watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (15/04/10)

Started by WhiteJC, April 15, 2010, 07:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2010/04/14/1878246/john-paintsil-i-want-to-help-fulham-reach-europa-league
John Paintsil: I want to help Fulham reach Europa League final
Defender keen to return from injury to aid Euro campaign...

Fulham's John Pantsil is keen to put his injury heartbreak behind him, after returning to first team training, by helping his side reach a historic place in the Europa League final.

The Ghanaian full back has been out of action since December after picking up a serious knee injury in the Cottagers' west London derby defeat against Chelsea.

The injury subsequently ruled Pantsil out of the African Nations Cup and the majority of Fulham's European campaign which has seen them progress past Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus and Wolfsburg to reach the semi finals, where they will play Hamburg next week.

The 28-year-old defender has since recovered from surgery and completed three reserve team games in a battle to make himself available for Roy Hodgson's European plans.

"To play a full 90 minutes against Aston Villa's reserves on Monday was fantastic and I'm looking to be involved with the first team again very soon," he told Fulham's club website.

"The injury happened on the last day before leaving to join my colleagues in the African Cup of Nations so I missed out on the African Cup of Nations and also all the Europa League games and I nearly lost the World Cup."

"We all started the season together but my injury pushed me away from competing in the Europa League competition.

"The boys are doing so well and I'm really pleased with their performances but on the other hand I'm not happy that I'm not involved."

Due to injury problems and a small squad, Pantsil could feature as early as next Saturday in Fulham's Barclays Premier League clash against Wolves and is hopeful he could aslo play some part in next week's semi-final first-leg in Hamburg.

However, the former West Ham defender warned it may take time for him to re-discover the form which led him to become Roy Hodgson's first-choice right-back.

"It's been really frustrating so now that I'm fit to play again I have to work so hard so that I can be the same player I was before." Pantsil said.

WhiteJC

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/content/west_ham_united_football_club/story.aspx?brand=RECOnline&category=Hammers&tBrand=RecOnline&tCategory=ahammersnew&itemid=WeED14+Apr+2010+16%3A37%3A52%3A640
New date for the Fulham showdown

WEST HAM'S London derby clash with Fulham at Craven Cottage has been put back 24 hours.

The game was originally scheduled to take place on May 1, but because of Fulham's participation in the semi-finals of the Europa League against German outfit SV Hamburg on the previous Thursday, the match will now take place on Sunday, May 2 with a 3pm kick off.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=195265
Fulham - Glad we`re Hamburg Bound!
You cannot help but notice that it is a subject that everyone is talking about, the fact that the pitch, at Wembley, isn`t all that it should be.

Having sat through television coverage of both FA Cup semi-finals, thinking of how we might have fared against Portsmouth if we`d beaten Tottenham Hotspur, you couldn`t help but notice the players were having trouble keeping their feet.

In fact, in the second semi-final, the one we dreamed about playing in, the pitch was directly responsible for the opening Portsmouth goal when Dawson slipped to present Piquonne with an easy chance.

Now our chances of playing at Wembley in the immediate future are zilch and because of the dodgy surface I`m actually quite pleased that any remaining Europa League fixtures we compete in will be in Hamburg, however, having forked out so much money for our new national stadium the pitch is something that needs to be sorted out.

It`s something that (Sir) Roy Hodgson has picked up on and our genius of a gaffer has remarked about the continual process of relaying a new surface,

'It's sad but it does happen when you are constantly relaying pitches."

'I experienced it at Inter when the pitch had to be relaid two or three times a year."

'I'm afraid laying pitches is always a hazardous business because you are never sure how that grass is going to bed in."

'I'm disappointed for the four teams playing in the semi-finals that they didn't get a good pitch to play on but it is one of those things I suppose and hopefully the FA will put it right.'

Perhaps another route they could take is to limit exactly what events are held on the pitch or is that a no-no considering the fact they help to recoup the outstanding debt?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=195265#ixzz0l9AMq8AE

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=195266
Fulham - Davies and a New Contract?
In a way it`s been a mixed season for our Welsh international Simon Davies.

