News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sods Army - with apology to bog - The old Thamesbank pre stand...

Started by LBNo11, December 13, 2012, 06:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...just seen this on ebay, what memories - not the game, just the view of the old Thamesbank, the flagpoles, the brick hut in the middle where you got scalding hot liquid thinly disguised as Bovril or tea on whose roof the TV cameras were perched...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Peabody

Plus the flags of the second division clubs flags and when we got relegated, we could'nt afford the third division set. Lovely sight.

FFCAli

How about everyone up the top watching the boat race as the game went on behind them?

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: FFCAli on December 14, 2012, 09:47:11 AM
How about everyone up the top watching the boat race as the game went on behind them?

& I remember when turning to watch the boat race row past being concerned I would miss a Fulham goal
No need to worry,it never happened of course - other than the opposing team scoring,our lot were probably half watching the race as well!

No replays,You Tube,etc & rarely on MOTD - the Big Match occassionally (Brian Moore "that lovely little football club down by the Thames" or something like that)

Of course you could always find out the score/scorers in the late issue of the "Enin Stanna" 

LBNo11

...I remember a friendly against Kilmarnock watching the boat race on that very vantage point between the brick 'tea hut' and the Hammersmith End, and here is a photograph from that very match taken by the monochrome maestro himself - Ken Coton:-

BishopsParkFantastic

And listening to the Grand National at the same time - three events in one!

Peabody

Also, being able to watch the game in Bishops Park from the Putney End as well. Blimey, we were a flexible bunch.

epsomraver

Quote from: Peabody on December 13, 2012, 06:52:58 PM
Plus the flags of the second division clubs flags and when we got relegated, we could'nt afford the third division set. Lovely sight.

I think you will find Mr P that we never had the 2nd division flags, after we got demoted  from the first div, Trinder said that he would not buy them as we would not be there for long, he was right, we went straight on down to the third next season!!

Ronnief

I was standing somewhere there.  Not sure I am in the picture but I definately watched both the match and the boat race, distant memories now though.

cebu

Quote from: Peabody on December 14, 2012, 10:58:54 AM
Also, being able to watch the game in Bishops Park from the Putney End as well. Blimey, we were a flexible bunch.

Indeed Mr P ... and sometimes the football in the park wasn't too bad by comparison!   :011:

Delboy

The Fulham flag always stayed in the same place by the middle hut, the teams flag we were playing would be hoisted next to ours. Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe that is Ian Seymour in that old Ken Cotton photo.

LBNo11

...Delboy, you are correct - that is Ian Seymour of Tonbridge...

Holders

Ian Seymour - what a memory! A tragedy that he got his leg broken that finished his career in a nothing match. It was never the same watching the boat race through the gap between Riverside and Hammersmith End. They seem to run it on days when we're away now.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Delboy

Those were the days, as a saucepan we used to stand behind the goal Fulham were attacking, and walk round by the riverside at half time. The monkey nut seller would have your eye out if you weren't on your toes.  :merry christmas:

fulhamborn and proud

just left from where the photo was taken from was where me and the now Mrs would stand,and if she was frozen at half time just stroole down the amme end for the 2nd half,passing the away fans going in the other way.Never any problems ever.

bigalffc

What memories, I can remember as a kid being passed over the heads of the crowd from the front to the back to be with my Dad and sit on his shoulders to watch the boat race go by!
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

keith

Does anyone know what happened to Ian Seymour after his forced retirement?. I have never seen him introduced to the crowd at half-time. I have searced Google, nothing?.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: bigalffc on December 14, 2012, 12:38:24 PM
What memories, I can remember as a kid being passed over the heads of the crowd from the front to the back to be with my Dad and sit on his shoulders to watch the boat race go by!
I assume you were littlealffc then?

FC Silver Fox

What great memories.  Ian Seymour was one of the bravest keepers I've ever seen. In the days when attacks on keepers were considered legitimate, he would never flinch from diving at strikers' feet to recover a ball. Many a time his face was black and blue and I seem to remember him having stitches on more than one occasion.
Anyone know what he is doing these days?
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.