Main Menu

Spelling/grammar lesson

Started by Scrumpy, October 28, 2012, 11:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SG

Quote from: CorkedHat on November 10, 2012, 02:22:57 AM
Quote from: ron on November 09, 2012, 04:51:39 PM
Quote from: CorkedHat on November 09, 2012, 02:44:44 AM
I was merely using the vernacular, Ron, although you raise a moot point.
We often see the comment that “Fulham are doing well” when grammarians would argue that Fulham being a single entity in that there is not more than one Fulham, it should be “Fulham is doing well.”
It is like the pronunciation of Moet and Chandon. Do you pronounce Moet correctly and be thought to be wrong or do you pronounce it wrongly so that the hoi polloi think you are educated?

Life must be good down under CH...I don't think I've ever had to say Moet and Chandon !

'Whereas I believe that Australian wine is far superior to anything the French can produce'

I know that this is a grammar thread but Mr CH how can you believe that. I think the Australian sun has got to your head. As you said each to their/his own. Good to see you back. I find your entire life story rather inspirational compared to my somewhat ordinary (but happy) existence.

The King

Has definitely been mentioned at all? It is probably one of the most misspelled words. Definately, defiantly, definantly, definetly, definently...

CorkedHat

Come now Mr SG.
I appreciate that mass consumption is no indicator of quality otherwise more people would read the Guardian than the Sun and more viewers would watch Panorama than The Eastenders, but consumption of Australian wine in Britain is far higher than French wine. Given that our wine has to travel around 17,000 miles whereas theirs only has a few hundred kilometres to negotiate, that surely says something about our quality.
That aside, independent judges regularly place Hill of Grace ( which was Mr Finn's favourite) and Penfold Grange (which is my favourite) in the top ten wines in the world.
Australian wines are for today and tomorrow. French wines, like their football team, are of a bygone era. Viva la Australie. oztralian
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

ron

Wouldn't that be L'Australie .....?

....only joking !   093.gif

CorkedHat

Quote from: ron on November 10, 2012, 10:37:56 PM
Wouldn't that be L'Australie .....?

....only joking !   093.gif

No idea, I speak three languages, English, Flemish and Rubbish - French is somewhat sketchy,
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us