https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (10/11/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 10, 2012, 04:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Premier League: Arsenal v Fulham match preview
A look ahead to this weekend's Premier League fixture at The Emirates

Fulham can leapfrog Arsenal and establish themselves as European hopefuls when the teams meet at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

Fulham are on a four-game unbeaten run, having defeated Aston Villa and played out draws with Everton, Reading and Southampton.

The Craven Cottage club, who are eighth in the table with 15 points, trail seventh-placed Arsenal on goal difference. Arsenal can ill afford to lose, having taken just two wins from their past six games in all competitions.

Arsene Wenger's men come off the back of defeats to Manchester United and Norwich in the league and were held to a 2-2 draw at Schalke in the Champions League on Wednesday after being beaten by the German side a fortnight ago.

KICK-OFF: Saturday, 3pm

PAST THREE MEETINGS...

Fulham 2 (Sidwell, Zamora) Arsenal 1 (Koscielny), Premier League, January 2012

Arsenal 1 (Vermaelan) Fulham 1 (Vermaelan), Premier League, November 2011

Fulham 2 (Sidwell, Zamora) Arsenal 2 (van Persie, Walcott), Premier League, May 2011

STATS...

Arsenal have made their worst ever start to a Premier League season under Arsene Wenger this year, picking up just 15 points from their first 10 games and losing three of their last five Premier League outings.

Fulham have never beaten Arsenal away from home, with Arsenal winning 22 times in addition to four draws.

Arsenal have conceded eight league goals this season – the fewest in the top flight.

CLASSIC MATCH...

Before Fulham's return to the top division under the stewardship of Jean Tigana in 2001, the last time the two sides met in the league was way back in October 1967 as the Gunners ran out 5-3 winners.

ODDS...

Arsenal to win: 1.53

Fulham to win: 6.25

Draw: 4.00

TV: Highlights on BBC1 at 10.50pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-arsenal-v-fulham-match-preview-8301067.html

WhiteJC

Arsenal v Fulham: Squad sheets

Arsenal have found Fulham awkward customers to deal with over the last couple of seasons. Indeed, it is almost two years since the Gunners were victorious against their neighbours on the other side of the capital, with the Cottagers unbeaten in their last three Premier League fixtures against Arsène Wenger's side. "There's no pressure on us, it's all on Arsenal," said Fulham's Chris Baird. "We can go there, try and play our football and see what happens." Martin Jol will be hoping Kieran Richardson shakes off a bout of illness in time to feature. John Ashdown

Venue Emirates Stadium, Saturday 3pm

Tickets Sold out

Last season Arsenal 1 Fulham 1

Referee Andre Marriner

This season's matches 6 Y22, R0, 3.67 cards per game

Odds Arsenal 8-15 Fulham 5-1 Draw 3-1

Arsenal v Fulham: Probable staerters in bold, contenders in light.
Illustration: Graphic

Arsenal

Subs from Martínez, Szczesny, Coquelin, Chamberlain, Squillaci, Sagna, Chamakh, Gnabry, Arshavin, Frimpong, André Santos

Doubtful Chamberlain (hip), Ramsey (groin), Szczesny (ankle)

Injured Gibbs (thigh, 17 Nov), Diaby (thigh, 17 Nov), Rosicky (hamstring, 17 Nov), Gervinho (ankle, 24 Nov), Fabianski (ankle, Jan)

Suspended Wilshere (one match)

Form guide LWLWLD

Disciplinary record Y10 R1

Leading scorers Cazorla, Gervinho 3

Fulham

Subs from Stockdale, Senderos, Diarra, Kelly, Petric, Ruiz, Karagounis, Dejagah, Kasami, Kacaniklic, Na Bangna, Trotta

Doubtful Diarra (knee), Richardson (illness)

Injured Davies (hip, Jan)

Suspended None

Form guide DDWDLW

Disciplinary record Y9 R0

Leading scorers Berbatov, Duff, Petric, Sidwell 3

Match pointers

• Last season's 2-1 win at Craven Cottage was Martin Jol's first win over Arsenal as a manager from nine attempts

• 15 points from 10 games represents Arsenal's worst start to a Premier League season under Arsène Wenger

• Fulham have never won away at Arsenal in any competition, losing 22 and drawing four of their 26 visits

• Arsenal are one of two sides yet to score a headed Premier League goal this season, along with Sunderland

• Fulham have hit the target with a higher percentage of shots (57%) than any other side so far this season

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/09/arsenal-fulham-squad-sheets?

WhiteJC

Jol`s Staying!

Speculation, not that long ago, inferred that Fulham and Martin Jol might be parting company come the end of the season.

This was based on the assumption that Martin`s good work with us would lead to offers from bigger clubs coming in.

However, that prospect looks to be extremely remote after it was announced that Fulham have exercised an option, in Martin`s contract, that will extend his stay.

The option, exercised seven months earlier than his contract expiry date of June 2013, has prompted Martin to comment,

"There is no discussion about a contract because Fulham have an option."

"And an option is an option, what can you do - they took it. I`m happy to be here next season."

And the way things are going, on the pitch, we`re happy to have you stay.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=299388#ixzz2Bn7BjAqw

WhiteJC

Fulham boss rubbishes Vainqueur reports

MARTIN Jol has quashed speculation linking Fulham with a move for Standard Liege midfielder William Vainqueur.

The Whites boss is reportedly linking up a £2.5million January raid for the Frenchman, who only signed a five-year deal with the Belgians last season.

Vainqueur's agent Nico Vaesen claims that Fulham are keeping tabs on his client.

But Jol has rubbished reports linking him with a move for the former Nantes youngster.

He said: "I saw the name in the paper but that's the first time. I googled him after that."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/11/09/82029-32201979/?#ixzz2Bn7Wi39c

WhiteJC

Sunderland Sold Out

All tickets for Fulham v Sunderland on Sunday 18th November (kick-off 4pm) are now SOLD OUT.

Supporters yet to purchase their tickets are advised to check other options. A range of Hospitality Packages are still available, including the Riverside Restaurant and Chairman's Club.

Shared Executive Suites are also on sale from £115 (+VAT) per person. Find out more here.

So far all but one of our home games this season have been sold out, so be sure to secure your tickets for our upcoming matches which are on sale now.

Fulham v Tottenham - Saturday 1st December (3pm)

Fulham v Newcastle - Monday 10th December (8pm)

Fulham v Southampton - Wednesday 26th December (3pm)

Fulham v Swansea - Saturday 29th December (3pm)

Our January home fixtures against Wigan and West Ham go on sale to Season Ticket Holders on Thursday 15th November and are available for Members to buy on Tuesday 20th November.

Remaining tickets for both fixtures will go on General Sale from Thursday 22nd November.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/09/sunderland-sold-out?

WhiteJC

Arsenal vs Fulham: I fear for another Arsenal defeat

Previously, I used to wait in anticipation for the weekend and another Arsenal victory to savor especially if we are playing at the Emirates. Nowadays, each time Arsenal take the field, I dread to thinking about the players giving us another insipid display resulting in another Arsenal defeat once the match is over.

It has been going on like that for the past four to five games and it is really getting to me. How can the team play so well in the beginning of the season suddenly become so bad. I am really hoping that the old saying " form is temporary, class is permanent" holds true and the rather good display on Tuesday against Schalke has banished this poor spell from the team until the next season at least. Our form has to change otherwise it is going to be another defeat tomorrow against Fulham.

The problem is the team now is we don't know what who will turn up to play. During the era of the Invincibles', we know that we are getting good free flowing football with precision passing and a gung ho offensive attitude. Even if the team lost, their attitude and style of play does not change. Now, we can be brilliant for one half and totally rubbish in the other. Or, the players may just choose not to turn up to play and in the end deliver a performance like the one that Old Trafford. In today's Premiership, anything less than our "A" is going to be a problem even against the less of so called lesser opponents. Moreover, with a London derby everything is going to be much harder against the opponent.

Fulham is pretty good this year and is level with the Gunners on points in the Premiership. We have a good record against the Cottagers but this might not continue should the players not play with confidence.

http://thearsenalkid.info/game-preview/arsenal-vs-fulham-i-fear-for-another-arsenal-defeat/?

WhiteJC

Fulham scare for faltering Arsenal

Fulham can leapfrog Arsenal and establish themselves as European hopefuls when the teams meet at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

The Craven Cottage club, who are eighth on the English Premier League table with 15 points, trail seventh-placed Arsenal on goal difference.

Further up, only two points separate Fulham and Everton, who are fourth on the back of their impressive start to the campaign.

Fulham have not featured in European competition since the Europa League last season, when they qualified by virtue of the Fair Play league.

The south London side are unbeaten in their past four matches, having defeated Aston Villa and played out draws with Everton, Reading and Southampton.

Fulham, however, have never beaten Arsenal away from home, with Arsenal winning 22 times in addition to four draws.

Arsenal can ill afford to lose, having taken just two wins from their past six games in all competitions.

Arsene Wenger's men, who were held to a 2-2 draw at Schalke in the Champions League on Wednesday, play host to Fulham, Tottenham and Montpellier in successive weeks.

"It is going to be a tough month for us now," midfielder Theo Walcott said. "It is going to test us all, not just physically but mentally as well, and I think we are ready for it."

Walcott scored the opening goal against Schalke and was a shining light up front alongside Lucas Podolski and Olivier Giroud.

"He did well, very well," Wenger said. "He had a positive attitude and he was the only one you always felt could make a difference."

http://www.punchng.com/sports/fulham-scare-for-faltering-arsenal/?

WhiteJC

Backing Fulham to get a point at Arsenal

Arsenal are without the suspended Jack Wilshere, while Gervinho, Kieran Gibbs, and Abou Diaby are all still injured – Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wojciech Szczcesny, and Aaron Ramsey are all possibles rather than probables.

Fulham's only new injury concern is over Mahamadou Diarra, who is recovering from a knee injury.

This has the feeling of a coupon buster, so stay well clear if you're thinking of adding it to your accumulator.

Fulham are considered a soft touch away from home, and that's maybe a but unfair – they're unbeaten in their last three games away from Craven Cottage and have picked up 5 points from those fixtures. Yes, Arsenal are a different proposition to Southampton, Wigan, or Reading, but Martin Jol's side are pretty resilient and will make life extremely difficult for Arsenal tomorrow – look what QPR were able to do with a far more fragile system.

Arsenal struggle at home, and that's primarily because there's still not quite enough fluidity to the way they go forward and the players they have in those positions still haven't quite developed the level of understanding needed to hurt their opposition. As an example, as fantastic a player as Santi Cazorla is, he's not yet able to predict the movement around him – it will come eventually, but it's not there yet.

This is a frustrate and disrupt mission for Fulham, and if they can quieten the home crowd and get Dimitar Berbatov on the ball in advanced positions, then they can definitely do something at the Emirates. The key tomorrow for Jol's side is discipline, and doing nothing to give Arsenal a start in this game – the longer parity is retained, the more agitated the supporters will get and the more the anxiety will creep onto the pitch. Cliched, but true.

Fulham have a chance tomorrow, they've got the players to lock up the game and frustrate Arsenal – keep your money away from this one.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/backing-fulham-to-get-a-point-at-arsenal/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=backing-fulham-to-get-a-point-at-arsenal

WhiteJC

"I LEFT MANCHESTER UNITED WITH MY HEAD HELD VERY HIGH"

Former United striker Dimitar Berbatov has spoken of his time at Old Trafford and revealed he believes he gave his all in his 149 game career with the Reds.

Speaking to the Sun the Bulgarian noted:
"I left Manchester United with my head held very high.

"I gave 100 per cent and no one could doubt my performances, especially when you compare how many minutes I actually played.

"I was the Premier League's top goalscorer in 2010-11 and never wanted to be on the bench.

"Perhaps I needed to play more but I always accepted the manager's orders. I never considered myself to be a star — only a forward working for the team."

Berbatov divided opinion among United fans, with many believing his languid style to be simply too laid back for a team that often favoured fast-paced football, while some commenting how his ability on the ball brought a new dimension to the side.

Whether you're a Berba-lover or hater, there's no denying the striker at least gave us some memorable moments in a spell that saw him net 57 goals, most notably a hat-trick against a Liverpool side who'd somehow managed to almost sneak away from Old Trafford with an undeserved draw.

Regardless of whether you're a Berbatov fan or not, two titles in four years is hardly a bad return for a player that also managed to top the Premier League goal scoring charts in his penultimate season.

My own view of Berbatov is he was a gamble worth taking, as though he may not have quite lived up to expectation the titles he helped deliver and the skills he treated us to were a joy to behold – and unlike a certain Argentinean, the lure of money, or the frustration of sitting on the bench weren't a problem for Dimitar.

Read the full article here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4636788/Dimitar-Berbatov-I-gave-my-all-for-Manchester-United.html#ixzz2BlzRyH3c

http://redflagflyinghigh.com/2012/11/lets-hear-it-for-the-boy/i-left-manchester-united-with-my-head-held-very-high?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Arsenal v Fulham

Much has been written about how Arsenal have lost their way in recent weeks but they have not suddenly become a bad side. They let a 2-0 lead slip against Schalke in the Champions League on Tuesday night but a draw was still a decent result.

The Gunners' problem is what they are like on a bad day, which they undoubtedly had in last weekend's defeat at Old Trafford.

They looked rudderless against Manchester United, with nobody to really grab hold of the team and make them play.

There is a lot of pressure on Jack Wilshere to do that job even though he has barely played for 17 months. Wilshere is being seen as a saviour for the Gunners and for England when, if anything, he needs nursing back into games.

Arsenal cannot rely on him against Fulham because he is suspended after his red card against United.

I don't think it will matter, though. United were good enough to capitalise on Arsenal's weaknesses but, especially away from home, I don't think the Cottagers will be.

Fulham are level on points with Arsenal but their home form is the main reason for that. Martin Jol is a very good manager but he cannot quite get the balance of his side right when they are away. Consequently, they always seem to be under pressure.

Jol has put together a team containing plenty of good seasoned professionals and a couple of outstanding players. They are eighth at the moment and in good shape for a top 10 finish, which would be a marvellous achievement.

Signing Dimitar Berbatov was undoubtedly a masterstroke by Jol, especially when you consider he could have gone to Juventus or Fiorentina instead.

But, even with Berbatov in the sort of form he is in, I cannot see past an Arsenal win here.

They are going through a spell where people are starting to question Arsene Wenger again but I think they will respond by starting to pick up some points.

Prediction: 2-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20228221