Last season finished with Simon struggling with a foot injury and it proved to be a foot injury that ate into this season. A couple of other niggling injuries also saw his return to, regular first team action interrupted.

But, in recent weeks, Simon has got back into the starting eleven and can now look forward to a thrilling finale to the season which could see us reach unprecedented, for us, heights in Europe.

Unfortunately, it appears that Simon`s future is yet to be sorted. His contract expires this summer and we understand there has been no offer made regarding a new one.

Now, for all we know, there may be things going on behind the scenes that we`re not party two, however, it doesn`t stop me asking the Vital Fulham membership, a crucial question.

Should the versatile Simon Davies, at 30, be given a new contract or is it time for a parting of the ways?

Your views would be most appreciated.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=195266#ixzz0l9AdYNKr

WhiteJC

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/matches/season=2010/round=2000041/match=2000965/prematch/background/index.html
Fulham stand between HSV and home final
The carrot of a European final at their home stadium hangs before Hamburger SV but semi-final opponents Fulham FC will be keen to extend their most successful season on the continent.

A final appearance at their own home stadium is within touching distance of Hamburger SV, but they will not underestimate a Fulham FC side who are in the semi-finals of a major European competition for the first time in their history.

Previous meetings
• The sides have never met in Europe.

• Hamburg have played 12 games against English sides in European club competition, with the record W4 D2 L6: W4 D1 L1 at home. Those ties include a 1-0 loss to Nottingham Forest FC in the 1979/80 European Champion Clubs' Cup final in Madrid.

• Those previous meetings include four two-legged knockout ties, of which HSV won three and lost one, going down 7-1 on aggregate to Liverpool FC in the 1977 UEFA Super Cup.

• Their best result against an English side – home or away – remains a 4-1 win against Burnley FC in the 1960/61 European Cup quarter-final second leg. Their worst was a 6-0 loss at Anfield in the aforementioned UEFA Super Cup game.

• Arsenal FC are the only team from England to have won at the Hamburg Arena, prevailing 2-1 in a 2006/07 UEFA Champions League group-stage fixture.

• Fulham are playing against German opposition for the second round in succession, having beaten reigning Bundesliga champions VfL Wolfsburg 2-1 at home and 1-0 away in the quarter-finals.

• Four Weddings and a Funeral actor Hugh Grant caused a stir in Germany as Fulham's one-time assistant groundsman attended the Cottagers' 1-0 win at the VfL Wolfsburg Arena.

• Fulham's only other games against German opposition marked the end of their 2002/03 UEFA Cup campaign. They lost 2-1 at Hertha BSC Berlin before drawing 0-0 at Queens Park Rangers FC's Loftus Road – their then temporary home – in the third round.

• Thus Fulham's record in four games against German sides reads W2 D1 L1 (W1 D0 L1 in Germany).

Match background
• This is Hamburg's ninth appearance in the semi-finals of a major UEFA club competition. They have won five of their previous last-four ties and lost three, most recently bowing out to Werder Bremen in last season's UEFA Cup.

• Fulham have long since eclipsed their best season in Europe, and have reached a major European semi-final for the first time in their history.

• Hamburg are unbeaten in their last seven home games, recording six wins and a 0-0 draw since losing 1-0 to Randers FC in the third qualifying round of this season's competition.

• Fulham's record in eight European away games this term reads W3 D2 L3, but they have only once failed to score on their 2009/10 continental travels.

Team facts
• Hamburg striker Ruud van Nistelrooy will need little introduction to Fulham fans, having played in nine games against the Cottagers with Manchester United FC from 2001 to 2006 with the record W7 D1 L1 (W5 D0 L1 at home).

• The Dutch striker scored ten times in those fixtures, all but three of them against his future United team-mate and countryman Edwin van der Sar; seven at Old Trafford and three at Fulham.

