos Karagounis by Maya Yoshida.

"I'm a bit disappointed with the equaliser," Kieran said. "I gave away the free-kick which they scored from but I was a bit frustrated because we should have had a free-kick a few seconds before for a foul on Giorgos. Someone of my experience should have dealt with the situation better."

Sunday's substitute appearance was Kieran's first run-out for the Whites since his debut against West Ham United over a month ago – a match where he admitted he didn't do himself justice – and the winger hopes his cameo against Southampton went some way to making amends.

"I wasn't happy after my first game," he explained. "But that's just me, I always strive to be as good as I can be and my standard was below par that day. Hopefully I'll get my first home start against Villa and put things right."

To suffer injury so soon after joining a new club is a nightmare for any player, but Richardson paid tribute to Fulham's medical staff following his return to the First Team fold.

"I'm slowly getting there," he said. "The fitness coaches have been working with me over the last few weeks and they've been top drawer. Hopefully by the time of the Aston Villa game I'll be fully up to speed.

"It was frustrating [being injured] but we've got great physios here and a great rehab team and they've been tremendous for me. When I came on against Southampton I felt sharp and that's all credit to them."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/08/richardson-reflects?

WhiteJC

Jol eyes Berba boost

Martin Jol is hopeful that Dimitar Berbatov will be fit to return for Fulham following this latest international break.
The Cottagers boss has been without the Bulgarian hitman for the past two matches against Manchester City and Sunday's 2-2 draw at Southampton because of a hip injury picked up in training.

And, while Jol revealed that the £5million summer signing from Manchester United was close to being fit to play at St Mary's at the weekend, the Dutch tactician felt it was better not to risk him and have him ready for the return to Premier League action against Aston Villa at Craven Cottage on October 20.

Jol said: "Berbatov is close. He told me on Monday he would probably play, but on Friday he still felt sore and did not want to take the risk."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/Fulham/Jol-eyes-Berba-boost-1482164.html?

WhiteJC

Divine inspiration helped Fulham midfielder open account at Southampton

Fulham's Kieran Richardson (left) scores their second goal.
Picture: Adam Davy/EMPICS

Fulham midfielder Kieran Richardson revealed that divine inspiration helped him to score his first goal for the club against Southampton.

fter a Jos Hooiveld own goal had cancelled out Jose Fonte's opener, the 27-year-old struck with two minutes remaining to put his side on course for a second away win.

However, Fonte headed home Daniel Fox's free-kick to give the Saints a share of the spoils, although this did not put a major downer the former Sunderland man's day.

"It's still a happy day for me, scoring my first goal for Fulham," Richardson said after the game.

"I've been thinking about it all week and I kind of knew I was going to score today when I got up.

Fulham's players celebrate Kieran Richardson's goal.
Picture: Adam Davy/EMPICS

"I'd been praying all week to god and I knew that I'd come on and score. My faith was strong this week.

"Last week, I went to church and got filled with the holy spirit, which was great for me and I felt sharp all week in training."

However, he was disappointed with the way that Southampton scored the equaliser at such a late stage.

The midfielder conceded the free-kick from which Jose Fonte scored from in second-half stoppage time.

He added: "Obviously, I thought I'd scored the winner, so for me to give away the free-kick that led to their goal – I was a bit upset about that.

"I think I got a bit frustrated because we should have had a free-kick for a foul on Karagounis, but it wasn't to be.

"I think with my experience, I should have done better in that situation. But I'll learn from that."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/divine_inspiration_helped_fulham_midfielder_open_account_at_southampton_1_1582776?

WhiteJC

Fergie Plans Move For Hangeland On The Cheap?

There are reports today that Manchester United are considering a January move for Fulham defender Brede Hangeland.

The London Metro says United are interested in the 31 year old who will be out of contract at the end of the season.

Fulham have received a few enquiries by interested parties about acquiring the player on a free transfer, but Sir Alex Ferguson is planning a move for Hangeland when the transfer window reopens next year.

http://www.manchesterunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/fergie_plans_move_for_hangeland_on_the_cheap_762018/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol must search far and wide for a solution to Fulham's travel troubles

Joy before pain: Kieran Richardson celebrates his goal but a couple of minutes later Fulham conceded the equaliser

Martin Jol is Fulham's sixth Premier League manager and appears no closer to curing the travel sickness that has blighted the club over the past 11 years.

As Fulham left St Mary's Stadium having conceded a late equaliser, Jol showed the same frustration as his predecessors.

The west London club are not expected to threaten the elite in the division but they could make life so much easier for themselves if they performed away from home in the same confident manner they do at Craven Cottage.

It is a riddle that baffled Jean Tigana, Chris Coleman, Lawrie Sanchez, Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes — now it is Jol's turn.

Their best ever tally was five away wins under Coleman in 2003-04, although Jol came close to matching that with four in his debut season last term. However, the team's performances are not meeting the Dutchman's standards.

He said: "I have mixed feelings about our start to the season because I still feel the home games are different. Away from home we have half the amount of touches as we do at home and we had that against Southampton again.

"If we do that in the next away game we will lose. We have to dictate our own possession and be mentally strong to show our quality. They have to be brave."

The supporters certainly betrayed their feelings on the issue after Kieran Richardson put their side in front with two minutes to go as they sang a song that suggested the scoreline merely reflected how bad Southampton must be for their team to be winning away from home.

Richardson, who joined from Sunderland for £2million in August, obviously has not been part of the past problem, but feels it will be solved in the near future.

He  said: "I am not worried about it because of the quality we have in the dressing room. I look around and there are a lot of top players and it is only a matter of time before we click.

"I can't speak about the poor away record in previous seasons but we have a top-class manager and I'm sure we will nip it in the bud."

Fulham's efforts to do just that should be boosted by the return of strikers Dimitar Berbatov (hip) and Mladen Petric (calf) after the international break.

Still, there was some encouragement in the manner they fought back from going behind after just four minutes to almost win the game through a Joos Hoiveld own goal and Richardson's first for Fulham.

Southampton nicked the equaliser when Jose Fonte headed in after a free-kick but Jol claimed Maya Yoshida fouled Giorgos Karagounis moments before Saints were awarded the set‑piece.

Jol said: "It was 100 per cent a free­-kick and I thought, 'now we'll have the ball and the pressure will be gone'. But we didn't get it and two seconds later it was a free‑kick for them."

In Richardson's mind, Fulham's second‑half display also showed the players are united behind Jol, contrary to what former striker Bobby Zamora told this paper last week.

He added: "Everyone in that changing room respects him [Jol] very highly and are 100 per cent behind him.  I can't say anything about Bobby's comments, that's his prerogative, but I couldn't be happier under this manager.

"The main reason I joined was because of the manager. He spoke to me about the philosophy of how he wants us to play and how he wants the club to go forward and it was just the kind of thing I wanted to hear."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/martin-jol-must-search-far-and-wide-for-a-solution-to-fulhams-travel-troubles-8201836.html