more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (08/12/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 08, 2012, 04:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

FULHAM v Newcastle: Hangeland returns from ban with Kacaniklic also in frame

Fulham can welcome back captain Brede Hangeland for Monday's Premier League clash with Newcastle.

The Norway international has been suspended for the past three matches after being sent off against Sunderland and is likely to return in defence, while Alex Kacaniklic is back after a hamstring injury.

Seeing red: Brede Hangeland was sent off in the defeat against Sunderland

Bryan Ruiz faces a further month on the sidelines with a hamstring complaint of his own, while right-back Sascha Riether has to overcome a minor knee sprain if he is to feature at Craven Cottage.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Riether, Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Sidwell, Dejagah, Diarra, Baird, Karagounis, Kacaniklic, Richardson, Kasami, Duff, Rodallega, Petric, Berbatov.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2244463/FULHAM-v-Newcastle-Brede-Hangeland-returns-ban-Alex-Kacaniklic-frame.html#ixzz2EQqBkHwA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Newcastle injury woe easing ahead of Fulham trip

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew could have several of his big guns back from injury for Monday night's Barclays Premier League trip to Fulham.

Pardew, who made nine changes for last night's 2-0 Europa League defeat in Bordeaux, was expecting full-back David Santon (groin), midfielders Cheick Tiote, Hatem Ben Arfa (both hamstring) and Gabriel Obertan (toe) and striker Demba Ba (also hamstring) to train today, while Jonas Gutierrez (knee) is in line to resume on Sunday.

That would leave Steven Taylor (hamstring) and Yohan Cabaye (groin surgery) on the long-term casualty list, but would represent a significant improvement for Pardew, who admitted the 20 players he took to France were the only fit ones he had.

Provisional squad: Krul, Elliot, Harper, Simpson, Santon, Ferguson, Tavernier, Coloccini, Williamson, Perch, Tiote, Anita, Bigirimana, Gutierrez, Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Obertan, Ba, Cisse, Shola Ameobi, Ranger.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-injury-woe-easing-ahead-of-fulham-trip-8392644.html

WhiteJC

Jol makes plans to cover for Diarra during Nations Cup

Fulham boss Martin Jol has revealed he is making plans to cover for Mahamadou Diarra, who is set to play for Mali in next year's Africa Cup of Nations.

The 31-year-old midfielder is expected to be picked by new Eagles' coach Patrice Carteron for the 19 January-10 February tournament in South Africa.

And that means he could miss up to five Premier League matches.

"We'll look to strengthen the squad because if Diarra goes I can do nothing about it," said Jol.

"As it is now he will go to the African Nations Cup."

The former Lyon and Real Madrid midfielder moved to Craven Cottage in February as a free agent after being without a club for eight months because of persistent knee injuries.

Despite a year's absence, he returned to captain Mali in their 3-0 qualifying win over Botswana in September but picked up another injury that ruled him out for six weeks.

"He was out for two years because he had a very bad injury," said Jol. "He had to go back to Lyon without a contract and then I took him.

"It was not only that he didn't play for a club, he didn't play for his country as well. But you can't keep them back because they are proud to play for their country."

Diarra, who has won 64 caps for Mali, joined Fabio Capello's Madrid in 2006 for £20m from Lyon. He helped them win La Liga in his first season but an injury on international duty in October 2008 began a catalogue of problems that culminated with his departure to Monaco last January.

An ill-fated spell ended when they were relegated at the end of that season but Jol is delighted he took the chance to snap him up on a deal until the end of this season.

"He was so good for me last year because a lot of older players left the club. He changed the dressing room," said Jol.

"I can remember him when he was 18 he was a revelation. He started in Crete and then came to Holland with Vitesse.

"There won't be a lot of players in Europe who will stay at Real Madrid for five years so that is how good he is.

"It was a gamble because he was 30 so it's important to keep him fit.

"He's getting fitter but he had a setback earlier in the season and had to have an operation, which I thought was quite bad," Jol added.

"But after three or four weeks he was back on the pitch again. Two weeks later I couldn't play him against Arsenal but last week he was ok, although he felt it afterwards because he is not getting any younger."

However, the Dutchman does not plan to discuss a new contract with Diarra for a few months.

He said: "If you do it now, you don't know what is going to happen. Maybe he will be out for the next five months and it will cost a lot of money.

"We have got the time and I don't think he will move to another club."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20639263?

WhiteJC

Fulham Focus - Ruiz injury blow hits Cottagers hopes

The news that Fulham's Bryan Ruiz will be out of action until the New Year with his hamstring injury might not be of great significance to some football observers. Indeed, the Costa Rican has not enjoyed the most distinguished of spells in England to date since his big-money move to the Cottagers from FC Twente in August 2011.

However, most Fulham fans will today be cursing their luck that one of their best, most improved and most inventive players this season, will now be ruled out of action for a crucial period due to an injury picked up on international duty.

After scoring only two goals in a disappointing, injury-hit campaign last season, much more was expected by both Cottagers' supporters and manager Martin Jol from the man who was once being touted around Europe's top clubs after almost single-handedly delivering Steve McClaren's Twente side the Dutch title ahead of heavyweights Ajax and PSV Eindhoven.

While this season may have started slowly once more, Ruiz exploded as Fulham did in October and early November with some sparkling displays and fantastic long-range strikes against Reading and Everton. Indeed, his performance in tandem with Dimitar Berbatov at the Emirates in the Cottagers' dramatic 3-3 draw with Arsenal gave rise to rave reviews from Jol, supporters and pundits alike.

Thus, with the Cottagers lacking a win since mid-October, without even a goal since mid-November and both their form and league position rapidly deteriorating, Ruiz's absence for potentially the next five league matches at least could prove to be a monumental blow for the West Londoners.

The 27-year-old undoubtedly has his faults. His work-rate, much like Berbatov's, can leave much to be desired while his lack of physicality can often hinder him in the rough and tumble of the Premier League, particularly away from home. However, when at Craven Cottage and particularly when on the ball, Ruiz has that all-important ability and technique to conjure something out of absolutely nothing and win a match almost on his own.

With three of Fulham's next five Premier League games coming at home against Newcastle, Southampton and Swansea, Ruiz is exactly the sort of player Fulham need for those occasions.

Additionally his partnership with Berbatov, while not initially appearing to be the perfect match in terms of both their languid styles on and off the ball, had begun to pay dividends with both Reading and then Arsenal simply not being able to control the talents of the two maverick forwards.

In Ruiz's absence, Jol can call upon the likes of Mladen Petric and Hugo Rodallega in reserve, two strikers of contrasting abilities, with Petric more in the creative Ruiz-mould and Rodallega a more conventional striker. The Dutchman will need both to firmly step up to the mark in the coming weeks if Fulham are to overcome Ruiz's absence and rise up the table once more.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_17909_fulham-focus-ruiz-injury-blow-hits-cottagers-hopes.html

WhiteJC

Martin Jol: We'll end goal drought in Newcastle showdown

Martin Jol has refused to condemn his goal-shy Fulham side and is backing them to end a run of seven games without a win against Newcastle at Craven Cottage on Monday.

It is two minutes short of five hours since Fulham scored their last Premier League goal, in the 3-1 loss at home against Sunderland on November 18. Since then they have failed to score in defeats against Stoke and Spurs and in a draw at Chelsea.

Fulham were sixth in the table earlier in the season but now languish in 13th place, just five points off the relegation zone and level with a Newcastle team boosted by Monday's 3-0 win over Wigan.

But Jol (above) pointed to the eight goals in three games Fulham bagged before the Sunderland set-back and claimed that the goals will flow again just as long as his players keep making chances.

"We are good enough to come up with a solution," he said. "Against Sunderland, before Brede Hangeland's red card, we were the better team. Even in the first half against Spurs we had three of four chances, more chances than they had, and we had more attempts.

"We couldn't believe the 3-0 scoreline after that match. We spoke about it with the players and we feel that we will be fine. But we have to work hard. We have to pick ourselves up and pick up some points."

Although midfield playmaker Bryan Ruiz suffered a new injury blow this week and will be out until after Christmas, Jol is looking for the return of Kieran Richardson and Alex Kacaniklic to boost his side against Newcastle.

But he is saying farewell to 32-year-old Czech international defender Zdenek Grygera. The former Ajax and Juventus star is set to quit the game after failing to recover from a ligament rupture sustained against Spurs 13 months ago in addition to battling hip and back complaints.

Jol said: "He doesn't want to end up in a wheelchair. That is actually what he said.

"He is exaggerating a bit but I know what he means. He thought it was a good idea to call it a day. It is a shame. He is an unbelievable character."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/martin-jol-well-end-goal-drought-in-newcastle-showdown-8392646.html

WhiteJC

Congolese ace not impressed by interest from Tottenham and Fulham

Anderlecht striker Dieumerci Mbokani has reiterated his desire to finish the season with Anderlecht, until and unless a dream offer comes in. The 27–year old said to sporza.be : "Unless an exceptional offer arrives in January, I will remain here until the end of the season," thus making his stance clear. This would surely come as a setback to potential suitors Tottenham and Fulham as they hunt for a new striker.

The Congolese striker has been in good touch at Anderlecht, scoring 22 goals in 35 games for the club. The return looks much better considering the trials and tribulations Mbokani had to face in the personal front in 2011 when his five months old son died of cardiac arrest. The striker also has his grounding in European football's top leagues, having played for Standard Liege, Monaco in France and Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga.

Both Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham are beset with striker worries in the 2012-13 Premiership season. While Tottenham are struggling to find an able partner for Jermaine Defoe, Fulham lost a raft of playmakers (ironically to Tottenham) and the injury to Bryan Ruiz has made matters more complicated. Not known to be clubs willing to pay through the roof for plyers, both clubs would now look forward to alternate options, options that do not need a huge payout.

http://footylatest.com/congolese-ace-not-impressed-by-interest-from-tottenham-and-fulham/36867?

WhiteJC

Newcastle boosted by return of six for Fulham clash

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew could have several of his big guns back from injury for Monday night's Barclays Premier League trip to Fulham.

Pardew, who made nine changes for last night's 2-0 Europa League defeat in Bordeaux, was expecting full-back David Santon (groin), midfielders Cheick Tiote, Hatem Ben Arfa (both hamstring) and Gabriel Obertan (toe) and striker Demba Ba (also hamstring) to train today, while Jonas Gutierrez (knee) is in line to resume on Sunday.

That would leave Steven Taylor (hamstring) and Yohan Cabaye (groin surgery) on the long-term casualty list, but would represent a significant improvement for Pardew, who admitted the 20 players he took to France were the only fit ones he had.

Provisional squad: Krul, Elliot, Harper, Simpson, Santon, Ferguson, Tavernier, Coloccini, Williamson, Perch, Tiote, Anita, Bigirimana, Gutierrez, Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Obertan, Ba, Cisse, Shola Ameobi, Ranger.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/newcastle_boosted_by_return_of_six_for_fulham_clash_1_1734818

WhiteJC

Fulham v Newcastle United: Squad sheets

Considering Fulham's impressive home record against Newcastle, Martin Jol may well see the visit of Alan Pardew's side as a timely one given his side's recent poor form. Fulham have found goals hard to come by of late and with the news that Bryan Ruiz will be out until the new year, Jol is relying heavily on Dimitar Berbatov and Mladen Petric to score for them. Newcastle, despite a 3-0 win over Wigan on Monday, have not been in great form either and travel to Craven Cottage still looking for their first away win this season. Declan Olley

Venue Craven Cottage

Tickets £20-£60 (0843 208 1234)

Last season Fulham 5 Newcastle 2

Referee Lee Mason

This season's matches 9 Y29, R0, 3.22 cards per game

Odds Fulham 10-11 Newcastle 14-5 Draw 5-2

Fulham v Newcastle United: Probable starters in bold, contenders in light.
Photograph: Graphic

