watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Natural Width

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, October 20, 2012, 10:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

As I've been scanning over the messageboard for some post match opinions, it's seems that everyone is agreed on at least one thing. Riise and Riether were outstanding. Now from fullback, it's now a common sight to see both go forward, but question is, why was Martin Jol content on playing no wingers for today?

Throughout the game, Riise and Riether were bombing up and down the flanks and it was clear to see the Aston Villa full backs were struggling with the lack of help they recieve in their diamond formation.

When Ashkan Dejagah came on, I, as did others, felt he looked really impressive. He showed a turn of a pace and an ability to pick out a cross. I believe he actually won the corner that sealed the win.

I don't mean to criticise Martin Jol, but I do think that our squad needs the out and out wide players in it. For some reason, we were attempting a 433 with no wingers, and it showed.

I don't think we should be looking at Hugo Rodallega as left winger, I would feel much more comfortable with Alex Kacaniklic there. Petric and Berbatov began to look promising, but hopefully Ruiz will be back for Reading and we can go back to a more natural feeling 4231 with Mahamadou Diarra slotting back into the centre of midfield next to Chris Baird.

For Reading, I would look at playing:

-----------Schwarzer
Riether Hughes Hangeland Riise
-----------Diarra Baird
Dejagah/Duff Ruiz Kacankilc
------------Berbatov

With Karagounis, Petric, Rodallega and Frei on the bench also, we have a very strong looking squad and hopefully we can really start to kick on after two quite disappointing performances.

JackyFulham90

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on October 20, 2012, 10:21:00 PM
As I've been scanning over the messageboard for some post match opinions, it's seems that everyone is agreed on at least one thing. Riise and Riether were outstanding. Now from fullback, it's now a common sight to see both go forward, but question is, why was Martin Jol content on playing no wingers for today?

Throughout the game, Riise and Riether were bombing up and down the flanks and it was clear to see the Aston Villa full backs were struggling with the lack of help they recieve in their diamond formation.

When Ashkan Dejagah came on, I, as did others, felt he looked really impressive. He showed a turn of a pace and an ability to pick out a cross. I believe he actually won the corner that sealed the win.

I don't mean to criticise Martin Jol, but I do think that our squad needs the out and out wide players in it. For some reason, we were attempting a 433 with no wingers, and it showed.

I don't think we should be looking at Hugo Rodallega as left winger, I would feel much more comfortable with Alex Kacaniklic there. Petric and Berbatov began to look promising, but hopefully Ruiz will be back for Reading and we can go back to a more natural feeling 4231 with Mahamadou Diarra slotting back into the centre of midfield next to Chris Baird.

For Reading, I would look at playing:

-----------Schwarzer
Riether Hughes Hangeland Riise
-----------Diarra Baird
Dejagah/Duff Ruiz Kacankilc
------------Berbatov

With Karagounis, Petric, Rodallega and Frei on the bench also, we have a very strong looking squad and hopefully we can really start to kick on after two quite disappointing performances.

Totally agree with you, we looked so much better with Dejegah on and certainly missed Duff right up until he come on, I would like Ruiz to return at Reading and see him link up with Berbatov

west kowloon white

An exciting looking line up-and you give poor Karagounis a mention.As for natural width,prefer to medication.

zschwartz

Absolutely agree with this. very happy to see diarra back so quickly. 

Not only lacking width, Rodallega & Richardson seem incapable of playing a triangle w/ Berbatov/Riether/Riise. Very frustrating to watch them squander simple passes... particularly Richardson... but particularly rodallega...

Duff/Riether + Riise/Kacaniklic is vastly more desirable on the wings with diarra and ruiz central. I'd be interested to see Petric in place of Ruiz again with better wing support.

Frei, Dejagah, Petric / Ruiz off the bench seem like capable enough game changers. Rodallega is in that camp as well but i would, generally speaking, prefer the former.

Logicalman

Totally agree. This season I can see where our subs ARE making the difference for us. Diarra was like a pit bull, and as for the old Adonis, he made so many runs forward I thought he was a striker! Goes to show that an old head can do great things, so he's 35. what of it?

I will hand this one to MJ, he brought his staid midfielders on, piece by piece, to ensure that the Thames Barrier didn't even get wet, let alone swamped, and as the pressure builded upon the Villains goal, one of the old guard popped the cork and it was all over, a 3 pointer to wipe away last seasons disappointment.

filham

No need to list the keeper and back four when talking about line ups. those positions are automatic.
The attack and midfield positions are becomming more clear after yesterday's substitutions. At reading we should be looking at:-

Dejagah Diarra  Baird  Duff

Berbatov    ?????

The only question is the partner for Berbatov up front. Choose from Rodallega, Petric or Ruiz.

Wow , things are looking good, Reading must shaking in there shirts.

MJG

Just one point about this. Duff is being listed as wide left. He has played most of his fulham career on the right and because he lacks pace now he likes to cut inside. Move him to the left and he could be less effective than say Kaca on that side. Just down to the fact he likes the right so much.