https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (22/10/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 22, 2012, 04:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Baird rocks Villa

Fulham 1-0 Aston Villa - Match Report

Fulham midfielder Chris Baird upstaged his returning team-mate Dimitar Berbatov with the late winner as Fulham condemned Aston Villa to more away day misery with a 1-0 victory at Craven Cottage.

Baird got a deft touch to John Arne Riise's near-post corner to beat goalkeeper Brad Guzan and deny Villa what looked increasingly like a battling point.

Fulham had been the better side, with Berbatov in commanding form on his comeback from a hip injury, but they had failed to convert a hatful of chances.

The home support were beginning to get edgy when the man they hail as "Bairdinho" popped up with the kind of finish Berbatov would have been proud of to snatch the points for Fulham.

Villa, who had not won on the road in 13 Barclays Premier League matches dating back to January, had a chance to rescue a point but Christian Benteke missed a sitter from close range.

Benteke had been sent on for Darren Bent, who was restored to the Villa starting line-up after being dropped for the last two matches.

Bent failed to make much of impression - glancing one header wide and otherwise cutting a picture of frustration up front - unlike Berbatov.

The serene Bulgarian was immediately into the action, playing a key role as Fulham pressed Guzan into action twice inside the first five minutes.

Berbatov found a yard of space inside the Villa box and turned on Kieran Richardson's pass but Guzan reacted quickly to palm the shot away from an acute angle.

The Bulgarian still has this wonderful ability to play the game at his own pace and he calmly held off the attentions of Nathan Baker to bring Sascha Riether into the box.

The German full-back squeezed a pass through to Richardson six yards out but Guzan blocked his shot and Riether's effort from the rebound went wide.

Baker's response was to hack Berbatov down from behind, which seemed just about the only way Villa were going to win the ball off him.

Fulham appeared capable of scoring every time they were in possession.

Baird and Steve Sidwell anchored the midfield and they always had runners, with Riise and Riether given the freedom to attack from full-back and stretch Villa.

At times Fulham played with five attackers as Richardson, Hugo Rodallega and the busy Mladen Petric supported Berbatov in causing Villa problems.

Brede Hangeland ran out of defence and slid a pass to Berbatov, who clipped a magnificent cross on the turn towards Baird but the header was wide.

Gabriel Agbonlahor created Villa's first opportunity himself, cutting in from the left before unleashing a deflected shot which brought a diving save from Mark Schwarzer.

Bent could not get enough on Matthew Lowton's cross from the right wing and his glancing header drifted harmlessly wide but that was as close as Villa came in the first half.

Riise whipped one cross in for Berbatov, who did well to force a save from Guzan, and then another for Rodallega but the Colombian headed wide.

Agbonlahor was working hard for Villa and he tried to pick out Bent in the Fulham box but Sidwell, enjoying a strong game against his old club, was on hand to intercept.

Villa started the second half brightly, with Agbonlahor heading over the bar from Lowton's cross but Fulham still looked the more likely team to score.

Karim El Ahmadi was booked for a foul on Berbatov that checked a Fulham counter-attack.

Berbatov failed to make decent contact as he attempted an acrobatic volley after Rodallega's cross had fallen to him at the far post.

Villa failed to clear their lines properly and it required a brave block from Lowton to deny Richardson before Bent was replaced by Benteke.

Ashkan Dejagah came on for Fulham to make his debut and was quickly in the thick of the action, stinging Guzan's hands with a 25-yard drive after some sublime build-up play.

Then came the breakthrough. Baird stole in front of Eric Lichaj, Fabian Delph and Bennett to get a touch to Riise's corner and beat Guzan at the near post.

The reaction inside Craven Cottage as much one of relief as celebration - although that should have been cut short immediately.

Charles N'Zogbia squared the ball to Benteke six yards out but he inexplicably failed to hit the target and with that miss went Villa's hopes of a point.
Source: PA

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/rprt/mtch/baird_rocks_villa_763710/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Late Baird winner savoured by Jol

Martin Jol enjoyed a sight he had never seen before as Fulham left it late to beat Aston Villa 1-0 at Craven Cottage - a goal from his versatile midfielder Chris Baird.

The Northern Ireland international emerged as the unlikely hero, beating Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan with a deft touch from John Arne Riise's near-post corner.

"Baird is very good at attacking the near post, he is always close but he hasn't scored for as long as I have known him," Jol said. "It was most probably the worst corner kick ever. I don't think it was a good delivery but because he attacked the ball he could score."

He added: "It is about players being at the end of the delivery and it was nice to see Chris there. We should have scored a goal earlier. I thought we played really well for the first 15 minutes.

"After that they had too much possession for my liking. It was a result ground out by us but I don't care. We need the points. We have to be strong at home. I am very pleased."

For Villa boss Paul Lambert, it was another dose of the away-day blues but he attempted to put a positive spin on the defeat.

"I thought some of the football we played was great. I thought we gave as good as we got," Lambert said.

"We came here, where their form has been really good, and gave a good account of ourselves.

"I thought we played well at Newcastle and Tottenham. The only game I have been disappointed at was Everton.

"There are a lot of good things. We have to turn the good things into wins."

Source: PA

http://www.footymad.net/football-news/late_baird_winner_savoured_by_jol_5583902/index.shtml

WhiteJC

Fulham star could be on radar of bigger clubs.

It is claimed by the agent of Alexander Kacaniklic that there are "A lot of interested teams" in the young player.

Kacaniklic arrived at Fulham in 2010 as part of a deal to take Paul Konchesky to Liverpool and has since impressed on his recent performances for the club.

The 21-year-old Swedish international has progressed nicely since his move, and he has shown just what kind of ability he has.

So far in his early career he has put in some sparkling performances for the Fulham team, and working under a manager like Martin Jol, he can only get better as the big boss likes to get the best out of his players.

But it seems like all the Fulham bosses good work could only help the lad get a move to a bigger club.

In a recent interview the player's agent claimed that "big clubs want great players and there is a lot of interest in the young man".

So it seems like it is only a matter of time before a bid comes in for the player and could well be forced to sell his young and ambitious star.

However, it is unclear if a bid will come in for the player in the coming transfer windows but with the agent's comments, they better be prepared.

http://footylatest.com/fulham-star-could-be-on-radar-of-bigger-clubs/34060?

WhiteJC

BORO BRING IN HAMMOND - CONNOLLY RETURNS
Blue Square Bet South club Farnborough have signed former Woking striker Elvis Hammond following his release from prison.

A product of Fulham's youth academy, Hammond is a pacey and powerful striker who progressed through the academy and reserves before making his debut in a League Cup tie aged just 19.

He spent some of 2002/03 on loan to Bristol Rovers, but with an abundance of strikers at Fulham, then Cottagers` manager Chris Coleman loaned him out again to Norwich City, Dutch side RBC Roosendaal and Leicester City, before making the move to the Foxes on a permanent basis on 31st January 2005, in a deal that could earn the Cottagers £325,000.

At the beginning of March 2006, Hammond made his international debut for Ghana in a friendly clash with Mexico.

Hammond was released by Leicester at the end of the 2007/8 season after making fifty-eight appearances and scoring with goals.

In November 2008 he joined Cheltenham Town on a short-term contract and then joined Sutton United in October 2010 and scored on his debut against Margate. The following month, he moved to Woking. He remained there until May 2012 before being imprisoned on July 16th 2012 for money laundering, illegally transferring £278,532 from Ghana.

Hammond`s arrival seemed timely as striker Reece Connolly had been recalled to his parent club Aldershot Town.

However, Connolly, who has already had two loan stints with Boro, made a surprise return and scored the only goal of the game at Westleigh Park on Saturday to beat Havant & Waterlooville.

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/boro-bring-in-hammond--connolly-returns-17148/?

WhiteJC

A Replacement for Schwarzer

Having passed the forty years of age mark, its generally accepted that Mark Schwarzer, our Australian legend, can`t go on for ever.

That`s probably the reason why we seem to be linked with signing a goalkeeper come the opening of the January transfer window.

One name put forward in the press this morning is that of Paul Robinson

Robinson, now 33, is currently languishing in the Championship with Blackburn Rovers. However, according to the press, signing Robinson is a priority as Jol believes that matching his current contract and luring him to London isn`t an insurmountable problem.

Perhaps the deal, as the press points out, could hinge on a faltering promotion bid by Blackburn coupled with a desire to trim the wage bill!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=297042#ixzz29zisOJTY

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Aston Villa 0

Walking back towards Hammersmith following the game, I have to admit that the late winner, from Chris Baird, had cheered me up no end.

With the nights starting to draw in, we`re getting to the nitty-gritty stage of the season whereby, sometimes, you have to grind out results rather than play entertaining football that has the punters on the edge of their seats, and that is exactly what we did yesterday against a limited Aston Villa side.

Sat in the main stand, the excitement levels were immediately increased when it was confirmed that Berbatov and Petric would be starting. I had visions of Dimitar controlling the game and providing some defence splitting short balls for us to capitalise on.

Well I was sort of right because that`s what happened early on. Berbatov looked to be in commanding form and only the antics of Guzan, in the Villa goal allied with some poor finishing from Richardson kept the score level.

But slowly and surely, the game sunk into a malaise whereby each side cancelled each other out and nothing occurred to get you off your seat and pumping those arms.

In fact, as the sands of time began to ebb away, I was half tempted to take an early exit and get home early in order to hit the night-life later on that night, but thankfully I didn`t.

With a mere six minutes to go, Craven Cottage erupted when an in-swinging corner from John Arne Riise was expertly flicked home by Chris Baird, only his third goal in one hundred and fifty games.

It was, I have to admit, one of those games, just like I`ve mentioned, where you have to grind a result out, and we did just that!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=297045#ixzz29zj85Gvc

WhiteJC

Three More Points

The win yesterday, against Aston Villa, gave us an impressive 32 points out of 42 available at home, in 2012.

But yesterday was a hard slog rather than a majestic stroll and afterwards Martin Jol admitted as much in his post match interview with the media, remarking,

"With Damien Duff ill the forward players had never played together before, not even in training, so for a result like this is special for us in a transitional period."

"In the first 15 minutes we played really well but after that Villa had too much possession for my liking."

"They have an awkward diamond system and I knew it would be difficult."

"Maybe I couldn`t say we really deserved to win but I don`t care."

And as for the goal, a Chris Baird rarity, Jol admitted,

"Chris is very good at attacking the near post but he`s always been close, never scored while I`ve been here."

"It was probably the worst corner kick ever but because he attacked the ball he scored. It`s not always about the delivery, it`s about the player on the end of it."

Exactly!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=297049#ixzz29zjL6XkK

WhiteJC

Who is Dejagah? The lowdown on Fulham's explosive winger

Ashkan Dejagah came on for the last 20 minutes to make his Fulham debut against Aston Villa – but who is he? He is little-known but had an immediate impact on Fulham's play, looking sharp and dangerous and Martin Jol afterwards described him as 'explosive'. Sportsmail reveals where he's come from.

WHY IS HE ONLY JUST MAKING HIS DEBUT?
Dejagah signed for £2million in the summer but arrived with a torn calf muscle so has been unable to play. He suffered the injury in training shortly before his move but it was not considered serious enough for him to fail a medical.

New boy: Fulham's Ashkan Dejagah made his debut against Aston Villa

WHO WAS HE SIGNED FROM?
Wolfsburg. Martin Jol already signed right back Sascha Riether on loan from the club and went back for the winger, getting him on transfer deadline day. The pair won the Bundesliga together with the German club back in 2009.

WHERE'S HE FROM?
The 26-year-old is an Iranian-German. He represented every single German national youth side from under 17 to under 21, scoring for each one, and even won the under 21 Euros back in 2009. And he's always played in Germany, starting at Hertha Berlin before moving to Wolfsburg. But he opted to play for the Iranian senior team. He's made four appearances and scored twice.

