more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (15/10/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 15, 2012, 04:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL TO BAG ANDREY ARSHAVIN

FULHAM manager Martin Jol has Arsenal's restless Russian forward Andrey Arshavin on his wanted list when the transfer window opens again in January.

Arshavin, 31, is in limbo at The Emirates after becoming a bit-part player recently.

And, although several clubswant him back home in his native land, he loves living in London. The lure of playing alongside Dimitar Berbatov, 31, might be just what he needs to get his game back in gear.

Jol admits that he has money to spend following the sales of Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey to Tottenham and Arsenal's paltry £1million pound asking price would be chicken feed. Jol said: "The club's chairman Mohamed Al Fayed said before the season you can spend the same amount as last year.

"But we sold for over £30m and only bought for £8m.

"So I am 100 per cent certain he knows there is a lot in the kitty."

Another boost for Jol is that former Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos, 27, is now available for the first time this season after his foot injury.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/277016/?

WhiteJC

Memory Lane

From the past or present, we catch up with a different Fulham personality. This week, it's Ray Houghton.

Ray Houghton remains one of Fulham's best-ever free transfer signings.

The diminutive midfielder joined the Whites from West Ham United in June 1982, having made just one appearance for the Irons.

Newly-promoted to the (old) Second Division, Fulham couldn't believe their luck. With the Whites hoping to merely survive relegation, the introduction of Houghton transformed Malcolm Macdonald's side.

His pace, dribbling and passing down the left-hand side was a joy to behold. He was also not opposed to scoring a spectacular goal or two, including one memorable lob from 25 yards out in a 4-1 victory at Newcastle United in October 1982. For many years, it was a goal that was shown time and time again on Match of the Day's opening titles.

The Whites came agonisingly close to winning promotion at the end of Houghton's first season in SW6, with the winger scoring seven goals in 49 appearances in all competitions.

Two seasons later, he bettered that tally, notching 11 times in 46 league and cup games. Those goals included a last-minute winner in a 3-2 victory over Manchester City.

"I'm not one for reminiscing too much, but I did catch an old Fulham game against Grimsby Town on the television a while back from the season we should have got promoted and it was great to see some of the old faces," Ray told fulhamfc.com.

"Big Brownie [Roger Brown], God rest him, was there, Galey [Tony Gale] was looking slim, Robert Wilson, I could go on."

With Houghton bombing down the left, Sean O'Driscoll was on the right, with Ray Lewington and Robert Wilson in the centre of the park. It's a formation, that Houghton believes was ahead of its time.

"A great story is I met with another member of the football family who's now gone, Ray Harford, a few years back," said Ray, now aged 50. "He was on the backroom staff at Fulham when I joined and later became Manager.

"I saw him a couple of years before he died and he was talking about how, in his opinion, Fulham introduced the diamond formation. It's seen as some new-fangled modern-day tactic, but Fulham certainly did play with a diamond formation during my time there.

"We had Sean O'Driscoll on the right of midfield, me on the left, Ray Lewington sitting deep and Robert Wilson pushing on. That was the start of the diamond for me, something that people have started only really using over the last few years. Ray was one of the ones who helped invent it."

He added: "I've got great memories of my time at Fulham. I still remember when I first met Malcolm Macdonald at Craven Cottage when he was trying to get me to sign."

Houghton played five games for Fulham at the start of the 1985/86 season. Sadly, though, he became one of many stars sold by the Club to balance the books, with Oxford United snapping him for a bargain fee in September 1985.

In total, he played 145 times for Fulham, bagging 21 goals.

At Oxford, he won a League Cup winners' medal, scoring one of the goals in the 1986 Final win over Queens Park Rangers.

Liverpool was his next stop in 1987 and the honours flowed. He won two league championships in 1988 and 190 as well as the FA Cup in 1989 and 1992.

He also became a regular for the Republic of Ireland, winning 73 caps. Despite his strong Glaswegian accent, Ray qualified for Ireland via his father's nationality. He was in the Ireland side which famously reached the Quarter-Finals of the World Cup in 1990. Four years later, he scored as Ireland shocked Italy in a 1-0 group win at the Giants Stadium in New York.

