watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

non favourite players....

Started by alfie, October 21, 2012, 12:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

I know we all have our favourites and we also have our players that maybe we are not too keen on, but i was quite appalled at the level of abuse given to Steve Sidwell by some so called Fulham supporters behind me yesterday, no he is not the greatest of players but the guy is out there trying his best for the team, ok maybe he was not good enough but he did not/does not deserve the abuse.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

JackyFulham90

I thought Sidwell had a decent 1st half yesterday but was poor in the 2nd half but he is a decent player and abuse on him is not fair, players have off games but we still got to get behind them and support them Sidwell will come back with some good performances

Whiteroom

I actually rate Sidwell. I think he is a better Etuhu. He is strong, very good at tackling and breaks up play. We don't have a lot of muscle as a team, and he offers that dimension. On a personal level he has always been really positive about Fulham, and seems really happy to be here. It is not fair to abuse the guy.

Oiseau

I couldn't agree more. I'm not quite sure why but some football fans tend to 'pick on' one player on the field. It used to be Murphy around where I sit, then it was Ruiz. Yesterday it was a mixture of Richardson and Sidwell.

It's quite unproductive and the criticism is often highly exaggerated. It's usually the case that almost all of the players are making mistakes but some fans only pay attention to the errors of one. Quite amusingly the people who used to yell at Murphy around me are now complaining loudly about his absence. It's not fair and it really doesn't make sense. The same goes for Ruiz who has improved hugely this season and is displaying some very good technique.

Yesterday Sidwell didn't have his best performance. However, he was far from hopeless and made some good passes. Yes, his substitution was effective but I don't think that's because he was having a particularly bad game. I think that it was more because the player brought on suited the situation. Richardson did make some mistakes but he really wasn't that bad. In fact, he was a crucial cog in some of our better moves during the first half.

The man behind me also moaned about Petric quite a bit. I thought this was very unfair. Petric was doing well with the ball but he just wasn't getting service. He does seem to get tired, though.

A Humble Man

If you are in the JH stand is may have been me moaning but his control is so poor he keeps loosing the ball and is a liability.  Jol is trying to build a team that contend for top honours and he is a Championship standard player.  I agree he gives his all every game but that is not enough his basic skills are not good enough for the Team we are becoming.

Look at the contrast with the control and passing skills of Diarra when he came on and the way Berbatov brings others into the game so easily.  That is sort of skill level we are gradually getting in every position.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

alfie

Quote from: A Humble Man on October 21, 2012, 03:24:28 PM
If you are in the JH stand is may have been me moaning but his control is so poor he keeps loosing the ball and is a liability.  Jol is trying to build a team that contend for top honours and he is a Championship standard player.  I agree he gives his all every game but that is not enough his basic skills are not good enough for the Team we are becoming.

Look at the contrast with the control and passing skills of Diarra when he came on and the way Berbatov brings others into the game so easily.  That is sort of skill level we are gradually getting in every position.
no not in JH stand, i don't have a problem with people moaning if they feel a player is not up to it, i do it myself, but it was the sheer nasty abuse at one of our own players.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

cebu

Yes, a lot of people were disappointed to see the back of Etuhu - the search for a new "negativity lightning rod" is on!

I don't go in for it myself ... except when I do. But then I blame the   :beer:

jarv

Sidwell is OK. If he was not Chelseas would not have signed him from Reading. It will take some time (after injuries) but I think Sidwell can recover his Reading form and yes, supporters should stay off his back. 

epsomraver

fans moaning at players for no reason, perish the thought!

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ffcbulgaria

I personally remember Baird's first season and how I rated his throw-in for the Kamara goal vs Spurs (3-3) as his best touch of the season. I can't avoid mentioning Kuqi as the player I wish never wore the white shirt.

In the following years it was Gera for me. Before that Europa League season I used to groan every time he recieved the ball. Can't forget how he played one of Man U's players through to get 1on1 and score.

Dont think i've had an anti-hero for the last 2 seasons. And this season it's hard to even pick a favourite - that's just how likeable all of our players are currently!

zzamora

I said when we signed Richardson that he would be the scapegoat of the season.

Why?

Because, simply, he wasnt Dembele, with Dembele leaving and Richardson having a bid accepted within 3 hours of each other.

Always means he will never quite be as liked as if he was signed the week before.

ToodlesMcToot

I like Sidders and have since he was at Reading. But, yesterday he was poor overall IMO.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

MJG

Quote from: ddeuce on October 22, 2012, 12:02:22 AM
I said when we signed Richardson that he would be the scapegoat of the season.

Why?

Because, simply, he wasnt Dembele, with Dembele leaving and Richardson having a bid accepted within 3 hours of each other.

Always means he will never quite be as liked as if he was signed the week before.
I dont believe thats a reason people were on his case saturday. its was just that he made a lot of mistakes. he looked at times like a little boy lost.Nothing at all to do with Dembele.
His performance was summed up when he got the ball on the halfway line, pushed into space behind two players and he took the easy option of running into them trying to get the foul, it was not given and it looked like a player taking the easy option.

JBH

Quote from: alfie on October 21, 2012, 03:30:52 PM

no not in JH stand, i don't have a problem with people moaning if they feel a player is not up to it, i do it myself, but it was the sheer nasty abuse at one of our own players.

Did you actually tell them how disgusted you were by their comments about Sidwell?

alfie

Quote from: JBH on October 22, 2012, 07:13:30 AM
Quote from: alfie on October 21, 2012, 03:30:52 PM

Did you actually tell them how disgusted you were by their comments about Sidwell?

they were too far back for that, but a couple of guys in front of them said they were out of order, but they did not take too much notice.
Story of my life
Sadly she wasn't

ffc73

Sidwell gives his all and when he was subbed he was clearly disappointed.  Irrespective of their individual skill, is that not what we want to see?  I know I do.

The issue would be if we had more technically gifted players being kept on the bench by players not committed

Sidwell should claim an assist for the goal though as in the time he took to leave the pitch the Villa defenders had dozed off enough to give Baird half a yard at the near post

TonyGilroy

I watched the first half of the QPR game yesterday and the thing that struck me is that they have some good players but none of them are there for the right reason.

The contrast with us is absolute. I don't think that we have any players that give less than 100%. Everyone seems happy to be here. They may be kids starting out or older players who have escaped a bad situation but the team spirit and commitment is total. There are never stories of players who behave less than well when they encounter supporters.

Not everyone plays well every game but none of our players deserve abuse.

ffc73

SG

Having been at the Cottage I watched Football First in the cold light of Sunday morning and after having read the criticism that Sidwell attracted on here. Whilst that was only 60 odd minutes of highlights, Sidwell showed up well in those - certainly better than some others that could be named. I think he is alright and does a good job for the team.