https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (09/10/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 09, 2012, 04:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Schwarzer rues Southampton fightback

Mark Schwarzer

MARK Schwarzer said he was disappointed not to celebrate turning 40 with a win at Southampton – but conceded that the 2-2 draw at St Mary's was probably a fair result.

Fulham looked set for a second successive away win in the league when a Kieran Richardson goal gave them the lead with two minutes to go.

But they were undone by a late set piece, having also conceded the first goal from a corner.

"It would have been good to go into the international break on the back of a win," said the Whites' keeper, who reached his special birthday milestone this week.

"When you go 2-1 up with a couple of minutes to play, and then concede, it's obviously very very disappointing. It's disappointing at any time, let alone so late.

"But I suppose if you looked at the fixture before the game, you'd be thinking, OK, the least you want is a draw out of it.

"You don't want to lose the game, and in the end, I suppose the result was a fair reflection of the way the game was played. At least the second half was a lot better from our point of view."

The Aussie shot-stopper added: "We knew they'd be very strong with deliveries into the box and that it would be difficult to defend against.

"It's disappointing because that's normally one of our strengths – our defending at set plays – but unfortunately we conceded two."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/10/08/82029-31992614/?#ixzz28lkwWDf7

WhiteJC

Riise: Cottagers far from content
Fulham left-back John Arne Riise felt the Cottagers should have come away with all three points from Sunday's clash at Southampton.

Saints two-goal hero Jose Fonte was left "disappointed" after a Premier League match he felt Saints should have won - a feeling shared by Riise.

"We were poor in the first half, we didn't control the game at all," the Norwegian said.

"In the second half, we went 2-1 up and I was sure we were going to win the game and deserved it in the end.

"But playing Southampton, we knew they are good at set pieces and they scored from them today."

Riise played an important role in the comeback at St Mary's as it was his fierce drive that went in off Jos Hooiveld to put Fulham level.

Asked if he counts that as his first goal for the west Londoners, he smiled and said: "No, I don't. You have to shoot to score and I did, but I think it was an own goal.

"We kept on pressuring them and when Kieran (Richardson) scored, I was 100% certain we were going to win this game, but we made stupid fouls to let them into the game."

http://www.football365.com/fulham/8149319/Riise-Cottagers-far-from-content?

WhiteJC

Potentially an astute signing for Manchester United?

It has been revealed that Manchester United are reportedly considering the signing of Brede Hangeland from Fulham this January.

Hangeland would be available for a free transfer next summer when his contract at Craven Cottage expires, but Sir Alex Ferguson may want to beat the last-minute scramble for his signature and pay a small fee for his services in January.

Would the Norwegian represent a good signing for Ferguson's side, considering their defensive issues at the start of the season?

The 31-year-old has proved that he is a centre-back of tremendous quality since arriving at Fulham from FC Copenhagen in 2008, with his towering height and no-nonsense attitude being comparable to Nemanja Vidic.

At this present moment in time, United are desperately struggling with defensive injuries; and Ferguson only has Johnny Evans and Rio Ferdinand as his two remaining fit centre-halves, after Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Vidic were all ruled out of action.

This has had an evident detrimental effect on the team, as the Red Devils have conceded eleven goals in ten matches; and kept just three clean sheets so far this season in all competitions.

These are worrying statistics for Ferguson to reflect over, so the need for a player like Hangeland is there to see.

The factors which could hold United back from making a move, concern the fact that the Norwegian is 31-years-old and goes against the club's transfer policy of buying players for the future; as well as it potentially halting the progress of promising youngsters such as Michael Keane and Scott Wooton from breaking into the first-team.

In addition, once the defensive crisis eases United could have six available central defenders, including the prospective signing of Hangeland.

Surely Ferguson would see this as too many defenders on the books and leads to doubts as to whether he would make such an impulsive move in January.

But injuries in defensive positions is nothing new at Old Trafford; and there are fears that Vidic is no longer the imposing figure he once was before damaging cruciate knee ligaments last December.

Vidic will have one year left on his contract at the end of this season, with reports linking him with moves to either Barcelona or Juventus; and Ferguson could see this as his best chance to buy a cheap replacement for the Serbian, if he shares these fears.

