more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (30/11/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 30, 2012, 04:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey: I left Fulham because I wasn't appreciated enough

Clint Dempsey claims he would have stayed at Fulham had the club given him the recognition he felt he deserved.

Dempsey returns to Craven Cottage on Saturday after an acrimonious summer ended with him joining Tottenham hours before the transfer window closed on August 31.

The 29-year-old United States international missed pre-season with his former club and a breakdown in relations meant he was not included in any of their early fixtures.

The Texan admitted he moved to Spurs to make progress in his career but hinted he might have remained in west London had events taken a different course.

"If you always felt valued and appreciated enough, I don't think you'd ever leave but it came to a point where I didn't feel valued and appreciated," said Dempsey. "Not by the fans but by other situations. That's just the way things went.

"The situation is difficult because things go on behind the scenes that the fans don't really know about. The fans were great to me, the chairman [Mohamed Fayed] was great to me but it got the point where I wanted to keep going and try to further my career.

"I thank them for the five-and-a-half years I had there, which were some of the best experiences I've had, and I'm grateful to the chairman for taking a chance on me. Any time I go back, there will always be good memories."

Dempsey could be given hostile treatment from the home crowd following his move across London but he added: "How you're received, you're received. It's unfortunate how things happened but I look forward to going back."

Dempsey's will not be the only reunion. Mousa Dembele also left Fulham for Spurs in August, while Jan Vertonghen will cross swords with Fulham chief and former Tottenham boss Martin Jol, with whom he worked at Ajax from 2009 until 2011.

Dempsey, Dembele and Vertonghen all started last night's match against Liverpool as Spurs secured their second successive League win, which lifted them to fifth in the table.

Vertonghen has started well in England and is relishing meeting his old boss. "He is a good motivator," said the defender. "He can always motivate teams for the biggest games and even the smaller ones. I liked working with him and he gave me a lot of confidence.

"We've had two good wins but Fulham are a well-organised team."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/clint-dempsey-i-left-fulham-because-i-wasnt-appreciated-enough-8367674.html

WhiteJC

John's Derby Delight

John Arne Riise praised the collective efforts of his Fulham teammates as they left Stamford Bridge with a point on Wednesday after holding Chelsea to a goalless draw.

The home side just about had the better of the play but the Whites, too, had their moments and so, in the end, the draw was probably the fair result – making it the fourth consecutive league stalemate between the sides.

"We've done well at the Bridge in recent years," John told fulhamfc.com. "It was a great team performance; we showed character and worked hard for each other and we're really pleased with how we played the game.

"We knew that the Chelsea team had a little bit of pressure on them before the match so we knew they probably needed to win to keep the fans happy, but our fans were simply fantastic.

"We heard them all game and especially in the second half when we had a few chances right in front of them; it was great support.

"Even though we've just played two games in a short space of time and we've got a third one coming up, we feel great because against Chelsea we put in a great team performance and it gives us energy ahead of the next game."

The Blues' attacking options on Wednesday evening included Fernando Torres, Oscar, Eden Hazard and substitute Juan Mata, and John was pleased to keep the lively quartet – who cost Chelsea an estimated £130m – from scoring.

"We knew that they have some great players up front; technical players who like to see a pass that nobody else can see, so we needed to be compact," he explained. "The back four worked really hard, the midfield worked really hard and also the guys up front, so it was a great team performance.

"We're really happy so now it's time to have a quick rest before making sure we're ready for the game on Saturday against Tottenham Hotspur, because it's a tough week this one."

A regular downfall for Fulham this season has been conceding goals from crosses; something our hosts were evidently aware of as they subsequently attempted to whip the ball into the box on no less than 40 occasions.

Fulham held firm though and there was almost always a white shirt attacking the ball first.

"We stuck together and we knew they were going to try and get some crosses in," John said. "But we worked hard and we made so many blocks, it was unbelievable. They had shots from 20 yards and five yards but we blocked every single one so as a Team we were happy and I think the gaffer was happy as well."

Taking a point away from Stamford Bridge is undeniably a great result, but it could have been so much better for the Whites had John taken one of the two chances that fell his way.

First, he latched onto Giorgos Karagounis' magnificent cross-field pass after running the length of the pitch but couldn't find the right connection as he went to shoot, before Petr Cech did well to parry his vicious strike from distance.

"I should have scored at least one," he admitted. "But I had a bad first control and the second one was a deflection and a great save by Petr. So we could've won it but we're happy with a point.

"With that first chance I think I ran about 90 yards so I was quite tired by the end! I tried to chest it down to take the shot but the control was too close to my body and I couldn't get a shot off, so I was disappointed."

Fulham now have another London derby to look forward to when we welcome Spurs to Craven Cottage on Saturday (3pm), and our left-back wants to take the confidence gained from the Chelsea result into the weekend's contest.

"We kept a clean sheet which was important for us," he said. "But Spurs won 2-1 against Liverpool so they are on a high as well which means it will be a very tough game for us. But it's a home match and we want to get back to winning ways and get points on the board so the Chelsea result was a good step going into this game.

"People worked hard on Wednesday and we really wanted to keep a clean sheet and get back amongst the points and now we've got to take that momentum in the Tottenham game, and that's something that we're all looking forward to."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/29/johns-derby-delight?

WhiteJC

John Arne Riise pleased with Fulham's point at Chelsea

Fulham left-back John Arne Riise has praised the performance of his teammates for their efforts to claim a point against Chelsea in Wednesday night's 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge.

Riise was also keen to praise the impact that Fulham's supporters, who were audible all game long, had on the players.

"We've done well at the Bridge in recent years," Riise told Fulham's official website. "It was a great team performance; we showed character and worked hard for each other and we're really pleased with how we played the game.

"We knew that the Chelsea team had a little bit of pressure on them before the match so we knew they probably needed to win to keep the fans happy, but our fans were simply fantastic.

"We heard them all game and especially in the second half when we had a few chances right in front of them; it was great support."

Fulham have a home tie against fellow London side Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/riise-pleased-with-point-at-chelsea_57027.html

WhiteJC

Jan Vertonghen wary of Martin Jol's Fulham

Tottenham Hotspur centre-back Jan Vertonghen has praised the managerial abilities of Fulham manager Martin Jol ahead of the London sides' clash at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Vertonghen, who played under Jol at Ajax, has also urged his teammates to not take the threat of Fulham lightly.

"I liked working with [Jol] and he gave me a lot of confidence," Sky Sports News quotes Vertonghen as saying.

"He is a good trainer. I was always doubting whether I was a left-back, a central midfielder, or a centre-back. He just told me I was a centre-back and he let me play there for two seasons and I started playing well.

"We've had two good wins but Fulham are a well-organised team."

Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele could both face their former side at the weekend.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/vertonghen-wary-of-jols-fulham_57036.html

WhiteJC

Shinji Kagawa beats Mark Schwarzer to award

Manchester United midfielder Shinji Kagawa has won the inaugural Asian Football Confederation (AFC) International Player-of-the-Year award.

The 23-year-old playmaker (above) beat Fulham's Australian goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and Japan team-mate Yuto Nagatomo to the award in Kuala Lumpur.

Kagawa produced a number of impressive displays earlier in the year as Borussia Dortmund claimed the Bundesliga title before he moved to England where he has had a low-key start and struggled with injury.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/shinji-kagawa-beats-mark-schwarzer-to-award-8368703.html

WhiteJC

Fair Play to Fulham

Who said terrace humour had been eliminated with the introduction of all seated stadia following the Taylor Report?

Last night, I have to admit that the Fulham support earned top marks with one, off-the-cuff, chant.

With the Stamford Bridge faithful drifting away in their droves before the end, courtesy of another dull (Rafa inspired) performance, the chant of

"Is there a fire drill?"

filled the air from the away section of the Shed End.

Subtle but very funny I thought!

Read more: http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=531975#ixzz2Dg7Pxjaj

WhiteJC

Berbatov is on fire but Spurs are favourites to win on Saturday

Aren't Fulham boring – a well run professional club who haven't changed their manager since Mark Hughes resigned last June.

They had their opportunities for a famous win at the Bridge in midweek but Martin Jol would have taken a point at kick-off.

Spurs are the visitors in a cracking looking game on Saturday with Dimitar Berbatov meeting one of his former clubs.

Spurs are 29/20 favourites with Fulham 2s and the draw at 5/2.

The Bulgarian is 13/2 to score the opener and 7/4 to net at any time.

The returning Clint Dempsey is 15/2 to score first with Moussa Dembele 13/1 – and the pair are 2/1 and 7/2 respectively to score at any time.

Even by Chelsea's standards it's been an extraordinary week at Stamford Bridge.

Roberto Di Matteo has been replaced by Red Rafa, and the former Liverpool manager has quickly transformed an exciting, vibrant attacking side into one that has failed to score in their last two matches.

We have opened a market on which club former Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola will manage next and make Chelsea our 6/4 favourites with Manchester United 3s, City 4s and Arsenal 5s.

