more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (23/11/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 23, 2012, 12:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Martin Jol still disappointed by Brede Hangeland dismissal

Brade Hangeland: will sit out Fulham's next three games after his dismissal against Sunderland

Fulham manager Martin Jol admits it was too risky to appeal against Brede Hangeland's red card against Sunderland, even if he still feels the decision was "very harsh".

The Norwegian defender will miss three matches after his dismissal for a two-footed challenge on Lee Cattermole in the first half at Craven Cottage last Sunday.

But while the Cottagers felt the tackle didn't deserve to see Hangeland sent off, they would have risked extending his ban by a further match if they had tried and failed to get it overturned.

"We have not appealed the decision," Jol said. "I felt it was very harsh, but there is always a risk and I didn't want to take that risk.

"If you appeal, they can make it four games instead of three but I still think it was harsh.

"If you saw the Emmanuel Adebayor's challenge (against Arsenal), it was different and you can't compare the two challenges so I think three games is too much.

"We have to cope with it. We have to come up with different solutions.

"We don't have another Hangeland. We have Philippe Senderos and hopefully, if he is still fit, he will come in and replace him.

"Hopefully Aaron Hughes and the players we have got are strong enough because I saw them against West Ham. It is quite a challenge."

Hangeland won't be the only absentee for Fulham when they travel to Stoke on Saturday - Alex Kacaniklic, Bryan Ruiz, Kieran Richardson and Mickael Tavares are also ruled out.

Simon Davies is still not yet able to return to training, though Jol is able to call upon the services of Mahamadou Diarra and Chris Baird again.

Loan moves

Meanwhile, the Premier League club have allowed goalkeeper David Stockdale and striker Marcello Trotta to go out on loan to Hull and Brentford respectively.

"We've got a good connection with Hull," Jol said of the Stockdale deal.

"I know Steve Bruce and if something happens to Mark Schwarze I can always call him back.

"That is the agreement so there is no problem. He was desperate for games and I think he needs to play and keep his rhythm.

"Trotta had different plans. He didn't want to go to the lower leagues before so we talked to him and I think understands that it is a nice opportunity for him to get games and to play because he is a very young player."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8271918?

WhiteJC

Hull City eye permanent deal for Fulham's David Stockdale as Steve Bruce looks to end goalkeeper loans

STEVE Bruce plans to address Hull City's goalkeeping problems once and for all in the January transfer window – and will not rule out a permanent move for new loan signing David Stockdale.

Bruce completed his final transfer act of 2012 yesterday when landing Fulham keeper Stockdale on loan until January 2.

The 27-year-old is expected to make his City debut when Burnley arrive at the KC Stadium, and with it become the Tigers' seventh goalkeeper since relegation from the Premier League in 2010.

Five of the seven used by Bruce and predecessors, Nigel Pearson and Nick Barmby, have been loan signings, and the City boss accepts a long-term answer has eluded the club since Boaz Myhill's departure.

Bruce is unsure if Stockdale's loan can be turned into a permanent move, but stressed the need to solve an 'unhealthy' situation at the KC.

"It's something we'll look at because eventually we're going to need that part of our team settled, that's the aim," he said.

"I hope there's a possibility but I haven't yet had the conversation with Fulham to see if there's a chance.

"Let's get to January and see where we are, but I don't think it's a healthy situation. We need to have a little bit of continuity there, rather than all the chopping and changing this club has seen.

"It's something that we're looking at. We've been down the road of loan goalkeepers ever since Boaz Myhill left the club."

Bruce is keeping an open mind ahead of January, having made enquiries over Australian rookie Mat Ryan and Norway international Rune Jarstein.

Jarstein has made no secret of his willingness to join the Tigers from Norwegian outfit Viking and Bruce said: "He's one that we're monitoring.

"There's been a little bit of dialogue between the clubs and we've had discussions, but that's as far it's gone."

The short-term answer will see Stockdale make his debut when City face Burnley tomorrow, jumping to the head of the queue in front of Ben Amos and Eldin Jakupovic.

Stockdale, who started out at York City, has struggled to fulfil the potential that won him an England call-up in 2011 and a loan move away from Craven Cottage will see him enjoy his first competitive action since February.

Question marks will hang over the future of fellow loan goalkeeper Amos, but Bruce offered reassurance to the Manchester United man.

"Ben's one where we have to protect him now and again because he's so young. A young player will always reach a stage where they hit the buffers a little bit, it's only normal," he said.

"There's no reason why Ben can't come back from a little break all the fresher for it.

"It's not the end for Ben or Eldin, I just felt important to get a bit more experience.

"David isn't blessed with tons of experience but he's played in the Premier League and handled himself well. Let's hope he can come in and do well for us."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/story-17402087-detail/story.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham and Zenit St Petersburg make moves to sign Arshavin
Arsenal value the outcast Russian, whose contract expires at the end of the season, at around the £4-5 million mark and would prefer making a sale to another loan

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Fulham and Zenit St Petersburg have made enquiries to sign Arsenal outcast Andrey Arshavin in January, Goal.com can reveal.

Arsene Wenger is willing to listen to offers for the Russian, whose contract expires at the end of the season.
Arsenal value the 31-year-old between £4 million and £5m, and would prefer a straight sale rather than another loan in order to recover some of their £15m outlay on the wide forward during the 2009 January window.

Despite rumours of interest from Reading, Goal.com understands that the two clubs who have contacted Arsenal about Arshavin are Fulham and Zenit.

Although the former Russia captain spent his entire career at Zenit before joining Arsenal and returned to Saint Petersburg for a second spell on loan in the second half of last season, his preference is to remain in London.

Arshavin and his family are settled in the capital and would prefer to extend their time in England rather than head permanently back to Russia.

Fulham manager Martin Jol is in the market for a wide midfielder in January after losing Clint Dempsey in the last hours of the August window and is a big admirer of Arshavin.

Jol believes he could offer the enigmatic wide player the same kind of opportunity to restore his reputation that the Londoners gave Dimitar Berbatov in the summer after he had fallen down the Manchester United pecking order.

However, any deal would require some lengthy negotiation, given Fulham's strict £50,000-a-week wage ceiling.

Zenit boss Luciano Spalletti, who has guided the club to consecutive league titles, admitted in the summer that Arshavin was one of his top targets and it is understood that the big-spending Russian champions are still keen on bringing him back to his homeland.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/11/23/3548011/-?

WhiteJC

FM Preview: Stoke City v Fulham 24 Nov 2012

The game between Stoke City and Fulham in the Premier League on 24th November 2012 at 15:00 takes centre stage for FootyMad's preview analysis.

Stoke City prepare to entertain Fulham at Britannia Stadium on Saturday afternoon, and hold the advantage on previous meetings between the two. Of the 36 games played, Potters have recorded 17 wins, and Fulham have come away with 11 victories.

The most recent encounter between these two sides at Britannia Stadium was just last season, in October 2011, with Stoke City running out comfortable 2-0 winners in a Premier League match.

Recent encounters between the teams
Season   Date   Team   Result   Team   Comp
2011/2012   Sat 11 Feb   Fulham   2 - 1   Stoke City   Premier League
2011/2012   Sat 15 Oct   Stoke City   2-0   Fulham   Premier League
2010/2011   Sat 22 Jan   Fulham   2 - 0   Stoke City   Premier League
2010/2011   Tue 28 Dec   Stoke City   0 - 2   Fulham   Premier League
2010/2011   Tue 21 Sep   Stoke City   2 - 0   Fulham   League Cup
2009/2010   Wed 05 May   Fulham   0 - 1   Stoke City   Premier League
2009/2010   Tue 05 Jan   Stoke City   3 - 2   Fulham   Premier League

Recent respective form guides
Stoke City have collected 2 wins and 3 draws from their last six home matches. The goals for column just outweighs the goals against over this period, 7 to 5.

Fulham have an average recent record on the road, collecting 1 win and 3 draws from the last six played. While the Cottagers have hit 10 goals, 13 have hit the back of the wrong net.

Stoke City find themselves struggling down in 14th position in the league having picked up 13 points from their 12 matches.
Fulham's 16 points from 12 games sees them lie inside the top half of the table, in 9th position.

Current overall team form
Team   P   W   D   L   F   A   P
Stoke City   6   1   3   2   4   6   6
Fulham   6   1   4   1   12   13   7

FootyMad's prediction ...

Stoke City are performing in fits and starts at home in recent games, and FootyMad doesn't see things getting any better, as the visitors squeak past and take all the points. Away win

Sequence statistics
Team   Sequences
Stoke City   Unbeaten in the last 4 home games.

Fulham   Previous 3 away games have finished all-square.
Not won in previous 3 away matches.
No win in the 4 most recent games.

http://www.stokecity-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_stoke_city_v_fulham_24_nov_2012_769423/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Hangeland nears decision on Fulham future

Brede Hangeland

MARTIN Jol hopes Brede Hangeland will make a decision about his Fulham future by the end of the year.

