watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Spelling/grammar lesson

Started by Scrumpy, October 28, 2012, 11:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

Sorry, I am going to sound like a really sad plonker, but just a quick English lesson to those who spent their school days round the back of the bike shed...

'I should have thumped him ' is often shortened to ' I should've thumped him'.

IT IS NOT 'I should of thumped him', 'Martin Jol should of done this', 'if I was Berba I would of done that'. It does my head in!! fp.gif

IT IS 'I should've thumped him', 'Martin Jol should've done this', 'if I was Berba I would've done that'.

If you learn just one new thing today, then please learn this. I know I am just pissing in the wind against the strengthening gale that is academic mediocrity and the dumbing down of the English language, but this one little change would really mean the world to me. So, as a favour, could you do this for me? You are not bad people but this one small change will help you get a decent job, a beautiful wife, a large house and a yacht.

Thanks.

092.gif
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

King_Crud

I can't agree with this enough, +1

Burt

"You should of..." is the preserve of my mother in law - Queen of Hindsight  :dft011:

Berserker

Quote from: Burt on October 28, 2012, 11:23:48 PM
"You should of..." is the preserve of my mother in law - Queen of Hindsight  :dft011:

More like "Why did you do that" in my Mother-in-laws case!!!
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Scrumpy

Quote from: Berserker on October 28, 2012, 11:31:06 PM
Quote from: Burt on October 28, 2012, 11:23:48 PM

More like "Why did you do that" in my Mother-in-laws case!!!

.......and don't get me started on question marks!  :dft012:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Burt

My grammatical pet hate at the moment is "like". Every second word out of my daughter's mouth. Ugh.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Yeh, it gets right on you tit .............innit !!!

Burt

Innit... Now that's Burt Jr's fave.

HatterDon

There IS a difference between "our" and "are." I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw that, but I've seen it now in several places. Weird.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cebu

We should start by spelling our players names correctly - like Schwarzer, Hangeland, Riether ... yeah, I know, there's no chance ... innit!   :022:

The King

Are players should of stopped scratching they're balls when they where supposed to defend set peaces. That's is all.

Lighthouse

I only ever met one of my grammars for a short time when I was very young. But as somebody who doesn't know or sadly care about the way one communicates as long as people are encouraged to communicate. May I just say. It is not THESE ONES, but THESE. Even the BBC comes out with this phrase.

I should of thought that was ....oh wait .....I should have thought .....Oh boll.... English is not easy. So many of these ones to think of.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

Totally agree, Scrumpy, however it's "if I were Berba" not "was".

Other annoying examples are: there and their, are and our (as someone said), "underway" for under way. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

sunburywhite

Quote from: The King on October 29, 2012, 06:41:06 AM
Are players should of stopped scratching they're balls when they where supposed to defend set peaces. That's is all.

Should've that been "players should've stopped ..." like LOL
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

farfouille

You learn news about your favourite team and you learn English... What a great forum that is!  :dft011:
It would be great to have one English lesson every day here. Or maybe once a week?
"Everybody's assuming [Berbatov will go] but as far as I know he is a Man United player....my mistake. Oh my God. He's a Fulham player."
- Rene Meulensteen

King_Crud

King_Crud

another major gripe: "for all intensive purposes". Once had an argument with a guy on facebook who'd written that, he tried to tell me he wasn't wrong, the English language evolves. I told him that evolution is not an excuse for being incorrect.

PLB

Quote from: King_Crud on October 29, 2012, 08:44:06 AM
you need to be more pacific

I know so many people who say this! infuriating.

Berserker

I've become paranoid now, i won't be able to post any more for fear of being castigated :-(
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.