watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Formation change. 3-5-2

Started by Count Berbatov, November 13, 2012, 06:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count Berbatov

I came across a nice article where 3-5-2 could be the answer to the difficulties in defense Fulham has experienced this season

I have seen this in action. Wigan plays it, even Man United played an away game once or twice, when we're short on defenders. It closes the midfield and could easily turn into a 5 in the back. Now the problem for me could be that in 3 in the back, playing off side trap is risky
Advantage? Keeping 2 upfront. 2 great wingmen to push forward.
A bit scared to have to try this in a PL match, but if there was a league cup game or something

Thoughts?
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Mladens Nan

Who would make up the 3 at the back? More central players would be needed really... Riise wouldn't fit into it too well...

Count Berbatov

Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

TonyGilroy

Too big a change I'd guess but it would enable Senderos to play with Hughes and Hangeland at the back and would help us defend corners and crosses.

With wing backs though we'd find it harder to cut out those crosses.

I think we'll get by as we are until January.

Herbie

Why does having three at the back make playing offside risky? If anything it makes it less prone to mistake as there are fewer players to move up.

itombomb

Just like we didn't have the central midfielders to play 4-3-3 we don't have them to play 4-5-2 either.

Riise or even Duff could do a job as the left wing-back but we don't really have someone to cover the right wing-back position.

ffcbulgaria

I dont think we can fit our best players in a 3-5-2.

Wing backs? Riise & Riether but where do our wingers go then? What happens to Dejagah/Duff/Kacaniklic?

TonyGilroy

Quote from: itombomb on November 13, 2012, 06:59:22 PM
Just like we didn't have the central midfielders to play 4-3-3 we don't have them to play 4-5-2 either.

Riise or even Duff could do a job as the left wing-back but we don't really have someone to cover the right wing-back position.

4-5-2 is not a system often used away from the playground.

alexbishop

Article is here btw http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/227?cc=5739

Most of you should be familiar with Phil Misons writing. Top FFC blogger.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Count Berbatov

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 13, 2012, 06:34:36 PM
Too big a change I'd guess but it would enable Senderos to play with Hughes and Hangeland at the back and would help us defend corners and crosses.

With wing backs though we'd find it harder to cut out those crosses.

I think we'll get by as we are until January.

Surely Jol must take measures. Although no desperate. So far the system proves to be successful and he said it himself. Don't change it if it's working. That said, there's two ways out of the defensive troubles. Everyone puts a shift, improves form. Or change of personnel, which there isn't many options right now. So shuffle the players, try rearrange them.
Again, wish there was a cup game coming

CH FFC

Riether played midfield in the past.
I feel that Riise is more adept at true wing back position, because of his attacking style of play.  Riether could adjust easily, so the big difference would be that the too outside backs would push up more, and we would add Senderos to the back line.  The biggest difficulty I would see is less in CM to handle the middle of the park.  Which I feel is one place we are weak.  
I do not feel that this will help us defensively, because it will weaken our midfield.

Another option would be to have 3 CB, a DM, 2 CM, 2 wingers, AM, and striker.  I think this would open us up too much for crosses.

Count Berbatov

Quote from: Herbie on November 13, 2012, 06:59:16 PM
Why does having three at the back make playing offside risky? If anything it makes it less prone to mistake as there are fewer players to move up.

Who's in charge of it. The back 3

A Humble Man

:011: :011: :020: :clap_hands: 077.gif 077.gifI would not mind the diamond formation with Baird or Sidwell in front of the back four and Ruiz behind Berby and Roddy or Petricy.  And who ever is in favour on the wings.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

Count Berbatov

Quote from: A Humble Man on November 13, 2012, 07:12:20 PM
:011: :011: :020: :clap_hands: 077.gif 077.gifI would not mind the diamond formation with Baird or Sidwell in front of the back four and Ruiz behind Berby and Roddy or Petricy.  And who ever is in favour on the wings.
Good call.

The closest to utilizing what's available

leonffc

I like 4231 which is what (I believe) we play. The '2' pivot players should protect the defence as well as supporting the attacking '3'.
As far as I know the wide men drop in to a 4411 formation when we don't have the ball.
As far as I can see, the goals we have conceded of late is just bad positioning by the defending players, mainly Hughes or Hangeland being the guilty parties. And possibly our full full backs are getting sucked out due to the wide men not covering well enough??

alexbishop

I hate the diamond....worst formation IMO
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

CH FFC

another option if you're trying to bring in Senderos.

Hughes  Brede    Senderos
   Riether                                                   Riise

Baird/Sidwell/Diarra                                    
  Duff/Dejagah                Ruiz                    Kaca/Richardson

Berba

I guess a 3-2-4-1

Count Berbatov

Yes. 4-2-3-1 at Arsenal was quite successful
The two central defenders were at most fault. Don't know what's going on there. It can't be just the going forward thing Brede was talking about. If you watch and track just their movement, they simply get caught ball watching too often, don't anticipate and generally don't move enough with purpose

NogoodBoyo

I agree wholeheartedly with the Bulgar count.  Nearly all of the goals scored against haven't come from fast free-flowing counter-attacks.  They've come from poor marking from corners, free-kicks and a distinct lack of resolution in the middle when balls have come in from wide area or, in the case of Fellaini's second, poor marking from Route 1.  As much as I love him, Hangers is wrong in blaming the more open system.  He and Hughes are not looking as strong or determined as afore.
Nogood "help needed, isit' Boyo