HE'S AN INTERESTING CHARACTER THEN?
Yes, he courted controversy in 2007 by refusing to play against Israel in an under 21 match. He was accused of making the decision for political, antisemitic or racist reasons but he denied this and it is thought his family were under threat.

FULHAM HAVE PLENTY OF ATTACKING OPTIONS, IS HE LIKELY TO GET IN THE FIRST TEAM?
Their main wingers are certainly under pressure. Alex Kacaniklic has started to push into the first team and the 21-year-old has played eight times this season and Damien Duff, who missed the game against Villa due to illness, has scored three times in eight matches. But Jol said: 'Alex Kacaniklic thought he would come on [instead of Dejagah] – then a player who is new is in preference ahead of him. He is explosive and he should give Damien Duff competition for that place.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2221163/Who-Fulhams-new-winger-Ashkan-Dejagah.html#ixzz29zjtULlW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

FULHAM 1 - ASTON VILLA 0: CHRIS BAIRDINHO IS TURNING ON SAMBA STYLE

FULHAM are bouncing to the Samba beat. Craven Cottage has gone Copacabana crazy.

English football has seen many great – and some not so great – Brazilian players ply their trade in this country. We have had Juninho, Mirandinha, Robinho, Gilberto and even Sylvinho.

But now Fulham has a new one – Bairdinho. And it was this slight, determined midfielder's goal six minutes from time on Saturday – a delightful near-post flick with the outside of his left foot from a John Arne Riise mis-hit corner – which sent his side into eighth place.

"We've got Bairdinho, we've got Bairdinho," sang the crowd, wowed by the Samba sorcery.

Only this Bairdinho seems to come from Rasharkin, County Antrim. This is plain old Chris Baird, who last week won his 56th cap for Northern Ireland as they secured a draw in Portugal.

Except he is not so "plain old" these days, as he and Steve Sidwell anchor a Fulham midfield that provides the steel and solidity for the sublime Dimitar Berbatov and Hugo Rodallega to strut their stuff – and which is turning Martin Jol's team into an outfit to be reckoned with.

But the goals? They do not come along too often for Bairdinho. His only other two in five years at the Cottage were in December 2010, in one game against Stoke.

Baird, 30, said: "The fans have been calling me Bairdinho since that Stoke game. I'm happy for them. It's nice to hear that being sung around the ground. I appreciate it.

"I've never had any other nicknames as a player. But I'm happy with Bairdinho – that will do. I was overdue a goal. I just hope I don't have to wait as long again for another one."

Fulham made heavy weather of beating a young Villa side in the middle of a rebuilding period under Paul Lambert, but Jol said: "This is a new role for Chris. Last season, he played right-back and centre-back and I am pleased he is so versatile. He is probably on top of his game right now."

After Kieran Richardson was foiled by Brad Guzan's leg and Sidwell put a header wide in a blistering start, Fulham were frustrated by Villa, though never in any real danger. Chances came and went, until Riise's corner five minutes from the end was brilliantly flicked in by Baird.

A minute later, Villa had their best chance of the game, as Charles N'Zogbia crossed, but Christian Benteke somehow missed from eight yards.

These are worrying times for a Villa side only a point outside the bottom three.

But Lambert said: "There were a lot of good things there.

"I am disappointed to lose but can't be too disheartened with the way they played. It is important that the young players don't get their heads down."

FULHAM (4-4-2): Schwarzer 7; Riether 7, Hughes 7, Hangeland 7, Riise 7; Rodallega 6, Sidwell 6 (Karagounis 84, 6), Baird 7, Richardson 6 (Dejagah 69, 6); Berbatov 8, Petric 6 (Diarra 63,7). Booked: Riise. Goal: Baird 84.