He also famously scored the only goal as Jack Charlton's men beat England in a European Championship clash in Stuttgart in 1988, a feat which means Ray isn't likely to ever need to pay for a pint of Guinness ever again!

Houghton moved from Anfield to Villa Park in July 1992 for the first season of the new Premier League.

"In my first season at Villa, we finished second," mused Houghton. "Today you'd be heralded as stars for finishing in that position. We had a fabulous season with some really good footballers and we narrowly missed out on the title to Manchester United.

"It was up for grabs until the last few games of the season. I remember us going to Old Trafford and drawing 1-1 with Steve Staunton getting our goal and Mark Hughes getting the equaliser for them. If we'd have won that day, we probably would have gone on to win the league, that's how close we were.

"Then you had United playing Sheffield Wednesday and playing until United won! They added on about 20 minutes at the end - that's how I remember it anyway!

"Villa was a good club, though. It's a club steeped in history and tradition, similar to Fulham in that respect."

Villa, of course, are Fulham's next opponents, with Houghton admitting he can't see anything but a win for the Whites.

"Fulham at Craven Cottage are a tough team to play against and you don't get much out of them," he stated. "Villa will need to be at their best – the only good thing for them is that maybe being away from home will take some of the pressure of them. That might be to their advantage, not having the fans on their backs. They went to Newcastle United recently and got a really good point."

After Villa, with whom he won the League Cup in 1994, it was a case of friends reunited for Houghton as he teamed up with his former Fulham teammate Ray Lewington, manager of Crystal Palace at the time, in March 1995.

Stints as a player-coach at Reading with ex-Fulham man Terry Bullivant and non-League Stevenage Borough followed, before Houghton finally hung up his boots in 2000. When he finally called it a day, he had appeared in over 700 league and cup games, scoring 94 goals.

"I've enjoyed my time at every club I've played at," said Ray, now a regular on the punditry circuit. "I think you're very fortunate to play football for a living. It's a marvelous part of your life, to go out there and do something that you love."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/14/memory-lane?

WhiteJC

Fulham star ready for test of former Man Utd favourite

Aaron Hughes expects Cristiano Ronaldo to be at his world-beating best when Northern Ireland take on Portugal on Tuesday night.

The Real Madrid superstar is set to win his 100th cap in the World Cup qualifier at Porto's Dragao Stadium, and few would bet against him marking the occasion in style.

Northern Ireland, albeit weakened by withdrawals, leaked six goals in Holland in a summer friendly and Ronaldo will surely fancy his chances of getting on the scoresheet on his big day.

Fulham centre-half Hughes is one of the men charged with confounding expectations, but he cannot hide his admiration for a player who has scored 14 times in 11 club matches this season.

"I have played a handful of times against him but maybe he has gone another level since his days in the Premier League, and maybe he can go further," said Hughes.

"He has gone and become just as successful in Spain and maybe there's more to come from him.

"I don't think he has peaked, believe it or not. He is still going and appears to be getting better.

"Lionel Messi and Ronaldo are the two who stand out as the best two in the world."

Hughes is holding out minimal hope of an off-day for the rampaging forward, which could spell bad news for a Northern Ireland side who have taken just one point from their first two matches in Group F.

"He is one of those players who makes you feel as if he has been around forever and playing forever, so the fact he's reaching 100 caps already doesn't surprise me, even at 27," said Hughes, himself a veteran on 82 international appearances.

"He is more than worthy of that, but that - whether it is his 100th or his 10th - what makes players great like that is they play like that every time and rarely have an off-night.

"The best players play at that level every single night whether it is the first game of the season, a windy night in November or the Champions League, it is just their way.