If a player like Vidic decides to leave the club, then the signing of Hangeland justifies its logic. However, if there are no departures, then it would be hard to envisage the arrival of the Norwegian, especially as key defenders gradually return to fitness and if players like Vidic return to the peak of their powers.

http://www.footballfancast.com/2012/10/premiership/manchester-united-premiership/potentially-an-astute-signing-for-manchester-united?

WhiteJC

Cottagers handed double fitness boost

Fulham have been handed a fitness boost with the news that Dimitar Berbatov and Mladen Petric are almost certain to be fit for their clash with Aston Villa on October 20.

Berbatov missed the 2-2 draw at Southampton with a hip problem, while Petric's calf injury also kept him out of the game.

But Martin Jol expects to have the pair available, provided Petric survives the international break with Croatia intact.

"Berbatov was very close to playing (against Southampton)," said Jol. "He told me on Monday he would probably play, and on Friday he felt he didn't want to take a risk.

"He is on the fringe of being fit. They should both be fit for two weeks time, but Petric has been called up for his national team so hopefully he stays fit - but that is a problem for two weeks time."

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/121008/cottagers-handed-double-fitness-boost-182666?#r67pChLy8OCtKjRC.99

WhiteJC

Richardson wants permanent starting spot for Fulham
The former Sunderland man hopes his goal-scoring cameo against Southampton on Sunday will force him into Martin Jol's plans after being sidelined through injury on debut

Getty

Kieran Richardson hopes his goal-scoring substitute performance against Southampton on Sunday will force Martin Jol to give him a regular place in Fulham's starting XI.

Richardson moved from Sunderland for a reported £3 million fee in the summer but has struggled to make an impact at Craven Cottage after suffering an injury on debut against West Ham over a month ago.

But after a strong return against the Saints, the 27-year-old hopes that the worst is behind him.

"I'm slowly getting there," he told the Cottagers' official website

"The fitness coaches have been working with me over the last few weeks and they've been top drawer. Hopefully by the time of the Aston Villa game I'll be fully up to speed.

"It was frustrating but we've got great physios here and a great rehab team and they've been tremendous for me. When I came on against Southampton I felt sharp and that's all credit to them."

Jol's side take on Aston Villa in their next Premier League encounter after the international break, and Richardson is confident of making his first start at home for his new club.

"I wasn't happy after my first game," he continued.

"But that's just me, I always strive to be as good as I can be and my standard was below par that day. Hopefully I'll get my first home start against Villa and put things right."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/10/08/3435311/-?

WhiteJC

Better to Say Nothing!

It was a sickening blow, yesterday, to be deprived of an away win so late in the game.

Martin Jol, expressing a similar opinion to that which I described in my match report, had this to say after the game to the waiting media,

"It`s harsh to concede so late on but we didn`t play well in the first half."

"I thought we should have had a free kick just before their equalizer but the referee didn`t see it. Two seconds later they got a free kick and scored."

"But that happens and if I criticize the referee in England I will get fined."

Exactly!

So it is probably best to stay quiet and silently fume!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=296005#ixzz28lmXpQrp

WhiteJC

Injury Update

It looks as if the fixture against Southampton, one in which we almost pulled of a rare away win, came just a touch too early for Dimitar Berbatov and Mladen Petric.

The two strikers, according to Martin Jol, were both close to making it for the fixture at St Mary`s exclaiming about a probable return,

"They will be back in two weeks time."

That`s good news for us isn`t it!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=296006#ixzz28lmhTPqW

WhiteJC

U21s Highlights Chelsea

Watch the goals from our featured U21 Premier League match with Chelsea from Friday night, where the Whites ran away 3-1 winners at Craven Cottage.

U21s 3-1 Chelsea - Barclays U21 Premier League

A fine Charles Banya effort and a Marcello Trotta brace saw Fulham Under-21s overcome Chelsea 3-1 at a rain-soaked Craven Cottage on Friday evening.

Kit Symons named Kerim Frei, Philippe Senderos and Ashkan Dejagah in his starting XI as they continued their comebacks from their respective injuries. New signing Mickael Tavares was also handed a starting berth.

