News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thoughts on the game and look towards Stoke away.

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, November 19, 2012, 12:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

I think I'll start off with the red card decision. I don't believe we can argue with the decision that was made, although arguably harsh, I can see why some referees would give it. My only complaint about this decision was the horrendous pass from Giorgios Karagounis that actually made me feel quite it, he mishit it completely only for Lee Cattermole to threaten to win back possession and it was Brede Hangeland's snap judgement and instincts to try and win the ball back for his side. We all know Brede, and we all know he's not a malicious player like Lee Cattermole, it was a dodgy challenge and one he has accepted and we must now visit Stoke, Chelsea and host Spurs without him.

Although we went down to ten men, we generally controlled the game. We had a lot of the ball and showed more confidence in possession if that's the right phrase, than Martin O'Neills side. Speaking of the Sunderland manager, it's common knowledge that Martin O'Neill likes to set his sides up to counter with width, shown at his time at Aston Villa where he could counter attack with Ashley Young and Stewart Downing, also including the pace of players like Gabriel Agbonlahor. The second half started and you can see this was what he was trying to do, all of their goals either came from or were subsequent to counter attacks, and when you have players of the ilk of Stephane Sessegnon and Adam Johnson, whilst missing our best central defender, they were always going to cause us problems. We had to go and look for a winner which left us with gaps at the back that Steven Fletcher pounced on, Adam Johnson's shot via a break lead to the corner and quite frankly a superb strike from Sess showed the class he does possess.

Never mind the above paragraph because the main problem with this game is who we lose for Stoke away. With Hangeland suspended, Kacaniklic, Ruiz and Richardson injured our squad is looking rather depleted for the next few weeks and arguably our toughest period of the season. This not ideal situation will show the true strength in character our squad possesses and with captain Dimitar rallying the troops, I really hope we can bounce back as I felt they were three points we really needed.

Our line up for Stoke away (theoritically could be):

Schwarzer
Reither Hughes Senderos/Baird Riise
Dejagah/Duff Sidwell/Baird Diarra Rodallega
Berbatov Petric

Although I wouldn't mind seeing a 433 set up:

Schwarzer
Reither Hughes Senderos Riise
Sidwell Diarra Baird
Dejagah Berbatov Rodallega

We could really do with Kerim Frei back but I'm not sure whether we have a release clause because it's a short deal until December. Saying that, I wouldn't mind Matthew Briggs being back and playing on the wing to be perfectly honest.

craig10

Would like to see

Schwarzer
Riether          senderos    Hughes              Riise

Karagounis   Diarra

Dejagah/Duff/Rodders                     Dejagah/Duff/Rodders
                      Berbatov         Petric

JBH

I would play:

Schwarzer

Reither             Hughes        Senderos         Riise

Dejagah     Diarra/Sidwell   Baird      Duff

Berbatov         Petric

MJG

I have said once and i'll say it again.....Duff should not be considerd for the left wing. He does not play there anymore and prefers the right
I know needs must and all that, but he can't get past a man down that side.

JBH

Quote from: MJG on November 19, 2012, 12:52:21 PM
I have said once and i'll say it again.....Duff should not be considerd for the left wing. He does not play there anymore and prefers the right

Agree but Frie is still on loan so unless we recall him who else can we put on the left??

craig10

I really want to see Karagounis in there with Diarra. I think on Saturday before being taken off Karagounis was looking class (sorry, except the dodgy back pass to Hangers) with absolutely everything starting with him

shnlwswlkr

Karagounis looked terrible, when he was given the ball I don't think he took more than 2 steps with it before he passed it backwards mostly and when he did try and do something he lost it and granted he tried to recover posession, but I don't think he was successful once, I'm not usually one to hate on a Fulham player, but he was shocking. Fingers crossed Diarra will be back to pair Baird next week!
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

craig10

Quote from: shnlwswlkr on November 19, 2012, 01:01:43 PM
Karagounis looked terrible, when he was given the ball I don't think he took more than 2 steps with it before he passed it backwards mostly and when he did try and do something he lost it and granted he tried to recover posession, but I don't think he was successful once, I'm not usually one to hate on a Fulham player, but he was shocking. Fingers crossed Diarra will be back to pair Baird next week!

