Started by Jambo, October 18, 2012, 01:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jambo

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on October 18, 2012, 05:18:25 PM
Quote from: cottage cheese on October 18, 2012, 04:58:55 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on October 18, 2012, 04:54:14 PM
Quote from: Mr_Moon on October 18, 2012, 04:43:01 PM
Quote from: cottage cheese on October 18, 2012, 04:34:39 PM
look at john terry. We have our own issues at hand that still that need resolving. Thats why I jumped at Jambo a bit for mentioning Eastern Europe. It is bad and in no way to I condone those actions but I feel it is very hypocritical that we highlight other countries when we have it here in the news and media.

Its got to a point that even jason roberts has stepped in!

John Terry, Suarez, Sol Campbell accusing the FA of racism, Liverpool fans, Millwall fans (vs Bolton), abuse on Twitter to James Vaughn from a Norwich fan. All from the past year that I can think of.

So we shouldn't talk about racism because it happens in the UK?

hmm...

Hmm...looks like you have missed the point.

The point I am making is that the media reaction to Serbia has exploded. Consider this compared to the  attention Sordell recieved when he claimed to be racially abused at Millwall...

We have the problem just as bad here and I think personally it is hypocritical, ignorant and rude that threads are started with Racism in Eastern Europe when quite frankly the problem exists just as prominently here.

We should highlight it but not point out and label certain countries etcc...that does not solve anything

I am sorry, but this is rubbish.

There is no doubt that racism is still an issue in the UK, but to compare the UK to the post-Soviet European states is ridiculous. The scales are completely different.

Totally agree.  Yes there is a problem in England, i think we've established that.  However comparing an idiot fan on twitter to a full Serbian stadium is ridiculous.  Another difference is that even will little or no evidence Suarez received a 12 game ban for using the N word.  At least we acknowledge the problem here.  When was the last time to could audible hear racist chants on the tv in England??  My point is racism exists in ALL society but the scale of the problem, which my original email eluded to is like chalk and cheese.
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

cottage cheese

look at john terry. We have our own issues at hand that still that need resolving. Thats why I jumped at Jambo a bit for mentioning Eastern Europe. It is bad and in no way to I condone those actions but I feel it is very hypocritical that we highlight other countries when we have it here in the news and media.

John Terry, Suarez, Sol Campbell accusing the FA of racism, Liverpool fans, Millwall fans (vs Bolton), abuse on Twitter to James Vaughn from a Norwich fan. All from the past year that I can think of.

hmm...

The point I am making is that the media reaction to Serbia has exploded. Consider this compared to the  attention Sordell recieved when he claimed to be racially abused at Millwall...

We have the problem just as bad here and I think personally it is hypocritical, ignorant and rude that threads are started with Racism in Eastern Europe when quite frankly the problem exists just as prominently here.

We should highlight it but not point out and label certain countries etcc...that does not solve anything

There is no doubt that racism is still an issue in the UK, but to compare the UK to the post-Soviet European states is ridiculous. The scales are completely different.

Firstly I am polish and I am well aware of what post soviet rule did to this countries

My issue is that an incident occurs in Eastern europe and the debate reopens with europe is racist blah blah. We even have a thread on here about it.  When vaughn was racially abused did people start a thread about it along with the sordell incident.

Its something we all want stamped out!

Mr_Moon

It should also be worth pointing out that the countries in question don't have the same exposure to black people as Britain does. We have our own problems. It was only on Saturday that we had a load of football thugs march on the streets of Rotherham against Muslims (lets not pretend they only hate 'extremists').

Jambo

You know when you start a thread and wish you didn't???  Me, right now!

@jambohunt

Jambo

That will work....

UEFA have fined Lazio £32,500 for the racist conduct of their fans during the Europa League game v Spurs at White Hart Lane

@jambohunt

CanadianCottager

Quote from: Jambo on October 18, 2012, 05:54:16 PM

hmm...

The point I am making is that the media reaction to Serbia has exploded. Consider this compared to the  attention Sordell recieved when he claimed to be racially abused at Millwall...

Another difference is that even will little or no evidence Suarez received a 12 game ban for using the N word.

Never used the n-word. Negro simply means black in Spanish, rude but not even close to the weight of the n-word in English.

bmasar

Quote from: CanadianCottager on October 18, 2012, 07:03:07 PM

hmm...

Another difference is that even will little or no evidence Suarez received a 12 game ban for using the N word.

Never used the n-word. Negro simply means black in Spanish, rude but not even close to the weight of the n-word in English.

Negrito, wasn't it?

Now you're bringing the word "black" and the connotation of "boy" (which is/was a condescending term for African-Americans, especially in the South) together. Bad combo, changes things.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: CanadianCottager on October 18, 2012, 07:03:07 PM

hmm...

I know you're being accurate here, but there's no doubting the meaning behind it. He said something he shouldn't have (allegedly),....something he knows he's not allowed to say. And, he said it to provoke a reaction.

Deserves what he got. Even if one were to forget about the vulgarity of it, he still deserves the suspension for being stupid enough to say it knowing what's happened with other players. Put his team in a bad spot.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

CanadianCottager

Quote from: bmasar on October 18, 2012, 07:55:37 PM

Negrito, wasn't it?

Now you're bringing the word "black" and the connotation of "boy" (which is/was a condescending term for African-Americans, especially in the South) together. Bad combo, changes things.

Totally different cultural context to both Evra (Senegalese) and Suarez (Uruguayan), and I think I remember Evra saying it was Negro, if it was negrito, it becomes more condescending as -ito is diminutive.
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on October 18, 2012, 08:20:34 PM

I know you're being accurate here, but there's no doubting the meaning behind it. He said something he shouldn't have (allegedly),....something he knows he's not allowed to say. And, he said it to provoke a reaction.

Deserves what he got. Even if one were to forget about the vulgarity of it, he still deserves the suspension for being stupid enough to say it knowing what's happened with other players. Put his team in a bad spot.
I reckon it was his pig-ignorance of the different racial dynamics in England. I think what he got handed down with was harsh given the offense in itself, but he's not the nicest character so I can understand how his reputation preceded him here. What I really disliked about the whole situation was that someone who knew full well what he was saying and how it would be interpreted (John Terry) got away with (comparatively) a slap on the wrist. Makes me wonder if Aguero has a point about there being different rules for foreign players.