After a feisty start, with both sides struggling to keep hold of the ball on a soaking surface, it was the hosts who came closest to opening the scoring on seven minutes. After winning a free-kick just outside the area, Frei went to take the set-piece but fooled the men in blue with a clever dummy, leaving Alex Smith to curl a fine effort against the post with the keeper well beaten.

Fulham were doing well to contain our rivals but we did need a superb last ditch sliding tackle from Senderos to rob Patrick Bamford who had found his way through on goal on 12 minutes.

Banya was proving a useful outlet down the left flank and he had a decent penalty appeal turned down on 25 minutes when he was sandwiched between two Chelsea defenders.

Banya was not to be denied, though, as he scored a goal of sublime quality just three minutes later. Senderos delivered a high, searching cross-field ball which Banya connected with at full stretch to expertly volley over Jamal Blackman in the Chelsea goal. The young winger did well to even reach the ball but showed a majestic composure to lift his shot up and over the keeper.

Two minutes later he almost doubled his and Fulham's lead when he connected with Jack Grimmer's low cross but he lifted his shot over the bar under pressure from a defender in blue.

Chelsea responded with a decent effort from range by Lewis Baker but – although his shot had Csaba Somogyi concerned – it was never going to find the back of the net.

The visitors were level moments later, however, when Billy Clifford's free-kick slipped through Somogyi's palms and into the back of the net. The ball was dripping wet but the Hungarian will be disappointed not to keep it out nonetheless.

Fulham came back instantly on 37 minutes when Dejagah weaved his way into the area before Trotta took the ball off his toes with a powerful first-time strike that Blackman parried away for a corner.

Trotta was in the mood and did well to jink past Nathan Ake to make space for himself in the box – unfortunately his low drive went narrowly wide of the near post.

The Whites took the lead their play deserved in stoppage time when Frei robbed the last defender, rounded Blackman with ease and fed Trotta who took a touch before firing the ball into the roof of the net.

As expected, both Dejagah and Senderos were withdrawn at the break, with Alex Brister and Pajtim Kasami coming on in their place.

Fulham took just three minutes to extend the lead and it was Frei and Trotta linking up again as our number nine headed in Kerim's dangerous free-kick from the left wing.

Chelsea looked for a way back into the game and nearly found it on 56 minutes when Lucas Piazon hit a wicked free-kick, only to see his effort crack against the post.

The Blues were awarded another free-kick on 70 minutes and Lewis Baker took some paint off the other post this time, with Somogyi well beaten.

Frei was withdrawn from the action three minutes later as Tom Donegan replaced him. The 18-year-old had put in an influential performance and looked as though he had never been away. He'll certainly prove a useful option for Martin Jol as the season progresses.

Fulham twice went close to further extending their lead in the closing stages through Sean Kavanagh and Donegan, before Somogyi did well to hold Bamford's powerful 20-yard drive – a shot which proved to be the last effort of the match.

Fulham: 1.Somogyi, 2. Grimmer, 3. Kavanagh, 4. Tavares, 5. Senderos (14. Brister, 45 mins), 6. Musa, 7. Dejagah (15. Kasami, 45 mins), 8. Smith (c), 9. Trotta, 10, Frei (16. Dongean, 73 mins), 11. Banya. Subs (not used): 12. Grainger, 17. Pritchard.

Chelsea: 1. Blackman, 2. Kane (c), 3. Davey (12. Christensen, 53 mins), 4. Ake, 5. Deen-Conteh (16. Boga, 64 mins), 6. C. Clifford (14. Islam, 52 mins), 7. Baker, 8. B. Clifford, 9. Bamford, 10. Saville, 11.Piazon. Subs (not used): 13. Beeney, 15. Nditi.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/08/u21s-highlights-chelsea?

WhiteJC

Assessing the Understudies

On Friday I popped along to the u21 game being played at Craven Cottage with the Whites taking on Chelsea's youngsters. These games always strike me as a bit odd – the new u21 and u18 league set up is designed to give youngsters a more competitive edge but the game still had a bit of a sense of a friendly match about it, particularly with several first team players included to aid their return to full fitness.

It is also difficult to know exactly what level the game could be compared to. I saw two sides with obvious talent and ball playing ability, playing in difficult conditions and an entertaining match with plenty of skill. Would a team of this calibre be able to hack it in League One? The Championship? I would imagine they could give a good account of themselves in the former, although the physicality of the league might be an issue.

