watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (14/04/10)

Started by WhiteJC, April 14, 2010, 07:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/PantsilComingHome.aspx
Pantsil's Cheer Coming Home

John Pantsil was understandably buzzing on Tuesday afternoon after coming through 90 minutes of Reserve Team action on Monday.

The defender is now targeting a return to First Team duty after recovering from a knee injury picked up at Stamford Bridge in late December 2009.

"To play a full 90 minutes against Aston Villa on Monday was fantastic," said Pantsil. "It was very good for me. I'm looking to be involved with the First Team again very soon.

"I feel very happy with the progress of my knee and much more confident and comfortable.

"The injury happened on the last day before leaving to join my colleagues in the African Cup of Nations.

"I'm someone who always gives my best and tries my heart out and I went in for a challenge and lost out.

"First of all I missed out on the African Cup of Nations and also all the Europa League games and I nearly lost the World Cup.

"It's been really frustrating so now that I'm fit to play again I have to work so hard so that I can be the same player I was before.

"Injuries are a part of football so I have to take it as one of those things and focus on coming back. The fans have been there for me since I joined the Club and I always remember them everywhere I go and every time I play."

Pantsil is clearly proud of Fulham's achievements in Europe this season and whilst the right-back admits it has been difficult missing out on such an incredible journey, his focus is now firmly fixed on repaying kindness shown by Fulham fans in recent months when he returns to action.

"We all started the season together but my injury pushed me away from competing in the Europa League competition.

"The boys are doing so well and I'm really pleased with their performances but on the other hand I'm not happy that I'm not involved.

"I'm a Fulham player and I'm really happy with where we are at the moment. When it comes to the European games I'm a real fan!

"I post messages on Facebook for the fans to read and see that I'm supporting the Team and they say some nice things that cheer me up too.

"It's a good family I've got here at Fulham and I promise the fans that very soon I will be cheering them again at the Cottage."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/PantsilComingHome.aspx#ixzz0l3UAGkai

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/McKinlayVillaReaction.aspx
McKinlay's Reserve Reaction

Fulham's Reserve Team suffered their first defeat since September on Monday afternoon in a game which saw Aston Villa crowned Barclays Premier Reserve League champions for the third consecutive season.

Before Monday's two-one defeat, the Whites had won six of their last nine league matches and looking back on encounter with Villa; Reserve Team Manager Billy McKinlay was disappointed to have finally seen that long undefeated run end.

"It's always disappointing to have a long unbeaten run come to an end, funnily enough I think Villa were the last team to beat us," he told fulhamfc.com. "It's disappointing but having said that, I don't think that we deserved to win the game - Villa were the better team over the 90 minutes.

"We started the game quite well, we passed the ball well and had a good foothold in the game. Our goal was the result of a good passing movement. After that, they got on top and we didn't quite impose ourselves as much. They scored two quick goals, with the second one in particular being a disappointing one to concede.

"The second-half was better and it was a more even contest but we struggled to cause them any real threat in the final third. The win gave Villa the title, they work really hard to stop you playing and we didn't have enough on the day to overcome that.  But it was a good test against the best team in the league over the last three years."

However, looking back on the season so far, McKinlay is proud of the players' achievements.

"We've always been about getting the young players into the side and building up their experience," he explained. "Over the past six or seven games we've played some good football, which has resulted in us getting some good results. 

"One of the biggest things I've got to do is to prepare the players on the tactical side, in line with what's being asked of the First Team. They're starting to become aware of what their roles and responsibilities are in terms of their individual positions. For example, Matthew Briggs has come on in leaps and bounds over the last six to eight weeks. 

"We've got to prepare the players so hopefully when they step up to the First Team, they don't look out of place in their positional and tactical play. I want people to watch the Reserve Team and see aspects of the First Team in terms of the shape of the team and style of play.

"Ultimately it's my job to ensure that the guys in my group are aware of what's required.  It's very important at our Club that the players know the tactical side and the organisation of the Team."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/McKinlayVillaReaction.aspx#ixzz0l3UWNNYH

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=195147
Fulham - Your Liverpool MOTM?
With the season rapidly coming to a close, its great that our humble club still has a prominent part to play in proceedings.

On the domestic stage it`d give me great pleasure, after their pathetic moans about our depleted team at Hull, to send West Ham United down in our last home game of the season.

But what we`d all love to see is our wonderful club get past Hamburg in the Europa League semi-final to play in our first ever European Final, what a feat that would be.

If it were to come about we already know that there`s a fair chance that we could be facing Liverpool in the final if they can overcome Spanish opposition in their semi.