Fulham

Subs from Etheridge, Kelly, Senderos, Dejagah, Baird, Karagounis, Banga, Kacaniklic, Kasami, Frei, Rodallega

Doubtful Riether (knee)

Injured Ruiz (hamstring, Jan), Davies (hip, Feb)

Suspended None

Form guide LDLLDD

Disciplinary record Y13 R1

Leading scorer Berbatov 5

Newcastle Utd

Subs from Elliot, Ferguson, Williamson, Bigirimana, Marveuax, Abeid, Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi, Ranger, Obertan, Amalfitano, Tavernier

Doubtful None Injured Cabaye (groin, Feb), S Taylor (hamstring, Feb), R Taylor (knee, Aug), Vuckic (knee, Aug), Gosling, (knee, unknown)

Suspended None Form guide WLLLLD

Disciplinary record Y29 R2

Leading scorer Ba 10

Match pointers

• Fulham have lost only one of their last six Premier League matches against Newcastle and won all of the last three at Craven Cottage

• Fulham substitutes have contributed seven goals this term – only Manchester City's have been as productive

• Demba Ba has become the first Newcastle player to score more than 10 goals in consecutive Premier League seasons since Alan Shearer did so nine years ago

• Martin Jol's side have gone seven games without a league win – their worst spell within a single season since December 2010

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/07/fulham-newcastle-united-squad-sheets?

WhiteJC

Brede Hangeland relishing return from suspension against Newcastle
Fulham captain missed three games - with Fulham failing to win any of them

Fulham captain Brede Hangeland cannot wait to return to action on Monday after the unusual experience of watching on from the sidelines.

The 31-year-old has barely missed a game for the Whites since joining the club as a relative unknown from FC Copenhagen nearly five years ago.

The Norway international has been unavailable for the past three matches through suspension, with the Cottagers only managing to collect a single point in his absence.

Hangeland, though, is confident of a return to winning ways when Newcastle visit SW6 on Monday night.

"It's been a new and frustrating experience to be away from games for a few weeks so I can't wait to get back," he told the club's official website, http://www.fulhamfc.com.

"I'm used to playing all the games. I've missed a few games but that's been when I was rested or possibly been injured for one game.

"It's been unusual and it's not something that I want to experience again. I want to get back playing as soon as possible.

"I think any game we play is going to be tight and we know that we can win on a good day and lose on a bad day.

"I expect it to be a hard-fought game again on Monday night under the floodlights. It will be tight but hopefully we can edge it.

"I think we've had a bad spell lately and we've gone too long since our last win and we need to get back on track as soon as possible and play the type of football that we know we're capable of doing and I'm hopeful that we can do that on Monday."

Hangeland has been one of the key talking points at Fulham of late as contract negotiations roll on.

The defender's current deal runs out at the end of the campaign, but reports have suggested a new one will be penned imminently and manager Martin Jol remains confident he will commit his future to the club.

"It only depends on a decision so if Brede says yes it is okay," the Fulham boss said. "If he says no, then we have to wait, talk and negotiate.

"I will ask Alistair [Mackintosh, chief executive officer] what the situation is after the game [against Newcastle] again.

"I am confident he will sign because he loves it here. He is a Fulham player.

"We took him from Scandinavia and I think he loves it here and we offered him a good contract."

Hangeland's return is a welcome boost for Jol, who can also call upon Alex Kacaniklic for Monday's game.

However, Bryan Ruiz faces a further month on the sidelines with a hamstring injury and right-back Sascha Riether has to overcome a minor knee sprain if he is to feature against Newcastle.

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/brede-hangeland-relishing-return-from-suspension-against-newcastle-8393179.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol confident Brede Hangeland will sign new deal

Brede Hangeland: Expected to sign a contract extension at Fulham

Martin Jol is convinced that Brede Hangeland is happy at Fulham and expects the defender to commit his future to the club.

