more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (16/10/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 16, 2012, 04:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Ruiz: Fulham haven't seen me at my best

Bryan Ruiz has admitted that Fulham fans are yet to see him at his best – but insists he's up to the task of replacing departed duo Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey.

The Costa Rican had mixed debut season at Craven Cottage, scoring only twice in 28 appearances as he adapted to the pace of the Premier League following a successful two year spell with FC Twente.

But now, with the Cottagers losing Dembele and Dempsey, Ruiz has insisted he can raise his game and fill the void the players, now both Tottenham, have left behind.

"I don't think Fulham fans have seen the best of me yet," he told Fultime. "Last season I found it hard at times, and there were a couple of injuries too that didn't help. Of course, it could have gone better, but I did a few things to show people what I have, and for sure, this season I'll do my best for the fans.

"Mousa and Clint have both left. They were two players that could do many things on the football pitch. But now we don't have them, and as a result, I do feel a bit more responsibility on my shoulders.

"But I've had pressure before when I was at Twente and it's the same for the national team – so I don't mind that kind of pressure. I know that I can make a difference.

"I really want to do well for Fulham. My first season was a bit hit and miss, but sometimes it takes a while for a new signing to find their feet. I showed what I could do at times and now I am used to the physical demands of the Premier League, I want to repay Fulham for bringing me to England.

"The fans have been very supportive as well. They appreciate good football at Fulham, which is how I like to play and hopefully we will see a lot of that over the rest of the season."

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/121015/ruiz-fulham-haven%E2%80%99t-seen-me-my-best-183159?#Vj1TYD0fPmDcbkcO.99

WhiteJC

Three changes for Ireland as Trapattoni denies Kelly row rumours

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has denied reports that Stephen Kelly was involved in a row with his assistant manager Marco Tardelli before boarding the team's flight to the Faroe Islands.

Kelly was reportedly upset after he was left out of the side for last Friday's defeat to Germany, but Trapattoni said it is "not true" that the defender had initially refused to get on the plane with the rest of the squad.

Trap has also said that he does not believe that tomorrow's match will be his last game in charge of the Ireland team and also insists that he intends to remain in the job.

Kelly has been left out of the starting team for tomorrow's game, but Trapattoni has made three changes to his starting team, with Robbie Brady and Marc Wilson getting a chance to impress.

Stoke's Wilson will replace Stephen Ward at left-back, while Brady starts in place of Simon Cox.

The other change will see team captain Robbie Keane return in place of Keith Fahey, with the team set to revert to a 4-4-2 formation.

Faroe Islands (V REP OF IRELAND): Westwood, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Wilson, Brady, Andrews, McCarthy, McGeady, Keane, Walters.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/three-changes-for-ireland-as-trapattoni-denies-kelly-row-rumours-570656.html?

WhiteJC

Schwarzer backs new-look Socceroos defence

Socceroos goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer believes Australia's makeshift defence is ready to rise to the occasion in their World Cup qualifier against Iraq in Qatar.

Coach Holger Osieck has been forced to change the left side of Australia's starting backline, with Matt McKay and Matthew Spiranovic replacing the club-less David Carney and injured Sasa Ognenovski respectively.

The national team's defence has come in for criticism since the start of the final round of World Cup qualifying in June.

With Australia sitting on two points after three matches, the Socceroos need their defenders to hold firm against world No.80 Iraq in Doha on Tuesday night (Wednesday morning AEDT).

Advertisement
Schwarzer said McKay and Spiranovic were up to the task.

"They've played there before, they're all very experienced boys," he said.

"We've had the time now, nearly a week under our belts to work on the training field.

"It's been very positive."

Osieck said playing midfielder McKay at left back was a temporary move.

"It's just an emergency solution," he said.

"Right now due to the fact there are no alternatives.

"Whoever would have come into consideration is not available.

"There are maybe three others for that position, (Michael) Zullo, (Jason) Davidson and (David) Carney, but for different reasons they are not here.

"So the only option I see is Matty because he is very versatile, he's a very intelligent player and he can adapt to different positions."

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/schwarzer-backs-newlook-socceroos-defence-20121016-27nhu.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham forward Bryan Ruiz wants to repay the club with improved season

Bryan Ruiz: Fulham forward aiming to show supporters what he can do this season

Bryan Ruiz insists Fulham fans have not seen the best of him yet as he plans to star for the club this season.

