watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

baird and the penalty

Started by nose, December 28, 2012, 10:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

i just saw the incident again. At first i thought he was foolish and had done the wrong thing but as I watched it again (and again) it's clear the first offe4nce is Lambert's foul, and it is on baird himself, and I think Baird's arm is a reflex action to be manhandled by lambert, i think he was really unfortunate and Jol speaking out as he did has found a scapegoat to deflect from his bizarre and inexcusable half time and subsequent substitutions!

F(f)CUK

It is clear that Baird was pushed/nudged and that that led to the flailing arms. However, I do not think that the nudge would ever be called as a foul (unless it was on a keeper). Therefore penalty was the correct decision.

Roberty

With supporter like us the manager and players do not need any enemies.
In the world I live in s**t sometimes happens and we have to deal with it.
The only person who never made a mistake, did nothing and it is always easier to look back to see why things went wrong.

It is the season of good tiding and joy - does anyone have anything good to say about the club we all support?
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

JackyFulham90

It was silly from Baird as Lambert would not have scored from there and we would have won the game

Rupert

Quote from: nose on December 28, 2012, 10:39:50 AM
i just saw the incident again. At first i thought he was foolish and had done the wrong thing but as I watched it again (and again) it's clear the first offe4nce is Lambert's foul, and it is on baird himself, and I think Baird's arm is a reflex action to be manhandled by lambert, i think he was really unfortunate and Jol speaking out as he did has found a scapegoat to deflect from his bizarre and inexcusable half time and subsequent substitutions!

The important point you make is, after several viewings, you saw Baird had been fouled. The ref had no chance to have several goes at getting it right. He gave what he saw (the handball), not what he did not see. It is one of the things that make football unpredictable. I have had any number of occasions where I have given or not given a penalty and players have insisted I missed something. Without a doubt they have been absolutely correct on some of these incidents, on others I have called it right. But the poor old ref only gets the one go. The problem I have with Baird, in this case, was he should not have thrown his arm up, regardless of whether he had been fouled or not, as a professional he should know that this sort of nudge is not always picked up on, and I think Jol does have good reason to be annoyed with him.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

earlbeatty

This episode just about sums up our current predicament!!

The team is v.low on confidence, not playing well and Jol is making one or two strange tactical decisions.

Let's hope we get an absolute run around by Swansea and then nick it one nil!!

We've been here before and i still feel we can turn things around.

EB

Walsh

I personally think Baird was looking for the freekick and as fooballers do they fling their arms in the air when they get pushed.

Robbie

Baird should not have had his hands flailing around  ... his fault

HatterDon

stone penalty. No question.

The ref was more than lenient with us. I counted three occasions where Berba could have gotten his second yellow.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

CurryForMario

It's easy to blame the ref, but that won't get us anywhere. As footballers they must learn once a decision is given, just lay off and stop questioning - senderos got booked needlessly for precisely that.
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

Bassey the warrior

He was nudged but that didn't cause the flailing arm. I think he was just panicking, it was a stupid decision. Never raise your arms when defending a set piece.

nose

i actually wasn't trying to blame the ref, there job is very hard. It is a strange incident and went against us. I was making the point jol was quick to hang baird out to dry. it was baird's fault we lost two points according to jol. He would say that wouldn't he, what about the three bizarre substitutions especially the one at half time, that is what in fact cost us the win.
I am not blaming baird, stuff happens, I am not blaming lambert, he went for the ball, i am not blaming the ref, i think he got it wrong. But Jol's reaction is discgraceful.

filham

The sugestion that the handball was a reaction to a nudge is a new one, if our players are going to handle the ball evert time they are nudged then we have a big problem.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: filham on December 29, 2012, 11:19:34 AM
The sugestion that the handball was a reaction to a nudge is a new one, if our players are going to handle the ball evert time they are nudged then we have a big problem.

Just add it to the list.

Big problem number 83.

nose

that's not what i said or meant. He was nudged and I think I think his arm rising was a reaction to that inorder to maintain balance, that's what it looked like to me. his hand as a result touched the ball, i do not think there was intent.
Jol's version of what happened was fiction.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: nose on December 29, 2012, 10:41:32 AM
i actually wasn't trying to blame the ref, there job is very hard. It is a strange incident and went against us. I was making the point jol was quick to hang baird out to dry. it was baird's fault we lost two points according to jol. He would say that wouldn't he, what about the three bizarre substitutions especially the one at half time, that is what in fact cost us the win.
I am not blaming baird, stuff happens, I am not blaming lambert, he went for the ball, i am not blaming the ref, i think he got it wrong. But Jol's reaction is discgraceful.

I'm with Jol on this. It's refreshing that he was willing to admit that it was a penalty. Whether or not we played well the fact is we were winning when Baird handballed.