Obviously watching 2 diff games pal

shnlwswlkr

Quote from: craig10 on November 19, 2012, 01:02:23 PM

Yes, we definitely were!
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

BestOfBrede

More worryingly could be: who to play after Stoke have had a go at us!

MJG

Quote from: JBH on November 19, 2012, 12:55:50 PM

Agree but Frie is still on loan so unless we recall him who else can we put on the left??
I would try and play either Kasami (forgotten man) or against Stoke I might consider three CM's if fit and three up front.
If not I still think Jol will go with Dave as a wide midfielder to start with.

shnlwswlkr

Quote from: MJG on November 19, 2012, 01:06:08 PM

I would try and play either Kasami (forgotten man) or against Stoke I might consider three CM's if fit and three up front.

Kasami is not a forgotten man, Jol wants him to go out on loan, he's been very public with that!
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

craig10

Quote from: MJG on November 19, 2012, 01:06:08 PM

To be honest, despite my team above, I would prob go 3 up top however I feel I have to go 442 to get Petric in. I just think he deserves a chance up top to start with!

leonffc

I must say that i thought Karagounis started well. Apart from the hospital ball he laid on for Brede I think he gave one other bad pass away, other than that he kept possesion quite well.
As for 'passing it backwards, Martin O'Bore had his team set out with two tight banks of four and we were just probing for an opening. If it's not there, theres no point in forcing the ball through. Patience is key, come out and start again..

ffc73

My view (the same  as MJG) is Jol will not play Duff at left mid-field and will start Hugo there with Duff on the right.  Kasami has a decent left foot and an engine but with Smith preferred on the bench yesterday I cannot realistically see Kasami coming back into the starting X1

The only question to my mind his who he will start in a centre.  1 from Baird, Diarra or Karagounis as, my view is, Sidwell will start.  Unless his booking yesterday was his fifth.  Anyone been keeping count?

Berba as no.10 behind Petric if the latters leg gash is not going to keep him out

craig10

Quote from: leonffc on November 19, 2012, 01:19:17 PM

I must say that i thought Karagounis started well. Apart from the hospital ball he laid on for Brede I think he gave one other bad pass away, other than that he kept possesion quite well.
As for 'passing it backwards, Martin O'Bore had his team set out with two tight banks of four and we were just probing for an opening. If it's not there, theres no point in forcing the ball through. Patience is key, come out and start again..

I'm convinced he come forward with the ball more than backwards. Either running himself or spraying it out wide to either Kaca or Duff. 1 ball early on to duff In particular was class.

I'm just glad someone else thought he looked good lol

JBH

I'm convinced he come forward with the ball more than backwards. Either running himself or spraying it out wide to either Kaca or Duff. 1 ball early on to duff In particular was class.

I'm just glad someone else thought he looked good lol
[/quote]

:plus one:Thought he looked good also, shame he had to be taken off

Thamesbank

Personally I thought Karagounis looked pretty impressive apart from a couple of iffy passes (which were hardly surprising considering how little game time he had had) and was unlucky to be subbed

CH FFC

General thoughts on the game.  I felt this was just a bad day at the office, a bit of bad luck that will stick with us for a few weeks.  I did not think that Hangeland's tackle look like a red card, I felt it was very very harsh.  Jol had said that he has not seen Hangeland make that tackle before, but I have....He has lunged like that, and one the ball as he did, and never been booked.  His studs were down, and his second foot came in only after he had contacted the ball.  Anyway...I felt it was a bad call.

Now for the next few games, even though we were down to 10 men (and 9 for a few minutes of the second half).  I for one felt proud of the way they kept at it, sure they gave up three goals, but they were trying to win the game.  I also felt Rodellega had a decent game, but Petric play very well (even after being hurt).

So, for next week I would like to see us stick with the same style of play.  I feel we can still control the game, and unless we have another bad luck day....should do well with who we have available.

Schwarz
Riether   Hughes   Senderos      Riise

Diarra/Baird  Sidwell
Duff          Berbatov             Dejagah
                  Petric

Dejagah has played a number of times in every position up top.  He has the experience at the left wing position

Rudolph

That tackle he made just before the sending off was marvellous.  I reckon the lad is class and would look forward to seeing him play again.