watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Music or songs that bring tears to your eyes NFr

Started by epsomraver, November 02, 2012, 07:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

Every one if they are honest has a song hymn or tune that can bring on the tears, mine is in the living years by Mike and the mechanics, wonderful words and strangely I had a good relationship with my Dad, he always welled up when the hymn the  day thou gavest lord has ended was sung as it was the hymn sung  after the battle of Kohima in Burma was over and it obviously had some poignant memories for him which he never spoke about.

os5889

Sound of Silence by Simon + Garfunkel gets me all the time.

However Have a Nice Day by the Stereophonics gets me every time - it was played at the funeral for a guy in my year at school who died after a farming accident.

Travers Barney

Paul Weller..'Where'er Ye Go'  ...from 22 dreams.

Wonderful track that pulls on the heart strings

For Weller enthusiasts tonight BBC 4 from 9.20-11.20

coyw
We are the whites

Herbie

Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings

Songbird by Eva Cassidy

November Rain by Guns N Roses

cmg

Quote from: epsomraver on November 02, 2012, 07:37:17 PM
I had a good relationship with my Dad, he always welled up when the hymn the  day thou gavest lord has ended was sung as it was the hymn sung  after the battle of Kohima in Burma was over and it obviously had some poignant memories for him which he never spoke about.

If your Dad survived Kohima, which in itself marks him out as a man worthy of great respect, I am sure he witnessed many things that he was reluctant to speak about.

Kohima/Imphal was a major defeat for the Japanese Army, although at great cost to the 14th Army, and secured India from invasion.
In a war in which truly great Allied generals (rather than merely successful ones or self-publicists) were few and far between Slim has tended to be scandalously overlooked by historians.

BestOfBrede

Every one if they are honest has a song hymn or tune that can bring on the tears, mine is in the living years by Mike and the mechanics, wonderful words and strangely I had a good relationship with my Dad, he always welled up when the hymn the  day thou gavest lord has ended was sung as it was the hymn sung  after the battle of Kohima in Burma was over and it obviously had some poignant memories for him which he never spoke about.
Oh dear, I have to agree on 'in the living years' ! Fantastic song but upsets me every time ! I also have trouble with a few Les Miserables songs, just because - well I love the story and brilliantly staged, but last and not least, a few of the swooner's songs due to my mum!

epsomraver

Yes bring him home always has the missus in tears and the finale, we have seen it twelve times and it is the same every performance.

epsomraver

Quote from: cmg on November 02, 2012, 08:43:10 PM
I had a good relationship with my Dad, he always welled up when the hymn the  day thou gavest lord has ended was sung as it was the hymn sung  after the battle of Kohima in Burma was over and it obviously had some poignant memories for him which he never spoke about.

If your Dad survived Kohima, which in itself marks him out as a man worthy of great respect, I am sure he witnessed many things that he was reluctant to speak about.

Kohima/Imphal was a major defeat for the Japanese Army, although at great cost to the 14th Army, and secured India from invasion.
In a war in which truly great Allied generals (rather than merely successful ones or self-publicists) were few and far between Slim has tended to be scandalously overlooked by historians.

He had a great deal of time for Slim who came and spoke to the troops, same for Mountbatton, he always had a soft spot for Vera Lynn who went out there to sing for the troops.

He was conscripted into the Royal Norfolks  2nd battalion and went to India  soon after he was married, I found out later that he was mentioned in dispatches on GPT ridge  for going out under fire and giving aid and staying with the wounded until they could be brought back under cover of darkness, the woman at the Norfolk's museum told me that there were so many brave acts that day and he was put up for a MM, I remember as a tot playing with his medals, he gave them to us as toys,  I thought they were big coins, I still have his oak leaves though

Jamie88

First time ever I saw your face by Roberta Flack gets me

ron

Hearing "Nimrod" from the Enigma Variations by Elgar instantly conjures the mood of sadness and gratitude that comes with the Armistice commemoration each year at the Cenotaph.

A melancholy and sublime piece of music.

craig10

I don't have one however my grandad and mrs dad both struggle with Danny Boy

Lighthouse

Several songs for personal reasons bring me to the sniffles. But for no other reason Vera Lynn's 'When The Lights Go On Again' has always made be emotional just because it does.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Herbie

Quote from: ron on November 02, 2012, 10:36:52 PM
Hearing "Nimrod" from the Enigma Variations by Elgar instantly conjures the mood of sadness and gratitude that comes with the Armistice commemoration each year at the Cenotaph.

A melancholy and sublime piece of music.

That's the beauty of music, in that it evokes different emotions in different people.  Nimrod makes me smile as it reminds me of the opening ceremony of London 2012.  Once in a lifetime memories.

Scrumpy

Have to agree with a couple of posters that Les Miserables generally has me blubbing like a child.   :dft004: I first saw it 2 weeks after my Dad died. Big mistake.

English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

luisfa

what is the meaning of NFR? i've seen it in many titles and still dont get it lol

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Berserker

I take it to obviously mean 'Lots of Love' as loads of people use it and they are being nice to me as a Mod  ;-)   

NFR is 'Not Fulham Related'
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

f321ffc

Quote from: os5889 on November 02, 2012, 07:47:29 PM
Sound of Silence by Simon + Garfunkel gets me all the time.

However Have a Nice Day by the Stereophonics gets me every time - it was played at the funeral for a guy in my year at school who died after a farming accident

Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence - Madison Square Garden, NYC - 2009/10/29&30
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms Mandela Live 1988
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

ffc73

Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin

I'll Stand By You - The Pretenders