On Sunday, we ventured to Anfield and gave a resolute defensive performance without showing any of our attacking instincts, perhaps we`ll gloss over the fact we never had a shot on target throughout the ninety minutes.

Therefore, it probably won`t come as too much of a shock to you all to find out that in the 'Siege of Anfield` you voted for none other than our Australian goalkeeper, Mark Schwarzer, as you man-of-the-match.

Mark polled a huge 88% of the vote and, in our opinion, deserves to keep the green jersey for at least another season!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=195147#ixzz0l3UkiVba

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6960
Are we getting more adventurous away from home?
by Dan on April 13, 2010

It's interesting question, but asking it now might strike you as a bit odd following that sterling suffocating job we pulled off at Liverpool on Sunday. If anyone says Roy 'parked the bus' at Anfield, send them here.

Rich is much better with numbers than me (which isn't too hard in all honesty) and he's hit on the fact that we're taking more shots away from home – as well as being tighter at the back – when compared with last season.

Frustratingly, there's no remedy for Fulham's travel sickness in sight but Roy and the boys are certainly making good progress.

WhiteJC

http://theflatbackfour.blogspot.com/2010/04/four-reasons-why-england-need-bobby.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theflatbackfour+%28The+Flat+Back+Four%29
Four Reasons Why England Need Bobby Zamora

The performance of Bobby Zamora under Roy Hodgson particularly have been stellar. The marked improvement in his game have led to numerous calls for an England call up. If the thoughts were that Zamora does not have the big match mentality then those reservations would have been smashed to bits after stunning goals against Juventus and Wolfsburg in the Europa League.

Emile Heskey and Carlton Cole are great as the target and/or link up man upfront but they are not prolific goalscorers. At major world tournaments, goals typically determine how far a nation progresses, hence Bobby Zamora, who is in the form of his life, can provide that secondary goalscoring threat while performing the duties that Heskey and/or Cole does for England.

I saw this article at Footy Factor and Stan Hughes pretty much summed up why Bobby Z must make that trip to South Africa with England.

Four Reasons Why England Need Bobby Zamora
By Stan Hughes

When Fabio Capello names his final squad for England's World Cup adventure, Bobby Zamora better be on the list. Here's reasons why:

He's in the form of his life. Bobby Zamora isn't brilliant but he's not bad either. During his five seasons in the Premiership, with three London clubs (Tottenham, West Ham and Fulham), Zamora has never bagged more than 20 goals. Could it be sixth time lucky for the former Bristol Rovers trainee? Having notched his 19th goal last night, Zamora has 8 fixtures left this season, possibly 9 if Fulham advance to the Europa League final, to reach the milestone.

A whole lot better than Heskey. If Fabio Capello has any intention of employing a burly target man to partner Wayne Rooney in attack then Bobby Zamora is the best option. Granted  Fabio Capello values Emile Heskey's attributes far greater than we do in that role, what if Heskey gets injured? Peter Crouch is the current deputy but despite his height we doubt Crouch has the physical strength to guard possession while the rest catch up.

He can mix it with the big boys. Last night Bobby Zamora scored such an exquisite goal against Wolfsburg that had the London lad been born in Rio the football community would have gone ballistic. Sublimely turning the two German centre-backs, Zamora slotted the ball past Benaglio, effectively ending the tie within the first minute of play. Not for the first time Zamora proved the inspiration when the big boys come knocking. Tottenham, Juventus, Manchester United and Liverpool have all fallen victim to Zamora's predatory instincts this season.

It's in the stars. In August of last year, Zamora received his Trinidadian passport. A week after receiving citizenship, Zamora got injured in training and missed the chance to play for his father's country in the World Cup Qualifier against El Salvador. Zamora has never turned out for Trinidad & Tobago. Have the football gods given England a second chance?

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1265770/Simon-Davies-hopes-secure-new-Fulham-deal-winning-fitness-battle.html?ITO=1490
Simon Davies hopes to secure a new Fulham deal after winning fitness battle

Simon Davies is hoping for a new Fulham contract after proving his fitness.

The Wales midfielder, 30, who has also been at Tottenham and Everton, has played more than 200 Premier League games, is out of contract in the summer but Fullham boss Roy Hodgson has so far not offered a new deal.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1265770/Simon-Davies-hopes-secure-new-Fulham-deal-winning-fitness-battle.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0l3WIUG62

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/henry-winter-on-english-managers/
Henry Winter on English managers
Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude @ 8:48 pm

Henry Winter bemoans the lack of quality English managers in this interesting piece, and highlights the fact that more Israeli managers have managed in the Champions' League group stage than have English equivalents.  Is this a valid criticism?  Are things really so bad?