"It's not just technical ability, it is the attitude to reproduce that every single night. You look at sport in general, the likes of Michael Jordan, they are the best."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_ready_for_test_of_former_man_utd_favourite_1_1655687

WhiteJC

Fulham defender Senderos ready for return to action
The Switzerland international is yet to feature so far this season as he recovers from a foot injury but, after appearing for the club's Under-21 team, is on the comeback trail

Fulham defender Philippe Senderos is eager to return to first-team action after missing the entire season so far with a foot injury.

The Switzerland international has struggled with fitness issues ever since his arrival at Craven Cottage from Arsenal in the summer of 2010, but did recover to assert himself as a regular under manager Martin Jol last term.

"It's nice to be back," Senderos told the club's official website. "I've been training with the reserves so that was my second game. I'm really happy, I'm really pleased. The sensations are good."

The former Arsenal man did concede, however, that considering the club's good start to the season, it may be difficult for him to retain his place at the heart of Fulham's backline.

"I'm pleased the team is doing well in my absence as well so it's good," said Senderos. "It's been a pretty good start and we're really happy with it.
"The team has responded really well and hopefully, for me personally, I can get my chance and grab it and be in the team. I'm available for selection so hopefully I will start again very soon."

The Cottagers are currently ninth in the Premier League table and face Aston Villa in their first fixture after the international break.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/10/14/3449925/-?

WhiteJC

Socceroos must 'wake up' against Iraq: Schwarzer

Mark Schwarzer says the Socceroos have to 'wake up to themselves' ahead of the crucial tie against Iraq.
(Getty Images: Syamsul Bahri Muhammad)

Socceroos goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is expecting Australia to lift significantly for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Iraq in Doha.

Australia must beat Iraq to stay within reach of automatic qualification for the 2014 showpiece in Brazil.

Schwarzer says the Socceroos will rebound from their previous qualifier loss to Jordan.

"A very big reaction [is needed]," he said.

"We talked about it at the beginning of the week and also at various points throughout the week about how important it is, particularly the older players, the more experienced players to step up and not only lift their own performances but also demand it from the other players as well."

Schwarzer has called on his team-mates to 'wake up to themselves' after a disappointing start to the qualifying campaign, saying he was disgusted with the 2-1 loss to Jordan in September.

"Obviously I wasn't happy and I made sure that everyone was aware of that," Schwarzer said.

"They shouldn't be happy with anything that went on in that game and we need to do a lot better.

"We need to take a hard look at ourselves, otherwise we're going to be looking at the exit."

Midfielder Matt McKay says players are feeling the pressure ahead of the Iraq clash and that they recognise the significance of the match.

"Obviously with the opening games that we've had so far in this group, the build up, the pressure on this game - it's a massive fixture for all of us and we all know that," he said.

"We need to get three points out of it really to push our campaign back on track."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-15/socceroos-must-wake-up-against-iraq/4313322?section=sport

WhiteJC

Five Ages of Ray Lewington

I initially began writing this before Ray left the club to assist Roy Hodgson with the England squad. It's taken a while, maybe I missed the boat a little in marking his departure but an International break seems like the right time to finally publish it. It started off as a kind of top five (people who know me will understand my preference for that format) and I retained the basic structure but sometime in the writing it morphed into something huge. I hope it's not telling you too much you already know it's intended as a tribute to a man who has been a huge part of the club and who I think deserves a bit of credit. Hats off to Ray!

Ray Lewington was, in one form or another, involved with Fulham almost the entire time I've supported the club. Joining as a player in the early eighties he moved into coaching before becoming manager during some of our most difficult years. After a break in which he enhanced his coaching and managerial credentials at Crystal Palace, Brentford and Watford he returned to the backroom staff under Chris Coleman and during that post-Sanchez and post-Hodgson periods Ray again stepped in to keep the club stable. Having been offered a "job for life" by Al Fayed in recognition of his efforts he was shifted around various backroom posts. In the end his recent elevation to the England staff is perhaps the best reward for his many years loyal service.

1. Player (1980-1985) – Despite having played 85 times for our less erudite neighbours Ray did not take long to win the Fulham faithful over. Arriving at the end of the 1979-81 season, after a short spell at Wimbledon, he proved himself a willing worker who enabled other players to shine. Starting most regularly on the left wing he was fiercely competitive, a consistent performer who rarely took the limelight but always gave his best.