The Cottagers lost Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey to Tottenham in August but Ruiz is ready to take it upon himself to ensure they are not missed too much.

"I don't think Fulham fans have seen the best of me yet," the Costa Rica international told Fulham's official magazine Fultime.

"Last season I found it hard at times, and there were a couple of injuries too that didn't help.

"Of course, it could have gone better, but I did a few things to show people what I have, and for sure, this season I'll do my best for the fans.

"Mousa and Clint have both left. They were two players that could do many things on the football pitch. But now we don't have them, and as a result, I do feel a bit more responsibility on my shoulders.

"But I've had pressure before when I was at Twente and it's the same for the national team - so I don't mind that kind of pressure. I know that I can make a difference."

First

Ruiz gained his reputation in Holland as he helped Steve McClaren's Twente win the Eredivisie title for the first time in their history in 2010.

"That first year (he left for Fulham in 2011) was probably the best football I have played in my career so far," added the 27-year-old forward.

"Now I am used to the physical demands of the Premier League, I want to repay Fulham for bringing me to England."
Bryan Ruiz

"I signed for a team which had never been champions and in my first year I scored 24 goals and we won the league. It was an unforgettable moment.

"It did much for future, suddenly people were taking interest. I enjoyed my time in Holland, but I wanted to play in one of the best leagues in the world. I liked La Liga in Spain and also the Premier League.

"There were teams from both leagues that wanted me, but Fulham was the club that showed the most interest.

"I admit that I didn't know a lot about the club but I watched some videos and talked to people and then I was convinced that Fulham was the best option. It just seemed like a good club and a good place to be."

"I really want to do well for Fulham," he added. "My first season was a bit hit and miss, but sometimes it takes a while for a new signing to find their feet.

"I showed what I could do at times and now I am used to the physical demands of the Premier League, I want to repay Fulham for bringing me to England.

"The fans have been very supportive as well. They appreciate good football at Fulham, which is how I like to play and hopefully we will see a lot of that over the rest of the season."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8167051/?

WhiteJC

Fulham to bid £300k for Plymouth stopper Walton as Premier League rivals circle

Fulham are lining up a £300,000 move for Plymouth's teenage goalkeeper Christian Walton.

The 18-year-old has got Premier League scouts flocking to the League Two club to check on his progress.

On the lookout: Martin Jol wants to add Plymouth's young goalkeeper to his ranks

But Martin Jol is ready to table an offer to secure a deal before his rivals can snap him up.

The Cottagers currently have two goalkeeping prospects out on loan, Neil Etheridge and Marcus Bettinelli, at Bristol Rovers and Dartford respectively.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2218171/Fulham-chase-Plymouth-goalkeeper-Christian-Walton.html#ixzz29QidNlmG
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Schwarzer's rivals stay at arm's length

At an age when he should be pushed aside by his younger rivals, Mark Schwarzer has tightened his grip as Australia's No.1 goalkeeper.

The Socceroos great celebrated his 40th birthday this month in the knowledge that Australia's next best shot-stoppers have failed to put a glove on him.

Reading's Adam Federici has slid out of view following a disastrous start to the English Premier League (EPL) season while Mitchell Langerak and Brad Jones remain content to play second fiddle at club level.

As for Nathan Coe, he is looking for a club.

Schwarzer quipped that he was a "very selfish person" and wasn't concerned about the lack of pressure coming from his compatriots.

But the lack of players turning out regularly at club level in Europe, does bother him.

"It has been going on for a number of years now," he said.

"It is not a new sort of epidemic, it has been a concern for a number of years now."

Langerak, 24, is viewed by many as Schwarzer's long-term successor.

The former Melbourne Victory player is in his third season at German champions Borussia Dortmund with Roman Weidenfeller firmly entrenched as No.1.

Langerak is contracted until the end of 2016 while 30-year-old Jones is behind Pepe Reina at Liverpool.

"He (Langerak) is a very talented boy and he has improved a lot since he first came to Germany," Schwarzer said.

But for Schwarzer, No.2 is still No.2. No matter the age.

"I think just because one is 24 and one is 30 does not make a difference really in a lot of ways," he said.

"I started playing regular football in Europe when I was 24."

