watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - The Blitz

Started by The Equalizer, December 07, 2012, 12:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I never went there myself but if it was good enough for Steve Strange...

sipwell

Quote from: Berserker on December 08, 2012, 09:25:59 PM
Do you do archealogy Sipwell? I went on a trip with the Imperial War museum and some Belgium archeaologists who were working on the A19 project, they were excavating at Cross Roads farm

No, in the end not. I was briefly contemplating to do some volunteer work for WWI archaeology and I met some of the fellows working there. My friend does work on WWI though, but in Antwerp.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

The Doctor

Quote from: YankeeJim on December 08, 2012, 11:26:34 PM
Got my copy of "Smithsonian" magazine in todays mail. In it there is an article about a prof who is used GIS (Geographic Info System) to determine certain events that occured during the battle of Gettysburg in 1863. Her name is Anne Kelly Knowles. GIS is a system that combines factual data, terrain & mapping to provide a visual anaylsis of events.
Check this out:

http://www.esri.com/what-is-gis

I suspect a version of that might have been in use creating the site that is the topic of this thread.

That's exactly what will have been used, Jim.  The course I referred to in my previous post in this thread was a GIS course.  I use GIS on a daily basis in my job - it's amazing how powerful such a simple tool can be, and how quickly you come to take it for granted

Peabody

We lived in a basement in Chancellors Road, which is not far from Hammersmith Broadway, those of you who know it will know that on the Peabody side are some relatively new houses. We lived in Number 14 and most of that side was destroyed by a bomb. As the houses were divided into flats, there were no shelters. So my Mother, Sister and I were sheltering under an old table in the basement (my Dad was on night work) when it hit. My Mum tells the tale of an on leave sailor, with no shoes on, digging the three of us out. My Dad, when he returned from work, was devastated when he turned the corner on Fulham Palace Road to see the whole road destroyed. On another point, Charing Cross Hospital was then the Fulham Workhouse and we had to spend a few nights there, until we could go up to Liverpool to stay with my Grandmother.

The Equalizer

Thank you all for sharing these stories, and thank you Rupert for a bit of knowledge that I only knew very vaguely before.

When you think of the wars, people generally think only of the brave fight of the soldiers and pilots who risked their lives to protect their home. The bravery of the people who lived and worked in London, and the other areas that were bombed during the war, seems to be overlooked sometimes. I can only try to imagine the fear that people went through as they sat in their homes, simply not knowing if their house was the next to be hit. It's incredible strength and resilience from a generation, and we should all try to remember that.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc