Previous topic - Next topic

Should Stockdale replace Schwarzer?

Yes now
30 (58.8%)
At the end of the season
5 (9.8%)
Never
5 (9.8%)
He should replace Mark sometime in the new year.
11 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

MJG

Stockdale is back at the club, is this now the time to make that GK change?

epsomraver

Yes he deserves a chance, he played well against Liverpool last season, Mark has been doing a lot of travelling and it is starting to show.

Robbie

The problem is that we are getting dragged in. Once we have 40 points, Stockers should be given some games

mccscratch

Quote from: Robbie on December 19, 2012, 06:02:34 PM
The problem is that we are getting dragged in. Once we have 40 points, Stockers should be given some games

If we are on more than 25 after the New Years Day match... I feel we will be safe barring disaster.... I say let him play in the FA Cup match and if he performs.. start him until supplanted again...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

filham

Based on last Saturday's performance tere are10 outfield players who need replacing before the manager considers replacing the keeper.

Bassey the warrior

I think he deserves a chance. Mark is in poor form and his confidence is low.

MJG

MasterHaynes

he needs to be played now even if its only a few games just to let mark know he has to improve and cut out the errors. He has been playing regularly so is the best time to play him. Putting him on the bench for 7-8 games and then giving him one game to 'prove'himself is unfair and no point.

BishopsParkFantastic

I think how Stockdale has been treated by Fulham is a disgrace. I think Schwarzer (generally) is a really effective goalkeeper, but we are talking here about giving a player like Stockdale a real opportunity in an 'apprentice' role - to develop and become more confident with more time in 1st team play. How many years has Stockdale been with the club ? He has had great games in very few appearances - he has performed well out on loan. I find some of the views about Stockdale on this site insulting to him - HE HAS (in recent times) REPRESENTED ENGLAND AT UNDER 21, AND BEEN SELECTED FOR THE FULL ENGLAND SQUAD. The world has gone mad! Jol's method of using loans I disagree with, and suspect it is more about taking players off the wages book. Schwarzer is approaching the end of his playing career with Fulham - Stockdale should be given the opportunity he deserves in the 1st team, as 'apprentice' to Schwarz, for the remainder of the season.

TonyGilroy

You can only play one keeper so it's a choice between Stockdale and Schwarzer - you can't keep them both happy.

I'm undecided about Stockdale's potential but the state of English keeping generally means that selection for England squads really means very little.

Sending people out on loan is to give them playing time - nothing else.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jol is now ready to play Stockdale or if a new keeper arrived in January but whether or not to persevere with Schwarzer is, at the very least, a difficult judgment call. There's no obvious right or wrong decision here.

Burt

It is clear to me that Schwarzer's form is not what it has been, and the best years of his career are behind him now.

On that basis I would be inclined to give Stockdale a go. He either steps up and succeeds, or doesn't quite make the grade, but at least we have an answer one way or another as to whether he is the long term replacement.

RaySmith

'On that basis I would be inclined to give Stockdale a go. He either steps up and succeeds, or doesn't quite make the grade, but at least we have an answer one way or another as to whether he is the long term replacement. '

Yes Burt - but we can't afford to gamble can we?

Burt

I agree - but to be honest with you, and I hate to say this, I feel we are gambling with Schwartz at the moment. His confidence is not what it was. He is still capable of making great saves, as we saw at Loftus Road, but his distribution is not there and he is flapping at crosses and long balls in the box.

It's a gamble either way.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Burt on December 20, 2012, 08:34:50 AM
I agree - but to be honest with you, and I hate to say this, I feel we are gambling with Schwartz at the moment. His confidence is not what it was. He is still capable of making great saves, as we saw at Loftus Road, but his distribution is not there and he is flapping at crosses and long balls in the box.

It's a gamble either way.

I think your right, Schwarzers form has been iffy of late and I think the defence is now getting nervous around him and dropping deeper to try and protect him.

I think its a gamble not playing him, if we don't ,he will surely leave in the summer without us ever knowing how good he is and whether he could have been our keeper for the next 6-7 years.

mangoputney

People mainly worry about stockers taking crosses into the box

Schwarzer has us covering our eyes every time he kicks the ball

Surely there's less crosses coming into our box if our gk can distribute to our players and stop putting us straight back under pressure

Stockers for me, from Sat
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

Rovertiger

No don't play him, he's rubbish  :005:

Only joking, he's been great for us these last 5 games and we're sorry to see him go. There's even a rumour we might be putting a bid in come January. After Jol's comment that we could keep him then 2 days later recall him came as a big surprise.