Given Guardiola has suggested he will finish his self-imposed footballing exile this summer, there seems little doubt that he will be back in work for the start of the 2013/14 season.

But what happens if Roman Abramovich can't persuade him that his future lies at Stamford Bridge?

Chelsea are out to 7s for the title behind United 10/11 and City 11/8 but I have largely given up on their chances following the appointment of Benitez.

He has been out of work for 18 months and pulled up no trees at Inter Milan or in his last couple of years at Anfield. Funny old game? You bet.

The Blues travel to Upton Park on Saturday to meet a West Ham side who have made a satisfactory start to their return to the top flight.

Their home form is likely to be the key to their chances and they are 16/5 to beat Chelsea, who are 19/20 with the draw at 13/5.

We bet 11/1 that the game finishes in another 0-0 draw and that would be some Benitez hat-trick!

QPR, rather less surprisingly than Chelsea, decided to change their manager and the appointment of Harry 'Houdini' Redknapp has gone down well.

Aston Villa are the visitors to Loftus Road on Saturday and the Hoops must start winning games or the odds of 8/13 to be relegated and 9/4 to finish bottom of the table will look very generous.

They were 5/2 to finish in the top half of the Premier League at the start of the season – they are now 6/5 to stay up. I'm afraid that speaks volumes for the start to the season they have made.

Rangers are 21/20 to gain that elusive first win of the season with Villa 29/10 and the draw at 5/2.

Djibril Cisse remains even-money favourite to score most league goals for the club this term – despite what some people are suggesting on Twitter!

We have updated our markets on the number of points and goals the R's will get this term and it doesn't make for pleasant reading for their fans.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/berbatov-is-on-fire-but-spurs-are-favourites-to-win-on-saturday

WhiteJC

Jol hails hard working Fulham

Fulham boss Martin Jol believes Dimitar Berbatov was "fantastic" at Chelsea but was quick to praise the rest of the squad.

The Cottagers secured a point at Chelsea on Wednesday with a goalless draw, although Jol felt his side could have taken all three points had they taken their chances.

Jol admits striker Dimitar Berbatov, a summer signing from Manchester United, was in fine form at Stamford Bridge but the Dutchman insists all of the players deserve credit following the draw with the European champions.

"We could have nicked it and that would have been bad for them and great for us," said Jol.

"I'm not disappointed to only get a draw away from home, but disappointed we didn't make more of those chances.

"After the game, everyone said Berbatov was fantastic, and he was, but the other players worked every so hard."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-hails-hard-working-fulham-1509157.html?

WhiteJC

Chelsea 0-0 Fulham: Player ratings
by DAN on NOVEMBER 29, 2012

Fulham competed from first minute to the last at Stamford Bridge last night – and executed Martin Jol's gameplan effortlessly. The Dutchman described the game as his 'perfect scenario' in his post-match Sky Sports interview and you could see what he meant. The Whites were quickly into their stride, taking advantage of the local discontent at the presence of Rafa Benitez in the home dugout, kept things tight at the back and looked dangerous on the break. So successful were Fulham that there's more than a tinge of regret that the visitors couldn't end their 33-year wait for a win at the Bridge.

Schwarzer: It was a measure of how surprisingly comfortable Fulham's evening was that the Australian had very little to do. He fielded a speculative shot from Torres with consummate ease in the first half and was able to comfortably gather Ramires' speculative stab from ten yards in the second half. The only time Schwarzer, who organised his defence expertly throughout, looked to be beaten the outstanding Aaron Hughes arrived to hook Torres' shot clear from underneath his own bar. 7

Riether: The German's fast becoming Fulham's most reliable right back since Steve Finnan, even though he hasn't yet matched compatriot Moritz Volz's feat of scoring at Stamford Bridge. Riether was resolute in defence, seeing Eden Hazard substituted as Chelsea searched for a breakthrough, and was eager to surge forward. Had Mladen Petric not only just left the bench himself, the on-loan Cologne full-back might have made the winner. 8

Riise: Like Paul Konchesky before him, Riise will have to get over spurning a splendid chance to turn a creditable point into all three. Having galloped fully ninety yards to reach the Chelsea six-yard box, the away fans waited for Riise to finish a flowing break that began in Fulham's own penalty area, but he failed to make a telling connection. Cech did well to save a deflected strike, but the left back's wait for his first goal will go into a 57th game. Diligent defensively, but will wonder what could have been. 7

Hughes: Outstanding. Dependable. Flawless. Pick a glowing adjective and it will describe the Northern Irish centre back's fautless display last night. In the absence of Brede Hangeland, Fulham's centre halves needed to assert themselves against Fernando Torres and Hughes, for so long the unsung hero of this team, rose to the occasion. Rarely beaten in the air against a taller forward, Hughes was composed in cutting out the danger – twice blocking shots in his own box – before lunging to divert Torres' effort to safety when it flashed worryingly across goal. 9

Senderos: The Swiss defender has a vocal band of detractors but his sins in a Fulham shirt have been difficult to identify. Having struggled on this ground in the past against Didier Drogba (who didn't?), Senderos was exactly the physical presence Jol would have sought in the centre of his defence without Hangeland and didn't put a foot wrong until added time, when a dreadful back header almost let in Ramires. The doubters should give Senderos, who has played two and a half games since April, credit for his part in a precious clean sheet. 7

Diarra: The Malian is such a key component of Jol's team, with his ability to read the game, carry the ball forward and do the physical stuff, that even when he's lacking match sharpness – as was clearly the case last night – he's worth starting on the big nights. Diarra's presence screening the back four denied the space Oscar and Hazard they craved, but he also forged a successful partnership with Steve Sidwell to keep the ball and dictate the tempo. Brought off as he started to tire after the hour. 7

Sidwell: It was fitting that Sidwell, who passed along the Fulham Road at the speed of a 211 on a non-matchday after a frustrating spell at Chelsea earlier in his career, produced his finest performance in a Fulham shirt at the home of his former employers. The 'special one Iniesta' scurried across midfield, timed his tackles impeccably, and was clearly up for the contest from the first whistle. He comfortably outfought Oriel Romeu and were it for not the excellence of Hughes, would have been my man of the match. 8

Duff: Restored to the starting line-up against his old club and Duff delivered exactly what you've come to expert: a whole-hearted effort, full of running and plenty of defensive work – none more important than when he stabbed a loose ball behind as he dropped beyond the far post. The Irish winger was offensive enough to keep Ashley Cole back in his own half for long periods, a crucial ingredient for Fulham's success as the visitors looked to assert themselves. 7

Rodallega: An ineffectual and infuriating display from the former Latic, who failed to seize his opportunity to shine on the left flank. Used his height well against Cesar Azpilicueta but failed to attack the Spanish full-back or offer any real threat out wide. Rodallega looked slightly more dangerous when played through the middle, but even Dimitar Berbatov was perturbed by the Colombian's enigmatic display judging by the Fulham skipper's sixty seconds of berating him after an attack broke down in the second half. 6

Karagounis: Playing the Greek veteran at the point of Fulham's attacking midfield triangle was a masterstroke from Jol. Karagounis ran his heart out and was far more effective than when he looked isolated as a left winger at Stoke; crucially, dropping back to form a third orthodox central midfielder when the Whites were under pressure. His pass to release Riise midway through the second half was the ball of the night and went off to a full-throated rendition of his jolly little song. 7

Berbatov: Brilliant without being devastating once again, Berbatov led the team rather than just the forward line last night. Rather like Alistair Cook, Berbatov seems to thrive on the captaincy and was a livewire throughout – completing fifteen more passes and enjoying double the number of touches as Torres, despite costing only a tenth of the Spaniard's transfer fee. Had the assistant referee not wrongly raised his flag when the Bulgarian burst through on goal, he might have put Fulham in front. His only black mark came in injury time when his baffling decision to receive a short corner gifted Chelsea a last chance to come forward. 8

Substitutes

Baird: The Ballymena boy's absence from the starting line-up was harsh as Baird's arguably been Fulham's most consistent performer since stepping into central midfield in September. Afforded a rousing reception as he replaced Diarra, 'Bairdinho' battered a free-kick shot at Cech but stepped seamlessly into the Malian's role anchoring Fulham's midfield and picked out a couple of impressive forward passes. 7

Frei: The Turkish teenager likes playing Chelsea and his fearlessness seemed to enliven Fulham as he exploded back into the first team. He dribbled away from Azpilicueta twice in two minutes, beating him on both sides, and on another evening might have won a spot-kick for the second season in succession after being caught by Ramires. Just as importantly, he showed great awareness to tee up Riise's deflected effort, and it's great to see such a terrific talent back in a Fulham shirt. Why didn't Cardiff use him more during his month in the Championship? The Bluebirds' loss is certainly Fulham's game. 7

Petric: A late replacement for Rodallega but the Croatian striker – perhaps the most natural finisher at Motspur Park at the moment – couldn't react quickly enough to convert the only chance that came his way when he miscontrolled Riether's excellent cross. 6

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/11/chelsea-0-0-fulham-player-ratings/?

WhiteJC

Mark My Words

Evergreen goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is the cover star and main interview in the official matchday programme for the visit of Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday (3pm).

The veteran Australian looks back on his eventful spell in SW6 in what is now his 16th top-flight season in England. As it stands, no other overseas player has made more Premier League appearances.

"I'm now in my fifth season at Fulham, and in that time we've been part of some very memorable matches and we've made a bit of history too," says Mark. "Had the Club slipped out of that bottom division all those years ago it would have certainly changed the outlook – and that is a very sobering thought."

The programme - available in both traditional print format and digitally - also includes exclusive interviews with Martin Jol, Alexander Kačaniklić, Gary Mabbutt, Rodney McAree, George Cohen and Academy starlet Muamer Tankovic. In addition, the digital version bring fans video interviews with Aaron Hughes, Sascha Riether and Kerim Frei.

Manager Jol looks back on our last three games in his regular column, while former Whites man McAree is the subject of our Cult Heroes feature. Of course, he recalls that goal against Carlisle United.

Elsewhere, Spurs legend Mabbutt gives his views on Saturday's encounter, Kačaniklić takes the Fulham 50 challenge, and Cohen assesses the Whites' attacking intent this term.

With all the usual news and views from in and around the Training Ground, plus much more besides, the official Fulham programme really is the essential matchday accessory. Priced £3.50, the 84-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Fans can also order copies online by heading here.

The digital edition of the programme is available from 9am on every home matchday. Click here for more details of how to download your digital edition.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/30/mark-by-words?

WhiteJC

Cottagers Recall Striker Peniket

Premier League outfit Fulham have recalled young striker Richard Peniket from his loan at Blue Square Bet Premier side Kidderminster Harriers.

With Jamille Matt available for the Harriers after a lengthy absence, Harriers boss Steve Burr can't guarantee the 19-year-old regular first-team minutes at Aggborough.

The Stourbridge-born frontman made 12 appearances for the Harriers, having joined them on a three-month loan at the end of August.

Commenting on Peniket's return to Fulham, Burr told the club's official website: "We'll keep an eye on Richard because I thought he did very well for us while he was here.

"It was more beneficial for him now to go back to Fulham and get more football, albeit probably in their reserve side, than not being involved here."

Peniket has spent time on loan at Hereford United in the 2011/12 campaign and has been capped by Wales at U17, U19 and U21 levels.

http://www.bluesqfootball.com/story/0,20970,13040_8295198,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham Focus - Cottagers leave Stamford Bridge with creditable draw

Although a 0-0 draw was arguably a just result in a rather tepid West London derby at Stamford Bridge, Fulham can rightly say that if there was to be a winner, the European champions could not argue too much had it been the visitors. Indeed, had John Arne Riise managed to score either one of his two opportunities after half-time, then the Cottagers could well have been returning to Craven Cottage with a famous three points.

Coming into the match, the fear was that Martin Jol's creaking back-line, shorn of the services of Brede Hangeland once more due to suspension, would struggle to cope with the pace and trickery of the likes Juan Mata, Eden Hazard and Oscar, not to mention Fernando Torres. However, Chelsea boss Rafael Benitez surprisingly chose to leave Mata on the bench while Hazard, Oscar and Torres were all subdued, partly due to their own lethargy and partly due to a superb defensive showing from Fulham.

Indeed, it was a display that starkly contrasted with some of the carefree defending we have seen from the Cottagers under Jol. However this time, having been bullied at the weekend by Stoke's aerial power, the central-defensive pairing of Philippe Senderos and Aaron Hughes was magnificent. It has to be said that in Torres they were facing a striker who is shorn of all confidence at the moment, yet to go to Stamford Bridge and keep a clean sheet is good in any season - particularly this one when only a few weeks ago everyone was raving about the Blues' attacking talents.

Of course, to subsidise for Fulham's impressive defence, the Cottagers' attack lacked the sparkle that we associate with them. While once again Dimitar Berbatov was majestic in his touch and control of the ball when in possession, his strike partner Hugo Rodallega failed to acquit himself very well on a rare start for the club and it seems certain that the return of Bryan Ruiz to full fitness to play alongside Berbatov cannot come quickly enough for Jol.

However, with two home games to come against Tottenham and Newcastle - fixtures that the Cottagers will be confident of getting results in under the lights of Craven Cottage - a point away at their local rivals left both the Fulham staff and fans extremely satisfied indeed.

