watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Haunted grounds?

Started by Scrumpy, October 31, 2012, 10:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

So Sky Sports News are doing a halloween special where some poor soul gets to spend the night at Goodison Park. Apparently it's one of the most haunted stadiums in the country. Yeah right!

Isn't the Stevenage Road stand supposed to be inhabited by the spirits of Fulham's founders? I bet The Cottage has a few ghosts floating around. I can't believe they didn't pay us a visit.

English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

mr-ska

Yeah there was that quote that the ghosts of our founders meet in the Stevenage Road Stand..  in times of trouble,  The mid 80's to the mid 90's they were probably there full time...  often doubling our attendance....

Admin

It's in here somewhere, I love this video. Proper club.

Fulham FC - A Proper Football Club

Admin

LBNo11

Quote from: mr-ska on October 31, 2012, 10:59:00 PM
Yeah there was that quote that the ghosts of our founders meet in the Stevenage Road Stand..  in times of trouble,  The mid 80's to the mid 90's they were probably there full time...  often doubling our attendance....

..."often doubling our attendance" in hindsight so funny, at the time, sadly true.. :Haynes The Maestro:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

bmasar

Based on our form there, I'd say Goodison is definitely haunted ground for FFC.

DiegoFulham

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 31, 2012, 10:50:34 PM
So Sky Sports News are doing a halloween special where some poor soul gets to spend the night at Goodison Park. Apparently it's one of the most haunted stadiums in the country. Yeah right!

Isn't the Stevenage Road stand supposed to be inhabited by the spirits of Fulham's founders? I bet The Cottage has a few ghosts floating around. I can't believe they didn't pay us a visit.

ahaha there again it could be haunted due to us not even getting a point there in the premier league ahaha
@DiegoFulham follow for a follow back

A Humble Man

I understand the Cottage was built on top of a graveyard.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

sunburywhite

Mark Hughes must be haunted by his failures
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Rupert

Quote from: A Humble Man on November 01, 2012, 08:03:35 AM

Where did you hear that? Genuinely interested, my understanding is the ground is built on the site of Anne Boleyne's hunting lodge, which was later occupied by various 18th/19th century "C" list celebs. The ground was later owned by the Church of England (Fulham Palace/Bishops Park were part of the Bishop of Lambeth's property, I think) but I have not seen anything suggesting it was ever a graveyard, at least until we made it a graveyard for Juventus' proud record of never losing a European tie after winning the first leg.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

A Humble Man

Quote from: Rupert on November 01, 2012, 08:34:23 AM
Quote from: A Humble Man on November 01, 2012, 08:03:35 AM

Where did you hear that? Genuinely interested, my understanding is the ground is built on the site of Anne Boleyne's hunting lodge, which was later occupied by various 18th/19th century "C" list celebs. The ground was later owned by the Church of England (Fulham Palace/Bishops Park were part of the Bishop of Lambeth's property, I think) but I have not seen anything suggesting it was ever a graveyard, at least until we made it a graveyard for Juventus' proud record of never losing a European tie after winning the first leg.

A Canadian cousin of mine met a Fulham fan in Toronto who said his great grandfather was buried under the pitch.  It seems unlikely but who actually knows as accurate history did not start until the 20th century.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

Rupert

I think your cousin was pulling your leg.

There are no Fulham fans in Toronto  :drums:

No, seriously, accurate history, apart from starting an awfully lot earlier than you are giving it credence for, is pretty red hot on bodies buried in consecreted ground, indeed church and parish records are some of the best kept from the 16th century onwards, and if the ground really had been an official graveyard, FFC would never have got possession of the lease back in the 1890s.
So, yes, unless the mysterious burial was the result of an underworld hit, somebody is playing a prank on you.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Yellow Jacket

One would think Hillsborough may be haunted for obvious reasons.

Berserker

Good job it wasn't on top of an Indian burial ground,  according to a lot of American Horror movies there could be no end of supernatural activities... Poltergists could have been the cause of Zamora missing the sitter last season!
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

A Humble Man

Quote from: Rupert on November 01, 2012, 04:18:30 PM

There are no Fulham fans in Toronto  :drums:

No, seriously, accurate history, apart from starting an awfully lot earlier than you are giving it credence for, is pretty red hot on bodies buried in consecreted ground, indeed church and parish records are some of the best kept from the 16th century onwards, and if the ground really had been an official graveyard, FFC would never have got possession of the lease back in the 1890s.
So, yes, unless the mysterious burial was the result of an underworld hit, somebody is playing a prank on you.

I think Fulham allowed cremated ashes to be thrown on the pitch, but that stopped a while ago, probably when players started kissing the turf.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

alfie

Quote from: A Humble Man on November 01, 2012, 05:29:07 PM
Quote from: Rupert on November 01, 2012, 04:18:30 PM

There are no Fulham fans in Toronto  :drums:

I think Fulham allowed cremated ashes to be thrown on the pitch, but that stopped a while ago, probably when players started kissing the turf.

during my time at Fulham there were several ashes memorial's none were ever buried under the pitch, if they were buried it was always behind the goal Hammersmith end.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't