ASTON VILLA (4-4-2): Guzan 7; Lowton 6, Vlaar 6, Baker 6 (Lichaj 61, 6), Bennett 7; El Ahmadi 7, Delph 6, Ireland 6 (N'Zogbia 65, 6), Holman 7; Bent 6 (Benteke 74, 6), Agbonlahor 6. Booked: El Ahmadi.

Referee: C Foy (Merseyside).30pthed 30pthed 30pthed 30pthedFulham   1
Aston Villa   0

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/353619?

Forever Fulham

Way to go, Baird.  These are games we must win. 

WhiteJC

Fulham boss hails 'versatile' Baird

MARTIN Jol insists Chris Baird has grabbed his chance in midfield with both hands after bagging the winner against Aston Villa on Saturday.

The North Ireland international swept home the only goal of the game late on as the Whites got back on track at Craven Cottage.

The summer departures of Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu and a knee injury to Mahamadou Diarra meant boss Jol has been forced to deploy Baird in a holding role in the middle of the park.

And the Fulham boss insists the former Southampton man has taken his chance.

He said: "This is a new role for Chris. I explained to him that we needed a new identity in midfield and that he could help.

"He certainly did that. He is a good football player and he is becoming more and more important for us.

"Last season he played right-back and centre-back and I am very pleased that he is so versatile and that he could do that job for us.

"He is playing for the national team in midfield now too which is good and they got a good result against Portugal.

"He is probably on top of his game and that was exactly what we needed."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/10/22/82029-32079972/?#ixzz2A2a9uc2i

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Martin Jol delighted with Chris 'Bairdinho'

Martin Jol hailed "Bairdinho" for giving Fulham's midfield a new identity following the summer departures of Clint Dempsey, Danny Murphy and Mousa Dembele.

Chris Baird, a converted defender, scored the late winner in Fulham's 1-0 Barclays Premier League victory over Aston Villa with a deft touch at the near post worthy of a Brazilian striker.

Dempsey, Murphy and Dembele left big shoes to fill at Craven Cottage and, with Mahamadou Diarra having been out injured, Baird has answered Jol's call for help with aplomb.

"This is a new role for Chris. I explained to him that we needed a new identity in midfield and that he could help," Jol said. "He certainly did that. He is a good football player and he is becoming more and more important for us.

"Last season he played right-back and centre-back and I am very pleased that he is so versatile and that he could do that job for us. He is playing for the national team in midfield now too which is good and they got a good result against Portugal.

Baird's goal, from a low John Arne Riise corner Jol described as "the worst ever", was only the sixth of his career on his 200th league appearance.

Fulham fans christened him "Bairdinho" the last time he was on the scoresheet against Stoke two years ago.

"I think I'm well overdue a goal," the Northern Ireland international said. "I've had a few chances in the previous games so I felt it was time to get on the scoresheet and thankfully it was today.

"We got three points and it's nice to hear "Bairdinho" being sung around the ground and I really appreciated it."

It looked as though Villa would leave London with a battling point until Baird struck, and they still should have only for Christian Benteke to fire wide from close range.

Villa have taken just five points from their first eight league games, their worst start to a season since the relegation campaign of 1986-87, but manager Paul Lambert said: "I am disappointed to lose but I can't be too disheartened with the way they played.

"It is important they don't get their heads down. I have told them that. It is how you bounce back and I think they will be fine.

"I think they are mentally strong enough to handle it. You need a break, you need a little bit of luck along the way. It is deserting us at the minute."

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-manager-martin-jol-delighted-with-chris-bairdinho-8220240.html

WhiteJC

Riether's Relief

They say it's a sign of a good team when you win games despite not playing at your best, and while Fulham did dominate proceedings at Craven Cottage on Saturday, we still had to wait 84 minutes for the breakthrough against a dogged Aston Villa side.

What looked to be a frustrating afternoon ended in euphoria when Chris Baird poked home his first goal for the best part of two years, and defender Sascha Riether admitted his relief after his side finally broke Villa's resistance.

"It's always important to win at home," he told fulhamfc.com. "We tried to get the goal as we wanted to win the game. At the end we had some chances and finally we got a present!

"Three points is three points and sometimes games are like that where you have to fight. We had some good chances and, at the end of the day, we scored one more goal than the other team and for us it was an important win. We have the three points so all is okay!

"Chris always fights and always gives his best for the team so for us it was very important that he was able to score."

Sascha played a key role in the goal as Ashkan Dejagah's vicious curling strike from his cut-back saw visiting stopper Brad Guzan palm the ball over for the corner which led to Baird's winner.

Former teammates at VfL Wolfsburg, Riether is confident that there will be much more link-up play between the two down the right as the season progresses.

"You saw the possibilities that Ashkan created and it is clear that he is a good player," Sascha said. "He and I played a few years together and I hope we can go on and continue to work well with each other like we did on Saturday."

Next up for the Whites is a trip to the Madejski Stadium when we take on newly promoted Reading. The Royals are still searching for their first win of the season, and Sascha warns that they will be going all out to ensure that vital inaugural victory comes against Fulham.

"That will be a hard game against Reading on Saturday," our German right-back admitted. "They will fight until the end so we will have to fight too. After the Villa game we have a bit of time to relax and refresh ourselves before getting back to work and ensuring that we have a good preparation for the next game."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/22/riethers-relief?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss hails Baird for solving identity crisis

Fulham's Chris Baird celebrates scoring the winner against Aston Villa.
Photo credit: Adam Davy/EMPICS

Martin Jol is delighted that Chris Baird has given Fulham's midfield a new identity after the heart of the side was ripped out during the transfer window.

Summer departures of captain Danny Murphy (Blackburn), Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey (both Tottenham) added to the injury of Mahamadou Diarra left the Whites with a gaping hole in the middle of the pitch.

It's one that the Northern Ireland international has ably filled after Jol converted him from a defender and he repaid the manager's faith by score a late winner against Aston Villa in the Premier League on Saturday – the sixth goal of his career on his 200th league appearance.

"This is a new role for Chris," the Dutchman said, adding: "I explained to him that we needed a new identity in midfield and that he could help.

"He certainly did that. He is a good football player and had a good education at Southampton [as an academy graduate].

"Last year he played right back, centre and I'm very pleased that he's so versatile and that he could do that job for us.

"He's important to us. He's getting fitter and fitter. He is playing for the national team in midfield now too which is good and they got a good result against Portugal.

Strikers Dimitar Berbatov and Mladen Petric were both restored to the Fulham line-up for Saturday's win and Jol believes Baird can help supply of the two front men.

"My midfield must be good because I need to get the ball to my quality players. Sometimes you see that it was probably a bit better last year, no mention of names, but that is a matter of practising, exercising, but we have to play the ball forward.

"We have to be confident to link up. That is what we want and as soon as we don't do that we start to drop our style and drop our quality.

"I'm happy that Chris understands that and he wants to play."

The Fulham boss also praised Baird's nine-year Southampton schooling in creating a player that can ably occupy a number of different roles.

"It's about education," Jol said, adding: "Chris, when I came [to Fulham], they said he was a defensive full back and then six months later someone told me he was a midfield player. Then they said he was probably a typical centre back and then you get this split identity.

"I feel that Chris wants to play. Southampton helped him of course because over the last two decades they've had a very good education. I'm very pleased that a rigid defender can be a very creative midfield player as well.

"I think he can do that. I feel that he played in midfield for [Roy] Hodgson as well, once of twice. That gave me a little bit of hope that he could do that for me as well. He did that."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_hails_baird_for_solving_identity_crisis_1_1664359

WhiteJC

Fulham goal hero still not ready to give up on first love

CHRIS Baird is refusing to accept he is now a fully paid-up member of the midfield club – admitting that he still feels he is a defender at heart.

It was Roy Hodgson who revitalised the Northern Irishman's career at the Cottage by giving him a new lease of life as a midfielder and Martin Jol seems to see that as his best position.

But in spite of his first goal for two years on Saturday which gave Fulham a 1-0 win over Aston Villa, Baird still wants to play in central defence.

"I do like it in the midfield, but I still like centre half as well," said the man home fans were calling 'Bairdinho' again after his goal – a tag he picked up after scoring twice at Stoke two years ago.

"I'm still edging towards centre half but I'm not complaining at the minute. I'm playing and I think I'm doing all right. I'm even scoring goals!

"I was well overdue one. I've had a few chances in previous games and felt it was time to get on the scoresheet again. It was a mishit corner, but I got across and got the vital touch.

"I'm happy for myself and the team – it's a big three points."

Baird admits Fulham were far from at their best at the weekend, but takes comfort from the fact they still won.

"The performance wasn't up to our standards," he said. "We didn't pass it as well as we can. It was really frustrating. I don't know whether it was because it was after an international break, or what.

"But at the end of the day, we played played badly and got three points.

"We fancy our chances against anybody at home and we want to keep the good form going. Confidence is high and we've got a lot of players back fit as well."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/10/22/82029-32080087/?#ixzz2A2dQJz3C

WhiteJC

Fulham Focus - Late victory shows Cottagers' battling qualities as well as flair

Fight and spirit are not two words that would immediately spring to mind when you think of Fulham. Indeed, under Martin Jol and particularly at Craven Cottage, Fulham can often be expected to thrill and delight in a whirl of attacking football. However, on the occasions when the football is not quite as fluent, Jol's team can often struggle to put victories together. Two cases in point are the 0-5 home reverse to Manchester United last December and the 3-0 defeat to Swansea at Craven Cottage in March.

Thus, for all their swashbuckling and goal-laden victories at home of late, Martin Jol would surely have taken great satisfaction from the way his side battled to a victory over Aston Villa, secured only by a late goal from the unlikely source of Chris Baird.

It certainly was not easy, particularly in the second half where the sprightly attacking play showcased by the Cottagers in the first period petered out somewhat. Indeed, even after Baird had grabbed the winner on his 150th appearance for the club, Villa could well have grabbed an equaliser had substitute Christian Benteke been wearing his shooting boots.

However, the victory took Fulham to their 10th victory in their last 14 fixtures at Craven Cottage and above London rivals Arsenal into 8th position with 14 points from eight games, marking an extremely satisfying start to the season for Martin Jol's men.

Jol had plumped for a particularly attacking formation, with Dimitar Berbatov alongside Mladen Petric and Hugo Rodallega, and the front three - in the first half at least - showed signs of forging an understanding. Berbatov as ever was magisterial in some of his touches and movement and could well have both scored and laid on several goals as the Cottagers imposed themselves on the opposition.

Jol will also have been pleased by the return of Mahamadou Diarra from injury. There had been fears that the Mali midfield enforcer could miss the majority of the season with a knee injury but his return will boost Fulham's rather threadbare options in central midfield.

Elsewhere, full debuts were given to Greek veteran Giorgios Karagounis and wide man Ashkan Dejagah, who made a particularly good impression in the latter stages as the home side pushed for the victory.

Jol will also be pleased with the clean sheet, no matter how precarious it may have been. Conceding goals has been a problem for the Cottagers this season and thus the confidence of captain Brede Hangeland at least may be boosted.

However, it was fitting perhaps that the match-winner would be Chris Baird. The Northern Irishman has long been an unsung hero at the Cottage but has enjoyed a good start to the season, relishing in the departures of Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele to cement himself in central midfield for both club and country, where he is fresh from Northern Ireland's stunning 1-1 draw in Portugal.

The Cottagers will need to build on their battling qualities in order to maintain their positive start to the Premier League season.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_17236_fulham-focus-late-victory-shows-cottagers'-battling-qualities-as-well-as-flair.html

WhiteJC

U21 Palace Preview

Fulham's Under-21 side return to action on Monday night with Kit Symons' charges taking on Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.

Symons, Fulham's Under-21 Manager, spent four seasons as a player with Palace before stepping into a variety of coaching roles – overseeing not only their reserve side but their first team too, in assistant manager and caretaker manager roles.