He was too late to prevent Fulham's slide into relegation but was a mainstay in the young side that Malcolm MacDonald put together and his experience helped us win promotion back to the Second Division in 1982. The '82-'83 season saw us close to achieving back to back promotions and reaching the top flight for the first time since the late sixties. Lewington was an ever present in the league that season and remained a first team regular as that side was sold off player by player. Ray stayed longer than most but was eventually sold to Sheffield United in July of 1985.

2. Player/Manager (1986-1990) – Less than a year later Ray was back at Fulham. Following relegation to the Third Division, Ray Harford was sacked and the club came under new ownership with dubious intentions. Lewington stepped into the breach and received something of a baptism of fire into the world of management. Early results were mixed and included that famous 10-0 thrashing at Anfield in the League Cup. Eventually it would emerge that the owners Marler Estates intended to capitalise on the value of the land at Craven Cottage by merging the club with QPR and developing flats on the ground. It was a dark period in our history and throughout it Lewington was a stabilising influence. Having flirted with relegation in his first season we steadily improved.

Jimmy Hill led a takeover in 1987 and though we still did not own the ground we had received a stay of execution as a club. Results for Lewington began to improve and in 1989 we achieved our first appearance in an end of season playoff. After a narrow defeat in the first leg at Bristol Rovers we were thumped 4-0 at the cottage. The following season Rovers would win the league whilst Fulham struggled and avoided relegation by a single point.

3. Caretaker Manager (1991,1994) – Alan Dicks took over in the summer of 1990 and Lewington was effectively demoted to first team coach. Dicks benefited from an influx of money from the ongoing ground ownership situation and, according to Dennis Turner in 1995's "Fulham – The Team" managed the worst playing record in our history with "the most expensively assembled Fulham side ever". Dicks had made a complete hash of the job and we missed relegation that year by two points and a huge slice of luck (league restructuring meant only three sides went down). Dicks survived through to the following November (despite the regular, and unintentionally hilarious, chants of "Dicks Out!") but finally lost his job following a 2-0 home defeat to non-league Hayes in the FA Cup.

Ray stepped in as caretaker for the remainder of the year until Don Mackay's arrival in the New Year. MacKay initially appeared to have turned things around but with nine games to go in the '93-94 season Fulham were 17th and in trouble again. A particularly chaotic performance at Leyton Orient saw Jimmy Hill storm into the dressing room at half time and relieve MacKay of his duties. Lewington was given his second opportunity as caretaker manager but could not ignite the required change in form and, despite an enjoyable 2-1 win at Brentford along the way, a 2-1 loss at Swansea saw us relegated to the lowest tier for the first time in our history.

4. Reserve/Assistant Manager (2005-2010) – It was the right thing for Ray to leave the club when he did, a fresh start was needed not just for the club but also for Ray. He had spells at Crystal Palace, Brentford and Watford, all clubs where he began as a coach and ended up in either a caretaker or permanent role as manager. At Watford it seemed he'd done little wrong, achieving consistent mid-table finishes amidst familiar financial difficulties. He returned to the Cottage with Watford for a pre-season friendly in 2004 and received a very warm welcome. The same season, following a run of poor results, he was sacked. At the start of the next season Chris Coleman, perhaps beginning to feel a bit of pressure himself, brought Lew back to the club as Reserve Team Manager.

Following Coleman's dismissal towards the end of the 2006-07 season Ray stepped into a first team coaching role alongside caretaker manager Lawrie Sanchez. When things imploded for Sanchez it was Ray the club turned to for his third spell as caretaker manager. He kept the ship steady over the Christmas period and, despite a drubbing at Spurs, picked up important points at home to Wigan and away at Birmingham.