Anyway, without offering up a full match report, I thought I would comment on a few of the more notable performances from various players who caught my eye:

Philippe Senderos – Gave a very good account of himself and was head and shoulders above the rest of the defence, as you would expect a first team player to be. Very assured in possession and was happy to step forward into the midfield to help shepherd the ball out wide or forward. It was his fantastic raking cross-field ball that Charles Banya expertly lobbed the keeper with for Fulham's first goal. With Hughes and Hangeland both looking shaky at times it would not surprise me to see Senderos replacing one of them in the near future

James Musa – Our new signing from the Antipodes, Musa put in an impressive performance, playing both a support role alongside Senderos and then a more dominant role alongside Jack Grimmer in the second half. He made several good tackles and blocks and combined this with a calm attitude on the ball and a noticeable passing ability. We may never see him in the first team, but to my eyes he looked better than Rafik Halliche

Jack Grimmer – An assured performance from the right back, particularly when linking up with Dejagah in the first half. Strong on the ball and in the tackle, it would not surprise me to see him on the fringes of the first team sometime soon

Mickael Tavares – Seemed to hide for most of the first half, happy to sit back and not stamp his authority on the game which worried me as these are the kind of games that first team players should be trying to stand out in. Improved in the second half and looked tidy in possession but I can't see what he would really bring to the current first team other than cover.

Ashkan Dejagah – Had a 45 minute introduction to Fulham fans and looked every inch the established first team player. Had the young Chelsea left back struggling significantly and was happy to take the ball to the by-line or cut inside to have a go on goal. Unsurprisingly looked short of match fitness but he appeared to have all the characteristics of a successful premier league winger – pace, strength, confidence, two-footedness and stamina. There was one point where he waltzed through the Chelsea defence only for Trotta to steal it off his toe and shoot wide. The look on Dejagah's face was delightful; one of pure disgust and frustration. I think he will do well here

Kerim Frei – A return to action for the youngster who lit up the Europa League last season but has missed most of this season due to a hamstring inury. He looked bright and, crucially, a cut above most of the attacking talent on show. A criticism may be that he was trying a bit *too* hard but he was to driving force behind much of the creative play going forward. I am really looking forward to see him and Kaca battling it out for the starting spot on the left this season.

Marcelo Trotta – An enigma of a forward. He didn't really offer much other than wasteful shots and grass stains on his shirt yet came away with two goals. I really want him to do well but his all round game seems to be lacking. He desperately needs a loan to the Championship for at least half a season because he needs to step up a level – let's hope Jol has plans for this

Did anyone else pop along? Agree/Disagree with the way I saw it?

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/assessing-the-understudies/?

WhiteJC

WE'RE A JOLLY LOT

JOHN ARNE RIISE has hit back at Bobby Zamora's claim that Fulham boss Martin Jol is battling a dressing room revolt.

QPR striker Zamora, who left the Cottagers in January, suggested last week that Jol is not popular with the majority of his squad.

But the Dutchman dismissed his accusations as sour grapes and Riise believes Fulham's performance in Sunday's 2-2 draw at Southampton shows the team spirit is high.

Fulham were trailing 1-0 with 20 minutes to go at St Mary's before hitting back to lead 2-1, only to be denied a rare away win by a late Jose Fonte equaliser.

And the former Liverpool full-back said: "The way we fought back shows team spirit is good and we always believe if we play our football we can score goals."

Riise is still searching for his first Fulham goal but his piledriver was turned into his own net by Jos Hooiveld for Fulham's equaliser against Saints.

He added: "I will claim an assist and I am getting closer to scoring myself."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/276178/We-re-a-jolly-lot/?

WhiteJC

Duff is retired -- it's time to move on

Stephen Kelly's weekend comments about the unexpected saga arising from the international retirement of his Fulham team-mate Damien Duff (pictured) prompted Giovanni Trapattoni to have a chat with the defender.

Kelly, rightly, pointed out that Duff had no intention of returning. "Every interview I do, people keep asking me about it and it's more coming from the fact that the manager's talking about it," Kelly told the Sunday Independent.

"Damien's retired. I think it's strange that they keep going on about it. Not the media. The media keep going on about it because the manager's talking about it. I think it's strange that the manager and staff keep bringing it up. If they have any private conversations with Damien just leave it at that. I think it should be nipped in the bud. The speculation is ridiculous and it's been dragged on for no reason."

Trapattoni addressed those comments yesterday, making the point that he had only sent Duff one message since his decision to quit Ireland became public in August. That still doesn't explain why the management team floated the possibility of a Duff comeback in several media briefings, thus making it back page news.

It's time to move on.

Injuries won't slow Germans

With Philipp Lahm, Mario Gomez and Lars Bender already ruled out, Joachim Loew lost another body yesterday when Borussia Dortmund said central defender Mats Hummels faces two weeks on the sidelines with a leg injury.

Loew (above) has a squad packed with Champions League regulars, so he can afford a couple more setbacks. Ireland, on the other hand, are on the ropes after the loss of Sean St Ledger and Glenn Whelan. Loew called in Hamburg's Heiko Westermann as cover.

Number of the day

100,000Bottles of water that will be consumed over the course of a new sponsorship arrangement between Tipperary Water and the FAI. They become the 'official mineral water' to the association, so you can expect Trap to be pictured with a bottle or two over the next week.

Elsewhere in Group C

While Irish eyes are trained on the German visit and the subsequent trip to the Faroes, there are two full rounds of fixtures, so everyone else in the group is in action twice. Sweden are in the Faroes on Friday, while Austria will be in Kazakhstan trying to avoid the same problems that Ireland suffered last month.

It's almost like a two-legged cup tie as the Kazakhs travel to Austria on the Tuesday, the same night that Germany host Sweden in Berlin.

Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/duff-is-retired-its-time-to-move-on-3253707.html

WhiteJC

FULHAM ACE JOHN ARNE RIISE SLAMS BOBBY ZAMORA OVER MARTIN JOL CLAIMS

JOHN ARNE RIISE has hit back at Bobby Zamora's claim that Fulham boss Martin Jol is battling a dressing room revolt.

QPR striker Zamora, who left the Cottagers in January, suggested last week that Jol is not popular with the majority of his squad.

But the Dutchman dismissed his accusations as sour grapes and Riise believes Fulham's performance in Sunday's 2-2 draw at Southampton shows the team spirit is high.

Fulham were trailing 1-0 with 20 minutes to go at St Mary's before hitting back to lead 2-1, only to be denied a rare away win by a late Jose Fonte equaliser.

And the former Liverpool full-back said: "The way we fought back shows team spirit is good and we always believe if we play our football we can score goals."

Riise is still searching for his first Fulham goal but his piledriver was turned into his own net by Jos Hooiveld for Fulham's equaliser against Saints.

He added: "I will claim an assist and I am getting closer to scoring myself."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/276178/Fulham-ace-John-Arne-Riise-slams-Bobby-Zamora-over-Martin-Jol-claims/?

WhiteJC

Chelsea 2-1 U18s

Fulham's Under-18s slipped to an unlucky 2-1 defeat to Chelsea at Motspur Park on Saturday.

The Whites were looking to bounce back after a 3-1 defeat at Liverpool last weekend ended their 100 per cent winning start to the season.

But they fell behind in the 18th minute when Ruben Loftus-Cheek arrived unmarked at the far post to tuck home Jonathan Muleba's cross.

Fulham levelled midway through the second half when Muamer Tankovic slotted in from just a few yards out.

A point was the least Fulham deserved for their efforts but it was Chelsea who snatched the win late on when Ambrose Gnahore's cross was unfortunately turned into his own net by Dean O'Hallaran.

Steve Wigley's side are next in action on Saturday 20th October when they host Crystal Palace. The Whites defeated the Eagles 4-3 earlier this season.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/09/u18s-highlights-chelsea?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss ponders Stockdale loan

MARTIN Jol insists he has had no enquiries to take David Stockdale on loan – but is willing to listen to offers for the Fulham keeper.

The 27-year-old has made just 23 appearances for the Whites since his move from Darlington in 2008, and has been forced to play second fiddle to veteran Mark Schwarzer.

Stockdale has spent time out on loan at Rotherham, Leicester, Plymouth and most recently Ipswich, and goalkeeping coach Hans Segars told the Chronicle in the summer they were keen to send him out again to get regular football.

However, there have been no takers for the England international, while fellow shot-stopper Neil Etheridge has been given the green light to join League Two Bristol Rovers for a month.

But boss Jol says he would still be willing to think about allowing Stockdale out to get game time under his belt, with Csaba Somogyi able back-up at Craven Cottage.

"As you know it always depends on other clubs as well," the Dutchman told the Chronicle.

"If there's no interest and no other clubs come in [you can't do anything]. With Neil it was different.

"If there is a club coming in for Stockdale we can think about it, but at the moment there's no other club involved."

Stockdale signed a new long-term deal with Fulham last year that ties him to SW6 until 2015, but hasn't featured for the Whites since back in February.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/10/09/82029-31996669/?#ixzz28oN2QyO2

WhiteJC

Free agent Diop set to complete one-month Birmingham move

Former West Ham and Portsmouth midfielder Papa Bouba Diop is set to sign a short-term deal with Birmingham.

The Senegal international, who also enjoyed a successful spell at Fulham, will pen a one-month contract after passing a medical and agreeing personal terms.

Short-term deal: Diop will pen a one-month contract with Birmingham

Dioup, 34, was released by West Ham at the end of last season after helping the Hammers achieve promotion back to the Barclays Premier League.

He has impressed Blues boss Lee Clark during a trial period with the npower Championship side and will finalise the switch when his visa application is confirmed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2215026/Papa-Bouba-Diop-set-join-Birmingham.html#ixzz28oNH9crL
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Ex-Fulham man gets international clearance to play for Barnet

Collins John during his time at Fulham.
Picture: Daniel Hambury/EMPICS

Barnet have received international clearance for summer signing Collins John.

The 26-year-old striker, who spent five years at Fulham between 2004 and 2009, signed for League Two Barnet in September.

The Dutchman is now in contention to make his Bees debut when they face Plymouth at Underhill on Saturday.

Head Coach Mark Robson told Barnet's official website: "It's been an extremely long two weeks waiting for Collins' clearance and we are all relieved that another piece of the jigsaw is in place.

"Collins is an experienced player and we look forward to having him available."

Barnet chairman Tony Kleanthous added: "I'd like to thank the fans for being so understanding and to my administration staff who have worked tirelessly over the past few weeks overcoming many obstacles in getting Collins clearance."

http://www.london24.com/sport/ex_fulham_man_gets_international_clearance_to_play_for_barnet_1_1649210

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

Well it's been two weeks since I last wrote for fulhamfc.com and since then we have faced Manchester City and Southampton – two games that have seen goals conceded very late on.

As we know, City took all three points at Craven Cottage with Edin Dzeko scoring in the 87th minute and then on Sunday we saw Southampton's Jose Fonte head in his second of the game in the 90th.

I actually watched the City match from Chicago, having been out there watching the Ryder Cup, and looking back, I think it was a game the Champions deserved to win really.

Mladen Petrić put us in front after 10 minutes, and from then on, it was always going to be difficult to keep that lead for so long. In many ways, an early goal can work against you – sometimes the team's natural instinct takes over and what happens then is that you sit back.

It's totally understandable, I was in similar situations as a player too, and it's difficult to overcome. Suddenly the emphasis is with City to get a goal, and gradually they started to see more and more of the ball.

With players like David Silva, Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero and Carlos Tevez on the pitch, any team would have found that a test. Just look at the players Roberto Mancini threw on to change things: Samir Nasri, Mario Balotelli and Dzeko – it just underlined their incredible strength in depth.

I always think it is better to score against the top sides late on, but of course, you take a goal whenever you can get it.

That man Aguero, a player that unfortunately always seems to play well against Fulham, levelled just before half-time, and then as we know Dzeko popped up as the game was drawing to a close and pounced on a moment of uncertainty to punish Martin Jol's boys.

It was a bitter pill to swallow, because of the timing, but I think City probably deserved it. That said, nevertheless it was a gutting experience.

