more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff(24/10/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 24, 2012, 04:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cottagers sweat on striker's fitness

Martin Jol has admitted that he does not know if forward Bryan Ruiz will be fit for Fulham's trip to Reading on Saturday.

The 27-year-old frontman picked up a groin injury while on international duty with Costa Rica in their recent win over El Salvador and subsequently missed last Tuesday's victory over Guyana and then the Cottagers' return to Premier League action against Aston Villa on Saturday.

And Cottagers' boss, Jol, has now revealed that Ruiz is already facing a race against time in order to be available for the game at the Madejski Stadium this coming weekend.

"He was close," said Jol with regards to Ruiz being fit for the 1-0 home win against Villa.

"He was in the line-up and then he did something and slipped and felt his groin again so couldn't be involved.

"I don't know [whether he will be fit for this weekend]. I hope so."

The Cottagers were boosted by Dimitar Berbatov's return from injury on Saturday and he linked up with Mladen Petric in the attack at Craven Cottage.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottagers-sweat-on-strikers-fitness-1488595.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham defender set for contract extension

Alex Smith

FULHAM are set to hand a new one-year deal to young defender Alex Smith.

The 20-year-old has come through the ranks at Craven Cottage and made his first-team debut as a substitute in the win against West Brom last month.

However, reserve-team regular Smith is in the final 12 months of his contract at the Whites.

But boss Martin Jol is ready to hand the versatile youngster an extension to stay in SW6.

"He is under contract but we will extend him again," said the Dutchman. "He's got this year and I will give him another year because I feel he deserves that."

While fellow young guns Alex Kacaniklic and Kerim Frei have established themselves in the Fulham first-team, Smith has struggled to cement a regular place in the squad.

But Jol insists the south Londoner shows plenty of promise.

"Alex Smith is almost a victim of systems," he added. "He played left-back in a 4-4-2, but he's a midfield player if you play in a 4-3-3 like Swansea or like we did last season.

"Every time he's our best player in the reserve matches. He's underestimated and is still young."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/10/23/82029-32088639/?#ixzz2ABSYRDiV

WhiteJC

Dan's Loan Extension

The Club can confirm that Dan Burn's loan deal with Yeovil Town has been extended until 20th November 2012.

Dan has become an important part of Town's first team since initially joining the club at the end of September and has made six appearances, playing the full 90 minutes on each occasion.

Burn made an eventful debut for the Glovers when he scored at both ends of the pitch in a 3-2 defeat at Preston North End. Fortunes have been mixed since that match but Yeovil have made signs of progress, with Burn helping his loan side to victories over Colchester United and Bury – their first league victories since September 1st.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/23/dans-loan-extension?

WhiteJC

Jol hails the moves of Dejagah

Martin Jol has backed Ashkan Dejagah to rival Damien Duff for a place on Fulham's right wing following his display against Aston Villa.

The Cottagers chief was impressed with the Iran international, who signed for the Londoners from German Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg during the summer transfer window, when he came on during the second half of Saturday's late 1-0 win at Craven Cottage.

And, with striker Hugo Rodallega occupying the right midfield slot from the start in the absence of the ill Duff, Jol has now hinted that Dejagah will get the nod in future games possibly ahead of the Republic of Ireland veteran.

He told the Chronicle: "I had Kacaniklic [on the bench] and I know what I can expect [from him] so it was almost a gamble. I thought, 'I have to do something'.

"Sometimes, after seven or eight games as a manager you get a bit of luck and it comes off.

"Kaca probably thought he would come on and then the new player is preferred ahead of him, but that was the gut feeling I had.

"He's explosive and he should give Damien Duff competition for that place."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-hails-the-moves-of-dejagah-1488652.html?

WhiteJC

Tony Gale Column

Aaron Hughes is a player that probably goes a little unnoticed outside of Craven Cottage, which is a shame, because he is a hell of a player.

I've watched him a lot over the past few years and - now in his sixth season with the Club - he has been, and continues to be, a very important player.

He has been a model of consistency in that time, and yes, he might have made a few mistakes, but so does every player. What I will say though, is that he makes fewer than most.

Football is about partnerships; be that between the two front men or the two in the centre of the park – they often make the difference. Central defence is no different either, and in Hughes and Brede Hangeland, Fulham have two of the best.

They work so well alongside one another and they have provided a solid base for many years now – one that has been a key feature for the First Team.

He is deceptively quick too, and I've lost track of the amount of times he has got to the ball before a striker in a straight sprint for the ball. His recovery and reading of play is first class, and that ability allows Brede to get on the ball and bring it out from the back.

I always liked playing alongside Roger Brown during my time at the Club; sometimes in football, partnerships just work. And when they do, it's important to build on them – which is something Fulham have done. With Mark Schwarzer in behind them, it's one of the best in the Barclays Premier League.

As I have said, he is a player that slips under the radar sometimes, but for me, you really do notice when he isn't in the Team – and that is a sign of how vital he is.

At 32 he's still got plenty of football ahead of him; he's neat and tidy in possession and very rarely looks flustered. Aaron is a player that just gets on with things, and those players are worth their weight in gold.

