watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Defending Set pieces

Started by CanadianCottager, October 22, 2012, 06:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanadianCottager

Interesting statistic, of the 11 goals Fulham have conceded, 6 of them have been from either corners or crossed free kicks. In fact Fulham have conceded more goals from corners than any other team in the BPL. http://www.whoscored.com/Graphics/118/Show/Premier-League-2012-13-How-Teams-Have-Conceded-Goals

What do you think has been our problem from set pieces this season? From open play we're pretty astute at defending but our set piece record is probably one of the poorest in the league. Hopefully we can get this sorted, we're on course for a strong performance this year.

jazz hardrockin

Quote from: CanadianCottager on October 22, 2012, 06:23:09 AM
Interesting statistic, of the 11 goals Fulham have conceded, 6 of them have been from either corners or crossed free kicks. In fact Fulham have conceded more goals from corners than any other team in the BPL. http://www.whoscored.com/Graphics/118/Show/Premier-League-2012-13-How-Teams-Have-Conceded-Goals

What do you think has been our problem from set pieces this season?

Defenders and goalkeeper come to mind....lol.What do you think???... 064.gif
No animal is being hurt in the making of this posting.

elgreenio

cant remember which, but one goal was definitely down to not having somebody on the post (Southampton?)
touch my camera through the fence

BestOfBrede

If it's true what people are saying about Brede being unhappy, then that will have an effect. We also used to have Zamora and Dempsey assisting in defence, for corners and free kicks, which I think we miss. But, In my opinion Schwarzer should be more commanding in 'his' area. I said before and I will say it again - It's time for Stockers!

nose

I think not having players on the posts at  corners and then getting out quickly is a problem. The team has to defend more as a unit, that was Roy's strength. We are better going forward nowadays.

fulhamben

schwarzer. a few of those goals he has dithered, started to come and stopped and went for it and missed it.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

epsomraver

Quote from: CanadianCottager on October 22, 2012, 06:23:09 AM

What do you think has been our problem from set pieces this season? From open play we're pretty astute at defending but our set piece record is probably one of the poorest in the league. Hopefully we can get this sorted, we're on course for a strong performance this year. 

Being technical there is no such thing as the BPL, there is the English Premier league for those outside the UK and the mickey mouse league north of the border also laughingly  called a premier league where12 teams play each other about 6 times each but it gets great coverage on National TV news.

Ordar

I think thats actually a very interesting point. I never feel particularly like we're going to get carved apart from open play (until we start defending too deep like against the Manchester clubs).

I think the problem from corners is 3 fold.

1) I Schwarzer, as has been mentioned isnt that commanding from corners. Stockdale isnt the answer Stekelenburg is.

2) Players seem to switch off/not know exactly what is expected from corners. Hence the lack of player on the post against Soton.

3) and I've said this for years. Bringing everyone back for corners is counter productive. We should leave 2 or possibly even 3 players forward for corners. It makes the box less congested and also gives us options for a quick break

At least Jol has acknowledged that there is a problem and the players were working on it last week

epsomraver

) and I've said this for years. Bringing everyone back for corners is counter productive. We should leave 2 or possibly even 3 players forward for corners. It makes the box less congested and also gives us options for a quick break

Being saying that for years, very good point,  Woy did it, even Cookie, it creates a mayhem of 21 players in a small area, leave 2 up field and they have to keep at least 3 back to mark, it makes so much sense.

nose

I agree 100%. Leave at least one player up the field. too many players in a small space makes it a lottery. If the ball is cleared quickly then we can be attacking, nobody up the field invites pressure.

I met Roy once (he was charming) and asked him about 11 back for set pieces and he more or less said 11 back was safety first even if the ball did come back so quickly.

epsomraver

Should have asked why it is safety, all it does is invite pressure, when we had AJ and fit , just him up the field would have tied down at least 2 defenders, also took him away from defence and his dodgy mistimed tackles that nearly cost us dear we seemed to do now and again but it soon went back to the all out defence. Berba and Ruiz up would tie a lot of defenders down.

jarv

Schwartz and Hangeland, both a bit below par this season.(so far). I agree with leaving some players at half way but it takes Berbatov about 10 minutes to get from there to the opponents goal.

fulhamben

if frei and ashkan were on the pitch id leave them both up. not only would they leave 3 defenders on them but i doubt they would push there line up to the half way line either. allowing lots of space for a good counter attack
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

The King

Quote from: BestOfBrede on October 22, 2012, 08:12:28 AMBut, In my opinion Schwarzer should be more commanding in 'his' area. I said before and I will say it again - It's time for Stockers!

As far as I remember, that was Stockdale's biggest problem. Hopefully he has improved in that aspect, would like to see him given a chance at least.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: The King on October 22, 2012, 12:25:51 PM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on October 22, 2012, 08:12:28 AMBut, In my opinion Schwarzer should be more commanding in 'his' area. I said before and I will say it again - It's time for Stockers!

As far as I remember, that was Stockdale's biggest problem. Hopefully he has improved in that aspect, would like to see him given a chance at least.
Stockdale is also a better distributor of the ball!

Riverside

Quote from: fulhamben on October 22, 2012, 12:16:59 PM
if frei and ashkan were on the pitch id leave them both up. not only would they leave 3 defenders on them but i doubt they would push there line up to the half way line either. allowing lots of space for a good counter attack

Agreed both have the pace and ball control

Either both or either or. One of them would keep 2 defenders back at least . Any Frei I don't think is a great header / defender . Kaca  could do the same .