• Fulham manager Roy Hodgson faced Hamburg in the 2005/06 UEFA Cup group stage, with his Viking FK side – which featured current Fulham defender Brede Hangeland – losing 2-0 at the Hamburg Arena.

• Piotr Trochowski is the only current Hamburg player who featured in that game.

• In total, prior to joining Fulham Hodgson had coached in five games against German opposition, with the record W2 D0 L3 (W0 D0 L3 in Germany).

• In his two two-legged ties against German opposition, Hodgson's Halmstads BK side lost to 1. FC Dynamo Dresden in the 1977/78 European Cup first round while his FC Internazionale Milano charges lost the 1997 UEFA Cup final on penalties against FC Schalke 04 after the teams traded 1-0 home wins.

• Hamburg's David Rozehnal and Fulham's Damien Duff were team-mates at Newcastle United FC in 2007/08. Newcastle won 1-0 at Craven Cottage on 15 December 2007 in Rozehnal's only game against the London side.

• HSV's Marcus Berg and Fulham's Erik Nevland were team-mates at FC Groningen in 2007/08.

• Hamburg's Mladen Petrić and Fulham's Pascal Zuberbühler played together at FC Basel 1893 from 2004 to 2006, winning the title in Petrić's first season.

• Petrić – and indeed Züberbuhler – came up against Fulham's first-choice keeper Mark Schwarzer in the 2005/06 UEFA Cup quarter-finals, as Basel took on Middlesbrough FC. The English side lost 2-0 in Switzerland, and went a goal behind in the second leg only to win the match 4-1 en route to a final defeat.

• HSV defender Guy Demel spent 2000/01 in England with Arsenal FC, without making a single league appearance.

• The brother of Hamburg defender Jerome Boateng, Kevin-Prince Boateng, plays in the Premier League with Portsmouth FC.

• Hodgson kwas Petrić's coach at Grasshopper-Club in 1999/2000, though the striker made just two substitute appearances in the league that campaign. The Zurich club finished fourth, with Hodgson moving on to FC København.

• Australian goalkeeper Schwarzer's parents were born in Germany, and he played there with Dynamo Dresden (1994-95) and 1. FC Kaiserslautern (1995-96) before moving to England. Hamburg coach Bruno Labbadia also played for Kaiserslautern from 1988 to 1991.

• Zuberbühler played 13 Bundesliga games while on loan from Basel at Bayer 04 Leverkusen in 2000/01. Hamburg midfielder Zé Roberto was among his team-mates at the BayArena.

• Fulham forwards Bobby Zamora (38) and Zoltán Gera (26) have committed more fouls than any other players in the UEFA Europa League. Zamora has also been ruled offside more than any player left in the last four – 21 in total.

• Hamburg's David Jarolím has been fouled 29 times, more than any other player left in the competition.

• Zamora is the highest scoring active player in the competition with six goals, while team-mate Bjørn Helge Riise has made more assists than any other player in the semi-finals with four.

• As Hamburg player between 1977 and 1980, Kevin Keegan helped Hamburg win the 1978/79 Bundesliga title, winning the Ballon d'Or that year and playing in the 1980 European Cup final. Keegan, who earned the nickname 'Mighty Mouse' in Germany, was Fulham manager in 1998/99, guiding the club to promotion from the English third tier before leaving to become England manager.

Final facts
• The second leg takes place at Craven Cottage on 29 April, with the winners facing either Club Atlético de Madrid or Liverpool FC in the final at the Hamburg Arena on 12 May. Both Fulham and Hamburg competed in the UEFA Europa League group stage, while Atlético and Liverpool finished third in their UEFA Champions League groups.

• Since the UEFA Cup was decided with a one-off final at a neutral venue for the first time in 1997/98, two sides have played in the decider at their home stadium. Feyenoord beat BV Borussia Dortmund 3-2 at their De Kuip home in 2001/02, but Sporting Clube de Portugal lost 3-1 to PFC CSKA Moskva in 2004/05 at their Estádio José Alvalade.