In order for there to be more English managers in the Champions' League there need to be a) plenty of English managers (!) and b) these managers need to be in favourable circumstances, given opportunities.

Where is the opportunity in English football?  Until recently the Champions' League was (not by accident) a closed shop, with the big teams getting bigger because of the money they earn in the competition.  It was a devilish thing to pull off, but they managed it, and now their sufficiently rich that only way into the Champions' league is via an implausibly rich outsider.  Otherwise you can forget it.  (unless the Hicks/Gillette/Glazier  ownership phenomenon ruins things, which isn't that implausible either).

So Ferguson is Ferguson, Wenger is Wenger, and Chelsea, being the richest club in the world for some time, have been... well, who knows?  But they could take their pick of managers and very reasonably chose to shop overseas.  Liverpool hired Rafa Benitez because they could, and that worked as well.   Those are your Champions League clubs, folks.   Where does the English manager go from there?

Harry Redknapp, Martin O'Neil, Alec McLeish, Tony Pulis, David Moyes, Sam Allardyce, Sir Roy, Steve Bruce, Mick McCarthy, Owen Coyle, etc.   No, they're not all English, but they're not 'foreign' either and are part of the English system, whatever that might be.   The only thing wrong with this group is opportunity.

Behind them we have managers like David Jones, Sean O'Driscoll, Kevin Blackwell, Chris Coleman, Nigel Pearson, Billy Davies, Nigel Clough, Chris Hughton, Mark Robins, Brian McDermott and Paul Ince (again, I know they're not all English) all at various stages in their development, and all with something going for them.   Given time (the most important aspect of all this – how many of these managers have been at it 30 years?) the right circumstances, patience, application and luck, any one of them could probably do a decent job at a big club.  But they won't get that chance, will they?

It's all well and good Henry Winter taking controversial stances like this (and he's right about Wembley), but the problem isn't the managers, it's the English game as it currently works.  Rafa Benitez and Juande Ramos managed to squeeze big careers out of second notch clubs in Spain, but Spain has a big two, so there is room for two other clubs in the Champions League; English managers don't have that leeway.  There is no Champions League place to be pinched by an over-achieving British (I know) manager; if there was Redknapp or Moyes or Sir Roy would've pinched it by now.

English managers aren't especially well thought of, but I don't know that there's a great crisis either.  Steve McLaren is supposedly off-radar at the moment, but he's only doing what Roy did for most of his career, learning his trade away from the lunacy of the English game.  McLaren will come back from this a much better manager, and it's a shame for him that he was over-promoted into the England job so soon in his career.   But it (in forcing him abroad) may prove to be the making of him.   Paul Ince is in a similar boat, and is (largely through necessity) back on the lower league beat.  Ince doesn't have to work anymore, but he wants to manage, and, if he sticks with it for long enough he might make a good manager.  But he was tried and judged far before he was ready, just like Gareth Southgate was, just like Chris Coleman was for that matter (seriously).

These things take time.  If the managers are given time, and opportunity, they'll do okay.  If they're not then we can expect the Israeli imbalance Winter speaks of to persist.  But it doesn't mean anything anyway.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/808/australia/2010/04/14/1877730/aussies-in-europe-mark-schwarzer-stands-tall-as-lucas-neill
Aussies In Europe: Mark Schwarzer Stands Tall As Lucas Neill And Scott McDonald Net
It was a busy week for the Socceroos' bigger stars.

Harry Kewell, Lucas Neill (Galatasaray, Turkey)

A full game for Neill and a first goal for the club with a thumping finish from close range in the 4-1 win over Diyarbakirspor, Kewell not taking part.

Tim Cahill (Everton, England)

Played a full game and set up the first goal for his side in their 2-2 draw with visiting West Ham.

Mark Schwarzer, (Fulham, England)

Two impressive displays by the Australian in big matches: keeping a clean sheet to help Fulham into the Semi Finals of the Europa League as they scored a 1-0 away win and 3-1 aggregate victory over Wolfsburg in midweek before he repeated the trick as they managed a scoreless draw away against Liverpool at the weekend.

Brett Emerton, Vince Grella (Blackburn Rovers, England)

A belated full game for Grella in the scoreless draw with Manchester United at the weekend, where Emerton started the match but was replaced at half-time.

Mark Bresciano (Palermo, Italy)

Wasn't in the squad for the 3-1 home win over Chievo Verona.

Luke Wilkshire (Dinamo Moscow, Russia)

Wasn't in the squad for the scoreless draw with visiting FK Tom' Tomsk.

Scott McDonald, Rhys Williams, Brad Jones (Middlesbrough, England)

Full games for all three Aussies in the 1-0 home win over Sheffield Wednesday, where McDonald scored the winner.

Richard Garcia (Hull City, England)

Wasn't in the squad for the 4-1 home defeat to Burnley.

Brett Holman, James Holland (AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands)

Holman was introduced in the 80th minute of the scoreless draw at NEC Nijmegen while James Holland was an unused substitute at the weekend. The latter didn't make the squad for this morning's 1-0 home win over FC Twente, where Holman a last minute substitute.

David Carney (FC Twente, Netherlands)

Introduced in the 85th minute of the 1-0 loss away against AZ Alkmaar after being an unused substitute for the 2-0 home win over Heerenveen at the weekend.

Nikita Rukavytsya (Roeselare, Belgium)

Played a full game in the 3-1 second leg victory but overall defeat for his side in the Beker van Belgie against Cercle Brugge.

Dario Vidosic (MSV Duisburg, Germany)

Was an unused substitute during the 1-1 home draw with Greuther Furth.

Carl Valeri (Sassuolo, Italy)

An unused substitute in the 1-1 draw with Modena at the weekend and also in the 1-0 home defeat to Reggina this morning.

Nick Carle (Crystal Palace, England)

Didn't come off the bench for the 2-0 defeat to visiting QPR.

Adam Federici (Reading, England)

Consecutive full games in the scoreless draw away at Cardiff City at the weekend and then in the 2-1 home defeat to Newcastle United this morning.

Patrick Kisnorbo, Neil Kilkenny, Shane Lowry (Leeds United, England)

Consecutive full games for Kilkenny in the 2-0 defeat over visiting Southend at the weekend and then in the 3-1 away win over Carlisle United this morning, Lowry an unused substitute only in the latter match. Kisnorbo remains sidelined with injury.

Dean Bouzanis (Accrington Stanley, England)

An unused substitute in the scoreless draw at Darlington on the weekend and not in the squad this morning for the 2-1 defeat at home to Port Vale.

Oliver Bozanic (Aldershot Town, England)

A full game in the 1-1 draw with Port Vale at the weekend and replaced in the 70th minute of the 2-0 defeat at home to Torquay United this morning.

Bruce Djite (Diyarbakirspor, Turkey)

Wasn't involved in the 4-1 defeat at Galatasaray.

Mile Jedinak (Antalyaspor, Turkey)

Played a full game in the 3-1 home defeat to Istanbul Buyuksehir.

James Troisi (Kayserispor, Turkey)

No involvement in the 2-2 draw at home with Sivasspor.

Michael Petkovic (Sivasspor, Turkey)

Didn't play any part in the 2-2 draw at Kayserispor.

Scott Chipperfield (FC Basel, Switzerland)

Played a full game as his side beat FC Zurich 2-1 away from home.

Ante Covic (Elfsborg, Sweden)

Played a full game in the 2-1 defeat at Helsingborg.

Nathan Burns (Kerkyra, Greece)

Replaced in the 56th minute of his promotion-chasing side's 1-0 home win over Rodos.

Trent McClenahan, James Wesolowski (Hamilton, Scotland)

A full game for Wesolowski in the 4-1 home win over Hibernian, where McClenahan was introduced in the 76th minute.

Dean Heffernan (Huddersfield Town, England)

Replaced in the 83rd minute of the 3-0 defeat at Brentford at the weekend before playing a full game as his side recorded a 4-3 win over Walsall at home this morning.

WhiteJC

http://www.celtic-mad.co.uk/rprt/mtch/celtic_recover_some_pride_518625/index.shtml
Celtic recover some pride

The crowd reflected the mood in the Celtic family last night as the process of bouncing back from the Scottish Cup defeat by Ross County began. Josh Thompson was the two goal hero that secured the three points after going a goal down early in the second half. The teenage defender scored from two corners after his mistake led to Mark Reynolds putting the visitors in front just after the halfway mark in the SPL clash. Goalkeeper Lukasz Zaluska was in good form as the gap on Dundee United increased to eight points as both teams look to win a Champions League qualifying spot. Zaluska saved from Lukas Jutkiewicz as Motherwell carved out the best chance of the first half and, although Celtic eventually pushed their visitors back after the opener, the Pole made further important stops. Interim manager Neil Lennon made three changes from the side that lost on Saturday with Georgios Samaras and Andreas Hinkel dropping out of the squad altogether with Marc-Antoine Fortune demoted to the bench. Mark Wilson, Niall McGinn and the fit-again Diomansy Kamara filled the gaps created.

