News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why aren't we working with AFC Wimbledon.....

Started by DiegoFulham, November 08, 2012, 05:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiegoFulham

to develop young players at our football club? I noticed during taking my dog out for a 5:30 am walk that the Fulham youth academy and the AFC Wimbledon training ground were right next to each other... i don't understand why we haven't sorted an agreement to AFC Wimbledon about the possibility of loaning younger and better players out to them.... it would work well both ways, we'd let some of the younger players gain experience from playing first team football and they would gain a top youth player which could help them for future situations... the best bit about this idea is that it's local and we can also check up on the players development... i would understand if the club didn't want to due to if they were playing non league but due to them playing in football league, i think it would be amazing for both parties... Thoughts about the idea?   :dft009: :dft009:
@DiegoFulham follow for a follow back

SouthfieldWhite

Afc wimbledons training ground is Kings College sports ground, Fulhams is Motspur park where I believe the academy trains most of the time. Fulham do use the LSE sports ground which is next to Afc wimbledons training ground for the u15s down tithe younger ones, but I do understand what you are saying, they are right on our doorstep but that also makes them a rival in recruiting the best local talent, but saying all that there is no reason why we couldn't let a youngster in the u21 squad go out on loan. I did some of my coaching badges with Simon Bassey who is first team coach and who was in temporary charge of the first team before they brought in Neil Ardley, he's a good lad and at Afc they don't have loads of money for signings spare trying to bring the younger ones through

elgreenio

Our very own Pat Roberts was nabbed from AFC Wimbledon. Our scouts peeking in on the neighbours doing a good job

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
touch my camera through the fence

Rhys Lightning 63

I have always wondered this. I don't want to be one of those 'football manager' guys, but one of the first things I do when I take charge, is set up a partnership with another club.

The whole idea of loan spells for youngsters (I know because I've spoken to pro's who've had it done to them) is getting them to play MENS football. Instead of going against players who are 16/17, they gotta go up against 29/30 year olds, more physical, faster, more knowledge of the game etc, to see how they fair.

AFC Wimbledon as you said are the PERFECT club for this, heck if we gave them some money, they might even let us use their ground for reserve and academy matches (I'm sure they'd be thankful for that).

Come on Fulham, MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

DiegoFulham

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on November 08, 2012, 08:03:39 PM
I have always wondered this. I don't want to be one of those 'football manager' guys, but one of the first things I do when I take charge, is set up a partnership with another club.

The whole idea of loan spells for youngsters (I know because I've spoken to pro's who've had it done to them) is getting them to play MENS football. Instead of going against players who are 16/17, they gotta go up against 29/30 year olds, more physical, faster, more knowledge of the game etc, to see how they fair.

AFC Wimbledon as you said are the PERFECT club for this, heck if we gave them some money, they might even let us use their ground for reserve and academy matches (I'm sure they'd be thankful for that).

I actually agree, didn't Chelsea do it a few years ago with Brentford? and we've got quite a good youth academy, you're talking about some of our youth drawing with Barcelona in Barcelona... could do wonders for their (AFC Wimbledon's) development up the football league and 100% agree it might not be Championship even league one but league 2 is one of the most competitive leagues in the world, seeing bigger clubs like Plymouth, Bradford and others have been unable to get back to league 1...     

zzamora

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on November 08, 2012, 08:03:39 PM

It's not quite as easy as it sounds.

LRCN

its not quite that simple though. you cant arbitraily pick a club and it will be the ebst thing for our youngsters. afc, for example, are in dire form right now playing dire football with little prospect for success. which clearly isnt the best environment to develop talent.

clanky

A clever idea and see no reason why this should not happen as both clubs benefit at minimal cost.

AFc are going to end up in the #betsquare premier if they are not careful.

Our players can keep them up and get some first team match experience.

Can'r see any downside !

COYW

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: LRCN on November 08, 2012, 08:26:32 PM
its not quite that simple though. you cant arbitraily pick a club and it will be the ebst thing for our youngsters. afc, for example, are in dire form right now playing dire football with little prospect for success. which clearly isnt the best environment to develop talent.

You say that, but how do you know they aren't a Ronnie Minkwitz away from staying away from relegation

DiegoFulham

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on November 08, 2012, 09:37:09 PM

You say that, but how do you know they aren't a Ronnie Minkwitz away from staying away from relegation

Never seen Ronnie play but guessing he's amazing... what position does he play?

Rupert

The thing with young players is that they need to develop good habits at a young age, the right mentality, the right way of playing.

I do not know what the set up at AFC Wimbledon is, but if we are not loaning young players out to them, there must be a good reason. It may be as simple as the style of football they play. The Fulham academy teach youngsters to play to the same general style as the senior team, if Wimbledon are perhaps more direct, our lads might not fit in.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: DiegoFulham on November 09, 2012, 12:11:07 AM
Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on November 08, 2012, 09:37:09 PM

Never seen Ronnie play but guessing he's amazing... what position does he play?

CM, but I'm just generalising. They might actually need an Alex Brister, Jack Grimmer or a Lyle Della Verde

west kowloon white

Playing for AFC Wimbledon might be a retrograde step in the younger players development and almost certainly a poor financial deal for the club.