• Seven UEFA Cup finals have been contested by sides from the same association, though there have been no all-English encounters since the very first edition of the UEFA Europa League's precursor:

1971/72 – ENG: Tottenham Hotspur FC beat Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
1979/80 – GER: Eintracht Frankfurt beat VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach
1989/90 – ITA: Juventus beat ACF Fiorentina
1990/91 – ITA: FC Internazionale Milano beat AS Roma
1994/95 – ITA: Parma FC beat Juventus
1997/98 – ITA: FC Internazionale Milano beat S.S. Lazio
2006/07 – ESP: Sevilla FC beat RCD Espanyol

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6964
Who's your shirt player?
by lydia on April 14, 2010

I was thinking recently about what player I would get on the back of a Fulham shirt of I ever got one. I used to say that it would be definatly Clint Dempsey as I love his creativeness but lately I've thought about the legend himself, Chris Baird. Laugh if you want but the guy is a legend. He has improved so much this year and, as I am someone from Northern Ireland, he might just get in there ahead of everyone else!

So what I want to know is who you would get on your shirt from the set of players currently playing for Fulham. Just leave a comment below!

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6962
How I fell for Fulham
by Tor on April 14, 2010

Slightly out of chronological order given that I burst onto the Hammy End scene with my first post yesterday, but a little something about me and my relationship with Fulham is probably in order.

It started on 22nd September 1993 when my Dad took me to Craven Cottage to watch Fulham play Liverpool in what was then the Coca-Cola Cup. It didn't go so well on the pitch but that didn't seem to put me off, and Dad and I went along most weeks with his friends and their sons to stand on the terrace in the Hammersmith End and drink Bovril (them) and hot chocolate (me). Could I tell you about any of the games I saw back then? Not on your nelly, my memory's dreadful. But I stuck with it. I even started reading through Dad's enormous collection of matchday programmes stashed in a cupboard. I do wonder whatever happened to them all... But I digress. After a few years, exams, boys and clubbing took priority over standing around in the cold and I stopped going. This was when Fulham started sneaking up the leagues. You're very welcome.

I didn't start going again until we moved back to Craven Cottage after our spell ground-sharing at Loftus Road. We beat Bolton 2-0 (thank you Andrew Cole) and it was a fantastic atmosphere so I fell in love with the place all over again. Since then I've gradually built up, going to the odd game, then more games, then getting membership and finally (after health issues made me realise that life's too short for regrets) this season I became the very proud owner of a season ticket for the Hammersmith End. And then Fulham got really, really good. Again, you're welcome.

There's been one downside to this path of enlightenment though. Talking to my (maternal) grandmother over the past few months, I've been told stories about how much of a fanatic my granddad was and how he followed Fulham across the country – even deserting my Nan the day after the birth of their first child to watch Fulham face Sheffield Utd, only to get off the train in Sheffield and find out that the game was called off due to snow. My granddad died 16 years ago and I never got to hear his stories or go to the Cottage with him. So I did the next best thing. I dragged my uncle along to a few games this season and he's remembered how brilliant it is. Now he's getting a season ticket too.

That's enough about me for now though. Back to the football...

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1266034/Fulham-break-bank-FC-Twentes-13m-striker-Bryan-Ruiz.html?ITO=1490
Fulham could break Mohamed Al Fayed's bank for FC Twente's £13m striker Bryan Ruiz

Fulham are interested in FC Twente striker Bryan Ruiz but would have to smash their transfer record with the Dutch side putting a £13m release clause in his contract.

Manager Roy Hodgson watched the Costa Rican international in action for the Dutch league leaders in their 1-0 defeat at AZ Alkmaar on Tuesday.

Left-sided attacker Ruiz has only been at Twente since July last year when ex-England boss Steve McClaren signed him from Belgian club Ghent for £4m.