Hangeland's current contract expires at the end of the season and the Cottagers have been talking to him for some time about a possible extension.

Jol hopes to be given an update after Monday's match against Newcastle United and has no worries about losing the Norwegian.

"It only depends on a decision so if Brede says yes it is okay," the Fulham boss said. "If he says no, then we have to wait, talk and negotiate.

"I will ask Alistair [Mackintosh, chief executive officer] what the situation is after the game [against Newcastle] again.

"I am confident he will sign because he loves it here. He is a Fulham player.

"We took him from Scandinavia and I think he loves it here and we offered him a good contract."

Hangeland will return from suspension for the clash with the Magpies at Craven Cottage after being sent off against Sunderland.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8316068?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Newcastle United: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Newcastle United at Craven Cottage on Monday Dec 10 2012, kick-off 20:00 GMT.

Back at the back: Brede Hangeland returns after missing three games through suspension following this
Photo: AP

Monday, December 10
Fulham v Newcastle United
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 20.00 GMT.
TV: Live Sky Sports 1.

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-2): Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise; Dejagah, Sidwell, Diarra, Frei; Petric, Berbatov.
Out: Davies (hip), Ruiz (hamstring).
Test: Riether (knee).

Newcastle (Possible, 4-4-2): Krul; Simpson, Colocinni, Williamson, Santon; Anita, Marveaux, Tiote, Gutierrez; Ba, Cissé.
Out: Cabaye (groin), Gosling (ankle), R Taylor (knee), S Taylor (hamstring), Vuckic (knee).
Tests: Santon (groin), Tiote, Ben Arfa, Ba (all hamstring), Obertan (toe), Gutiérrez (knee).

Referee: Lee Mason (Matches 9, R0 Y29)

Team News
Fulham can welcome back captain Brede Hangeland for Monday's Premier League game with Newcastle.

The Norway international has been suspended for the past three matches after being sent off against Sunderland and is likely to return in defence, while Alex Kacaniklic is back after a hamstring injury.

Bryan Ruiz faces a further month on the sidelines with a hamstring complaint of his own, while right-back Sascha Riether has to overcome a minor knee sprain if he is to feature at Craven Cottage.

Meanwhile, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew could have several of his big guns back from injury for Monday night's trip to Fulham.

Pardew, who made nine changes for Thursday night's 2-0 Europa League defeat in Bordeaux, expects full-back David Santon, midfielders Cheick Tiote, Hatem Ben Arfa and Gabriel Obertan and striker Demba Ba to train ahead of the fixture, while Jonas Gutierrez is in line to resume on Sunday.

Match Notes
Fulham have won five of their last six home matches against Newcastle, including each of the last three, though they have not won in their last seven Premier League games, taking just four points from a possible 21.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew celebrates two years in charge this weekend but his team has not won away in the league this season, with just four points gained on the road.

Betting: Home 19-20, Away 13-5, Draw 5-2.

Stat of the game: Fulham have gone 298 minutes (more than three games) without a goal.

Gerry Cox's prediction: Fulham 2 Newcastle United 2.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9724945/Fulham-v-Newcastle-United-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

Christmas Delivery

The cut-off dates for guaranteed delivery ahead of Christmas are fast approaching! Check below to make sure you don't miss out:
               UK                    Europe              Rest of World
Standard   14th December   10th December   10th December
Express    16th December    12th December   N/A

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/december/07/delivery?

WhiteJC

Mason In The Middle At Fulham

By Anthony Marshall - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Lee Mason will take charge of Newcastle United's Barclays Premier League fixture against Fulham at Craven Cottage on Monday night.

It is the first time this season that the 41-year-old has been appointed to a match involving the Magpies.

However, he was the man in the middle of this fixture last term, when Newcastle had a first-half lead but ended up on the wrong end of a 5-2 scoreline.

On that January afternoon, Mason awarded Fulham two penalties and booked four players - Davide Santon, Danny Guthrie, Danny Simpson and Tim Krul.