Moving on from the current Barclays Premier League champions, Fulham made the trip down to the South Coast on Sunday – and although it wasn't the best game I have ever seen, it was still one that produced four goals.

Unfortunately, the fourth, was another late one conceded for Fulham. It was a disappointing finish, and for me, I think we got a little bullied towards the end.

Southampton took the lead, but after that, I always thought that we looked the most likely to go on and win the game and, until very late on, that looked to be the case after a fortuitous own goal and a first strike for Kieran Richardson.

The boy did well when he came on, and looked really lively. He was popping up all over the show and his positivity was rewarded when he got on to the end of a cross from the right. He looked so happy, I actually thought he was going to cry.

With two minutes left on the clock, my money was on Fulham to see the game through, but with virtually the last throw of the dice, the home side knocked in a deep free-kick and it goes in off Fonte.

I know Southampton hadn't got too many points on the board prior to this fixture, but I actually think this was a difficult trip for Fulham – and that a point is not to be sniffed at.

Nigel Adkins' side play some really bright football, especially at St Mary's, and there will be more than a few teams that come unstuck there as the season progresses. Already they have played both Manchester sides, Arsenal and Everton – so it's been a difficult start to the campaign for them.

I would have taken a point going into the game, I think it was just the circumstances that soured that thought. Whatever the outcome, you are never happy to concede so late in the game and as a result we saw three points turn into one.

On a side note, I must commend the fans that made the trip, because it looked like they turned out in their numbers, which is fantastic. That support helps the boys so much, and on the road perhaps that could make a difference.

With a lot of the players away now on international duty, it must be a quiet place at Motspur Park this week. It's tough for Martin Jol and his staff, because I'm sure they would have liked to have had a bit of time with their players this week, but will now have to wait until the middle of next week to get them all together again.

In terms of rhythm and momentum, it must be difficult. But I suppose they are used to it by now.

The thing that strikes me most, is how many of the squad are now involved with their countries right from the First Team down to the Under-21 and Under-18 groups. But that's a clear sign of how far the Club has come.

The international break can be a frustrating time for fans, if they are like me, they miss the buzz of matchday like nothing else. Working for Sky Sports we could be covering two, three or four games a week if there's UEFA Champions League football as well, so when that comes to a halt we really feel it.

Hopefully our players can do well though because it would be good to see as many of them as possible lining up at the 2014 World Cup in Rio. Fingers crossed they come back unscathed and ready to go.

Aston Villa are up next, and although I think they, like Southampton, have also been unlucky so far, I think Fulham should be looking at another three points. If they can do that, then 13 points from eight games would do much for another positive campaign.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/09/the-tony-gale-column?

WhiteJC

Mickael's Dream Move

Fulham fans got their first glimpse of new signing Mickael Tavares on Friday evening, when he was selected as one of the overage players in our Under-21 side that defeated Chelsea 3-1 at Craven Cottage.

The central midfielder had only formally completed his move to the Club a matter of hours prior to kick-off and the Senegal international was pleased to get everything finalised.

"My agent called me to say he'd spoken with the coach, with Martin Jol, who I worked with in Hamburg," Mickael told fulhamfc.com when asked as to how the move came about.

"After the injury to Mahamadou Diarra, Fulham needed another player in midfield so they called me and asked me to come for a few days to see if I was fit.

"I am looking forward to working with Martin Jol again. He brought me to SV Hamburger but he didn't stay for long as he moved to Ajax, so I'm very happy to see him again and I want to thank him for giving me the chance to play in the Premier League and show everybody what I can do.

"I think it's the dream for everybody to play in the Premier League. I was at Middlesbrough in the Championship and that was a good experience but the Premier League is something else so I'm very happy to be here."

Mickael played the entirety of Friday's victory over our local rivals and the 29-year-old is hopeful of getting more game-time under his belt in preparation for a full Fulham debut.

"It was good to play 90 minutes as I haven't played a full game in a long time," he said. "The first half was a little bit hard as I haven't played enough games, but the second half I think it was better and week after week I hope to improve. Hopefully after getting a bit more playing time I will be ready for the First Team.

"I'm on a short-term deal so while I'm here I want to put in some good performances to try and convince people that I deserve a longer contract."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/09/meet-mickael?