Sevilla, Villarreal and Everton have also watched him.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6967
Pantsil: Fulham's Family Man
by Tor on April 14, 2010

The offal published a lovely interview with the ever-popular John Pantsil yesterday, following his first full 90 minutes of football since his nasty knee injury at the hands (feet?) of our neighbours back in December. Obviously a full game for the Reserve Team suggests that we could soon be applauding his post-match lap quite soon but the interview doesn't give anything away;

To play a full 90 minutes against Aston Villa on Monday was fantastic. It was very good for me. I'm looking to be involved with the First Team again very soon.

I feel very happy with the progress of my knee and much more confident and comfortable.

It's not just his on-field talents that we'll be looking forward to having back – JP is clearly as passionate about the team and the fans as we are;

I'm a Fulham player and I'm really happy with where we are at the moment. When it comes to the European games I'm a real fan!

I post messages on Facebook for the fans to read and see that I'm supporting the Team and they say some nice things that cheer me up too.

It's a good family I've got here at Fulham and I promise the fans that very soon I will be cheering them again at the Cottage

Perhaps we'll see him as soon as Saturday, even if it's as a second half sub although if he managed 90 minutes on Monday maybe we'll get more than that. After all, how could Roy refuse that beaming smile?

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/130963/Fulham-s-John-Pantsil-desperate-to-put-injury-heartbreak-behind-him/
FULHAM'S JOHN PANTSIL DESPERATE TO PUT INJURY HEARTBREAK BEHIND HIM

JOHN Pantsil is desperate to put his injury heartbreak behind him by helping Fulham secure a place in the Europa League final.

The full-back has been out of action since picking up a serious knee injury in the Cottagers' west London derby defeat against Chelsea in December.

The injury ruled Pantsil out of Ghana's African Nations Cup campaign and the majority of Fulham's march through Europe to the semi-finals, where they meet Hamburg next week.

Pantsil had to undergo surgery to cure the problem with his posterior cruciate ligament in January before returning to training three weeks ago.

"To play a full 90 minutes against Aston Villa's reserves on Monday was fantastic and I'm looking to be involved with the first team soon," the 28-year-old told Fulham's website.

"The injury happened on the last day before leaving to join my colleagues in the African Nations Cup.

"So I missed out on the African Nations Cup and also all the Europa League games and I nearly lost the World Cup."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fit-again-fulham-fullback-pantsil-eyeing-europa-chance-771261
Fit-again Fulham fullback Pantsil eyeing Europa chance

Fulham fullback John Pantsil hopes to see action in their Europa League semifinal against Hamburg.

Pantsil has been out of action since picking up a serious knee injury in the Cottagers' west London derby defeat against Chelsea in December.

Ghana's Player of the Year had to undergo an operation to cure the problem with his posterior cruciate ligament in January before returning to training three weeks ago.

"I feel very happy with the progress of my knee and much more confident and comfortable," said Pantsil, who signed from West Ham in 2008.

"I'm someone who always gives my best and tries my heart out and I went in for a challenge and lost out.

"It's been really frustrating so now that I'm fit to play again I have to work so hard so that I can be the same player I was before."

WhiteJC

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/steven-beacom/steven-beacom-nice-guys-like-aaron-do-win-14767485.html

Steven Beacom: Nice guys like Aaron do win

Aaron Hughes is the nicest guy in football. It's official.

That was the result of a survey conducted by a group of football writers a few years ago when we were away covering a Northern Ireland game.

Always polite and courteous, Aaron would go out of his way to help you out. He's a fantastic Northern Ireland skipper and a great ambassador for our wee country.

He is also a hugely important player for Fulham.

Under-rated by many, Fulham boss Roy Hodgson knows his value and has built his solid defence around the man from Cookstown. Hodgson has also got the best out of Aaron's international mate Chris Baird, another top bloke.

Amazingly, Fulham could reach the Europa League final this month. For Aaron's sake, I hope they do.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/steven-beacom/steven-beacom-nice-guys-like-aaron-do-win-14767485.html#ixzz0l9EADMs6

FatFreddysCat

Wow £13 million . Anyone know anything about this Ruiz fella? If we do sign him at that price it better work out after marlet and Johnson i cant see Mo risk buying a fourth dud if Ruiz dosen't work out