Started by Walsh, December 16, 2012, 07:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walsh

Berbatov

?                  Bryan           ?

?                ?

JAR           ?         ?        Riether

?

I pretty much see all the ? either not ready for 1st team Football or good enough for our first team if we want to be a top 8/10 side.

Who do you think is worthy of being in our starting 11?

JackyFulham90

Diarra has the quality as do Duff & Kaca, Hangeland & Hughes are not the main problem we need a midfielder who can drive at a defence so a partner to Diarra & a Etuhu type player should be our priorities for Jan

Walsh

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on December 16, 2012, 07:12:41 PM
Diarra has the quality as do Duff & Kaca, Hangeland & Hughes are not the main problem we need a midfielder who can drive at a defence so a partner to Diarra & a Etuhu type player should be our priorities for Jan

The reason I haven't put Duff in is because he is getting on a bit now and I'm not 100% sure that Kacaniklic is ready, he has his amazing games and then has his really quiet games, Diarra is top quality but just like Duff he isn't getting any younger, this is also the situation with Schwarzer, when is it time to give Stockdale the nod?

jarv

Sidwell has put in some good performances lately, Diarra is top class, Duff is best option for now. By my count I think that leaves the team short of about 4 players.
Another 2 wins by xmas and all will be well.

JackyFulham90

We need to give Kacaniklic a chance left midfield and when he not having a great game bring on Frei, Duff has plenty to offer and we badly miss Diarra & Ruiz with them both back fit we can get back in the top 10 for sure

For me we need a centre midfielder to partner Diarra, a player who can play that Ruiz role if missing but Berbatov should be upfront with decent service he will make the difference

JackyFulham90

With our current squad our best team is very easy to pick

Schwarzer

Riether Hughes Hangeland Riise

Duff Diarra Sidwell Kacaniklic

Ruiz

Berbatov

When you look at that you feel confident we really are missing Diarra & Ruiz let's hope Diarra is back for Anfield

Apprentice to the Maestro

Probably all our squad are `worthy' if we are to be a mid-table team occasionally looking behind us and having embarrassing results but recovering to a decent position at the end of the season.

If you are asking who are the players who would be part of a team that could be challenging for a top six place then, on the current season's performance, probably only Berbatov, Ruiz and Reither. Most of the rest have shown that ability over long periods in the last few years but have not been as consistent of late: Schwarzer, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise and Duff. Others like Kacaniklic and Frei are young. Petric is class but new. Dejagah is from overseas and new. Rodallega and Richardson have been valuable in weak teams but have yet to show their previous form with us. Sidwell has generally performed better this year. Diarra and Karagounis have quality but are temporary cover.

The trouble is that we, individually and collectively, have been inconsistent. Most annoying we have played well against the likes of Man. Utd., Arsenal and Chelsea but given away results against weak teams like Reading, Southampton and QPR.

To move forward I think that we most need a consistent and commanding central midfield pairing as we had recently with Murphy/Etuhu (but better of course) and Dembele/Diarra. We miss the strong backbone to the team that we have had when we have played at our best. If we get that then many of our current squad could become `worthy' again.  

valdeingruo

Look at it this way, the same squad minus a face or two only 3-4 years ago would tear the league apart. However  what standard are you using. All of our players are good its just theyve had a bad run.

The over reaction to the loss is bad, yes it is a bad run of form, we always get better after Boxing day.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

bill taylors apprentice

This is the team I would select based on who we have now....

Schwarzer#
                     JAR#  Hughes#  Hangerland  Riether
                     Duff#    Diarra#  Sidwell     Kaca*
                                Ruiz   Berbatov

players marked
                   * = worth persevering with        
                   #  = Improvements needed by next season.
Having said that, 2 new quality players could bring the best out of some of the present team negating the need for more changes.

Walsh

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on December 16, 2012, 08:27:40 PM

Schwarzer#
                      JAR#  Hughes#  Hangerland  Riether
                      Duff#    Diarra#  Sidwell     Kaca*
                                 Ruiz   Berbatov

players marked
                    #  = Improvements needed by next season.
Having said that, 2 new quality players could bring the best out of some of the present team negating the need for more changes.

I think Diarra has been class when he plays, it's just that he is getting towards the end of his career and is getting injured quite often. I don't see the problem with JAR, I think he's been decent.

Homo berbatovia

Schwarzer#
                      JAR#  Hughes#  Hangerland  Riether
                      Duff#    Diarra#  Sidwell     Kaca*
                                 Ruiz   Berbatov

players marked
                    #  = Improvements needed by next season.

Playing JAR and Reither at RB and LB respectively is an interesting team selection....

Is it so JAR can cut in on his left cannon and unleash hell on opposition goalkeepers?? There could be a few swollen wrists in the goalkeepers union if this happens

Snibbo

I'd put a # next to Hangeland as well. Either he needs to improve or he needs to leave. And I don't think being captain is helping him or the team. He's not happy with it, and he's not good at it.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Homo berbatovia on December 17, 2012, 02:11:23 AM

Schwarzer#
                     JAR#  Hughes#  Hangerland  Riether
                     Duff#    Diarra#  Sidwell     Kaca*
                                Ruiz   Berbatov

players marked

Playing JAR and Reither at RB and LB respectively is an interesting team selection....

Is it so JAR can cut in on his left cannon and unleash hell on opposition goalkeepers?? There could be a few swollen wrists in the goalkeepers union if this happens
[/qu

School boy error by me, but an interesting idea.  :022:

The Rock

The defence and fwd's are about Top 6. We lost Dempsey and Dembele, and they simply haven't been replaced. That's why we're 13-14 and not 6-7 in the table.

Walsh

Quote from: The Rock on December 17, 2012, 12:24:32 PM
The defence and fwd's are about Top 6. We lost Dempsey and Dembele, and they simply haven't been replaced. That's why we're 13-14 and not 6-7 in the table.

I wouldn't say our defense is far from top 6.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Walsh on December 17, 2012, 06:11:38 PM

I would say our defense is far from top 6.

The defence 3 years ago is top 6, it's just... not 3 years ago any more.

Bryanthebroom

Kaka not good enough away from home.

Richardson's not good enough full stop.

Walsh

Quote from: God The Mechanic on December 17, 2012, 06:13:17 PM
Quote from: Walsh on December 17, 2012, 06:11:38 PM

I would say our defense is far from top 6.

The defence 3 years ago is top 6, it's just... not 3 years ago any more.

Sorry, I was meant to put "wouldn't", I was in a rush. :p

JackyFulham90

Our goalie is in decline but is still a good keeper

A back 4 of Riether Hughes Hangeland Riise is mid table

Midfield of Duff Sidwell Diarra Kacaniklic is mid table

Attack of Ruiz & Berbatov is top 6

We are still a good team but need to strengthen midfield & defence for sure

SaltfordWhite

I don't understand these Football Manager sort of threads, I really don't.