He can play at right-back too, and as we saw last week, when going up against Cristiano Ronaldo, he's a match for anyone. He was fantastic in Northern Ireland's 1-1 draw with Portugal in Porto and he's really impressed again this season.

Against his former club Aston Villa last Saturday he looked as assured as ever. Admittedly, Villa never really threatened, but when needed, he was always on hand to snuff out any potential danger. It was a difficult game at times, but three important points were picked up nonetheless.

A trip to Reading is up next for Aaron and the boys, and I think they have to be looking to take a further three points again on Saturday. I'll be covering the game for Sky Sports' Football First, and I really believe that Fulham can get another away victory.

If they are to do that, then they need to make sure that Brian McDermott's side don't get off to a quick start. Reading are looking for their first win of the season, and I fully expect them to come racing straight out of the blocks.

I think there is more to come from Fulham, but it has been a positive start to say the least. If they are to have a decent season, which I think they will, then rest assured Hughesy will again play his part. 

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/october/23/tony-gale-column?

WhiteJC

Etheridge sticks with Rovers
Bristol Rovers have confirmed they have extended the loan of Fulham goalkeeper Neil Etheridge until December.

The 22-year-old has only tasted defeat once in his six appearances since joining on an initial one-month deal from Craven Cottage.

Mark McGhee has made no secret of his desire to keep the Philippines international and the Premier League club have confirmed that the loan extension until December 20 is now official.

http://www.football365.com/fulham/8189355/Etheridge-sticks-with-Rovers?

WhiteJC

Rodallega vows to come good in front of goal for Fulham
The striker has scored just once since his summer arrival, but has revealed his intention to push the club up the league and into Europe in the "biggest challenge" of his career

Getty Images

Hugo Rodallega has insisted that he will come good in front of goal for Fulham after a stuttering start to life at Craven Cottage

The striker, who has scored just once in seven appearances in all competitions for the Cottagers, insists that there is more to come from him and believes he will not let the pressure get the better of him.

"It's my job to score goals, it's what I am here to do. It's also one of the things that I live for – it's a beautiful feeling and one like no other on the football pitch," he told the club's official website.

"To see the fans celebrating after you have scored is like a revolution – and one that I have caused. It's something that makes me very happy.

"At this level, scoring goals is a difficult thing to do. People expect strikers to score, it's simple, and they are right. Of course, with that comes pressure, but that's something that I have learned to live with.

"If anything that pressure inspires me, because if they expect good things, then it means I am a valuable player – one that can help make a difference in front of goal. You have to find ways of managing that pressure, and use it to your advantage."

Rodallega says he is relishing the challenge of pushing Fulham up the league and again challenge for a spot in Europe.

"Joining Fulham is the biggest challenge of my career," he added. "There were opportunities elsewhere, but I was excited by the prospect of playing for this club.

"For me, I really believe that we could challenge for a place in Europe again, and I want to help take the team to even greater things.

"There is a lot of quality in the squad, and if you look at the players that I am competing with for a place in the starting XI – Dimitar Berbatov, Mladen Petric and Bryan Ruiz – that is quite clear."

The Colombian was more often than not the main man up front for Wigan but now finds himself in more of a squad role, battling for a starting spot with the aforementioned trio.

But the striker insists the competition is an added incentive and he is keen to banish the memories of previous club favourites Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele , who both left the club for Tottenham in the last few days of the transfer window.

He added: "Competition is good, though, I believe it can only improve you as a player. It keeps you on your toes and striving to be the best that you can be.

"I know the fans were disappointed to see Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembélé leave, because they were heroes here, but I want to make a similar impact and help them forget about that loss."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/10/23/3472262/-?

WhiteJC

Fan power forces Rovers to pull plug on McKinlay's proposed move to Blackburn

Blackburn have pulled the plug on their attempt to appoint Fulham's first-team coach Billy McKinlay as their new manager following protests from fans.

The club's global advisor Shebby Singh hoped to appease supporters in the wake of Steve Kean's unpopular reign by installing a former player as his successor, and had already tried to bring in Tim Sherwood from Tottenham.

Right hand man: McKinlay is currently the assistant to Jol at Fulham

But the move backfired over McKinlay's lack of managerial experience and suggestions – denied by sources close to him – that he remains friends with Kean from their time together at Fulham.

'Supporters are not willing to put up with another experiment,' said Glenn Mullan, chairman of the Blackburn Rovers Action Group.

'Talk of Billy McKinlay and Tim Sherwood, who are both coaches with no managerial experience, has sent supporters into meltdown.'

Fulham had already rejected Blackburn's initial approach for 43-year-old McKinlay on Monday, and the threat of more boycotts by disgruntled fans has convinced Singh to look elsewhere.

Caretaker boss Eric Black, who has failed to win in four games since Kean's departure, will again be in charge for Wednesday's game at home to Sheffield Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2222167/Billy-McKinlays-Blackburn-Rovers-fans-protest.html#ixzz2ABUiIrPv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook