watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Frei gone to cardiff apparently

Started by Zu-Meister, October 26, 2012, 09:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BishopsParkFantastic

I've been interested to read postings under this topic, however I stand by what I originally stated on the subject of Frei and his loan to Cardiff - but I hope with a greater clarity, as follows:

Frei played over 20 1st team matches last season for Fulham. He was hailed as a huge, emerging talent. I was looking forward this season to seeing him being 'rotated' with Kaca on the left wing. In comes Richardson to the squad, apparently brought in by Jol as cover to Riise (good idea!) but actually being used as replacement and cover to Kaca. Following a bad injury, Frei was announced as fully fit for our last home game – and wasn't even on the subs bench! Then, apparently just with three days' notice, he was told he was off on loan to Cardiff until 2nd December (potentially 8 matches). I would argue that he should be rotated with Kaca on the left, to bring him back to full match play with close oversight from our own medical and training support staff.

I do agree with the idea of loaning out our young, developing players like Kasami, Trotta, Briggs and Burn et al. who have not made it as regulars in the 1st team. However, it appears that having made a breakthrough into our 1st team, Frei is now been put back into the same category of development as these players. Cardiff are in a very tough, competitive position in the Championship and risk of injury will be great – also, perhaps Frei will be sitting on the bench? Who knows. But his welfare and development are out of our hands.  

Kaca did benefit from being loaned out to Watford, but he was not at the same development level as Frei, and had not achieved any consistent level of 1st team starts – his position was more the same as Trotta, Briggs and Kasami, now.

Cardiff fans (on their message board) are overjoyed, and cannot believe their luck in getting Frei on loan. If Frei is excellent, and Cardiff are top of the championship come 2nd December, I think it would be reasonable to expect Cardiff to make a bid for him in the January transfer window (to continue on loan to end of the season or to buy). Would Fulham refuse an offer? On the basis of what I have said, and previous experience with other players including Chris Smalling, I think he would go. As I also think Duff and Hangeland will go at the end of the season (that's another topic!).  

At this time, if I was Frei, I would be thinking where best my future lies – possibly to play regularly for Cardiff in the premiership next season, or attempting to get back on the bench at Fulham!

An example of Jol's inconsistency on loan moves, and commitment to giving our best young talent opportunities to provide 1st team cover:

Fulham & Hammersmith Chronicle: 17.9.2012  
Under the heading "Jol blocks loan moves for Fulham youngsters"
Fuham boss Martin Jol has ruled out any of his fringe players leaving on loan because they're needed at Craven Cottage as back-up. The Dutchman had hoped to send out Matthew Briggs, Pajtim Kasami and Marcello Trotta, only to miss out on some of his targets on deadline day. Jol was still weighing up whether to loan some of his youngsters to get first-team football, but has decided to keep them in SW6 to provide cover.

Now, all of these players, plus Burn, Etheridge, Stockdale and now Frei being negotiated out on loan.

I may be proven wrong to be as concerned as I am on all of this, but these are my views and comments. I`ll be overjoyed with any best outcome with the result that we can see Frei playing regularly in our 1st team, and not with someone else!

MJG

Of course he blocked moves. The squad at that time had lost players, some injured and some left. He was being sensible at the time.
Now the squad is almost fully fit he can allow some out on short term loans.
Don't mix up being fully fit with match fitness. And that what Frei needs..matches. as I said earlier I would have preferred he stayed and have long stated the wish to alternate him with Kaca on a game by game basis.
As for Cardiff biding in January and us selling him to them...that's just laughable.

JimmyDunnesBum

Quote from: elgreenio on October 26, 2012, 10:31:34 AM
in all honesty, this is good news for us if true. Kaca/Richardson/Ruiz have us sorted for left mid, would be nice for him to learn his trade and get some momentum going a la Kaca last season

sure we have options on the left , but kerim is already better  on the left than the 3 you mentioned ,imho.

baffling ,to say the least.

cebu

Quote from: The Moose on October 27, 2012, 02:26:26 AM
Quote from: cebu on October 27, 2012, 01:52:07 AM
Quote from: ffcbulgaria on October 27, 2012, 12:01:39 AM
Quote from: The Moose on October 26, 2012, 08:00:50 PM
Quote from: ffcbulgaria on October 26, 2012, 07:51:56 PM
He has the Swiss nationality I believe. I don't see what clearance he needs unless there's some restriction for people from Switzerland to work in the UK?
Switzerland isn't in the EU.

Did Hangeland need a clearance? Did Senderos need one? I think you should be getting my point now :D

Hangeland is from Norway, so no clearance was required. Senderos is Swiss, so clearance was required.

Norway isn't in the EU either.

Ouch, yes, you're of course right about that and also the fact that Brede was already a regular international for Norway when he signed for Fulham.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on October 27, 2012, 08:47:35 AM
I've been interested to read postings under this topic, however I stand by what I originally stated on the subject of Frei and his loan to Cardiff - but I hope with a greater clarity, as follows:

Frei played over 20 1st team matches last season for Fulham. He was hailed as a huge, emerging talent. I was looking forward this season to seeing him being 'rotated' with Kaca on the left wing. In comes Richardson to the squad, apparently brought in by Jol as cover to Riise (good idea!) but actually being used as replacement and cover to Kaca. Following a bad injury, Frei was announced as fully fit for our last home game – and wasn't even on the subs bench! Then, apparently just with three days' notice, he was told he was off on loan to Cardiff until 2nd December (potentially 8 matches). I would argue that he should be rotated with Kaca on the left, to bring him back to full match play with close oversight from our own medical and training support staff.

I do agree with the idea of loaning out our young, developing players like Kasami, Trotta, Briggs and Burn et al. who have not made it as regulars in the 1st team. However, it appears that having made a breakthrough into our 1st team, Frei is now been put back into the same category of development as these players. Cardiff are in a very tough, competitive position in the Championship and risk of injury will be great – also, perhaps Frei will be sitting on the bench? Who knows. But his welfare and development are out of our hands. 

Kaca did benefit from being loaned out to Watford, but he was not at the same development level as Frei, and had not achieved any consistent level of 1st team starts – his position was more the same as Trotta, Briggs and Kasami, now.

Cardiff fans (on their message board) are overjoyed, and cannot believe their luck in getting Frei on loan. If Frei is excellent, and Cardiff are top of the championship come 2nd December, I think it would be reasonable to expect Cardiff to make a bid for him in the January transfer window (to continue on loan to end of the season or to buy). Would Fulham refuse an offer? On the basis of what I have said, and previous experience with other players including Chris Smalling, I think he would go. As I also think Duff and Hangeland will go at the end of the season (that's another topic!). 

At this time, if I was Frei, I would be thinking where best my future lies – possibly to play regularly for Cardiff in the premiership next season, or attempting to get back on the bench at Fulham!

An example of Jol's inconsistency on loan moves, and commitment to giving our best young talent opportunities to provide 1st team cover:

Fulham & Hammersmith Chronicle: 17.9.2012 
Under the heading "Jol blocks loan moves for Fulham youngsters"
Fuham boss Martin Jol has ruled out any of his fringe players leaving on loan because they're needed at Craven Cottage as back-up. The Dutchman had hoped to send out Matthew Briggs, Pajtim Kasami and Marcello Trotta, only to miss out on some of his targets on deadline day. Jol was still weighing up whether to loan some of his youngsters to get first-team football, but has decided to keep them in SW6 to provide cover.

Now, all of these players, plus Burn, Etheridge, Stockdale and now Frei being negotiated out on loan.

I may be proven wrong to be as concerned as I am on all of this, but these are my views and comments. I`ll be overjoyed with any best outcome with the result that we can see Frei playing regularly in our 1st team, and not with someone else!

Frei had some excellent games, notably against Chelsea and Odense. But he also had a number of games where his threat was nullified because his game was too predictable. He does need to add a bit more variety to his game. He has yet to start this season for a short term loan where he is guaranteed playing time is good for him and us. We have a recall option which we will take up if he isn't playing very much.
As for Cardiff buying him if he does well, do you seriously think he would leave us - a team consistently finishing in the top half of the table with ambitions of breaking into the top 6 - for a team that even if promoted would be fighting off relegation for a number of years. Add to that the fact that we play far better football. I am in no doubts at all that Jol will have told him he has every chance of becoming a regular starter.
Jol isn't being at all inconsistent. Frei needs playing time. Kacanicklic is the more complete player and this is due in large part to his loan spell. Richardson may have had a poor start but he will improve. Furthermore when he said that we wouldn't be loaning out these young players we had a depleted squad; a huge number of injuries. We now have an almost full squad to play with, plus we've added a couple more central midfielders.

os5889

Frei in the capital update number 1

Kerim played the last 10 minutes in Cardiff's 4-0 win against Burnley, the friends I have who went to the game said he looked sharp and his pace impressed. Its good to see him back playing football.

At least it's not a blue shirt...