watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Diarra

Started by BedsFFC, December 28, 2012, 04:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Just looked at a website and it would appear that the Mali squad has been picked and he is in. http://www.mtnfootball.com/africa/african-tournaments/african-cup-of-nations/team-profiles/2013-afcon/mali.html

JackyFulham90

That's a blow for us, think he may regret it when he doesn't get a deal here for next season

Berserker

I would imagine the club will be rather annoyed if he goes there
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

The Doctor

I've just had a quick squizz round some websites, and I think that's a provisional squad list.

The CAF regulations state in Article 70 that the maximum squad size is 23 and must be announced by 9th January at the latest.  I know the front page refers to last year's competition, but I navigated there from the CAF 2013 pages so I assume these rules still hold.  If they do, then that squad of 34 must be the provisional list

So, looks like another couple of weeks of uncertainty about whether he's off to SA.  Bit of a catch 22 really...play him and he'll have proven his fitness and will go.  Don't play him on the grounds of fitness and see if we can muddle through the next 3 games without him

ScalleysDad

He ought to go. He has missed more games than he has played and it takes a while for a central midfield pairing to settle. If he goes and stays fit it will mid February before we can start over and if he does'nt go it will still be a while until he is 'match ready'. Like Ruiz he seems prone to injury but from another perspective he is a bit like Sol Campbell at Notts County .... he's not a solider.

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on December 28, 2012, 05:38:37 PM
That's a blow for us, think he may regret it when he doesn't get a deal here for next season
I second that, especially considering that Jol is trying to lower the average age of the team. Being linked with players like Henderson, I couldn't really see them two as a CM pairing but who knows.
Foolish ham

MasterHaynes

No lose situation then if we play him, if he breaks down we lose him for 4 games if he's fit we lose him for 4 games

leonffc

Quote from: MasterHaynes on December 28, 2012, 07:05:57 PM
No lose situation then if we play him, if he breaks down we lose him for 4 games if he's fit we lose him for 4 games

Good shout that. We pay his wages so lets pay him to play for us until he goes.

nose

if he goes to the african cup he should be kicked out of fulham!

leonffc

Quote from: nose on December 28, 2012, 07:43:37 PM

Unfortunately we can't do that but I doubt he'll get a new contract in June

nose

Quote from: leonffc on December 28, 2012, 07:45:51 PM
Quote from: nose on December 28, 2012, 07:43:37 PM

Unfortunately we can't do that but I doubt he'll get a new contract in June

good enough.

cebu

Quote from: MasterHaynes on December 28, 2012, 07:05:57 PM

Actually it could be worse. We lose him for 4 games if he goes - plus a yet to be calculated number of games when he comes back injured from the tournament.   :012:

tomcolemanfry

Really can't see this being a massive loss. He's never fit anyway, and the chances of us getting another centre-midfielder in the transfer window is quite high. Either that, or give bloody Kasami a chance!!!!

FFC4Life

He's their captain. If he's fit, he'll be in their squad.

CurryForMario

He'll regret going, however most people involved in the tournament really enjoy participating - and I doubt he'll reject going with his national squad, and Fulham definitely won't be able to talk him out of it.
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

Apprentice to the Maestro

If a player is called up by their national side then the player has to go (unless they have `retired' from international football) and if the club were to block them they would be fined. FIFA rules.

Bassey the warrior

I would be fuming if he went. He's barely featured for us. He should be thinking about the club paying his wages before anything else.

BishopsParkFantastic

It was Jol's decision to bring him to the club - he knew he was captain of Mali and would be going to the African Nation's Cup, and he knew about Diarra's injury record. The loss of Diarra's cool, controlled play has, I think, contributed to the loss of cover to our defence.

JackyFulham90

When Jol signed Diarra he had retired from international football he picked up his injury playing for Mali aswell

SmithyFFC

I think Jol and the club should make it clear to Diarra that if he chooses to go, considering his current injury record, AND the fact that Fulham gave him a contract after he'd been out of football year, he won't have a place in the squad to come back too afterwards. Simple.
FTID