The Norwegian centre-half is in the final 12 months of his deal at Craven Cottage and will be free to sign a pre-contract agreement with an overseas club in January.

Whites boss Jol is desperate to keep hold of his skipper, and remains optimistic the 31-year-old will commit himself to the club beyond the end of the season.

"We are talking to him," said the Dutchman.

"He knows what we've offered him is good so hopefully he will make a decision in the next month or so. We're optimistic."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/11/23/82029-32290805/?#ixzz2D35SOu8k

WhiteJC

Stoke City: Pulis salutes Berbatov ahead of Britannia visit

THE much-maligned Dimitar Berbatov is more silky than sulky these days.

And Stoke fans might see why some are already dubbing him the signing of the summer so far.

That's the verdict of Stoke boss Tony Pulis as he plots a way of shackling Fulham's enigmatic newcomer at the Britannia tomorrow (3pm).

Berbatov, below, joined on a free at the end of August after four years at Manchester United – amid raised eyebrows among those many critics writing off the Bulgarian striker as mean, moody and rarely magnificent.

But five goals in seven starts and one substitute appearance – including a brace in the recent 3-3 draw at Arsenal – have quickly gagged his critics for now.

And the touch of gold dust he can sprinkle in the final third has soon endeared him to the paying public at Craven Cottage.

"I think Berbatov has been the outstanding buy for me and is playing at the top of his game," said Pulis, who believes the lure of London ruled out any move to Stoke in the summer.

"In the games I've watched, he's been absolutely outstanding. He looks like he's really enjoying himself and has found a home where he's the main player.

"Looking at him, he's showing the class he possesses. It will be worth the admission just to see him play.

"You have to say he's one of the best players in the Premier League on form. He can win games on his own and has been a great signing for manager Martin Jol.

"It's his touch and his movement, and he sees a pass. He's first-class."

The 31-year-old striker is certainly feeling more loved than for a long time after plummeting so far down Sir Alex Ferguson's affections that he started a mere five Premier League games for United last season.

What a different story after rejoining his one-time Tottenham boss Martin Jol.

Berbatov's early influence in Fulham's attack has helped contribute towards 25 goals in their first dozen fixtures this season, a figure topped only by Manchester United (29) and matched only by champions Manchester City.

"Yes, they look as though they are going to score goals," added Pulis.

"Even when they were down to 10 men against Sunderland last week, they created two or three chances.

"But he (Berbatov) is the player for me that glues everything together and makes them tick."

Fulham's record isn't quite so admirable at the other end of the pitch after conceding 11 in their last four outings.

Three of those came at Arsenal, however, and another three against Sunderland when they were down to 10 men following Brede Hangeland's 30th-minute dismissal for a rash challenge.

The gap left by Hangeland's talismanic presence would appear to offer Stoke hope in attack tomorrow.

But it's a gap Pulis characteristically fills pretty quickly by insisting: "They've got (Phillipe) Senderos and (Chris) Baird to come in.

"Every Premier League club has got strength in depth and Fulham are no different."

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/story-17402615-detail/story.html?

WhiteJC

John Pantsil's Hapoel Tel Aviv knocked out of Uefa Europa League

John Pantsil played in Hapoel's 1-0 defeat at Athletico Madrid

Ghana defender John Pantsil played full throttle for Hapoel Tel Aviv in their 1-0 defeat at Athletico Madrid that ended their campaign in the Uefa Europa League on Thursday night.

Running free of the visiting defence down the right, the lively Adrián López cut the ball into the area.

Goalkeeper Édel Apoula could only parry out to Emre Belözo?lu, whose spin and pass back towards Raúl García was met with a firm shot that bounced in off the crossbar.

The goal jolted Josef Abuksis's side – bottom of the group – into action and they went close to equalising when Hanan Maman headed Roei Gordana's corner into the side netting.

Eliran Danin then caused a fright among the home support as he broke clear and nodded John Pantsil's centre wide.

Hapoel demonstrated plenty of enthusiasm as they sought to curtail Atlético's 11-match European winning streak at the Vicente Calderón, with Tal Ben Haim bursting clean through after the interval only to be denied by Sergio Asenjo.

The experienced right back was shown the yellow in the 73 minute.

The defeat ended Hapoel's adventure in the competition but their performance was an improvement on their 3-0 defeat against the champions in the reverse fixture.

The former Fulham man is expected to continue with his fine form for the Israeli giants ahead of next year's African Cup of Nations in South Africa.