In total this season the Lancashire-based official has taken charge of 13 games, issuing 51 yellow cards and no reds.

Mason began refereeing in 1988, and after working his way up through the leagues, took charge of his first of his first Football League match in August 2002 - a Division Three fixture between Shrewsbury and Exeter.

He was appointed to the Premier League in 2006, and his top flight bow came in February of that year when Middlesbrough suffered a 4-0 home defeat at the hands of Aston Villa.

On Monday at Craven Cottage, Mason will be assisted Dave Bryan and Simon Long, with Anthony Taylor the game's fourth official.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20121207/mason-in-the-middle-at-fulham_2281670_3003198?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol expects team to start firing

Fulham manager Martin Jol believes that his side are capable of finding the back of the net against Newcastle United on Monday.

The Cottagers face the North-East side while sitting 13th in the league table, despite lingering in sixth for the first period of the campaign. However, Jol believes that they can overcome their slump, which started in their 3-1 defeat to Sunderland.

"We are good enough to come up with a solution," said Jol. "Against Sunderland, before Brede Hangeland's red card, we were the better team. Even in the first half against Spurs we had three of four chances, more chances than they had, and we had more attempts.

"We couldn't believe the 3-0 scoreline after that match. We spoke about it with the players and we feel that we will be fine. But we have to work hard. We have to pick ourselves up and pick up some points."

Fulham are just five points away from the relegation zone.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/jol-expects-rejuvenated-team_58328.html

WhiteJC

Keeping goalkeeper David Stockdale a top priority for Hull City

STEVE Bruce admits he would "love" the opportunity to turn David Stockdale's loan into a permanent transfer in January, but the Hull City boss remains uncertain if Fulham will be open to offers.

Stockdale has made an excellent start to his short-term spell at the KC Stadium, conceding just one goal from open play in his three starts as goalkeeper.

The 27-year-old is currently due to return to Craven Cottage on January 2, where he still has another two-and-a-half years to run on his Fulham contract, a move that would push the Tigers back into the transfer market after the turn of the year.

Speculation has suggested Stockdale will be allowed to leave Martin Jol's side for the right price, and City would head the chase for his signature as they look to end a protracted search for a permanent number one.

Bruce makes no attempt to mask his admiration for Stockdale ahead of handing him a fourth consecutive start at Watford today, but the City boss is still waiting to learn if a permanent deal is even possible.

"I'd love to have a conversation with Fulham to try and keep him if we possibly could," Bruce told the Mail.

"I couldn't tell you if that was possible at this stage because we've not had the conversation, but it's something we'd be keen on.

"He's got a real big presence about him as a goalkeeper. He's calm and he kicks the ball fantastically well.

"It's been a wonderful start for him here and just what he needs, the kid needs to be playing games.

"He's enjoying it and has his family roots just up the road in Leeds. Long may it continue. It's an important position for us and he's given us plenty of assurance there."

Stockdale has become the fifth different goalkeeper loaned from the Premier League in the last three seasons, joining Vito Mannone, Brad Guzan, Peter Gulacsi and Ben Amos in a long list of temporary servants.

A lack of form from Amos and uncertainty over summer signing Eldin Jakupovic forced Bruce to land Stockdale two weeks ago, but it is a habit he is desperate to kick.

"It's fair to say that we need a number one goalkeeper that's going to be our number one for at least two or three years," Bruce added.

"I'll hold my hands up and say I didn't really do enough in the summer to address the problem with a long-term answer.

"But sometimes as a Championship manager it's not quite like being in the Premier League, you have to work the loan market."

Today's counterpart, Watford boss Gianfranco Zola, can certainly empathise.

Since being handpicked by new Watford owner Giampaolo Pozzo as a summer replacement for Sean Dyche, the former Chelsea and Italy playmaker has been allowed to recruit 14 players on loan this season.

Football League rules stipulate there are no limits to the figure of foreign loan deals, and with the majority of their signings hailing from Udinese and Granada, Pozzo's Italian and Spanish clubs, only six of the 14 players used in Watford's 4-1 win over Barnsley last weekend belong at Vicarage Road.

