News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Looks like Petric will start as #9 and Berbs as #10.....

Started by FFCfan, November 17, 2012, 02:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCfan

It worked against Wigan, not against Everton. What are your thoughts against Sunderland? Are Petric and Berbs going to click ?

fulhamben

Quote from: FFCfan on November 17, 2012, 02:43:39 PM
It worked against Wigan, not against Everton. What are your thoughts against Sunderland? Are Petric and Berbs going to click ?
not as well as ruiz and berbs. makes little sense this unless jol has no faith in the greek or kasami.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Zu-Meister

it would work if he swapped them round with petric the deeper player, and berbatov up top, but as ben says, its a risk playing ruiz in CM. better keep what worked in the last game and do a straight swap.

FFCfan

Quote from: fulhamben on November 17, 2012, 02:56:16 PM
Quote from: FFCfan on November 17, 2012, 02:43:39 PM
not as well as ruiz and berbs. makes little sense this unless jol has no faith in the greek or kasami.

I feel the same. His pre-match interview though was kind of hinting about berba playing as #10 and Petric up front. I think we should play the same formation we did against arsenal and give Kasami a chance !!!

Lighthouse

I would always play Rodders ahead of Petric alongside Berbatov. If Ruiz is playing than the slow pace of Petric and Berbatov  is not going to be that great for our speed.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WolverineFFC

You are playing at home against the team with the least goals in the BPL. Might as well go for it since they are likely to play for the point.

I like the idea of Petric as a #9 with both Ruiz and Berba floating around in behind him and in front of Sidwell. Then Kaca and Dejagah (or Duff) running up and down your wings.

Mark
Riether           Hughes        Brede          JAR
                               Sidwell
Deja                                                  Kaca
                       Ruiz             Berba
                                Petric 

MJG

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 17, 2012, 03:50:23 PM
I would always play Rodders ahead of Petric alongside Berbatov. If Ruiz is playing than the slow pace of Petric and Berbatov  is not going to be that great for our speed.
I do agree 100% with that and if they do play, I fully hope to have egg on my face as we win 4-0 with all three scoring breakaway goals.

JackyFulham90

Quote from: WolverineFFC on November 17, 2012, 04:55:34 PM
You are playing at home against the team with the least goals in the BPL. Might as well go for it since they are likely to play for the point.

I like the idea of Petric as a #9 with both Ruiz and Berba floating around in behind him and in front of Sidwell. Then Kaca and Dejagah (or Duff) running up and down your wings.

Mark
Riether           Hughes        Brede          JAR
                               Sidwell
Deja                                                  Kaca
                       Ruiz             Berba
                                Petric

That's exactly how the team will look in a 4-3-3

ScalleysDad

Tricky one is'nt it as no one wants to criticise the carpet slippers approach to our game these days ....... but. Everton had two thirds of possession and closed us down everytime we crossed into their half. We should'nt expect Berbs and Ruiz to chase evrything down but the only time 'Jags' and co came under any pressure was when Petric chased balls down and closed down the huge amount of time the back four had previosly had on the ball. There is the debate that Petric playing as an out and out No.9 will allow Berbs and Ruiz to flourish behind him and have an outlet and possibly make something of the free kicks he might gain. However will that create a softer midfield. I'm not sure Rodders is an option anywhere at the moment.

ffc73

Agree with ScalleysDad that the Everton back line were under no pressure until Petric came on.

I would like to see Petric start tomorrow in the formation proposed by WolverineFFC as I think that both Berba and Ruiz have already shown that they can forage and work in the mid-field for the team.  Key would be Sidwell remaining disciplined in a more defensive role otherwise.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: ScalleysDad on November 17, 2012, 05:57:34 PM
Tricky one is'nt it as no one wants to criticise the carpet slippers approach to our game these days ....... but. Everton had two thirds of possession and closed us down everytime we crossed into their half. We should'nt expect Berbs and Ruiz to chase evrything down but the only time 'Jags' and co came under any pressure was when Petric chased balls down and closed down the huge amount of time the back four had previosly had on the ball. There is the debate that Petric playing as an out and out No.9 will allow Berbs and Ruiz to flourish behind him and have an outlet and possibly make something of the free kicks he might gain. However will that create a softer midfield. I'm not sure Rodders is an option anywhere at the moment.

Def agree w the softer midfield, but think you have to sacrifice something with Diarra out. If you play Karagounis, et al you sacrifice possession and offense. You end up with matches like Everton where Berba and Ruiz were essentially possessed out of the game.

On the other hand with Petric, Ruiz, Berba all playing you certainly risk giving up goals esp with how the backline have looked lately.

For tomorrow I prefer the latter scenario with the option of going with a more standard 4-4-1-1 if the attacking style doesn't seem to be working.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: FFC73 on November 17, 2012, 06:21:03 PM
Agree with ScalleysDad that the Everton back line were under no pressure until Petric came on.

I would like to see Petric start tomorrow in the formation proposed by WolverineFFC as I think that both Berba and Ruiz have already shown that they can forage and work in the mid-field for the team.  Key would be Sidwell remaining disciplined in a more defensive role otherwise.

Sidwell remaining disciplined full stop. He is a red card waiting to happen and in a partnership he has some support and the load is shared out. On his own, isolated or under seige he can be reckless which imho is why he won't get the armband. I'd pick him a four anyday but in a three that has to compensate for three luxuries ahead of them .............. not so sure. I don't want to hijack the point being made but with the recent form, or is stability, of Hangaland and Hughes I would prefer a standard 4.4.2 with a two solid middle of the midfield type players. Lets see what Jol does with this happy conumdrum.

CanadianCottager

I like Petric but I Ruiz-Berba is our best strike partnership and even though Bryan has got a lot better defensively since arriving here I'm not 100% sure about sticking him in the centre-midfield, it requires the kind of positional discipline that hampers his ability to drift and cause havoc. We signed a rather well-regarded international veteran on a free, lets give him a chance to make an impression, Sidwell-Kara in the midfield should do just fine.

FFCfan

Well looks like it's gonna be make it or brake it for Ruiz if he starts as CM !! Off to work now!