When Roy Hodgson arrived he was happy to work with the existing coaching team and Lewington became assistant manager. Ray would make a big contribution to the success we achieved in this period and it must have been incredible for him to be involved with a Fulham side that reached the Europa League final a mere 16 years after he'd seen us drop into the basement division. Once again he was called into action as caretaker manager following Hodgson's departure to Liverpool. He faced no competitive games during that period but undoubtedly played an important role in maintaining morale and ensuring the team was ready for the start of the season.

5. Various coaching roles (2010 – 2012) – Mark Hughes appointment saw him turn up with a veritable menagerie of assistants and coaches. Despite this, and thanks to Al Fayed's recognition, Lew remained as a first team coach. However as the season progressed it was clear that Ray wasn't going to have much of a role on match days and he was eventually dropped from the main coaching team and given the job of leading the club's Youth Development Program.

One of Maarten Jol's first acts after replacing Hughes in June 2011 was to reinstate Lewington as First Team Coach in June 2011. Jol said at the time "We started off with him because he's a main figure here, at this club, he knows everything". More recently it seems they may have fallen out, yet again Ray was dropped to Reserve Team manager and Billy McKinlay replaced him on the bench.

When Roy requested Lewington to help him with the England job there was a mini tug-of-love. Perhaps that had more to do with Al Fayed feeling slighted by Hodgson than any desire to really hold back Ray but compensation was agreed and Lew now finds himself at the very top of the pile again.

As a player between 1979 and 1990 he made over 270 appearances and scored 24 goals. As a manager he was in charge for over 200 matches in five separate spells during which he achieved 70 wins, 59 draws and 81 loses. He won't be remembered as one of our most successful but he certainly deserves to be considered one of our most dedicated.

A Fulham legend in any sense of the word.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/10/15/five-ages-of-ray-lewington/?

WhiteJC

Berbatov Reveals He's Writing Memoirs

Photo by Facebook

Fulham forward Dimitar Berbatov has revealed that he is preparing an autobiography.

In an interview for the Bulgarian Nova TV on Sunday, Berbatov said that Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson "felt bad" when the forward told him that he wanted to leave Old Trafford.

The prolific forward commented on his specific style of play, saying that he has no intention of altering it.

"I have played that way and that's how I will play, perhaps this is why people like me. I'm trying to think ahead like a chess player," he explained, admitting that his style of play has sometimes got him into trouble.

"He saw that I was playing this kind of football, perhaps that is why he snapped me up. As time went by, they started playing more straightforward, and that was it," Berbatov commented on his relations with Ferguson and the Red Devils.

The 31-year-old Bulgarian reiterated that he is getting on very well with Fulham coach Martin Jol, saying that he was referring to Jol as "The Godfather."

Berbatov declared that family is now the top priority in his life.

He also revealed that he liked to identify himself with maverick doctor Gregory House from the popular TV series House M.D.

It is still unclear when Berbatov's autobiography will come out.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=144139

WhiteJC

Hangeland Grabs a Point

In World Cup Qualifying Group E, Norway continues to do their upmost to qualify for the finals in Brazil.

With John Arne Riise and Brede Hangeland amongst their ranks, they`re a country we`re following with an element of keenness.

So far, the Norwegians, having played three games, have won once loss once and drawn once.

Their latest fixture, on Friday, saw them travel to Switzerland to take on the Swiss.

With the game delicately balanced at 0-0, Switzerland took the lead, in the seventy-ninth minute, through Gavranovic.

Thankfully Norwegian heads didn`t drop and it was our own Brede Hangeland who grabbed a vital equaliser, two minutes later, giving the visitors a share of the points.

Bravo Brede.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=296483#ixzz29NRdNcmO

WhiteJC

Berbatov: Martin Jol is 'the Godfather' and Ferguson 'felt bad' when I told him I wanted out

Dimitar Berbatov has made a great start at Fulham.
Photo: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov has hailed manager Martin Jol, describing him as 'the Godfather'.

QPR frontman Bobby Zamora claimed that most of the squad did not like the Dutchman however the former Manchester United man insisted that was not the case as far as he is concerned.