Having guided Fulham to an impressive 3-1 defeat of Chelsea in their last Barclays Under-21 Premier League fixture – with Charles Banya and Marcello Trotta (2) on target – the 41-year-old will be hoping for a similar outcome tonight.

The two teams have already faced one another this term, with Palace recording a 4-1 victory at Motspur Park in early September. However, to date, that is the Eagles' only win of the season so far.

The home side are, though, unbeaten in their last two fixtures following draws with Chelsea and Manchester City in recent weeks.

"I was very pleased with the Chelsea performance, and it was a good win for us," said Symons. "We created a lot of chances, as we have done all season, so obviously we want to build on that.

"Palace are a good side, we saw that earlier on in the season, although saying that, we were very poor that day. We gave away sloppy goals and really should have done better, but tonight we have the opportunity of putting that right.

"I spent time at Palace as a player and as a coach, and I enjoyed both. I still have friends at the club, so on a personal level it's an interesting one for me. But putting that aside, I just want to see a positive performance from our lads and for them to show what they are capable of.

"We can take a lot from the defeat of Chelsea last time out. Again, I expect it to be a mix of First Team players – obviously as many as the rules allow – and our boys in the development group. We have a good mix, and hopefully we can get the result that we want."

Crystal Palace Under-21s v Fulham Under-21 takes place at Selhurst Park, kick-off 7pm.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/22/u21-palace-preview?

WhiteJC

Mikele aims for home comfort

"We''ll come out all guns blazing"

Mikele Leigertwood wants the Royals to come back with a bang when they face Fulham at Madejski Stadium next weekend.

The Antiguan international returned from injury to play in the 1-0 defeat at Anfield on Saturday afternoon, and is keeping a level head in the run up to a clash with the Cottagers.

"We want to get out there as soon as possible and try and pick up a win," said Mikele.

"It's still early days, but we can't keep saying that – we've got a home game and we have to make it count. We come to these places and we've got to give a good account of ourselves, for a part of the second half on Saturday we did that and probably should have got a goal.

"We've got to do better. We've been patient long enough I think, we've got to go out next game all guns blazing and try and get something."

The cause was not helped as Leigertwood's central midfield partner Jem Karacan was forced off with a knee injury, and whilst the Turkish Academy product waits on scans to assess the extent of the problem – Reading's number eight has backed him to battle back.

"He had a nasty injury last year and I know more than anything what this type of injury is like, I've had it a couple of times. He's a good healer so hopefully I'll be back sooner rather than later."

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/leigertwood-221012-438762.aspx?

WhiteJC

Tavares targets Fulham first-team place

Fulham's newest signing Mickael Tavares says it is a dream to finally play in the Premier League.

The 29-year-old was signed on a free after the West London club lost central midfielders Mousa Dembele, Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu in the summer.

Martin Jol knew the holding midfielder from their time together at Hamburg and he was quick to snap up the former Middlesbrough man on a short-term deal.

"It's a dream for everybody to play in the Premier League," said Tavares. "I was at Middlesbrough in the Championship but the Premier League is something else so I'm very happy to be here."

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/121022/tavares-targets-fulham-first-team-place-183582?#Q520I17cdc4Djydo.99

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Neil Etheridge and Dan Burn were in league action for their respective loan sides at the weekend, with both players helping their teams earn maximum points.

Etheridge kept goal for Bristol Rovers as the Pirates took an early two goal lead, only for Torquay United to hit back in the second half to make it 2-2. But as the game entered its final stages, Tom Eaves hit the winner as he converted former Fulham man Wayne Brown's pass for 3-2.

Burn also enjoyed 90 minutes of match action as Yeovil Town defeated bottom of the table Bury at Huish Park to move up to 14th in the npower League One. Byron Webster gave Town the lead on 34 minutes after the away side had been reduced to 10 men, before Bury equalised in the second half through Dominic Poleon. Sam Foley responded just minutes later though to earn the Glovers another vital win.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/22/loan-roundup?