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/john-pantsils-hapoel-tel-aviv-knocked-out-of-uefa-europa-league/?

WhiteJC

Bees hold off competition from Holland to bag Fulham frontman

BRENTFORD fought off competition from Holland to land Fulham frontman Marcello Trotta on loan until January.

Whites boss Martin Jol revealed a Dutch club were also interested in the 20-year-old striker, only for him to move down the road to Griffin Park instead.

The Italian bagged eight goals in as many games for Wycombe Wanderers last season, but failed to hit the same heights during a failed stint at Championship Watford.

Trotta is well down the pecking order at Fulham, so Jol reckons west London is the perfect place to develop his talent rather than go overseas.

"I think Brentford is a good club to take the next step," the Dutchman told the Chronicle. "He did well at Wycombe and will do well at Brentford too.

"He realises that that level is good enough for any young player to play at. You have to be tough and show your quality - he will do his best there.

"He wanted to go to Holland but we had to wait until January [if we wanted to recall him] and I didn't want to do that.

"For me it was better for him to stay here, especially in London."

http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/west-london-sport/allsport/2012/11/23/82029-32290916/?

WhiteJC

Friedel returning to Rovers could see Robinson join Whites – report

Keeper Paul Robinson could join Fulham after Blackburn made a move to re-sign Brad Friedel, according to the Daily Mirror.

Rovers are believed to be keen to take Friedel back to Ewood Park from Tottenham, with Robinson then being allowed to leave the Championship club.

That apparently might alert Fulham boss Martin Jol, who was Robinson's manager at Spurs.

The Mirror also say QPR plan to sack Mark Hughes and appoint Harry Redknapp after Saturday's game against Manchester United.

It is claimed Rangers are confident Redknapp will take charge as early as Sunday and that he will be given the green light to revamp the squad in January.

It is also suggested that the club's hand was forced when the Ukraine FA apparently made overtures to Redknapp this week.

The Daily Mail also believe Hughes is close to being fired and reckon chairman Tony Fernandes was close to wielding the axe after Rangers' recent defeat at Arsenal.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/friedel-returning-to-rovers-could-see-robinson-join-whites-report

WhiteJC

Fulham's Stockdale grasps return chance to Yorkshire with Tigers

Steve Bruce yesterday brought in goalkeeper David Stockdale after a scouting trip paid dividends for the Hull City manager.

Tigers boss Bruce watched the Fulham goalkeeper turn out for the Cottagers' reserves at Middlesbrough on Monday and was impressed enough to sign the former York City goalkeeper on a month's loan.

"I played for Fulham's reserves up at Middlesbrough on Monday and Steve Bruce was there," Stockdale said, after agreeing a deal until the New Year.

"How the move came about I'm not too sure, but it all happened very quickly and now I'm delighted to be here.

"It's all about playing games really and that wasn't happening at Fulham because their goalkeeper is doing really well. You can't argue with that.

"Hopefully I can play some games here. With the position the team is in, and the fan-base there is here, coming here was something I really wanted to do once the chance came about.

"There are plenty of games coming up and some really good ones as well. If we can pick up points along the way, like the team has been doing, then that can put us in a great position heading towards the back end of the season," added the 27-year-old Leeds-born goalkeeper.

Bruce has yet to decide whether to rest current No 1 Ben Amos after a long run in the team for tomorrow's visit of Burnley, or stick with a winning side after last time out at Birmingham City.

"It's something I've got to look at because Ben Amos has done very well for us," he said.

"He's played 20-odd games on the trot and that's fantastic for him and he'll learn from the experiences he's had. He's made a couple of mistakes, but every player does and I want to stress that this isn't the end for Ben Amos, far from it.

"David is an experienced goalkeeper who played games in the Premier League last season and did very well," said Bruce.

"With the injury Mark Oxley has suffered and with the amount of games coming up before the window opens again, going through with two goalkeepers wasn't going to be healthy at all."

Tigers defender Paul McShane (calf) is a doubt for tomorrow's game at the KC Stadium.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city/fulham-s-stockdale-grasps-return-chance-to-yorkshire-with-tigers-1-5160498

WhiteJC

Fighting Spirit

Fulham winger Ashkan Dejagah believes the Whites will need to display their fighting qualities if they're to come away from Saturday's fixture at Stoke City with a favourable result.

The Potters make no secret of their hustle-and-bustle style of football and the encounter could be something of an eye-opener for Dejagah, who joined Fulham on the final day of the August transfer window.

"The players tell me that Stoke are very direct and it's not easy to play at their ground," Dejagah told the official website. "They have some big players and they like to play long balls. We must fight in this game – it's not a match to play football. If we fight for each other we can win this game."

Sidelined through injury upon first signing, Dejagah impressed in three substitute appearances for the Club, before being handed his first start in the 3-3 draw at Arsenal.

"It was a big game for me," he said. "It was my first match for Fulham from the beginning and it was against Arsenal at an amazing stadium. It was a good game; it ended 3-3 so we were very happy to score three goals at Arsenal. I was very happy that the Manager gave me the chance to start the game. It showed he believes in me.

"I feel very good after my injury. The physios have been great and I'm very happy here. It's good to now be involved with the First Team. Every player has been great with me and the games have also been good apart from the last one. We were disappointed to lose against Sunderland but now we must look to the next game against Stoke and hope we can play better."

Despite a strong performance at the home of the Gunners, Dejagah was back on the bench for Sunday's 3-1 loss to Sunderland, with Martin Jol preferring to use Damien Duff on the right flank.

Dejagah, however, has no qualms with Jol's decision, stating: "After the Arsenal game, I had a match with my national team Iran and I had two long flights. Damien Duff is a big player for Fulham so it was no problem."

But, with Bryan Ruiz and Alexander Kačaniklić currently sidelined with injury and Kieran Richardson not back in training until next week, there could be an opening on the left for Dejagah, Duff or even Hugo Rodallega at the Britannia Stadium.

It's a position 26-year-old Dejagah is not unfamiliar with, having featured there during his time at VfL Wolfsburg.

"The right is my favourite but I've played on the left before for Wolfsburg," said Dejagah. "The Manager is the boss and he will decide who will play there on Saturday."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/23/fighting-spirit?

WhiteJC

Limited Number Available

With five consecutive home games selling out, a Half Season Ticket is the best way to secure your seat at the Cottage for the second half of the 2012/13 season.

A limited number of Half Season Tickets are on sale for our final nine home games, starting with Wigan Athletic on Saturday 12th January 2013 (3pm).

You could be at the Cottage to cheer on the Whites against the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool. Your Half Season Ticket also covers two West London derby matches against Chelsea and Queens Park Rangers.

Read more about the Half Season Tickets at fulhamfc.com/halfseasontickets.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/23/limited-number-available?

WhiteJC

Fulham missing key men

Fulham will again be without a number of key players for Sunday morning's (AEDT) trip to Stoke.

Alex Kacaniklic and Bryan Ruiz are both out for the next two weeks with hamstring injuries picked up against Sunderland, while Mickael Tavares and Kieran Richardson miss out with similar complaints.

Fulham can call upon Mahamadou Diarra (knee) and Chris Baird (ban) again, although captain Brede Hangeland (ban), Simon Davies (hip) and Kerim Frei (loan return) are also unavailable. David Stockdale, Marcello Trotta and Alex Smith left the club on loan on Thursday.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1130101/Fulham-missing-key-men?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Stoke v Fulham

Fulham's run of decent form was ended by Sunderland last week, albeit after Brede Hangeland was sent off, and this will be another big test for them.

I remain unconvinced by the Cottagers when they are on the road, and having Hangeland suspended for this game is a big loss because he is exactly the sort of player they need against the Potters.

I am not sure Martin Jol's side will win the physical battles to allow them to play the football they can, and their hopes rest on getting Dimitar Berbatov into the game as much as possible.

Berbatov is a top-class player and, even on a bad day, he will still do a couple of things during a game that mere mortals would not even think of.

He is hardly a grafter, though, which you need your players to be against Stoke. He does not chase back very often - I remember being on Match of the Day once when he was at United and he came running back to challenge the opposition left-back, and we almost closed the programme with it.

Prediction: 2-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20443753

WhiteJC

Reds Await U18s

Fulham's Under-18s head to Liverpool on Saturday (11am), looking for a third successive win.

Comprehensive victories over Manchester City and Middlesbrough leave the Whites sitting in second place in the table on 19 points – seven behind runaway leaders Chelsea.

Saturday's opponents, Liverpool, are in fourth spot and defeated Fulham 3-1 at Motspur Park in September.

Emerson Hyndman put the Whites in front, but second-half goals from Jerome Sinclair, Kristoffer Peterson and Yalany Baio saw the Reds depart with the points.

Last weekend, Steve Wigley's side thrashed Boro 6-0 thanks to a Muamer Tankovic hat-trick, Pat Roberts' brace and Lyle Della Verde's effort.