The Bulgarian also claimed that Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson 'felt bad' when he told him that he wanted to leave.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/berbatov_martin_jol_is_the_godfather_and_ferguson_felt_bad_when_i_told_him_i_wanted_out_1_1655781

WhiteJC

Fulham defender admits he faces battle for first-team spot

Fulham defender Philippe Senderos is itching to return to first-team action after being ruled out of the opening weeks with a foot injury.

The Swiss international has seen the Whites make a good start in the Premier League and knows he faces a battle to force himself into the first-team again after making his comeback in a reserve game.

"I'm pleased the team is doing well in my absence as well so it's good," said Senderos. "It's been a pretty good start and we're really happy with it.

"The team has responded really well and hopefully, for me personally, I can get my chance and grab it and be in the team. I'm available for selection so hopefully I will start again very soon."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_defender_admits_he_faces_battle_for_first_team_spot_1_1655787

WhiteJC

FULHAM'S STEPHEN KELLY REFUSED TO BOARD REPUBLIC OF IRELAND PLANE AFTER A ROW WITH MARCO TARDELLI

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni's relations with the squad appear to have soured even more, with defender Stephen Kelly initially refusing to board a flight to the Faroe Islands.

The Fulham player wouldn't get on the plane after arguing with assistant manager Marco Tardelli in the final training session before the squad was due to depart.

The right-back is the latest in a growing list of players to fall out with the Republic's Italian backroom team.

Kelly only travelled to the Faroe Islands after Trapattoni himself and senior FAI officials stepped in to diffuse the situation.

The 29-year-old was not selected for Friday night's humiliating 1-6 defeat at home to Germany.

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2012/10/fulhams-stephen-kelly-refused-to-board-republic-of-ireland-plane-after-a-row-with-marco-tardelli/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

WhiteJC

Fulham Focus - Jol looking for real Bryan Ruiz to stand up

When Martin Jol delightedly announced Fulham's signing of Bryan Ruiz from FC Twente at the end of the 2011 summer transfer window, it was very much seen as a coup for the West London outfit.

At £10.6m, Ruiz was hardly cheap but he arrived at Craven Cottage as the recent Dutch Player of the Year having led Twente to an unlikely title in the 2009-10 season. Indeed, such was Ruiz's talent that both Tottenham and Newcastle were extremely keen to secure his signature.

However, though he has been indulged by Fulham supporters and particularly by Jol, who sees the Costa Rican as a key member of his first team squad, Ruiz has been a pretty abject disappointment ever since his arrival. His debut against Blackburn, which saw Ruiz removed at half time, set the tone for a desperate campaign that saw him only score twice and none at all in 2012 before a broken foot ended his season in April.

This season was supposed to be a different story. Not only did Ruiz have a full season of Premier League football and importantly a pre-season training campaign behind him, the departures of Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey paved the way for Ruiz to become the cornerstone of Fulham's attack. Last season, Ruiz often appeared marginalised and on the edges of matches, but his abilities with the ball almost demand his constant involvement.

In fairness to the 27-year-old, the campaign started brightly enough, particularly with his stellar performances first in the opening day 5-0 destruction over Norwich and then in the defeat at Manchester United the following weekend. Ruiz may have failed to get on the scoresheet but at least there appeared to be a spark to his play and a physicality that he often lacked last season, leaving him brushed off the ball too easily at times.

However, injury intervened once again, and with the signing of Dimitar Berbatov - brought in to be the focal point of the Cottagers' attacking play - Ruiz appears to be on the fringes of matters once again.

Observers of the Eredivise will proclaim that at Twente, Ruiz was the complete forward - able to create and score almost at will. His goals were not always things of beauty either with his repertoire including a fantastic aerial ability. The problem is that in the Premier League, Ruiz simply appears too soft to play in his preferred central position.

In the Dutch league, Ruiz's height and skill on the ball enabled him to handle most of what was thrown at him. However, in England, height can only get you so far and where the Costa Rican had time to do whatever he wanted in Holland, the ball is often whisked away from his feet in an instant at Craven Cottage.