In those two upcoming matches, Jol will hope to see a lot more of Kerim Frei. After recovering from surgery in the summer and going out on loan for a spell at Championship side Cardiff, Frei returned to the Fulham first team against Chelsea from the substitutes bench and proceeded to cause havoc with his direct running and electric speed. While much has been made of Alex Kacaniklic's form this season, a fully-fit and firing Kerim Frei would be yet another asset for Fulham's attacking talents.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_17795_fulham-focus-cottagers-leave-stamford-bridge-with-creditable-draw.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v Tottenham

By John Motson
BBC Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday, 1 December

TEAM NEWS

Fulham have Kieran Richardson available again, with the 28-year-old now recovered from a hamstring injury.

Alex Kacaniklic and Bryan Ruiz are still out (hamstring), as is Simon Davies (hip), while Brede Hangeland serves out his three-match ban.

Tottenham defender Steven Caulker has overcome illness after missing the midweek win over Liverpool.

Emmanuel Adebayor is still suspended, while Scott Parker, Younes Kaboul, Benoit Assou-Ekotto are injured.

MATCH PREVIEW

Potentially, this is a game where the goals could really flow.

Both teams had a very good midweek result. Tottenham's win over Liverpool was their second on the bounce after three successive defeats, so they have turned the corner again. Fulham's draw at Chelsea was largely overlooked as the spotlight inevitably fell on Rafa Benitez and the Blues' shortcomings, but for the visitors it was an impressive performance.

Though both capital clubs are in relatively good shape, the form book favours the north-east Londoners - Spurs have won the last five Premier League meetings, although Fulham did beat them 4-0 at Craven Cottage in the 2011 FA Cup fourth round.

I covered Tottenham's victory at Craven Cottage last season, a 3-1 November win when Harry Redknapp was in hospital recovering from heart surgery. Spurs were playing some of their best football for years, and even being talked of as potential title contenders. But their season somewhat fell away soon after. Much has changed since then, of course.

Spurs will have to pay attention to old favourite Dimitar Berbatov. In two seasons at Spurs he scored 46 goals in all competitions and he has not lost against his former club in six outings since leaving. He's also scored 23 goals in his last 27 Premier League starts. His class remains.

On the other hand, Clint Dempsey - now with Spurs but Fulham's record Premier League goal-scorer - has been a little rueful about the circumstances in which he left; he will be desperate to make a mark. This is also Mousa Dembele's first return to Craven Cottage. The match will have a special meaning for all three players.

It will also make Martin Jol's heart beat a little quicker. He took Tottenham to fifth place on two occasions when he was in charge at White Hart Lane, and remains something of a cult hero with the fans there.

And what about in-form Jermaine Defoe? He is on 64 goals for Spurs in his second spell with the club, having scored 64 during his first. He'll be very happy to disturb that nice symmetry on Saturday.

With a host of attacking players to the fore, a goalless draw is unlikely - especially when you consider the number of high-scoring games both clubs have been involved in this season. Allied to that, Spurs have only kept one clean sheet in 14 Premier League games so far.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Tottenham have won the last five Premier League matches between the two clubs.

Fulham last beat Spurs at home in the league in November 2008, winning 2-1 (Harry Redknapp's first loss as Tottenham boss).

Fulham
They have not won for six Premier League games (D4, L2).

Fulham's starting line-up against Chelsea had an average age of 32 years and 32 days, the oldest of any Premier League club for almost three years since Portsmouth in March 2010.

They have lost 50 of 101 London derbies in the Premier League.

Dimitar Berbatov is unbeaten in all six Premier League matches against Tottenham since leaving the club (four wins). He has scored once (in Manchester United's 5-2 home victory in April 2009).

Tottenham
Spurs have conceded in each of their last seven Premier League matches, and kept only one clean sheet all season.

Gareth Bale has been booked three times for simulation since the start of last season - more than any other player in the Premier League during that period.

Tottenham have made more defensive clearances (645) than any other team in the Premier League this season.

Midfielder Tom Huddlestone will be hoping to make his 100th Premier League start for Tottenham.

Clint Dempsey scored 58 league goals for Fulham between 2007-12, making him the club's record Premier League goalscorer.
Mousa Dembele made 62 Premier League appearances for Fulham between 2010-12, scoring five goals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20474725?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Tottenham

Fulham were good value for their point against Chelsea on Wednesday, especially on a night which was all about Rafael Benitez.

To go to Stamford Bridge and restrict the Blues to so few opportunities means you have played well, and Fulham had their own chances as well.