There was a low-key atmosphere at Parkhead as Celtic enjoyed the bulk of possession without threatening until the 10th minute. McGinn charged down Stevie Hammell's clearance and crossed for Robbie Keane, but the ball was marginally behind the Irishman and he could not direct his header towards goal. Motherwell lost Keith Lasley to injury a minute later with Giles Coke coming on, but they enjoyed a decent attacking spell which culminated in Steve Jennings having a shot blocked from 20 yards. Aiden McGeady saw an enterprising run foiled by Michael Fraser at the goalkeeper's near post but the visitors were enjoying their fair share of possession and came close in the 28th minute after Jutkiewicz had collected a long ball and turned Darren O'Dea. The on-loan Everton striker fed Jamie Murphy, whose shot from the edge of the box was spilled by Zaluska, but Scott Brown scrambled the ball clear as Jutkiewicz tried to net the rebound. Motherwell created an even better chance in the 33rd minute when Murphy showed good skill before releasing Jutkiewicz in the right channel, but Zaluska came out to block the striker's low shot from 15 yards. Celtic broke moments later but Keane dragged a difficult chance wide of the far post after McGinn's pass and Fraser comfortably held McGeady's long-range effort.

Motherwell took the lead three minutes after the restart when Thompson could only divert Tom Hateley's free-kick into the path of Reynolds, who finished from six yards. However, Thompson took just two minutes to atone for his error when he turned the ball into Fraser's bottom corner from 12 yards after Brown had headed down McGinn's corner. Celtic looked to have been stung into action and McGeady shot just over from the edge of a crowded penalty box. Motherwell almost shot themselves in the foot on the hour mark when Jim O'Brien lost the ball after Hateley's short corner, allowing McGeady to break and send a diagonal ball into the path of Keane, but Fraser blocked his shot from 15 yards. Celtic kept the pressure on and Fraser punched the ball into the path of Kamara 16 yards out but Steven Saunders, on moments earlier for Stephen Craigan, blocked the Fulham player's shot in the six-yard box. Motherwell were still dangerous when they got forward and Zaluska made another good save in the 75th minute when he blocked John Sutton's header following O'Brien's deep cross. Celtic moved ahead in the 78th minute when Lee Naylor curled a corner into the six-yard box and Thompson headed powerfully home. Keane was not far away with a well-executed volley from 25 yards before Jutkiewicz limped off and Chris Humphrey came on. Zaluska had more work to do to ensure the three points, which mean Rangers cannot clinch the title at Tannadice on Wednesday night, by rushing off his line to block from Murphy following Sutton's header-on.

Celtic: Zaluska, Wilson, Naylor, Thompson, O'Dea, N'Guemo, Brown, McGeady, McGinn, Keane, Kamara.

Motherwell: Fraser, Hately, Craigan, Reynolds, Hammell, O'Brien, Lasley, Jennings, Sutton, Murphy, Jutkiewicz.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6092956,00.html
Pantsil eyes Cottagers return
Fit-again defender eager for first-team action

Fulham full-back John Pantsil is hoping to make his first-team return after making a successful comeback in the reserves.

The former West Ham defender has not played competitively since the turn of the New Year after sustaining a serious knee injury against Chelsea last December.

The injury ruled Pantsil, much to his frustration, out of the African Cup of Nations and the majority of Fulham's Europa League charge which has seen them dispose of the likes of Juventus and Shakhtar Donetsk to make the semi-finals, where they will meet Hamburg next week.

Pantsil has been back in training for three weeks and is eager to make his first team return to bolster manager Roy Hodgson's squad and help his team-mates finish the campaign in style.

Return
"To play a full 90 minutes against Aston Villa's reserves on Monday was fantastic and I'm looking to be involved with the first team again very soon," he told the club's official website.

"The injury happened on the last day before leaving to join my colleagues in the African Cup of Nations so I missed out on the African Cup of Nations and also all the Europa League games and I nearly lost the World Cup.

"We all started the season together but my injury pushed me away from competing in the Europa League competition.

"The boys are doing so well and I'm really pleased with their performances but on the other hand I'm not happy that I'm not involved."

Recovery
Pantsil is pleased with his recovery and insists the knock will not hamper his desire or determination to go all-out between now and the end of the season.

"I feel very happy with the progress of my knee and much more confident and comfortable," he continued.

"I'm someone who always gives my best and tries my heart out and I went in for a challenge and lost out.

"It's been really frustrating so now that I'm fit to play again I have to work so hard so that I can be the same player I was before."