Martin Jol will be hoping that with the arrival of Berbatov will just take the pressure off Ruiz somewhat and bring the best out of his expensive front-man.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_17119_fulham-focus-jol-looking-for-real-bryan-ruiz-to-stand-up.html

WhiteJC

Kelly Threatens To Abandon Ireland Squad
by LRCN on OCTOBER 15, 2012

Stephen Kelly has 32 caps for the Republic Of Ireland

Fulham full-back Stephen Kelly has never appeared to be that much of a troublemaker, but that reputation was blown out of the water during this week's International period when an argument with Ireland assistant coach Marco Tardelli escalated to the point where Kelly refused to travel with the squad for Tuesday's match against the Faroe Islands.

The argument was supposed to have happened after Sunday's last training session and follows on from Ireland's dismal showing in the 6-1 defeat to Germany, during which he only featured on the substitute's bench. Manager Giovanni Trapettoni successfully intervened, but it's unlikely that he will start tomorrow as a result and just serves to reinforce the reputation that Ireland's management team falls out with players too readily.

LRCN

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/10/kelly-threatens-to-abandon-ireland-squad/?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder could be set for January move

Fulham midfielder Pajtim Kasami could leave the club in January, according to Swiss newspaper Sonntags Zeitung.

Kasami, who signed from Serie A side Palermo in 2011, has struggled to establish himself in manager Martin Jol's first team despite the recent departures of Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey.

The 20-year-old, who featured for Switzerland at the recent Olympic Games, made three league starts last term, and he is thought to be growing frustrated at Craven Cottage having managed just 24 minutes of Premier League action this season.

And the midfielder is believed to be considering his future, leaving Jol with a battle to keep him in west London.

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/121015/fulham-midfielder-could-be-set-january-move-183119?#9D1IQUQUiPBqC1d6.99

WhiteJC

Crocked Grygera offered Fulham lifeline

MARTN Jol insists the door is still open for Zdenek Grygera to earn a new deal at Fulham.

The versatile Czech defender is out of contract after suffering cruciate ligament damage back in November last year, but has been training with the Whites in a bid to earn fresh terms.

Grygera was nearing full fitness after playing a handful of games for the reserves, only to pick up a thigh problem a fortnight ago.

The 32-year-old faces another month on the sidelines, but boss Jol insists he could still stay at Craven Cottage if he proves his fitness.

"Grygera was very unfortunate," said the Dutchman.

"He came back and was almost 90 per cent fit, trained with us and played with the reserves.

"But he had a setback and will be out for four or five weeks, and that's exactly what he didn't need because he was on the fringe of getting another contract with us for this season.

"The situation hasn't changed. He's here on a different basis because he's not under contract, but we will have to wait and see if he can come back."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/10/15/82029-32034889/?#ixzz29NU8aa3g

WhiteJC

Loan Watch

Two of the Club's goalkeeping prospects impressed once more with Neil Etheridge and Marcus Bettinelli doing much for the points that Bristol Rovers and Dartford picked up over the weekend.

Etheridge was in fine form again, as League Two Rovers faced a Burton Albion side unbeaten in their last seven league matches. While the Philippines international was busy keeping the home side out, at the other end, David Clarkson opened the scoring.

However as Albion went in search of an equaliser, despite three superb stops, Etheridge was finally beaten when Billy Kee nodded in from Lee Bell's free-kick.

Bettinelli was also in inspired form as Dartford maintained their Play-Off hopes with a 0-0 draw at Barrow. Dartford occupy sixth spot in the Conference Premier, one point off Grimsby and Forest Green who sit fourth and fifth respectively and three off second-placed Wrexham and third-placed Luton.

Elsewhere in the Conference Premier, Richard Peniket entered the action on 79 minutes for Kidderminster Harriers, but his side would slip to a 1-0 defeat at Stockport.

The young striker had little time to make an impression, and with fellow strugglers Lincoln City stunning Wrexham with a 4-2 victory, Peniket's side now find themselves in the bottom four.