Tottenham, meanwhile, blitzed Liverpool early on in their last game but were hanging on for their win by the end.

I think that is fairly typical of Spurs this season. When they have the ball and they are running at you, they are very dangerous.

But, at the same time, when teams run at them they always seem to fashion opportunities.

In Martin Jol and Dimitar Berbatov, Fulham have two Spurs old boys who will be eager to impress.

I still don't really understand why Spurs got rid of Jol - under him, they finished fifth two seasons running and only missed out on the Champions League in 2006 when the squad had a bout of food poisoning before they lost to West Ham on the final day.

Spurs sacked Jol very quickly despite him doing a good job, and he is doing the same at Fulham. He is a very good manager, and of course he would love to get one over Tottenham on Sunday.

Prediction: 1-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20542027

WhiteJC

Fulham Vs Tottenham: Some things are more important than the result
Spurs have a rare opportunity to right a wrong this Saturday against Fulham. And it is one they must seize.

The football world was appalled recently when Shakhtar Donetsk's Adriano flouted the conventions (if not the laws) of the game by cynically pouncing on of one of those tiresome 'After You, Claude' free kicks, banging the ball in the back of the net and then twirling his waxed moustache in celebration. Disgusting.

It (the football world, remember; think of a world, but marked out in black and white hexagons) was then further outraged when UEFA punished this black-hearted transgression of the spirit of the game (stop giggling) with a paltry one match ban rather than the far more appropriate removal of the testicles.

On Saturday, though, a similar situation will play out. Dimitar Berbatov has, of course, already scored against us in this game. An old-fashioned linear approach to the concepts of time and space means we haven't seen it yet, but he has scored. It is done. The goal exists. Just not in this moment.

So, to save everyone time, to allow our still-dreamy ex-striker to enjoy the moment and, more self-servingly, to give us the time to equalise, the Tottenham team should do the decent thing on Saturady, do what Shakhtar should have done after Adriano's villainous transgression: simply allow the Fulham to kick off, let Berba dribble up to our goal unchallenged and slot home. Personally I'd like to see him drop down onto his tummy and head the ball over the line, schoolboy style.

It's what that game needs. It's what the game demands. And it's a damn site better than him notching a winner in the 93rd minute.

http://spurs-suchsmallportions.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/fulham-vs-tottenham-some-things-are.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+blogspot/ocrgC+(Such+Small+Portions)

WhiteJC

Roberts' England Joy

Fulham youngster Patrick Roberts helped England Under-16s retain the Victory Shield on Thursday night with a 1-0 victory over Scotland.

England entered the match, played at Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium, having already defeated Northern Ireland (5-0) and Wales (1-0). In seeing off Scotland, they made it 12 consecutive Victory Shield titles.

Both teams started well, although it was the hosts that saw the better chances, with Roberts forcing the Scotland goalkeeper into a smart low save and seeing another effort cleared off the line as the visitors showed their resilience.

Further chances fell England's way after the break, while Scotland, too, had chances to find a breakthrough. However, with the game heading into injury time, Giorgio Rasulo popped up with a confident late finish to hand England the victory.

Academy Director Huw Jennings, who watched Roberts' performance, said: "It's great to see our players in action on the international stage. They have to meet expectations in a different environment and Patrick has done that.

"This was only his second cap, so it's very pleasing for him personally to be involved in a game like that. He played well, and could well have scored. This was a nice moment for him and he will have benefited enormously."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/30/roberts-england-joy?

WhiteJC

Hangeland missing for Cottagers

Fulham will be without the suspended Brede Hangeland and injured trio Alex Kacaniklic, Kieran Richardson and Bryan Ruiz against Spurs.

Hangeland serves the second of a three-match suspension, meaning boss Martin Jol is likely to stick with the same defence that kept a clean sheet in midweek against Chelsea.

Kacaniklic, Richardson and Ruiz are all sidelined with respective hamstring complaints and will miss out on Spurs' visit to Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Striker Mladen Petric is pushing for a recall and could replace Hugo Rodallega in the starting XI.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/hangeland-missing-for-cottagers-1509353.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with potential free agent

Fulham are reportedly weighing up a move for keeper Paul Robinson, who may be allowed to leave Blackburn as a free agent in January.

Reports suggest Robinson has been left questioning his future at Ewood Park due to Blackburn's pursuit of Brad Friedel.

Rovers are keen to bring Friedel back to Ewood Park in a player/coach role, and the American is prepared to leave Spurs after losing his place in the starting XI to Hugo Lloris.