Bruce, who currently has five loan signings of his own, offered no complaints, though, and said: "We can't grumble about it. We all have to take advantage of the loan market when we can.

"They're not breaking any rules. We've got a good few loan players and you can only play 11 at any time."

The battle of sixth versus fifth will see both sides adopt a 3-5-2 shape at Vicarage Road, a formation that has inspired a breathless march up the table from Watford.

Five wins and two draws from their last seven games has seen the Hornets plunder 20 goals and Bruce is pleased to see Zola thriving.

Bruce added: "Everything about Zola is a class act. I've met him on a couple of occasions and he's a pleasure to be around. He lit up the Premier League as a player and although he found it difficult at West Ham, he's showing a lot of promise as a young coach. It will be tough, no question."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/story-17532062-detail/story.html?

WhiteJC

Brede's Kit Handout

Fulham FC Captain, Brede Hangeland, visited lucky pupils from St. Mary's Catholic Primary School in Wimbledon this week, as part of the Premier League Players' Kit Scheme. Hangeland, the Club ambassador for the project, was on hand to personally deliver the 20 new football kits that were donated as part of the partnership between the Premier League, PFA and Fulham FC Foundation.

The children, both boys and girls from Years 4 & 5, were delighted to hear that they had been chosen to have a yellow football kit, based around their school colour, donated by the Premier League and given out by a Fulham FC player.

The Premier League Players' Kit Scheme sees all Premier League players donating kit and equipment to junior teams. Every Premier League squad player donates £1,000 to provide a fund of £500,000 used entirely towards funding the kits, with an overall aim of allowing local junior teams the chance to positively connect with the Premier League and its players, and assisting football at a grassroots level.

The event saw Brede Hangeland take part in a Q&A with the pupils from St. Mary's, answering some tough questions and then greeting them individually whilst handing out signed photos with their kit.

St. Mary's Catholic Primary School was picked from the many that Fulham FC Foundation serves in the local area, due to its continued partnership with the Club. The Foundation has been working with the school for a number of years, delivering over 10 sessions each week. This opportunity was awarded to the school when the Official Schools Partner scheme came into play this year. The scheme aims to build stronger relationships with the schools that Fulham FC Foundation work alongside, and to thank them for their ongoing support and commitment.

Brede Hangeland commented:

"I was lucky enough to hand our kit to children from St. Mary's School in Wimbledon and it has been a real pleasure. We are really lucky to be on top of the tree in football and we should always remember our grassroots level so, to be able to give something back, we are more than happy to do."

For more information on the Official Schools Partner scheme or to find out more information on your school working with Fulham FC Foundation, please call 0870 442 5432 or visit www.fulhamfc.com

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/december/08/bredes-kit-handout?

WhiteJC

Perfect Pro

Martin Jol welcomes Brede Hangeland back to his matchday squad for Monday's (8pm) showdown with Newcastle United at the Cottage, admitting he is delighted to have his Captain available once more.

"He brings consistency to the side," Jol explained. "He plays all the games; I can't remember him being injured so he's always there and he's always available.

"I remember last season when we played the qualification matches [for the UEFA Europa League] and I told Brede that maybe it's better to rest him but he didn't want to do that and we played so many games before we even started the league.

"He wanted to play all these games so he's a very good professional and I think he's brought a lot to this Club. He's also an easy person to get on with and he's a perfect pro."

Fulham's back four had been relatively unchanged throughout the season but the Whites may be without Sascha Riether on Monday after the German picked up a knee injury against Tottenham Hotspur.

The right-back has been a revelation since his loan switch from FC Cologne but Jol insists that if he doesn't recover in time for the visit of the Magpies, he will have no qualms about starting Stephen Kelly.

"I spoke to Stephen about the situation at the start of the season," he said. "He really thought he did well [last season] and I have to admit that he was right.

"Sascha has gone from strength to strength and got better and better but Stephen has worked hard too and kept quiet. The only disadvantage is that when he comes in he lacks a bit of rhythm. But he is fit even though he has not played a lot of games over the last three or four months."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/december/08/a-perfect-pro?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Bryan Ruiz: Interesting stats

Bryan Ruiz is going to be missing for Fulham until the middle of January, and that's a big problem for Martin Jol – and it's not a coincidence that his side have been sliding down the table since the Costa Rican limped off against Sunderland.

Few outside the Fulham fanbase appreciate the qualities which Ruiz has, so here are some statistics:

– From 9 Premier League matches, Ruiz has two goals and 6 assists.

– He's played 653 minutes in the Premier League this season.

– He averages a goal every 327 minutes.

– Ruiz is joint third on the list of Premier League assists, behind Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez (both 7) and Eden Hazard (8). However, with an average of one assist for every 109 minutes he spends on the pitch, his economy is better than any of those players.

– In the whole of last season (27 games), Ruiz managed only 4 assists – albeit with two more in The FA Cup.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/fulhams-bryan-ruiz-interesting-stats/

WhiteJC

Martin Jol eyes new signings for Fulham during what will be a busy January

Martin Jol will ignore his usual apathy towards the January transfer window to strengthen his Fulham squad next month.

Fulham lost a number of key players including Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele towards the end of the summer window, and injuries have not helped since.

The loss of striker Bryan Ruiz is a big one for the Cottagers and Mahamadou Diarra could be heading to the Africa Cup of Nations next month as well.

"If you would have told me in May that in December Bryan won't be there through injury, Mousa and Clint had gone, I would have thought it would be almost impossible," Jol said.

"Luckily enough we brought in some quality players but they play up front most of the time, like Dimitar Berbatov, Mladen Petric, Ashkan Dejagah and Hugo Rodallega.

"Of course we will always look to strengthen, but the January transfer period is not an ideal one.

"The good players will stay at their clubs or you can't afford them because clubs are asking too much money, but we will come up with something.

"We'll look to strengthen the squad because if Diarra goes I can do nothing about it. As it is now he will go to Africa. He was so good for me last year because a lot of older players left the club. He changed the dressing room.

"I can remember him when he was 18 he was a revelation. He started in Crete and then came to Holland with Vitesse. There won't be a lot of players in Europe who will stay at Real Madrid for five years so that is how good he is.

"It was a gamble because he was 30 so it's important to keep him fit."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8317627?

WhiteJC

Fulham & Sunderland In Tussle to Sign £6.5m Brazilian

Craven Cottage and Stadium of Light sides take an interest in La Liga youngster.

Fulham and Sunderland are locked in a three-way battle with Atletico Madrid to sign Rayo Vallecano starlet Leo Baptistao, according to reports in Spain.

The Brazilian moved to Rayo from his homeland at the age of 16 and made his senior debut last year.
His contract – which expires in 2015 – contains a £6.5m release clause.

SOURCE: talkSPORT

Leo Baptistao was brought in to fill the void left by Michu as he left Rayo Vallecano for Swansea City and young Brazilian has done a marvelous job since stepping up from the Madrid based club's B team to the senior side.

The Sao Paulo born striker has netted six goals and assisted another four thus far this season and is already a firm favourite with the Vallecanos faithful.

There must however be a fear that Baptistao is tempted by a move to join Michu in the Premier League and a £6.5m release clause may well entice a number of side's to take a punt on the young forward. Atletico Madrid's interest could well be in lieu of a possible departure of either Adrian Lopez or Radamel Falcao, both men frequently being linked with moves away from the Vicente Calderon.

Of the two English top tier sides mentioned by this source it's clear that Sunderland are in far more urgent need of new striking options than Fulham. Martin Jol brought in Hugo Rodallega, Mladen Petric and Dimitar Berbatov over the summer and has seen his West London side net 25 goals already this season.

Martin O'Neill's side on the other hand have managed just 13 and have relied upon Steven Fletcher to net six of those.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/12/08/fulham-sunderland-in-tussle-to-sign-6-5m-brazilian/?