Further up the leagues there was also defeat for Dan Burn's Yeovil Town, who lost narrowly to League One leaders Tranmere Rovers.

At 2-0, Burn (pictured above right) and his teammates looked in control, however, the home side hit back thanks to strikes from James Wallace and Jake Cassidy. Yeovil had Joe Edwards sent off for two yellow cards before Danny Holmes struck 12 minutes from time.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/15/loan-watch?

WhiteJC

Great Expectations

After a mixed debut campaign at Craven Cottage and following the departures of Mousa Dembélé and Clint Dempsey – Bryan Ruiz knows that expectations are now even greater.

Having arrived in SW6 on the final day of the 2011 summer transfer window, the Costa Rican's signing was greeted with much excitement. And rightly so, for here was a player that had scored for fun and wowed crowds for the past two Eredivisie seasons.

As the 2011/12 season gathered pace, the 27-year-old is honest enough to admit that he struggled with the initial transition, however, we saw enough to suggest that the former FC Twente forward could become a key player at Craven Cottage.

A demonstration of that impact was evident in his performances in the defeats of Liverpool and Arsenal, while his two strikes against Everton and Bolton Wanderers are up there with some of Fulham's greatest.

"I don't think Fulham fans have seen the best of me yet," said Bryan to Fultime. "Last season I found it hard at times, and there were a couple of injuries too that didn't help. Of course, it could have gone better, but I did a few things to show people what I have, and for sure, this season I'll do my best for the fans.

"Mousa and Clint have both left. They were two players that could do many things on the football pitch. But now we don't have them, and as a result, I do feel a bit more responsibility on my shoulders.

"But I've had pressure before when I was at Twente and it's the same for the national team – so I don't mind that kind of pressure. I know that I can make a difference."

Ruiz was widely recognized as one of the best players plying their trade outside of Europe's top bracket leagues. In scoring an astonishing 39 goals in 61 for his former club, at times, the player was unplayable.

At the end of his first season in Holland his 24 goals had helped Steve McLaren's Twente to the Eredivisie title for the first time in their history. Included in that tally was a crucial winning striker against second-placed Ajax and seven goals in the last eight matches.

"That first year was probably the best football I have played in my career so far," explained Bryan, who was awarded Twente's player of the season in 2010. "I signed for a team which had never been champions and in my first year I scored 24 goals and we won the league. It was an unforgettable moment.

"It did much for future, suddenly people were taking interest. I enjoyed my time in Holland, but I wanted to play in one of the best leagues in the world. I liked La Liga in Spain and also the Premier League.

"There were teams from both leagues that wanted me, but Fulham was the club that showed the most interest. I admit that I didn't know a lot about the Club but I watched some videos and talked to people and then I was convinced that Fulham was the best option. It just seemed like a good club and a good place to be."

Having overcome injury and adjusting to life in England, Ruiz is determined to be a success on the banks of the Thames. Ambitious and steadfast in his desire to be the best he can be, there is no doubt that the 2012/13 campaign is an important one for our number 11.

"I really want to do well for Fulham," he added. "My first season was a bit hit and miss, but sometimes it takes a while for a new signing to find their feet. I showed what I could do at times and now I am used to the physical demands of the Premier League, I want to repay Fulham for bringing me to England.

"The fans have been very supportive as well. They appreciate good football at Fulham, which is how I like to play and hopefully we will see a lot of that over the rest of the season."

To read more of Bryan's insightful feature interview, be sure to pick up your copy of Issue 39 of Fultime magazine which is free to Season Ticket Holders and in store from Wednesday. The latest edition also includes in-depth discussion from Manager Martin Jol, new Colombian striker Hugo Rodallega, Academy Director Huw Jennings and pop sensation Example. We also take you into the home of Kerim Frei and Matthew Briggs and launch part one of the 100 Men That Shaped Fulham Football Club.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/15/great-expectations?

ScalleysDad

Blimey I'm suprised the board did not implode with the Fulham Focus Ruiz article.
On a more down to earth point it is a shame Lewington did'nt get a farewell match where he could have led the tem out.