Academy Director Huw Jennings said: "It was very, very comfortable for us. Once we got the advantage there was really only one team in it. That was our first clean sheet of the season so that, as much as anything, is particularly important."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/23/reds-await-u18s?

WhiteJC

Boro 2-0 U21s Highlights

Fulham Under-21s were unable to build on the victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers in their previous outing, as they slipped to a 2-0 defeat at Middlesbrough on Monday.

Despite the testing conditions, both sides made a bright start to proceedings, with Cauley Woodrow creating the first of the afternoon's chances with a clever piece of skill. However, the young striker's low strike was easily held by Jayson Leutwiler.

At the other end, Adam Reach and Luke Williams both saw opportunities come and go, with David Stockdale making an impressive save to deny the latter.

Woodrow then drew another save from the Boro 'keeper, before seeing his next effort cleared off the line by a defender as Fulham threatened to open the scoring.

But it would be the home side that broke the deadlock, when Williams made the most of some defensive hesitancy and, after stealing the ball, was subsequently tripped in the box. Andy Halliday stepped up and finished confidently from the penalty spot.

Early in the second half, Boro went close to doubling their advantage when Ryan Brobbel fired wide. In response, Kit Symons' side pushed forward and almost levelled only to see Josh Pritchard's stinging strike from distance rattle the woodwork.

Stockdale pulled off another brilliant stop moments later, denying Cameron Park's powerful shot as the hosts looked for a second.

Unfortunately for Fulham, that goal came within minutes when Williams headed beyond the reach of Stockdale following some intelligent play from Reach and Andre Bennett.

Symons told fulhamfc.com: "I actually thought this was an evenly matched game, and had we made more of our early chances then perhaps we could have had something to show.

"We had a very young side out today, in what were very difficult conditions. But that's not an excuse, because as the result suggests we just weren't good enough. That said, there were positives to be taken and it was good experience for them.

"I thought we played some good football in patches, it's just a shame that we didn't make the most of that. No one likes losing, so we'll have to move on and make sure we bounce back."

Fulham U21: Stockdale; Brister, Musa, Arthurworrey, Grimmer; Pritchard, Minkwitz, Banya (Della Verde 70), Altman; Islamovic (Tankovic 60), Woodrow

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/23/boro-u21s-highlights?

WhiteJC

Stoke v Fulham

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Britannia Stadium Date: Saturday, 24 November

TEAM NEWS

Stoke midfielder Dean Whitehead returns to the squad after serving a ban.

Defender Andy Wilkinson is a doubt with a back problem sustained during Monday's draw with West Ham, while Michael Owen is not ready to return.

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland begins a three-match ban following his red card in the home defeat by Sunderland.

Mahamadou Diarra and Chris Baird both return but Alex Kacaniklic, Bryan Ruiz, Kieran Richardson and Mickael Tavares are all out with hamstring injuries.

MATCH PREVIEW

Forty five clubs have played in the Premier League but few have made the very best of their resources like Stoke and Fulham.
If there is such a thing as a comfort zone in the Premier League, Fulham are in it and Stoke on the cusp.

Fulham don't often get noticed or given due credit but this is their 12th successive season in the Premier League and they have averaged a 12th-place finish. When you consider they were lingering near the bottom of the Football League in the mid-1990s, it's very impressive.

Stoke have finished below Fulham in three of the last four seasons since returning to the top flight, but they have seldom looked troubled in lower mid-table.

Despite the similarities - and only three points separate them going into this game - the two sides currently have widely disparate statistical records. Stoke have the division's second meanest defence, while Fulham have scored more goals than any side other than Manchester United. I don't know what that leads us to expect from this game, except that it's likely to be unpredictable.

Stoke have been saying how the Britannia Stadium has to be a fortress for them. That's been the case to an extent, but a meagre tally of four goals at home shows they're not finding it easy to knock teams over.

Fulham are known for being good at home, but they're unbeaten in their last four away games. Dimitar Berbatov has scored in the last two of those and Fulham really picked up a bargain when they signed him.

The opposing centre forward, Peter Crouch, has gone six games without a goal for Stoke. Nonetheless, I think he could trouble a Fulham defence missing the solidity of the suspended Brede Hangeland. Stoke need Crouch to emulate Berbatov's goalscoring prowess if they are to improve on an unenviable record of three wins in 23 league games.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Fulham have won three of the last four meetings but last season's encounter at the Britannia Stadium ended 2-0 to Stoke, with Jon Walters and Rory Delap scoring in the last 10 minutes.

The two clubs have met 72 times in all competitions, with Fulham ahead by 30 wins to Stoke's 27.

Stoke
The Potters are enjoying a 12-match unbeaten run at home, with five wins and seven draws since a defeat by Sunderland in February. It's their best sequence in the top flight since a club record 23-match streak in 1973-74.

There have only been five Premier League goals scored at the Britannia Stadium this season - Stoke have scored four and conceded just one (against Manchester City).

Tony Pulis's side have scored just three second-half goals this season, fewer than any other Premier League club.

They have the second best defensive record in the division, behind leaders Manchester City.

Stoke's record of seven draws from their opening 12 Premier League games has only been surpassed by two clubs: Leeds, in 1998-99, and Norwich, in 2004-05, drew eight of their initial 12 fixtures.

Jon Walters will be making his 350th career league appearance.

Fulham
Fulham have gone four league matches without victory (D3, L1), their worst run since failing to win any of their opening six games last season.

They have dropped a league-high 14 points from winning positions.

Martin Jol's side have scored 25 goals, a tally bettered only by Manchester United.

Fulham's substitutes have scored an unrivalled seven Premier League goals this season.

Dimitar Berbatov has been directly involved in eight goals (five goals, three assists) in only seven league starts for the club. He has scored 23 goals in his last 26 Premier League starts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20374632?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol says Fayed won't play football manager

Martin Jol is not convinced that Roberto Di Matteo's decision to kick-off with Fernando Torres on the bench against Juventus was the straw that finally snapped the patience of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

But while the Fulham boss is sufficiently wise in the way of the football world to know that Abramovich  does wield the kind of brutal influence at Stamford Bridge that might make most Blues managers think twice about their team selections, the big Dutchman is confident that his own foreign owner will never meddle.

The benevolent presence of Mohamed Al Fayed looms large over Craven Cottage, but Jol insisted only he fills in the team sheet. Jol, who takes his side the short distance to Chelsea next Wednesday night, said: "I would always tell him that he made me responsible, he gave me the key, so I will make the decisions. I think the chairman knows that. I feel the coach is always responsible."

Jol shook his head at headlines claiming that Abramovich sacked Di Matteo simply because he did not start with Torres, the Russian oligarch's pet player, for that fateful Champions League night in Turin. "That is only speculation," he said.

"I don't think Abramovich would tell him to play a certain player, because every game is different. And especially against Juve, I can understand why he (Matteo) did that."

Jol will hope to go to the Bridge off the back of a successful foray to Stoke City tomorrow. Fulham, notoriously poor travellers in the past, are now looking more comfortable playing away from the Cottage. Yet Jol is far from satisfied with three draws in a run of four away games without defeat which is just two shy of Fulham's Premier League record.

"It's not great," he said. "If you looked to the past, those games would probably have been lost, so it is good to have those draws. But, hopefully, we can turn these games into wins because that is what we've lacked. We could have been in a better position in the league."

Fulham will have to challenge hard at the Britannia Stadium. Not only are Stoke unbeaten in their last 12 home Premier League matches but the visitors will have to combat the aerial threat of Peter Crouch without the imposing presence of captain Brede Hangeland.

At least the tall Norwegian's suspension, brought on by his red card against Sunderland last weekend, has given him more time to consider Fulham's latest contract offer. Jol revealed he was "optimistic" that Hangeland will sign sometime over the next month.

Philippe Senderos will deputise at centre-half and Mahamadou Diarra is available after an injury lay-off. But both Bryan Ruiz and Alex Kacaniklic face another fortnight on the side-lines after sustaining hamstring strains in the defeat to Sunderland.

With his midfield depleted by injury, and a certain US-based former England captain looking for a "new challenge", Jol was asked if he had considered making an offer to David Beckham.

Jol thought long and hard before answering, as though Beckham seeing out his playing days in a white shirt was a distinct possibility. But it won't happen.

"I would love to do it," said Jol. "He is one of my favourite players, ever. I've met him and he was ever so nice, and he is an unbelievable sportsman. But I have Damien Duff and Ashkan  Dejagah in that position on the right, and we couldn't afford him anyway."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/martin-jol-says-fayed-wont-play-football-manager-8346587.html

WhiteJC

Losing with style – the new winning

I am still reading Inverting the Pyramid, the brilliant book about the development of football tactics by Jonathon Wilson. This morning on the way to work I read a passage about the Brazil side of the 1970 World Cup. Considered by many (including me) as the zenith of football ability, combining success with artistry. Wilson makes an excellent point that had Brazil not won the World Cup that year many of their most celebrated moments (Pele's lob from the halfway line against Czechoslovakia that hit the bar and his dummy to evade Uruguay's goalie which he followed by missing an open goal) would have been viewed as counter productive extravagances rather than beautiful football.

I continue to be frustrated by so called analysis on British television that rarely tells you anything you couldn't have seen for yourself and is very much focused on contentious decisions and praising the side that won the game. A player might receive great praise one week because he played a key part in a side that kept a clean sheet but be taken apart the following week because he made one mistake that led to a goal. I understand that winning is important, I know I would not be happy if we lost stylishly EVERY week, but I'd like to see football analysts look beyond the result a little more often.

The great thing about live football is that you see the game you want to see. I'm thoroughly enjoying the current style & panache of Martin Jol's Fulham. Sunday's match was the first time I can remember enjoying a game we lost. Early on we were so comfortable it looked like we'd cruise to an easy win and there'd be little need to get excited. Hangeland's sending off changed the game (a ball winning tackle that ironically brought to mind Bobby Moore's tackle on Jairzinho in the 1970 World Cup) and wasn't helped by the fact we'd not long replaced Alex Kacaniclic. Despite the imbalance in numbers we still dominated the first half and to my mind were the best side in the second half too.

Berbatov was supreme throughout, drifting into fabulous positions and picking out passes that perhaps only Johnny Haynes would have been able to see as clearly. Ruiz buzzed about and, though he does have a tendency to give the ball away at bad moments, looked like he was going to be able to unlock the Sunderland defence until his unfortunate injury. Having replaced Ruiz, Petric started like a steam train and even when struggling a little after getting studded whilst scoring, looked threatening for the rest of the game. So many positives throughout the team that I felt the performance outweighed the result.

Even at 3-1 down I felt we had a chance to get a result. I was enthralled to the end and proud that we didn't try and shut up shop and went for the win. Perhaps at times we were a little naive in defence but I think rather than try and posit blame on individuals we need to understand the disruption caused to the team balance from the loss of a player. Poor old Philippe Senderos got a tonking from some of those people around me. Whilst I've not yet been convinced of his abilities myself, he really was on a hiding to nothing and left horribly exposed on several occasions.

Obviously results do matter. If we lost stylishly every week I'd soon tire of it but we're having a great season so far and I'm excited to see this Fulham side playing. We've got a tough few weeks ahead in which we'll be missing key players. Hopefully this will give the opportunity to some of the squad to show us what they're capable of. Senderos will almost certainly get a little run. He needs to perform. I'd like to see more of Dejagah and Petric. I'd also like to see what Rodallega could do in a more central role. Whoever plays though I'm sure it's going to be fun.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/losing-with-style-the-new-winning/?

WhiteJC

Stoke v Fulham – Match Preview

Mladen Petric has insisted he is fit for Fulham's trip to Stoke, while Mahamadou Diarra could also return from injury for Saturday's game.

Petric was subbed off in Fulham's 3-1 defeat to Sunderland last week just after scoring his side's only goal but the Croatian striker, who has struck four goals in seven games since moving to the English Premier League, is convinced he will be fine to play Stoke.

Sunday's defeat at home was a shock for Fulham and they want to bounce back quickly against a team similarly placed on the Premier League table.

"I got a kick on my calf when I scored," Petric said, "It made a cut so I had to come off to have stitches put in and then by the time I got back on the pitch it was 2-1. It was a bit painful but I had injections so it was OK."

Stoke will draw level with Fulham on 16 points if they win on Saturday but with the visitors having not won in four matches, they are due a victory.

Fulham manager Martin Jol may be keen to bring Diarra straight back into his starting line-up as his team have struggled defensively this season.

Diarra would add much-needed stability in defensive midfield as Fulham have conceded the equal third most goals in the Premier League (22 in 12 games).

Stoke held on for an impressive 1-1 draw away to West Ham last week and have picked up five points in their past four fixtures as they have moved up to 14th position.

For Stoke to win against Fulham they will most likely need to keep the visitors scoreless.

Tony Pulis' side have only scored more than one goal in three Premier League matches this season with Peter Crouch Stoke's main attacking weapon.

Crouch has hit the back of the net four times this season but has not scored in his past six matches, a record that must improve if Stoke are to cause an upset against Fulham.

Prediction: Stoke 1 – 1 Fulham

http://www.footballfancast.com/football-news/stoke-v-fulham-match-preview?