It has been reported that Rovers will allow Robinson to depart on a free transfer in January in order to facilitate a move for Friedel, despite the fact he has been an ever-present in the Championship this season.

Fulham have been credited with an interest in Robinson, as current number one Mark Schwarzer is 40-years-old and boss Martin Jol is keen to line-up a successor to the Australian.

Fulham number two David Stockdale is currently on loan at Hull City and recently revealed he expects to succeed Schwarzer when he hangs up his gloves, but the Cottagers have been linked with Robinson regardless.

Jol will face competition for the Rovers stopper if he does decide to make a move in January as West Ham and West Brom are also thought to be keen.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/fulham-linked-with-potential-free-agent-1509360.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Tottenham: Fans set for London derby goal-fest
AVB's record in such matches, however, points to the scores ending tied at the Cottage

November looks to have ended too soon for Tottenham who finally seemed to be coming to terms with what had previously been a torrid month for them.

Two successive home wins softened the blow of five failures to get the job done in six attempts, a run which saw them thumped in the north London derby and crash out of the Capital One Cup. They now sit three points outside of the Champions League spots and can be backed at 13/10 to beat Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Andre Villas Boas' record in derby matches since he traded the Portuguese top flight for the English equivalent, however, is something that detracts value from this price.

Spurs' win over West Ham last weekend represented just the second time AVB had got the better of a London rival in the league in eight attempts; his only two victories coming at home.

This should inspire confidence in those who fancy Martin Jol and Dimitar Berbatov to get one over on their former employers at 2/1, but considering the fact that they've not won in any of their last six outings this bet isn't advisable.

Backing over 2.5 goals to be scored at 4/6 isn't exactly edge of your seat stuff but is a far safer option.

Fulham have not failed to score in front of their own fans in this campaign and only one home game has fallen short of the 2.5 mark, while each of Spurs' away matches yielded enough goals for this bet to cop.

Spurs have emerged from their previous two jaunts to the Cottage victorious, but Fulham had gone undefeated in the eight preceding renewals.

They showed great character to get a point at Stamford Bridge last time out and will fancy their chances of at least repeating the feat here. For this reason, backing the draw with over 2.5 goals scored at a massive 17/2 is the recommended punt.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/fulham-v-tottenham-fans-set-for-london-derby-goal-fest_125472.html

WhiteJC

Davis keen on keeping Lauri

STEVE Davis admits he's tempted to thrash out a long-term deal to keep loan sensation Lauri Dalla Valle at the Alexandra Stadium.

The Finnish Under-21 international has played a huge part in Crewe's upturn in form over recent weeks.

LDV struck twice in a four-minute second-half blitz to sink free-falling Crawley Town and lift the Alex towards mid-table, last Saturday.

That's four goals in five games for the striker who comes to the end of his loan spell from Fulham next weekend.

"Lauri came with that tag of having potential and he's lived up to it," said Davis.

"He works tirelessly to get opportunities in a game and wears centre-halves out because he doesn't stop running.

"He's got that instinct that good goal scorers have.

"We have Max (Clayton) back and AJ (Leitch-Smith) is getting close.

"But he sounds keen to be here beyond his initial loan so we'll sit down and look at the options."

Dalla Valle and new loan recruit Brad Inman have permission to play in both Saturday's FA Cup second round tie against Burton and the JPT clash with Doncaster (Tuesday).

The 20-year-old midfielder made the bench against Crawley after arriving from Newcastle for a one-month stint.

Davis believes Crewe face a tough prospect facing League Two Albion with former Alex players Calvin Zola and Lee Bell within their ranks.

"I'm sure they're relishing the opportunity to play against us," he added.

"Burton are in a good position in the league and had a good season under Gary (Rowett).

"It's not going to be a walk over, they're a team that have had good results with dangerous players.

"But we want to progress and give ourselves the chance of drawing a big club in the third round.

"I'll put out the strongest team I can to win both games."

Kelvin Mellor and Leitch-Smith are unlikely to figure in either game at the Alexandra Stadium although Michael West (calf) could after returning to full training.

Meanwhile Davis is confident the future of keeper Alan Martin and his own will be resolved imminently.

The in-form stopper's six-month deal expires at the end of December "I've spoke to Alan's agent who came back with a different offer but don't think there will be too many problems," he continued.

"Alan has been playing very well and it's up to him to secure his future.

"Mine's close and it's now with the solicitor.

"It's just a question of looking over it and putting pen to paper which I'm very pleased about."

http://www.creweguardian.co.uk/sport/lex/10082262._/?