News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Poor old Pompey fans / there for the grace of god (Merged thread)

Started by bobby01, January 28, 2010, 12:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby01

Got the only two arabs in the world with no money, now their website has been shut down over unpaid bills. I thought their fans were great to us in the great escape, even giving us a round of applause as we left the ground. To have to live in Portsmouth and watch your football at Fratton Dump is bad enough but i feel for the fans who as usual are bottom of the agenda.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Steve_orino

A simlar thread going about West Spam and whether or not we feel bad for them...

I'd have to say I actually feel more for the Pompey fan than I do the Spam fan.  From what I've come to understand, Pompey is a decent away day, they support their team with fervor, and it's the site of our Greatest Escape.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Yarden

Gotta feel bad for them, look back just two years and they had a very promesing team. Just shows how fast things can change.

Sector9

If they go down and the inevitable keep falling (such as Charlton etc) I will really miss trips to Fratton Park. Haven't missed one since they've been in the premiership I think!

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Good lot the Pompy fans,I work with a few and they are really down in the dumps at the mo

bog

They have my sympathy, I wonder if there is an ulterior motive with these shady shifty owners. Not another Brighton where they sold the Goldstone Ground to a supermaket company. Worrying times.    

Oakeshott

Yes, it is hard not to sympathise with the Portsmouth fans. But there is an object lesson for us and other clubs in their plight. It is easy to demand new players are signed, so that we can "kick on" from 7th place last season, cover the problems caused by our current lack of full backs, etc. But it all costs money, which the level of support both we and Portsmouth, and numerous other clubs enjoy can't realistically cover except through the generosity of owners. And there is a limit to that, especially in the the dark side and Manchester City era where, no matter how much the likes of Mo and the Wigan and Reading owners (all three very rich by most standards) put in, they literally can't compete with the owners of those two clubs. Better for us to stay in the category of "prudent" clubs like Arsenal, Everton, Villa, Bolton and Wigan, all seemingly sanely managed even if we don't necessarily like the style of football Bolton play, than do a "Leeds" or "Portsmouth".

ps

Rather childishly, this forum seems to be set up to substitute "the dark side" for the name of our near neighbours and the words before "and Manchester City" should be read in that context. Come on admin: grow up.

finnster01

Quote from: Oakeshott on January 28, 2010, 03:35:59 PM

ps

Rather childishly, this forum seems to be set up to substitute "the dark side" for the name of our near neighbours and the words before "and Manchester City" should be read in that context. Come on admin: grow up.
I agree Mr Oakshott, it should be a lot worse than the dark side
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

wadey

i work with a pompey s/t holder and i can tell you that over the last couple of months i have witnessed this guy from being a real good laugh become an absolute jibbering wreck, so much so that i have gone from winding him up to feel really sorry for him...its always the fans that have to suffer...so lets just thank god for MAF...and count our blessings

LBNo11

...I too have a very good friend who is a Pompey fan, same generation as me and he has been a ST holder up until this year. I do feel sympathy with him as he has always counted Fulham as his second team and was very supportive of us when we were a gnats whisker from relegation (plus he thinks Mr Portsmouth FC is a complete fool), and he 'had words' with the Pompey fan who threw that snooker ball at Craven Cottage a few years ago. Apart from a few nuggets, they do have some decent fans who I have met and they 'understand' heritage etc.,

As wadey makes the point, it could have so easily been us, so there but for the grace of your chosen deity go we...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

wadey

yes LB, this guy at work ventured over to the far east a couple of years back when we were in that tournament alongside pompey, he said he had a great time and laugh with the ffc fans that were also out there and even bought me back a programme,...mind you he will tell you himself that if "arry" was crossing the road my mate would gladly do a "hit and run"...and he hasnt got a violent bone in his body

White Noise

I have a good friend who is a Palace fan and, whatever you think of Colin and Tango Man, that is not a nice thing to have happen to your club.

This sort of thing really throws a pall of depression over peoples lives.

Lets hope both sets of fans see better times ahead in the not too distant future.

LRCN

ask him wadey, was the FA Cup worth it... genuinely interested, it's a tough question

ps who are we signing on loan.

wadey

lorkster i dont have to ask him, just seeing him after they won it he was 10 feet tall mate......its whats happened since arry left thats done the damage.............................ps.it could all be announced tomorrow 

os5889

As a Warsash lad, I have no sympathy for the players or the club. Its a business and just because you've got a superstar manager you should keep a handle on him and stop him giving superstar wages to average Joes.

The fans I must admit are passionate and no fan deserving of what these people running these clubs put them through.

However, the stick we got when Sanchez was our boss does make me inwardly smile at how the tables turn quickly.

We are the tortoise! They are the hare!

HatterDon

Let's see, crippling economic problems at Portsmouth. A couple of seasons ago, there were crippling economic problems at Southampton. Before that, crippling economic problems at Brighton and Hove Albion? Who would be the free spenders at those clubs that got the franchises so screwed up and then buggered off for a better job? I wonder.

Spuds fans ... you're next!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Admin

Quote from: HatterDon on January 28, 2010, 10:51:20 PM
Let's see, crippling economic problems at Portsmouth. A couple of seasons ago, there were crippling economic problems at Southampton. Before that, crippling economic problems at Brighton and Hove Albion? Who would be the free spenders at those clubs that got the franchises so screwed up and then buggered off for a better job? I wonder.

Bournemouth HD, Bournemouth. Is their something you're trying to tell us about the Brighton connection here?  :P

RidgeRider

Quote from: Lork on January 28, 2010, 09:45:16 PM
ask him wadey, was the FA Cup worth it... genuinely interested, it's a tough question

ps who are we signing on loan.

Lorky, I think that would be a bit cruel at this point...though the answer would be interesting.

HatterDon

Quote from: Admin on January 28, 2010, 10:55:21 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on January 28, 2010, 10:51:20 PM

Bournemouth HD, Bournemouth. Is their something you're trying to tell us about the Brighton connection here?  :P

Nope; just a mega brain fart. Didn't realize os had a thread out there that made this point more accurately. I just popped back to delete the post, then decided to ADD to it in an effort to get my other ball back.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

People seem to forget the amount of damage Pompey  used to cause when they played us in the past. I've nothing personal againts Football hooligans, but for the niave amongst you who had a great day out and met some great fans on the great escape day, if you had walked down the wrong road you could have got a right kicking. Hope they survive, but not really fussed either way.