Schwarzer said players should not be afraid to step outside their comfort zone to earn regular minutes.

"Sometimes you have to take a sidewards step, sometimes you have to take a backwards step in your career to get playing football," he said.

"Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward.

"There is no shame in it for any other player, dropping down a level or to a smaller club to further your career."

Schwarzer is out of contract at Fulham next year and will need another 12-month deal to see him through to a potential third World Cup in 2014.

"I'm doing the best job in the world, so why do I want to stop?," he said.

He is keen on remaining in the EPL and it is not up to him to find his replacement in the national team.

"It is what it is, I can't change what anyone else is doing," he said.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/breaking-news-sport/schwarzers-rivals-stay-at-arms-length-20121016-27np9.html#ixzz29Qj59Wjm

WhiteJC

Rumours over Kelly increase pressure on Trapattoni

Giovanni Trapattoni, the Republic of Ireland manager, will turn to youth and experience tonight as he attempts to recover from the heavy defeat to Germany in Dublin on Friday evening. Robbie Keane, the all-time record Irish goalscorer, will return up front. Robbie Brady, the 20-year-old midfielder from Manchester United, will make his first competitive start. Marc Wilson will come in at left-back.

Against the Faroe Islands in Torshavn tonight, Trapattoni will hope whichever team he picks will be superior. The Faroes are nearly at the opposite end of the European football spectrum from Germany, who embarrassed the Republic at the Aviva Stadium with their youthful, fluid football. The 6-1 scoreline was the worst competitive home defeat in Irish history. Aside from what it has done to Ireland's hopes of reaching their first World Cup since 2002, it has inflicted severe damage on Trapattoni's popularity. Efficient, conservative football is one thing, but when it leads to such brutal defeats it is pointless.

The Italian was dogged yesterday with rumours that Fulham defender Stephen Kelly, an unused substitute on Friday, had to be persuaded to board the plane after a fall-out with assistant manager Marco Tardelli. Trapattoni denied there had been any row and rejected suggestions that today's game would be his last in charge. "Absolutely not," he said. "I ask you why? We have started the qualifying campaign and we have lost one game to Germany. There is no reason.

"I am sure the team will have a good reaction, I am sure as we have had in the past when we have lost other games."

The immediate victims of Friday will be Andy Keogh, who has a head injury, Stephen Ward and Keith Fahey. Keane should provide more of a threat up front at the Torsvollur Stadium, as well as experience. Last Friday was Ireland's first competitive game in 15 years to include none of Keane, Damien Duff, Shay Given and Richard Dunne, and it showed. Although Duff and Given retired from international duty at the end of the European Championship earlier this year, Dunne and Keane are available.

The Faroe Islands manager, Lars Olsen, is worried about how Ireland might respond to Friday's thrashing. "When you lose 6-1 at home in a country like Ireland, you will be under pressure," he said yesterday. "We know Ireland are the favourites, as Sweden were [on Friday], but we will try our best. The Faroe Islands are a small team and almost every team we are playing will be the favourites."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/rumours-over-kelly-increase-pressure-on-trapattoni-16224929.html#ixzz29TGOqkdL

WhiteJC

December Fixtures on Sale

Tickets for our home fixtures in December are now on sale for Season Ticket Holders to buy:

Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur - Sat 1st Dec (3pm)
The Whites' first home London derby fixture at Craven Cottage this season sees the visit of Martin Jol and Dimitar Berbatov's former side Tottenham Hotspur. Secure your tickets online.

Fulham v Newcastle United - Mon 10th Dec (8pm)

The Toon Army travel to Craven Cottage this December, where last season a rampant Fulham side ran out 5-2 victors. Prices for this fixture start from £40 for adults and £20 for juniors. Find out more online today

Fulham v Southampton - Wed 26th Dec (3pm)

Nigel Adkins' Southampton side travel up from the South Coast for the Whites' Boxing Day fixture. Prices start from just £35 for adults and £15 for juniors.

Find out more at fulhamfc.com/tickets.

Fulham v Swansea City - Sat 29th Dec (3pm)
Our final fixture of 2012 is against Swansea City at the Cottage. Additional tickets are available from £35 for adults and £15 for juniors. Buy online today.

Tickets for these fixtures will go on sale to Members at 9am on Tuesday 23rd October with remaining tickets going on General Sale at 9am on Tuesday 30th October.

Save over £30 with a Festive Football Ticket Package
Supporters can save over £30 on tickets by buying a Festive Football Package which includes your ticket for Tottenham, Newcastle and Swansea. Find out more here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/16/december-fixtures-on-sale?

WhiteJC

Obituary:Len Quested

Huddersfield Town players Harry Mills, Bill McGarry and Len Quested in the 1950s

HE was regarded as a footballer both feared and fearless. And there were many who queried why Len Quested never won full England honours.

The nearest he came was a call-up for England B against The Netherlands in 1950 and an FA tour of South Africa six years later.

The midfielder was a hero to fans of Fulham, then Huddersfield Town, in the decade and a half after the Second World War.

Quested had signed for Fulham as a teenage amateur in the early 1940s then served in the Royal Navy throughout the rest of the conflict.

He was stationed in Australia and played football alongside the future Manchester United star John Aston for the Golden Hind, a team for servicemen in New South Wales.

On demob he rejoined Fulham from his local non-League club, Folkestone Town, in August 1946.

Five years later, in November 1951, struggling Fulham sold Quested to Huddersfield Town in a deal which saw centre-forward Jeff Taylor move in the opposite direction.

Ironically, both teams were relegated that season.

But in 1952-53 Quested helped Town seal instant promotion as runners-up to Sheffield United, becoming in the process part of the most settled 'back six' in the history of the game.

Manager Andy Beattie fielded goalkeeper Jack Wheeler, full-backs Ron Staniforth and Laurie Kelly, and the half-back trio of Bill McGarry, Don McEvoy and Quested in all 42 League games.

The following season, the consistency helped Town finish third in the race for the top-flight title behind Wolverhampton Wanderers and West Bromwich Albion, with the free-scoring marksman Jimmy Glazzard and left-winger Vic Metcalfe the stars.

Town were later relegated but under new captain Quested the team flourished under Bill Shankly. Youngsters at Leeds Road included the emerging Scottish genius Denis Law and England's future World Cup-winner Ray Wilson, and both benefited from Quested's experience.

However, having married an Australian, Elsie, he emigrated to her country in 1957.

On arriving in Australia he was signed by Auburn in the NSW state league. He played with Auburn until 1960. In 1961 he signed for Hakoah where he played for a season before retiring. In 1964 Quested coached Cumberland United in the NSW state league but in 1965 he made a return to playing for Awaba in Newcastle. He also represented Australia at national level.

He also enjoyed coaching young players in his latter years.

Read More http://www.examiner.co.uk/huddersfield-town-fc/huddersfield-town-news/2012/10/16/86081-32038097/?#ixzz29TH9wnF4

WhiteJC

Bateman, Bullard and Terry: the empty zen of excellence

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.
Zen Aphorism

^^^^^^

I've always loved the Patrick Bateman/American Psycho quote:

^^^^^^

There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.

^^^^^^

Chilling.

There are parallels between Bateman and Jimmy Bullard. In some ways they are polar opposites: Bateman is excrutiatingly aware of his emptiness and fights it by murdering prostitutes, while Bullard hasn't the capacity (or indeed desire) to look inside himself so spends his time playing golf and fishing.

I have long thought that the ideal characteristic for 75% of sportsmen is to be more or less unthinking. As previously noted (or perhaps not, I forget what I wrote and what I just thought about writing), John Terry is not arguably not mentally strong, as he is commonly portrayed, he is right over there at the Patrick Bateman end of the Bateman-Bullard continuum: he is really not there. How else to explain him? How can you feel remorse or regret or concern when really you feel nothing at all?

^^^^^^

I still say if the ball is there to be won I will go for it, whether with my head or whatever, and if it means us scoring or stopping a goal, I won't think twice – John Terry

^^^^^^

How many sportsmen mess up when they think too much? Too many, that's for sure. This is why John Terry doesn't come unstuck under pressure (Moscow wasn't mental, he just fell over), while others do.

Similarly, Jimmy Bullard was in many ways the perfect footballer. Gifted and unthinking, with most coaches he would be relied upon to go out there, sieze the moment and deliver what's needed. He brought energy and passion and fearlessness to Fulham's Great Escape when others would have felt the pressure. Bullard? No bother. He's not going to think too much about it. So in the dying moments at Ewood Park he can whip the ball into the top corner, or he can drop a free kick onto Simon Davies' right foot or Danny Murphy's head or wherever else he wants.

From Barry Glendinning's recent Observer interview (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/13/jimmy-bullard-football):

^^^^^^

Our chat concluded, Bullard insists on picking up the tab, then driving me a couple of miles to the train station: small details, but in this game invariably the sign of a good egg. En route, we return to his repeated admission that he never thinks about much, so I ask what he ponders during those long hours in splendid isolation on the riverbank. "What do I think about when I'm fishing?" he asks. "I don't really know." A ruminative silence is finally ended by a frank admission: "Mate, I just think about how I'm going to catch my next fish."

^^^^^^

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/bateman-bullard-and-terry-the-empty-zen-of-excellence/?

WhiteJC

International Preview

A number of the Fulham squad will be in action for their respective countries on Tuesday night in further 2014 World Cup Qualifying action.

In Group F of the European section, Fulham duo Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird have the unenviable task of shackling Cristiano Ronaldo – who is in line to win his 100th cap for Portugal. Northern Ireland enter the game in fourth place after drawing one and losing one of their two fixtures so far.

Having become Greece's most capped player last Friday, Giorgos Karagounis could win his 122nd cap as his country visit in-form Slovakia in Group G. With goal difference separating leaders Bosnia-Herzegovina, Slovakia and Greece, the encounter could be a key clash for the former European champions.

After a memorable goal in his country's 2-1 defeat of Faroe Islands last time out, Alexander Kaĉaniklić will be hoping for further action as Sweden face Group C leaders Germany in Berlin. A win for Sweden would draw them level with their opponents.

Elsewhere in Group C, Stephen Kelly's Republic of Ireland will be looking to bounce back from their disappointing 6-1 defeat by Germany by making amends with victory over Faroe Islands.

In Group E, Fulham Captain Brede Hangeland was also on target in Friday's round of qualifying matches, scoring in the 1-1 draw with Switzerland. Norway enter Tuesday's game in third place and will look to continue their impressive start with victory over Cyprus. Fellow Fulham defender John Arne Riise is also in line to start for the Norwegians.

In the Asian section, Mark Schwarzer will again keep goal for the Socceroos as Australia go in search of their first win in Group B when going up against Iraq in Doha. While in Group A, Ashkan Dejagah's Iran play a crucial match against group leaders Korea Republic – victory for his country would take them level on points with Tuesday's opponents.

Three points for Costa Rica in the North, Central America and Caribbean section would see Bryan Ruiz's nation close the gap on Group B leaders Mexico with Guyana the visitors to their San Jose home.

Meanwhile, with qualification for the 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Championship also under way, Pajtim Kasami's Switzerland take a one-goal lead into their Play-Off Second Leg clash with Germany in Lucerne.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/16/international-preview?

WhiteJC

Keeper Wanted?

According to a snippet I stumbled upon in one of the tabloid gossip columns, Fulham are tracking another keeper.

The keeper in question is Christian Walton, who is on the books of Plymouth Argyle.

A fee of £250,000 is mentioned but apart from that we know very little.

Can anyone out there add more fat to the bone on this one?

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=296601

WhiteJC

Just Another Rumour Or........

Another piece of gossip that has broken relates to the possible signing of a player currently on the books of Arsenal.

The inference being that Martin Jol is expressing a genuine interest in bringing 31 year-old Andrey Arshavin to Craven Cottage, this January.

Now I`m not sure if the rumour has any credibility whatsoever but I`d definitely be interested in your views on a possible deal.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=296603#ixzz29TIuOgMc

WhiteJC

Etheridge set for Rovers stay

Bristol Rovers manager Mark McGhee plans to extend goalkeeper Neil Etheridge's loan spell until Christmas.

The 22-year-old has made five appearances for Rovers since arriving on an initial one-month deal from Fulham.

McGhee has been suitably impressed with the Philippines international and revealed after Saturday's draw at Burton that Etheridge is set to extend his stint at the Memorial Stadium.

"His one-month loan spell from Fulham will be extended and he will be with us until Christmas," said McGhee.

http://www.teamtalk.com/bristol-rovers/8168688/Etheridge-set-for-Rovers-stay?